October Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Marsue~It's also called Texas Sage (Salvia Coccinea). All of my seeds were supposed to be for the light pink variety (pic below), but somehow this wild hot pink to dark red one got in the bunch!

Thumbnail by stephanietx
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I know it as Texas hummingbird sage.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a similar sage blooming now. It too is red.
I did see my first Hummingbird in 13 summers last month.
For 10 years I kept a feeder filled.
I quit 2 years ago, wouldn't you know.
It's getting between 60 and 65º at night now.
A sputter of rain tonight.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

36* mixed snow/rain all day so far. Neary 5pm~ calm outside.

Snow and rain showers in the evening...then scattered snow showers after midnight. Snow accumulation less than one inch in the valley...up to 3 inches higher elevations. Lows in the mid 20s to around 30. Light winds.
Monday
Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers. Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds
Loved seeing all the sights and seeing what's going on. Short on time right now; till tomorrow.
My brother and I a few years ago:)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Stephanie, I am going to have to have some of the Hummingbird Sage for my garden next year. Except for Hot Lips, my salvias are some shade of blue and/or purple. Unfortunately, the Black and Blue Salvia got mealy bugs this past month and I had to pull up most of it. The other salvias didn't seem to be affected by the mealy bugs.
Sidney: it's amazing that you haven't seen a hummingbird in thirteen years!! Wow!!Adina: great sunrise!
Kiska: boy, that photo brings back memories! I have some photos that look very similar. "Lows in the mid 20's" Brrrrr!

Currently 66º and Dyson dark.

fan flower

Thumbnail by marsue
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, y’all have been busy! I spent most of the weekend outside playing in the dirt. Now I have a cold. Gary’s mother will pick him up this morning as he can’t be around me. I feel bad for him because he is quarantined in his bedroom until she picks him up.

Joey – Thank you for the JW fix. He is so adorable, his face the expressions LOL!
Marsue – A question. My rose is getting really leggy. What do I do?
Celia – That Alaska Cedar is beautiful.

I’m living vicariously thru the frost and snow posts. We’re back to warm and humid again. Aaaaaack :P

Kelli – Cool geyser pics!
Marylyn – You are so lucky there wasn’t more damage from Ike. I’m so glad you weren’t harmed. I grew up chalking up the driveway!
Kiska – Neat pictures of the salmon!
Rann – What a beautiful picture! Looks like a Christmas card.
Pepper – I mowed the lawn last weekend. We are so dry my car went from white to brown from all the blowing dirt. We haven’t had any significant rain since TS Fay.
Celia- How is Darrell doing?
Sidney – You got it! I bought a coleus yesterday on the clearance rack for $3. I’ll post a picture later for ID as it’s still DysonDark!
Marsue - Beautiful sunrise!
Adina – Beautiful sunrise too!
Stephanie – The Texas hummingbird sage is very pretty.
Kiska – Cute picture! Where did you grow up?
Marsue – I love that fan flower.

What happened to TamaraFaye?

Sidney - I forgot I took a picture of it yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Oops - forgot the weather

73.8 °F / 23.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 °F / 22 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. High 81. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's back to wet and windy here, the snow's all gone and it's 45°F currently at 10 am. It was very dusky this morning when I woke up, only a few days until I will be getting up in Dyson Dark again ....:-( Can't say I've missed that.

Great photos everyone :-)

Beautiful sunrises Adina and Marsue :-)

Sharon - thanks :-) Hope your cold clears up soon. How's Gary doing? Very pretty coleus.

Kiska - I love that photo of you and your brother a few years back ;-) Very cute.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

My 10 year old birthday girl :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Good RAINY morning!! What a great way to start a Monday!!!!!! We've had a little more than 1/4" of rain since sometime while I was sleeping. This is caused by a cool front moving through. I really hope we get cooler temps.

Currently 65º with light showers. Should get up to 82º this afternoon. My plants are saying "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Slurp!"

Here's a picture of my Pigeonberry I took a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! Happy (late) birthday, Selma Run!!

Your Pigeonberry is beautiful, Stephanie!

I'm sorry about your cold, Sharon. :-(

Yayyy for your Dodgers, Kelli! :-)

There's a 20% chance of rain today. I'm running the sprinklers now, so hopefully we'll get some. LOL Stephanie's cool front is going northeast, so unfortunately we're not likely to get any of it. Our high will be around 88° - still better than the upper 90s we're used to, so we're not complaining much. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (52 min ago)
Temperature 73 °F 23 °C
Dew Point 70 °F 21 °C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.2 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SE 130°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 77 °F 25 °C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1°F / 21.7°C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0°F / 22.8°C

I noticed my lipstick salvia doing it's thing. It had been planted for months. So far no good picture.
Sharon, Anytime you need coleus come by my house. Here is a great site for IDing coleus.
http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php
I have the same coleus, but don't know the name off the top of my head.
Kiska what a darling picture. I know your puppy was enjoying the ride too. I'd like a good sized tricycle myself right now. Not as big as Seed's DH's.
Stephanie I'm sure we have a dozen Pigeonberrys listed here. Do you know what cultivar that is?
These I have are native to Florida, but I'm sure they will grow in Ft Worth. These are Duranta http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Duranta&Search=Search+PlantFiles
Maybe we could swap seeds.
Marsue I want all your secrets on that thriving Fan flower. I might water mine too much.
Rann, what a doll and now I'm hungry.
Ric I now remember Joycet and I swapped plants.
Did she have a great coleus garden?
Sharon's weather covers me too.
Have a great day.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

27° ~ ice-encrusted everything; the snow/rain from yesterday is now ice.
Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers...snow mixed at times with rain this afternoon. Areas of fog in the morning.
Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds.
Rann~What a darling/and growing up daughter. Hildur Eva is beautiful; love the table/food, too. (Thanks, too, for thoughts).
MySharona~going through old photos, (not that old:))), this was a favorite. I grew up in Northern California, Redding area.
Stephanie~weather sounds good; the plant is very pretty, too.
Sugarweed~yep,the puppy was "loved" and ready or not, played with us. I love the color/blossom.
Yesterday was "eventful". We had a going away party for my daughter/family;
in addition, her oldest son, 18, had emergency appendectomy the night before.
He's doing well, the new technique/laproscopic surgery, certainly simplified recovery/etc. Susan missed half the party as she was at the hospital.
Sunset last week.

Thumbnail by kiska

Rann – Selma Run is a beautiful young lady! Happy Birthday! Yummy looking food/desserts you’ve got there!
Stephanie – Congrats on the rain!
Sidney – I was picking up some stakes for my Ficus Benjamina when I saw the coleus. I said “very pretty”. The guy that manages the department said he’d give it to me for $3. It was the last one.
Kiska – Glad to hear your GS is doing well after surgery. One of my co-workers just had an emergency appendectomy. Beautiful sunset.

Isn't he handsome? :)

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Way too much behind. Great pics, everyone! Love them all.

55°F with 66º for later today. Maybe more rain, maybe not. It's been raining since Saturday. The gardens are loving it! ☺
Feels like: 55°F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 40°
Humidity: 56%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 7:00 PM
UV Index: 6 Moderate

My friend from San Fran is coming into town on Thursday! Yea! She'll be here until Monday. The girl on the left is her.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Marylyn, from your photos, it definitely looked like a "big wind" (understatement) blew through your neighborhood! It also appeared that you and your family made the best of a bad situation--staying cool in the pool, drawing on the sidewalk, playing with flashlights, etc. I'm so glad there was no major damage to your home. Your street certainly looked different after all the debris was picked up--very peaceful looking, which I am sure was a great contrast to when Ike blew through!
Celia: some people just never learn how to drive, do they? Glad everybody was watching out for that person because she certainly wasn't paying attention, it would seem! Have fun with your friend this week-end!
Rann: that was certainly a "spread" that you had for Selma's birthday? Can you call her a "pre-teen" now that she is 10?
Sharon: didn't you know that Floridians aren't supposed to get colds--the weather is supposed to be too nice down there!! Feel better soon! About your rose--it must be time to do some pruning. Some of mine are getting leggy, too, but I will probably wait until after the first frost to prune them. However, since you are not supposed to have frost in Florida, I don't know when you should prune yours. You may need to "google" that information. The cardinal is beautiful!
Mattsmom, kiska and Rann--please make sure you keep your snow/ice, etc., up north, please!
Sidney: I don't have any secrets on the fan flower--except that it is planted in a bed that was made with a lot of horse manure!! I don't know if it is an annual or a perennial but I hope it will come back in the spring and spread out under all of my roses. That was my original intent when I bought it. By the way, how is TF doing these days? We miss having her post over here on the weather thread.
Kiska; hope your DGS is doing well after the appendectomy. These new surgical procedures are amazing and they certainly cut down on the recovery time! Pretty sunset coming through those trees.

Currently 81º but it feels cooler than that to me--probably because of the low humidity. It has been overcast all day-supposed to get some rain after midnight tonight. We can use it.

Mexican Hydrangea

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

Just doing some free-time reading.
rann~looks as if I've got the wrong birthday girl~sorry about that; Selma is just beautiful, too.
kwanjin~bet you'll have a great time with your friend.
MySharona~ it's a very handsome bird~~thanks, he's been up a few times and will be ready for their trip to Ireland at the end of the month.
marsue~sure you don't want something like snow and ice? It's very cool:)
Although, with all the "ditch-divers" this morning, many unhappy drivers about now, as repairs are in their future.
Thanks, too.

Rann, looks like a great birthday spread.

Celia, as Sidney stated, you are probably just as well off that the wisteria didn't survive. It would eat your trellis alive. It sounds like you need to add sulfur to your soil. I have alkaline soil and alkaline tap water, and when things start getting chlorotic, I give them iron sulfate or epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). I give the tomatoes gypsum (calcium sulfate) if they are getting blossom end rot. I have also given stuff just plain sulfur, but they seem to respond better to one of the sulfate minerals.

Hot again. Kiska, could you send some rain this way?

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 06, 2008
90 °F / 32 °C
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Firehole Falls

Thumbnail by Kelli

I'll try not to be too redundant with the thermal features but this one is a little different. This is Grand Prismatic Spring. From the air it looks like something from another planet. http://astrosurf.com/luxorion/Documents/yellowstone-grand-prismatic-spring.jpg

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Jewel Geyser. It's just a little one, but it erupts every 7 to 10 minutes, so we waited for it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is Old Faithful when it isn't erupting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Here are folks waiting for Old Faithful to erupt. It is 80 to 100 minutes between eruptions and it has been like that for as long as people have been keeping track. Most geysers are not predictable at all and some change with time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Old Faithful erupting - It looks just like all of the pictures you've seen. It doesn't make nearly as much noise as I was expecting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

rainbow near the ground

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kiska, quite a busy day, glad the fella is recovering.
I like surgeries that only require a band aid to cover.
These farewells are really just "see ya later"s.
Celia having good friends is the best company.
I also think I have some Sapphire blue sweet pea seeds here somewhere.
My 2 sky vines may also produce seeds...at least the one that's blooming. All are good trellis climbers.
Sharon, I recall that we are supposed to prune roses in January. I know that HGTVs Gardener's Diary had a show on good roses for Florida. You may be able to watch it online.
Dab of rain, 77º.
;)
Yellow Knock-out

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

kelli~if not cooler/wetter weather sent your way, at least you've got those beautiful falls to dream about. Very pretty. I love the Grand Prismatic Spring; gorgeous.
Sugarweed ~ I love the comment about farwell being "see you later"; very true. Yes, bandaid surgery is wonderful. Yellow knock-out for sure.
40 and cloudy at 3pm.

Kelli I love the geyser and Grand Prismatic Spring pictures.
If life were perfect I would have a cabin close to those falls.
Thanks,
Sidney

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Spotty showers off and on all day and tonight.  High of 76.  Now in the mid 60s.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hi Gang!
Sorry to be away so long.
Busy Busy getting the yard ready for Fall, getting the FPR buttoned up so we can work on it when the weather turns.
We've had a RU and a wedding the last two weekends so we are a bit behind on the construction.
Plus we need to get the GH done and pick up some plants from a friend about 50 miles away......
We did though find time to get a new TV last week.... a 50" plasma.... so the Football this weekend was AWESOME! LOL!

Weather cool and dry......
Maybe some rain or a T-Storm Weds....
BBL
Ric

Men and their plasmas. *shakes head* LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Audio is actually my big Toy.
I've spent years getting this system just right.
Actually it's replacing an old 26" we've had for 12 years.
It was fading fast.... but had a great picture for it's day.
The TV will get used far more for movies and DIY shows than sports.
(Football is about the only one I watch. Though Bull Riding even scared the Dog!)
PLUS I can put my camera card in it or hook it straight to the 'puter.
GIANT Monitor! LOL!

Ric

LOL. I love to watcdh bull riding! But I can see how it scared the dog.

(Zone 7a)

Oh, my! LOL Another day full of things to see and read! Just awesome, everyone.

We had another lovely I didn't get to enjoy. I did find this, this morning. I had given up on these blooming. I got one crappy pic but, as someone on the MG Forum said, it looks like I'm holding a cup of light.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Celia – Have fun this weekend with your friend! She looks very nice.
Marsue – We get frost. I’m as far North as one can get without being in Georgia. Will Google the roses. The Mexican Hydrangea is very pretty!
Kelli – I really like the geysers pics, esp the first one.
Sidney – Yikes, if I wait til January the rose bush will be 5’ tall! Definitely Googling! Beautiful Yellow Knock Out!
Ric – As DH would say “TOYS”! LOL!
Celia – That is a lovely picture!

72.7 °F / 22 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa(Steady)
Heat Index: 73 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 81. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We had a little rain yesterday morning, but not enough to make a difference, maybe 2/10". My heads is a little fuzzy around the edges and my face feels like an elephant is sitting on it. I've had better days and worse days.... blah...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The official forecast says "mist." Ummm... no. It's pouring out, with occasional rolls of thunder. The garden and birds will be very grateful. I ran the sprinkler yesterday, and when I went out to turn it off, there were doves playing in the water! They were flying through the top of the sprinkler and landing in a tree... then another one would do it, then they'd land and chat for a while before doing it again. Too funny. There were some black birds (I'm not sure what kind... probably cow birds - we get a lot of those) on the sidewalk where the water was puddling after running down our path. I was sorry I scared them all away when I came out. :-) I wish I had gotten a photo of the doves!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:27am CDT (12 min ago)
Temperature 73 °F 23 °C
Dew Point 69 °F 21 °C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH 14 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340°
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Heat Index 77 °F 25 °C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9°F / 23.3°C

Marylyn - "Our" birds like to play in the trees and rub themselves on the leafs when I run the sprinklers! They move from tree to tree when I move the sprinklers LOL!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: thanks but no thanks on the snow and ice. LOL If there were "ditch divers" up in your area, you should come down south and see what happens when we have even 1" inch of snow--and don't even mention ice on the roads!!
Ric: my DH finally gave up his search for the ultimate "TOY" after he nearly killed himself in a race car 11 years ago. Of course, a plasma TV is a lot less dangerous to one's physical well-being than a race car! However, you could always suffer from "remote thumb"--the arthritis you get in your thumb from flipping through the channels!! LOL
Sidney: I didn't even know "they" made yellow knock-outs. So pretty!
Celia: that MG looks as if it is glowing on the inside!
Sharon: you are doing a good job at keeping the birds well fed! Hope you are feeling better today!

We finally got some rain in our neighborhood--it rained off and on all night and more is called for today. The plants and trees are saying "THANK YOU!"
High today supposed to be 75º.

I found this in one of the pots on my back porch. It has been tentatively ID'd as "Euphorbia cyathophora" or, in plain English, some type of poinsettia. I have never seen one with the oak-leaf shape like this. I have no idea where it came from--perhaps planted by a bird?

edited to add: make a correction to that ID. It is: Euphorbia heterophylla L.
Mexican fireplant (aka "Summer Poinsettia)

This message was edited Oct 7, 2008 9:44 AM

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Hey everyone

It's stopped raining, the sun is out and currently it's 50°F. Not too bad at all. A bit breezy but nothing compared to yesterday.

I'm sorry to say it, but we made the news and not in a good way ........ http://edition.cnn.com/
Yesterday wasn't just bad weatherwise, the icelandic nation is facing a crisis unlike ever before I think is fair to say. We've been bombarded with unsettling news for the past week - possible food and gas shortage and national bankruptcy no less .... the press have been busy speculating while we've been waiting for some answers from the government. Quite a few people have stocked up on food in the past few days and although people are trying to stay calm I think everyone feels anxious as to what lies ahead. Yesterday and today we're finally getting some answers and they're not very uplifting although I don't think there's any need to go running to the grocery store and fill up the freezer ... yet anyways. It's all very unsettling and depressing in any case.

Kelli - wonderful photos of the geysers. It is pretty amazing that Old Faithful is still erupting on schedule. Our big geyser, Geysir, has been dormant for a very long time.

Kiska - hope your GS is feeling better.

Sharon - hope you'll be feeling better tomorrow. Cute photo of the cardinal.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on Selma and the "spread" - yes I guess she's a pre-teen now ....... how I wish they wouldn't grow up so fast. (sigh)

Hope everyone is having a better day than we are up here .......

Rann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear about the troubles over there in Iceland, Rann. As you may know, we are having our own troubles over here in the U.S. It would appear that things are somewhat shaky on a world-wide basis.

(Zone 7a)

Rann, if your girls are anything like my Crystal, they'll be giggling with you forever. She calls me almost eveyday just to get a smile. And your "spread" WAS wonderful! LOL Economic troubles are never easy to deal with. People aren't sure how to react. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Mau, your poinsettia is beautiful. How long have you had it?

Sharon, tell that elephant I'm sure he's a very nice elephant but he needs to sit elsewhere. Your cardinals are so cute! I so wish we had them. Our birds are mostly drab colors. We get the occassional goldfinch, bluebird or other colorful bird but not very often.

52°F with 73º for later today. More rain for the weekend, which will be just fine because my friend and I plan to spend ALL our time in front of the TV! LOL
Feels like: 52°F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 6:58 PM
UV Index: 5

Gaillardia.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Rann, if your girls are anything like my Crystal, they'll be giggling with you forever. She calls me almost eveyday just to get a smile. And your "spread" WAS wonderful! LOL Economic troubles are never easy to deal with. People aren't sure how to react. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Mau, your poinsettia is beautiful. How long have you had it?

Sharon, tell that elephant I'm sure he's a very nice elephant but he needs to sit elsewhere. Your cardinals are so cute! I so wish we had them. Our birds are mostly drab colors. We get the occassional goldfinch, bluebird or other colorful bird but not very often.

Kelli, you must have taken a thousand pictures! All of them worthy of a coffee table book!

52°F with 73º for later today. More rain for the weekend, which will be just fine because my friend and I plan to spend ALL our time in front of the TV! LOL
Feels like: 52°F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 6:58 PM
UV Index: 5

Gaillardia.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread