October Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin' All! :D We were under a frost warning last night, 13 counties were included. Right now the temp is 40° w/ intermittent light. :)
At Dublin...
Frost advisory
Clear: 39°F
Feels like: 37°F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 39°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:21 AM
Sunset: 7:02 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

E_B, Love the 'little_bloomer'! :D Certainly a nice looking trio, but the little one is a doll baby! Adorable! :D LOL!! Just wait until he is about 1 year old! ;) I know what you mean...getting old. :) Va.'s trout level are in decline, too. WV, I feel sure they are here, too, but have not read any articles on it yet. I do know that the native Browns seem to be doing well. We have a stream (Tug River) where they seem to be thriving. Sorry your son had such a close call w/ the deer. DD had an encounter similar to that once...but the deer stabbed itself w/ the cars antenna!
Celia, Love the Silver Mist! Does it get tall? How is DH doing w/ the DT's? Pretty Monarda!
Marsue, Thanks for the Link! And for you 'withdrawal' symptoms...I can oblige! :D Is that a big lake in you pic?
Kelli, I hope you are feeling better today...
Sharon, Love the Hibiscus! Wow! The Damselfly is pretty, too. :D LOL!! 'Michelin kitty'! ---How is Gary's platelet level or have they retested yet?
Sidney, Thanks, Love the Pigeon Berry! The BF's must certainly love it. Quite unusual! :D
Marylyn, Ahhhhh, So good to have you back! It's like there was a piece of our puzzle missing! ;)
Rann, I'm glad that you had the opportunity to go, but am glad that you are back. Every time that you show us a pic of the girls...I think they get taller every time!
Kiska, Everyone there is in my thoughts & prayers.

Have a Great Day!!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Living in TX makes me appreciate our long summers, short winters and sometimes long springs. We really have no fall. One day it's hot and the next it isn't. Just reading about temps up there in WV, PA and all that in the 30's and 40's makes me glad I don't live up there. I'm sure the people are very nice but I like my hot weather. 30's & 40's are really cold winter temps for us, you see. I have lived where the temps were lower, sooner and didn't like it much and now in my "golden years" I get cold much easier.

Ann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Dyson: hope you catch up on your rest this weekend.
Celia: "Silver Mist" is pretty as is the bee balm(monarda). Hope Darrell is doing okay with his quitting smoking campaign.
Sharon: the term "Michelin kitty" made me laugh!! Have you put Sylvester on a diet yet? (and was there an egg under there?--LOL) Boo is sure enough "her royal highness--the Queen Kitty". By the way, I will definitely NOT be putting Donkey Ears into a bigger pot--LOL!
Sidney: love that pigeon berry!
EB: sorry about your son's "run-in" with the deer. Deer can really do some major damage to a car (and vice versa). I had $3000+ damage to my car several years ago when a whole herd of them jumped out in front of me! Fortunately, I only hit one of them that I know of and it ran off.
Joey; thanks for the JW fix--I can hear him squealing now when you try to get some sugar for me from that sweet little neck!! No, that was just a pond in the photo above--not a lake.
Ann: I'm with you--glad I don't live up there in the "frozen north". My feet stay cold all winter down here in the South, as it is!

More lovely autumn-like weather today--
Today:Sunny
High 78°F
Precip 10%
Wind: SE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 57%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 7:05 AM CT
Avg. High: 79°F
Record High: 90°F (1973)
Tonight: Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 52°F
Precip 10%
Wind: ESE 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
Sunset: 6:48 PM CT
Avg. Low: 53°F
Record Low: 37°F (1985)

Another pic from the hay field in the photo above

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, that's what I get for posting so early! LOL My appologies to Her Highness.

No, Joey, the Silver Mist doesn't get tall. 6 feet and 4 feet wide. Perfect for my yard except it's only hardy to Z6 and I'm Z5. I could try it but I'd have to mulch A LOT!

I think I'd have better luck with an Alaska Cedar. This is "Glauca Pendula".

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Rain and snow showers in the evening. Snow showers likely after midnight. Snow accumulations 1 to 3 inches toward Hatcher Pass. Little snow accumulation elsewhere. Lows in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Variable wind 10 mph.
"They" could be wrong, but it does look like it could snow. Very gray, low clouds, 41 degrees, so a bit warm right now.
Again, thanks you all so much for the thoughts and prayers; it means a lot.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Another bright beautiful cool autumn day .... no rest for the wicked, I have to work tomorrow. But that is OK, we can use the bread.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Dyson!!! I thought that was "rest for the weary!"

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Thank you for the get well wishes. I think I'm starting to get better.

Not hot, for once.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 03, 2008
75 °F / 24 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

These are pictures from Norris Geyser Basin

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli

It will not let me post another picture unless I write something so I am writing something.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I can still almost smell these things. It's a hot, steamy, sulfur smell, kind of like boiling eggs, and not nearly as strong as something like an oil refinery.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was another nice day here, although the heat is back. It's going to be in the 60s tonight, which is not quite as cool as it has been. Ah, well... We still have several more weeks before anything really resembling fall gets here. :-)

I don't miss the cold of the north either, Ann! ^_^

Thanks for the JW fix, Joey! Your little bloom is adorable, too, E_B. :-)

If you're interested, here are a few photos we took after the hurricane: http://picasaweb.google.com/commerce.acct/HurricaneIke?authkey=6WxlPUSGxX0#

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (30 min ago)
Temperature 88 °F 31 °C
Dew Point 59 °F 15 °C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir S 180°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 88 °F 31 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 57.9°F / 14.4°C

I'm glad you let your kids draw on the sidewalk. We were never allowed to do that.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric - that is a delicious shot of that deer. I raised my family on a lot of game and deer in the 70's and 80's. They grew up BIG and strong. LOL And they all know how to skin and dress an animal. I taught them survival techniques in gardening and hunting/fishing. And hoped they never had to use them.

Temps at 44 deg this AM, overcast and cloudy al day with a high 60 deg. We are closing down the gardens for the year. I still need to spread about a ton of mulch. Picture this ole lady unloading bags of mulch from the pickup truck into a wheelbarrow, then spreading it with a pitch fork. LOL - funny. They say it keeps you healthy - I think it makes you tired.

(Zone 7a)

So nice to see most of you back.

Kelli, good to hear from you again. We kinda missed you.

Kiska, your family means more than anything. I sure miss mine when they aren't around.

Marylyn? Awesome pictures! LOL We got to draw on the sidewalk when I was a kid. So much fun.

This girl doesn't know how to drive. She stopped everyone in the turn lane so she could get into her apartment driveway. The good part is, everyone was honking at her by the time she finally turned.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2008 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Tomah, WI

We had our first frost here overnite. Current temp 32.

(Zone 3b)

Patchy fog this morning. Otherwise...
increasing clouds with isolated rain and snow showers.
Highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Variable wind to 10 mph
34° ~ dark sunrise: 8:12am
kwanjin~how true. Nice photo/slice of life ~ she'll not forget that moment:)
hi mattsmom: glittering frost is so beautiful; a very pretty transition.
se_eds~ tired and funny:) that would be a lot of work; but from what I've seen here, you always work hard. By the way, the minced parsley was great in the tuna salad. Thanks.
marylynnT_X~wow ~ the photos from your area/home were quite an eye opener. Glad you're all ok.
kelli~ feeling better and better? Sure nice seeing your trip and all the sites you visited.
music2keep~ JW looks as if he is reading:) So glad he's enjoying the books. He looks so cute and to see the phase from infant to toddler, has been a joy.
MySharona~what a cutie ~
Hi to all ~ have a great weekend.
September 26, the gkids and I went to watch the last of the salmon heading upstream.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Salmon~ from the Pacific Ocean to Palmer, Alaska. End of their journey.

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I always enjoyed watching the Salmon while I was in Ketchikan. Also the eagles fishing for Salmon.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Forgot :

Thumbnail by Dyson

That's neat that you get to see the salmon.

I think I feel a tiny bit better than yesterday. DH brought this back from his last business trip. He caught it on the plane. This is part of the reason why I hate to fly. More times than not, I end up getting a sinus infection. This time I wasn't even the one who flew. DH left today to go to Japan. I hope he brings me something, but not another disease.

60% chance of precipitation today. Woo! Woo! I've lived here long enough to know that I'll believe it when I see it. I figure we might get at most 0.1 inch of rain and then Santa Ana winds will start on Sunday or Monday. Anyway, it's pretty dark out. Later when I go read, I need to turn the light on. Usually that room is pretty bright.

Updated: 8:31 AM PDT on October 04, 2008
61 °F / 16 °C
Light Drizzle
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 55 °F / 13 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the South
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 800 ft / 243 m
Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 2000 ft / 609 m
(Above Ground Level)

This is a wildlife traffic jam. When you come to one of these, you know there are wildlife nearby.

It's going around, Dyson.

Wildlife traffic jam, take 2.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It snowed here on Thursday night! And it's still here :-) or :-( depending on how you feel about snow. The girls are thrilled ....... I think it's a bit early but it's supposed to be gone tomorrow so it's alright ;-) lol

Marylyn - great photos :-) I see Ike left quite a bit of mess behind. Glad there wasn't much damage. How long were you without electricity?

Celia- good luck to your DH. Love the Silver mist cedar - just gorgeous :-) I'd want one too if I lived where they could grow ;-)

Kiska - so sorry for your family's loss.

Sharon - Loved the photos of Silvester and Boo - they made me laugh :-)

Joey - JW is as cute as ever! He's getting big :-)

EB - great family photo :-) little bloomer is just too cute :-) And yes it was quite a wake up call ...... and we needed it since it was around 4 am west - European time (2 am local) when we got out of the airport ....... we were so tired I was worried DH couldn't keep awake on the way home ...

It was such an exhausting trip. The plane was one of those really crowded ones with no room for your legs and seats that hardly leaned back at all so it was pretty impossible to get any sleep ..... when we got out of the airport at 2 am and picked up our car it had really low airpressure in all tires so we had to hunt for a gas station with an air pump ...... that took half an hour, then it was a half hour drive home so it was just after 3 when we drove into our street ....... and would you believe it - we got pulled over by the police! ARRRRGGGGHHH ..... it was DUI check .. after all it was 3 am on a Saturday night , but we just wanted to get to sleep! I don't think I've ever been so happy to be home and crawl into my own bed .... EVER! lol

It's been a beatiful day here today. Sunny with a high around 38°F. The girls are enjoying the snow while it lasts :-) I'm busy preparing for Selma's birthday party tomorrow, she turned 10 last Sunday.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :-)

Rann

The view out the living room window on Thursday night. The girls were so excited to see the snow, you'd think they'd never seen it before. LOL Hildur Eva wanted to sing christmas carols, but I told her it was a tad too early for that! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Kelli - neat photos of the geysers and I'm glad you're gradually getting better :-) The smell from the geysers is a very familiar smell to us here - that's how our hot water smells. I don't mind it, it's so faint we barely notice it. But tourists find it really weird. However, about a year or so ago a geothermal electric plant opened east of Reykjavik and when the wind's blowing from the east or it's calm outside there's that sulfur smell in the air here. I was really surprised at first and wondered if there was a busted hot water pipe somewhere in the neighborhood - the smell (stink) can be really strong sometimes - I can't say I'm very fond of it .......

What kind of wildlife caused all that excitement?

Rann

Our snowy street, yesterday morning

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

Lucky you, Rann. Snow in October happens here but not very often and not so much. We can see snow in the higher elevations. Makes the skiers happy. Not me, though! LOL

Kelli, I so need to go back the Yellowstone. It's been way too long. Thanks for the reminder.

Awesome that you get to see salmon. A beautiful and yummy fish.

55°F with only 63º for our high. It's raining! Yea!
Feels like: 55°F

Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 50°
Humidity: 83%
Visibility: 6 miles
Wind: 11 mph S
Sunrise: 7:27 AM
Sunset: 7:03 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

(Zone 5a)

Celia - snow this early in October is also very rare here - it was a real treat for the girls. And since I'd planted all my bulbs I don't really mind either ;-) lol There was actually a soccer match today - the final in the soccer cup here and they had a lot of snow to clear off the field before the match could take place! lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Our electricity was off for 13 days, Rann. Long enough! :-) We had a generator overnight the very last night. Your snow photos are beautiful, especially the night one.

I think I see a deer sitting down in the photo, Kelli... Was there other wildlife there, too? I hope your dh brings you a non-viral souvenir from Japan, too! My dh would love to be sent to Japan on a business trip... He generally gets sent to exciting places like Milwaukee instead. LOL He has loved Japan for years.

There is no rain in our forecast until maybe Monday... I need to remember to turn the sprinkler on tomorrow, as hard as that is to believe! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (56 min ago)
Temperature 86 °F 30 °C
Dew Point 57 °F 14 °C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 30.11 in 1019.7 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH
G 21 9 kts
G 18
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 85 °F 29 °C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 66.9°F / 19.4°C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 86.0°F / 30.0°C

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Sunny, warm with a slight breeze. Rain coming in tomorrow night, Monday and Tuesday. We desperately need it to kill the dust on the roads and to wash my truck. Can't tell what color it is right now with all the dirt on it.

Rann, that traffic jam was caused by elk. We also saw bison traffic jams. (Is it true that in Europe, what Americans call an elk is called a wapiti and what Americans call a moose is called an elk?) I read that none of the geysers in Iceland are in their natural state - all have been turned into spas or geothermal plants. Is that true? Since geyser is an Icelandic word, how is it pronounced in Icelandic (the best you can phoentically spell it)? We heard British people calling them "geezers".

Marylyn, DH usually gets trips to the glamour capitols, too, like Tulsa and Phoenix. He's never been to Japan before. Neither have I. He didn't seem all that thrilled to be going, but the conference he'll be attending will be boring.

No rain, but this was the coolest day we've had in a long time. They're calling for it to be hot again next week.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 04, 2008
66 °F / 19 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 3600 ft / 1097 m
(Above Ground Level)

This is Artists Paintpots.

Thumbnail by Kelli

a little blub thing - That's my word. I called all the little things "blub". When we were kids and we didn't have a word for something, we made one up.

(Let's get with the program here, Kelli.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Scenery of no particular significance

Thumbnail by Kelli
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Seeds here's hoping your tired yields great vigor.
I know your place is gracious and awesome when all those blooms there are popping.
Kiska, fresh Salmon sounds soooo good.
I may have to come try some one time. I agree with Ann though and am ever grateful it stays warm longer than not.
Rann, a Police stop is always aggravating. So glad your DH was sober.
That resembles a Winter Wonderland to me. I agree with Hildur Eva, time to sing christmas carols.;)
Joey that dollbaby needs to come visit me. I'm sure he's all backed up with Grandmas already.
I would love some GBs, but I don't think my son has any interest in getting married.
Marsue I made a wish on one of those bales.
I love Harvest and seeing everything getting lined up for inspection.
Celia Hope DH is coming along okay. The hardest habit to break, period!
Pepper I can remember long dry autumns and dust crusted cars.
My car is covered in some kind of pollen so it might as well be dust.
Kelli hope just reading about it won't hurt.
Great that your DH gets to travel to good places.
Those Geysers are a trip. Is Old Faithful still on time?
Sharon next spring I want cuttings of Manarda and Lady Margarite.
Marylyn I enjoyed those pictures. Even a shot of you. All looked terrific in spite of the distress.
77.4 °F / 25.2 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/hfrom the East
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 °F / 26 °C
Sidney.
Copperleaf again,

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 5a)

Marylyn - wow 13 days! Sheeshhh that must have been tough!

Kelli - great photos from Yellowstone :-) That's a place I'd really like to visit ;-) Yes it's true that the moose is called an Elk in Europe (Elgur in Icelandic), not sure what they call the Elk. We pronounce geyser : gaisir (ai = hair; i=in with a hard r on the end ;-) lol) Hope your DH has a good trip to Japan.

Sidney - lol - I'm not ready for Christmas carols until november at the earliest ;-)

Rann

(Zone 7a)

Yes, Sidney, it is hard. Now if I could just get my brother to stop drinking for good. He's asked me to help him but I can't be there ALL the time.

Such a day! Moose traffic jams, deer traffic jams, painter's leaving their paintpots everywhere, coleus running amok...what's the world coming to? LOL

Anybiody have a suggestion on what to put here? It's full sun and whatever it will be should be a climber. I can't get anything to grow against this wall. I think lime is leaching from it. (the wall) I've had 2 roses and a wisteria. They all died.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Celia, sometimes you just get lucky as in the Wisteria didn't live. They are Uber Invasive.
However a good solution to lime leach is to sink a pot
with good soil and plant in it. I'd use a 3 gallon plastic pot. I bet climbing roses would then grow there.
Then, I could send tou a start of Kudzu.
LOL
;)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm behind again--LOL!
Kelli: loving the continuing "tour" of Yellowstone. We had a well back in the '80's that had water that smelled like sulphur. A filter on it did the trick--took away the hard water feel and the "rotten egg" smell. Glad you are feeling somewhat better. Maybe you should "de-bug" your DH before he comes back into your house after his trip to Japan. I don't know how you would do that, though, unless you spray him with Lysol or something, which I don't recommend! LOL
Joey: JW is "reading"!! LOL I take it that Kiska sent him that book?
Kiska: you get to see in person the things we only get to see on the nature shows on TV. Only one thing is missing--where are the grizzlies that like to eat all those salmon? Hopefully, they are far, far away from you!!
Rann: that nighttime snow scene(or was it early morning?) is lovely. I still have one of your snow scenes in my screen saver folder from last year.
Marylyn: 13 days without electricity--you were really roughing it! We were without electricity for 3 days once due to an ice storm and I thought that was bad.
Sidney: I have never heard of wishing on a hay bale (stars, yes)--what's that all about? LOL
Celia: Sidney's suggestion about the pot sounds like a good one. Either that or find a plant that likes lime! LOL

DGS' football team lost their game yesterday afternoon: 29--15. So far they have won 3 and lost 2.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood here. We didn't get any rain in our area yesterday although some other parts of the state received some showers. High today supposed to be 82º. Currently it is 70º and sunny. This is shortly after sunrise this morning--the clouds have now gone away.

Thumbnail by marsue
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's going to be another warm and windy day today. Fall hasn't arrived in my part of the world yet! LOL I wish it would hurry up, though. Going to be in the upper 80s/low 90s today with lots of sunshine and wind. Supposed to have a "cold front" coming through in the next day or so. Temps will drop into the low 80s for highs. I'll take it!!

The bees were enjoying my Hummingbird Sage this morning while I was out collecting seeds.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great photo, Stephanie! I love all kinds of salvia/sage. Is that its real name--"Hummingbird Sage?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Wow, I am so way behind! Beautiful pics everyone! It's been a busy week here , it was warm, but it's raining and it's cold again today.
This is a sunrise from a few days ago.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.