Red dot

I live in the Southern Hemisphere and it is now summer
(14 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

First light frost was last night.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

First frost was last nite here too. Daylillies still green and mums still looking good.

Fall leaves are bright and beginning to fall faster.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think mums are native to the North Pole. We've dipped below for weeks now and my mums are still greeting me: "How's it goin Dahlia? Look at how prettiful we are. We're just bobbin and bloomin in the wind. What's for dinner? Poop or compost? Check out the frozen stiffs we're hangin with. This hood is definitely going down hill! Any new guys movin in next year?" Yupper I have very tough but chatty mums.

Jack Frost came to visit in some Oklahoma towns last night. He was not a welcome guest but made himself quite at home. Actually, he stole some of our flowers; my neighbors' Morning Glories are covered with black leaves. Grrr...I want to move somewhere where Jack Frost never comes to visit. I do not like Jack Frost; I do not and I will not and forever I shall not; it does not matter what he may say. Okay, I must have had too much sleep or not enough. ^_^

P.S. I voted any day now since "this week" wasn't an option.

April

dahlianut,
We crossed posted. You are funny; I like how you think. You must be a happy and creative person. Actually, I know you are...I saw your beautiful artwork on a thread here.

April

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL!! Dahlia, Don't forget that little wild aster singing I've got the blues ;0>

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Aunt_A. I try not to say f*r*o*s*t out loud because it gives him power and It's an 'f' word. I say 'kissed by Jack'. To be politically correct: I think Jack is a vandal who may have had an unfortunate childhood but in reality I'm thinkin: SNAP OUT OF IT! GET OVER IT JACK!!!! Sorry I only have mums left and its many, many,many sleeps til the 'Wakening of the Dahlias' so I'm a little cranky.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted just a couple days ago, I said it would be a month or more, heavy on the more, until frost. Well, that was a bad vote, we will have frost tonight. Lived in FL forever, I dont remember this ever happening before thanksgiving and more likely christmas

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

gardenglory this has been a weird, wacky and in some areas a very scarey year for weather. Hopefully your luvlies will come through just fine.

Is that why we have Jack O'laterns? But that isn't what Mitch's article today stated!!!Beware: Jack is hiding in the pumpkin.

Jack isn't a pansy snatcher. He doesn't rob from Mums too often either.

^_^

April

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Our first frost wasn't enough to do any damage. but the third one was down to 20F and killed all but the very hardy I have cabbages and peas still surviving in the garden. I'm ready for them to go bye bye too. I don't have much more room in the freezer. and I have enough canned.
Time to sit back and wait for the new catalogs to start coming ha ha ha. Still have to dig some bulbs that are not hardy. But I'm ready to take a break. Just think no mosquitoes till spring. LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

hmmm I don't have any pumpkins so why do I have Jack? hmmmmmmm. On the upside, for the first time in forever I think the kidlings won't have to wear parkas under their costumes this Hallowe'en. Prediction is for positively balmly.This is very exciting news. Perhaps I will get more sugar plum fairies this year ^_^

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cool randbponder. You have now entered the season of 'The Ordering'. Me too! This is a good thing IMHO. Of course you will be using the 'free money' budget method?

67 would be freezing here, nya-nya.

But I cannot grow blueberries, blackberries, apples, raspberries, pears, narcissus, lilacs, jonquils, spinach(!!) or red maples.

(Zone 7b)

It's going to hit here tonight.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o ya baby o baby molamola but we drool over what you can do nya-nya ^_^ Harmonyplace say it ain't so :O What's happenin? It shouldn't be this cold yet in the deep south should it??? gardenglory in FA is saying the same. OMG someone has let Jack loose on the planet :O Seriously hope your luvies hold up.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

There is first frost on my back porch................RIGHT NOW!!!!!

3a, are there ANY plants there????

Beyond my imagination. I grew up in 7b, and thought it was the North Pole, even when I was a little kid!

Ferocious cold front down thru the States, out to Bermuda, down coming after me, here in the Eastern Caribbean. It might stop, and clog up a wave coming from the East, and make a bad storm over very warm waters.

Hey! You Canuks! Control your cold fronts! haha.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

That's right, Dahlianut, all free, untill spring that is. Then if something shows up that I just can't do without, or that I can't trade for, I will just have to use a piece of plastic and pay, pay and pay. LOL
I save most all the seeds I need year after year. and come Spring our kitchen looks like a mini Greenhouse.
Untill then I enjoy the period of no bugs, skeeitters or wasps. I can lay back for a while.
If my driveway fills up with snow- - -nobody can come in and bother me, just have to love it.
Of course there is none of what is in this picture left but it serves as a reminder of what is to come. Just love it Hee Hee Hee.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I noticed there was no choice for snow. We've had snow already and it's snowing here this morning :-(

MollyD

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

randbponder, I'm a misplaced Moville-ian. Love that snow, esp. when it gets to where no one can come bother me! Jill

MollyD1953,

I remember treat or treating as a kid w/ coats, hats and gloves on in New York. It really didn't matter what costume I wore; it was covered up! Many times it was snowing. Now in OK, we'd be shocked at snow in October. LOL
Stay warm everyone!

April

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi April,

Funny thing is the forecast for Friday (Halloween) is for 65 degrees! How's that for a roller coaster ride? LOL

One year it started snowing around 3 pm Halloween and the weather people kept uping it from a dusting to 1 to 3" to 6 to 9" to 9 to 12 " ! It finally totaled 18" by morning! My boys only got the candy I had bought to pass out cause it was too dangerous to go out that night!

MollyD

Valsolda, Italy(Zone 9b)

It has been between 25-20C all autumn. Not a sign of frost. I think it will be at least another month. In the next week temps. reaching 28C!! It usually stays like that until the cold russian wind blows from the NE.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I New Orleans, it got down to 50 degrees last night. That's really cold for here.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

jomoncon my youngest son lived in NO till last year when he moved to Chattanooga. He found it so cold there after being in NO LOL. I had to laugh when he said that! It's way warmer there than here where he grew up! This year he's having an easier time adjusting to 'fall' temperatures there.

MollyD

65 degrees wow! My grandparents had a lake cottage in Canandaigua, I believe. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and cold, cold, cold damp winters.
Stay warm this year!

April

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks April! Those places on the lake do have gorgeous views!!

MollyD

Barstow, CA(Zone 9a)

Here in the Mojave Desert, we're just now getting into daytime highs below 90F night time lows typically mid 50Fs. I don't know when my first frost capable night time lows are going to be. The arid environment isn't likely to produce much of anything in the way of actual frost regardless because there isn't any water in the air to condense as frost. But it is about time for me to be considering suitable coverups for my prickly persons (cactuses growing in the ground not in planters and therefore not suitable for "bringing indoors") for those nights when the temps do get down near or a little below 32F. For sure there will be some "eventually". Might even be a brief stint of my despised snow "sometime" this Winter although I made it through the entirety of last Winter without ever seeing the white garbage from the sky other than during a February travel hundreds of miles northward. Thinking about maybe an electric blanket for my beloved prickly persons if we get anything serious in the way of a cold snap (below freezing) this Winter.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

First frost was last night. Got down to 28*

I picked my tomatoes and peppers for the 'third last time' yesterday afternoon.

Shepherd, MT

We had frost in September and over a foot of snow Oct 9-12

(Zone 6a)

we've had snow here.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Avianut; (randbponder, I'm a misplaced Moville-ian. Love that snow, esp. when it gets to where no one can come bother me! Jill )
You like that huh?
I don't have to worry about getting to work anymore so it really don't bother me.
Nice thing about being 90 miles south of here- you can have peach trees. There is one peach that will survive here but I don't remember what one it is.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We were supposed to freeze two days ago. Our home and garden are on a south facing hillside. We harvested most summer veggies out of the kitchen garden and prepared for the worst. I covered plants we did not have time to deal with and dragged in window boxes of impatiens and blackeyed Susan vine to enjoy for a few more weeks (sometimes they winter over in the house). DH dug up a few heirloom pepper gifts that were late comers to the garden hoping they will redden and give us seed to save.

We are now on a warming trend...a reprieve for a week or so.
Laurel

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Molamola- did you see this article this week on the real hardy plants?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1469/

Huntington Beach, CA

In So. Cal. It's down in the 40's and 50's at night, but in the 90's in the middle of the day. Last week it got up to 104 at around 3:30!!!!!

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

We just had 29 degrees here on Tuesday morning and 33 this morning, so I guess now we're going into Indian Summer.

Robinson, KS(Zone 5b)

Here in NE Kansas we had a frost a couple weeks ago then a freeze Sun - Mon A.M. and Mon. - Tues A.M... Turned off BEAUTIFUL yesterday afternoon and I believe it's to get up in the 70's today. I just pray we don't have another ice storm this winter. Dec 10 through the 17th last year was a cold, no electricity week. Who knew a toilet seat could be SOOOO cold!?!?!? Thank goodness we didn't have wind with it or we would have lost a lot more trees.

Thumbnail by amuckey
Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Sunny Central California Valley to be an unbelievable 80°-85° | 56° today/overnight; rain Friday night & Saturday; 65° | 47° on Sunday. Fall's finally coming!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.