October Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia, I don't know how long I have had the poinsettia in the photo above. It just popped up in that pot and I didn't notice it until about 3 weeks ago. It is only about 8 inches tall. LOL
Your gaillardia is very pretty. Can you collect seeds from it or is it sterile like my Oranges & Lemons?

Now this poinsettia is one I bought at Lowe's last year before Christmas. It has been on my back porch all summer but it is about time to bring it inside. I hope it "blooms" this Christmas season!

currently it is 70º and overcast--very pleasant.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

It makes seeds and, if I recall correctly, this was the time of year this particular color came out. I'm going to try spreading them around the bed this winter. Do yours have to be reseeded by you every year?

(Zone 3b)

32° Sunrise 8:20am
Today
Cloudy. Isolated snow showers in the morning...then snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch.
Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds.
marsue~the poinsettia is fantastic; never knew they'd get past Christmas and thrive.
kwanjin~the gaillardia is gorgeous. I used a previous photo of one for inspriation for a bowl. I seem to get a lot of inspriation from the photos/blossoms posted on DG.
rann~thanks, he's doing well and can go back to work Friday. So sorry to hear of the uncertainty there. It can be unnerving as things are changing and you feel helpless. Hopefully, it's going to settle out soon all will be better.
ric~sounds like a wonderful addition, especially now with football underway.
The results of the Gaillardia inspiration.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous bowl, Kiska!! Is that one on your website? Glad the GS is better and able to go back to work. 32º---brrrr!! Yep, poinsettias do make it past Christmas. Unfortunately, too many people don't realize they can keep them throughout the year. I have another poinsettia that I have had in a pot for years and it blooms for me, too.
Celia, this is the first year I have had the Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia but the info I have on it is that it is sterile and won't set seed. However, it is supposed to come back from the roots in the spring. I sure hope it does because I really, really like it--and so do the bees and butterflies!

(Zone 3b)

marsue~thanks, and yes, it's on my site.
How nice to have a poinsettia for years~very good information.
A few days ago I'd posted a photo of the bonfire and mentioned the giant "malvaviscos", (marshmallows).
My daughter had some left, so I took a pic to show the size difference. We got them in Las Barrilles, Mexico last spring. They are very dense and have a vanilla flavor.
Malvaviscos from Mexico, regular marshmallows, and tiny marshmallows.

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marsue – I started popping Airborne yesterday. I swear by that stuff. I feel better tonight. Pretty poinsettia! Mine is huge again.
Rann – I hate to hear about your economy. Ours is awful too. I think all this “speculation” isn’t doing anyone any good.
Celia – I think my Gaillardia makes seeds too. I’ll have to check after one of the blooms dies.
Kiska – Beautiful bowl! Now that is what I call a marshmallow! You only need 1!

77.0 °F / 25.0 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 °F / 26 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers. Low 68. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

My E. Hookeri has 12 little buds right now. I'm so excited - this will be the 3rd times it blooms this year :)

Here is my Gaillardia - slightly different from Celias

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Close to darkness, it was a pleasant afternoon.

Night all.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Overnight low was 28 deg here. Fist frost. Killing frost around here is 25 F. I did pick all the tomatoes yesterday and the dalily scapes with almost ripe seed pods and brought them inside.. Today was a lovely day with high above 60 deg. A good day to be living in Pa.

We actually had to cut the Grass yesterday. I still have daylilies to transplant. LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sharon, my epi had a bud before the hurricane, but it's gone now. (sniff...) ^_^

Good night, Dyson!!

Brrr, se_eds... I'm sure not ready for 28°! After the rain passed through this morning, it was hot and muggy - as usual. But tonight it's going to get down into the 50s and tomorrow will just be in the mid 80s. It sounds wonderful. :-)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Spotty rain this morning- it missed me but hit my grandma's, grrrrr. Cloudy all day and chilly out.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I wonder how much of financial panic is generated by the media. The media say that the economy is going bad so people start cutting back and this makes the economy worse, and so on and so on.

Hot again.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 07, 2008
97 °F / 36 °C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 32 °F / 0 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Grand Geyser

Thumbnail by Kelli

Vent, Turban, and Grand Geysers all going off at the same time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

fringed gentian

(I think I took something like 280 pictures.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Old Faithful

Thumbnail by Kelli

Old Faithful Inn and Firehole River

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli WONDERFUL geyser shots.
I remember being less than impressed w/ the geysers but Loved the sulfur pools.
SO much color , if a bit stinky! LOL!
We lost our food box and cooler to bears when we were there in the mid 60's.
Cool if you're a kid though!

Rann I've been following Iceland's dilemma.
Dosen't look good there. No hopeless just not good.
World Banks are hustling to get some help there though.
GOOD LUCK!

Kiska that Bowl is Beautiful!

We should be into the rain by morning.
Then warm, for this time of year, and dry thru the weekend.

For the record I and Robyn aren't channel surfers.
(Well I do surf NFL Package but..... lol!)
Mostly we watch prerecorded shows and wiz thru the commercials.
I do that w/ Football too....
start watching about 45 minutes into a game.... you hit half time when they do....
Then work for an hour and start the 2nd half.... I usually end the game w/in 5 minutes of real time.

We also watch a lot of Series programs on DVD.....
4 half hour episodes take about an hour and 15 minutes...

Here's where we are so far on the FPR.
The north wall is completed except for the shingles.
East Wall is 1/2 framed... we're 'baying' the wall for extra storage space and plant shelf windows.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, I think the Yellowstone bears are less tame now. The park has done of lot of educating to keep people from feeding and attracting bears. We didn't see any at all, or even any sign of any and that was supposed to be the time of year when bears are fattening up for hibernation. I would have liked to have seen some grizzlies at a distance.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

A fresh marshmallow is so tasty.
I don't know if I ever tried a Mexican one all those years I lived in El Paso.
You did a great job with your Gaillardia inspiration bowl.
Celia very pretty cup of light and Gaillardia.
Sharon your bug could be pollen. Some yellow dust on my car makes me suspicious.
Rann at least the whole world is going thru about the same stress, not that I would wish it on anybody.
I decided to spring for a new TV too Ric, as I could get it interest free in 4 equal installments. I figured I'd get one before anything else happens.
God has been very good to me and I am thankful.
Cooler and darker.
Marsue I think you are supposed to put the Poinsettia in a dark closet for a few weeks, but don't really know.
;)
Purple Porterweed

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Just about 20c at night but had a great deal of rain and we just had another earthquake,
does that count as weather? Does here.Looking forward to the winter clear and dry
and perfect gardening weather. I've soooo much to do.

Se_eds – Sounds like you had a nice day. I’m looking forward to cooler weather.
Marylyn – I’m sorry about your epi bud. I lost a couple of buds when I moved it in the garage during TS Fay.
Kelli – Seems to me every time “they speculate” the numbers drop. We’ve lost $$, seems like there isn’t a safe place for retirement funds except maybe a mattress LOL! The geysers are awesome! I can’t imagine ever getting used to seeing them “blow”.
Ric – You are moving along with the FPR! Nice job! Feel free to come down when you’re done..I have some “honey do” that Jeff thinks are “honey don’t want to do’s”! What would be a good zoom lens for my D40X?
Sidney – I wish this was an allergy, but this is a cold. It’s been going around up here, seems like everyone has it. I have year round allergies. I think they are easier to deal with.
Pajonica – Welcome! I hope you and your family are ok. Another earthquake? I haven’t heard anything about it. It will probably be on the national news.

74.8 °F / 23.8 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 82. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Kiska - Don't look - sorry - I caught the baby tree frog in mid jump.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone :-)

Thanks everyone for your reassuring words. It's going to get bad before it gets better, but it will get better someday we must hope. What makes this worse for us is our currency is dropping like a rock which makes it pretty worthless and since we're very dependent on imported goods that's a big problem. Prices will be going through the roof. And the poor people who were foolish enough to take on foreign loans are in big trouble ........

The weather is pretty nice - light breeze, partly cloudy and 46°F.

Sharon - cute frog. It took me a while to find it since it's the same color as the plant ;-) lol

Kelli - so true about the press. Sometimes I think they should just be quiet! lol They were close to causing a national panic here last week, shame on them ....... Wonderful photos - thanks for sharing them :-)

Kiska - beautiful bowl :-) And those are some really huge marshmallows!

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Here's a photo from our trip. I'm so glad we had the chance to go before everything went bonkers - I can't even tell you. People are cancelling their vacations now because foreign currency is almost impossible to come by and it's horribly expensive. The kr. was around 145 to the dollar yesterday. It's never ever been so weak.

Happier days - I'm sure you recognise this one ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: those are some really big marshmallows--they would be great for making s'mores!
Wow, Rann--it must have been awesome to see the Eiffel Tower "up close and personal"! So sorry about the problems with your Icelandic currency! I'm glad you and your family were able to make your trip before things started going "south", financially speaking.
Sharon: it took me a while to find the frog, too. He looks like the end of the leaf! LOL I hope the elephant got off your head!
Welcome, pajonica! Earthquake--yike!! Yes, I would definitely count it as weather, even if they are not caused by atmospheric conditions.
Sidney: lovely porterweed!
Ric: the FPR is coming along nicely--looking forward to photos of the finished product soon!
Kelli: more great photos! thanks for the tour!

Still overcast and cool here--currently 60º. High today 75º Low tonight 49º

--It's time for me to bring my potted plants indoors. I don't know where I am going to put them all.

Sharon--I'm afraid if I bring the Donkey Ears inside it will get so big that it might wrap its "tentacles" around us in the middle of the night! LOL
I counted more than 20 babies on its leaves yesterday. These are just a few of the babies. HELP!! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Too much to comment on. Again. Gotta fly!

48°F with 69º for later. It looks like it's going to be very cold this weekend.
Feels like: 47°F

Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 39°
Humidity: 71%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph ENE
Sunrise: 7:32 AM
Sunset: 6:56 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

"WINTER-LIKE STORM TO HIT REGION THIS WEEKEND...
AN UNSEASONABLY COLD STORM SYSTEM IS TARGETED FOR UTAH THIS WEEKEND. ALTHOUGH THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL FILTER IN ACROSS THE REGION DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS THE BRUNT OF THE SYSTEM WILL AFFECT THE STATE SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY. SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO COME DOWN TO THE VALLEY FLOORS FOR ALL OF UTAH EXCEPT DIXIE AND LAKE POWELL REGIONS BY SATURDAY NIGHT. ALTHOUGH SNOW AMOUNTS IN GENERAL MAY NOT BE SIGNIFICANT... EVEN MINOR AMOUNTS COULD CAUSE HAVOC WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MOST TREES HAVE NOT LOST THEIR FOLIAGE. IN ADDITION... MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WILL BE ABOUT 25 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL."

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, fall has paid us a visit!! Last night the low was 49º! Woohoo! Today it's cool with a high only in the low 80s. I'll take it!! It's a great day to be outside working in the garden!

Here's a pic from one of our trips to visit my DH's family in Tennessee.

Thumbnail by stephanietx
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Stephanie, that photo is gorgeous! Tennessee is a beautiful state. :-)

Brrrrrrrrrr, Celia!!

I have the windows open again. Yayy!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 74 °F 23 °C
Dew Point 46 °F 8 °C
Humidity 36%
Pressure 30.12 in 1019.9 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir N 360°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 °F 24 °C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 54.0°F / 12.2°C

Rann – Great picture! I’m so glad you vacationed before this crisis hit.
Celia – Time to get the winter gear out….
Stephanie – Send that cool stuff this way! Beautiful picture.
Marylyn – I want open windows….

79.3 °F / 26.3 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 9.7 mph / 15.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft / 457 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

no rain yet...

Red Shouldered Hawk in the neighbors yard

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Sunny and cool. A bit breezy it looks like.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Seeds I think Autumn is a delicious time anywhere on the east coast. And gives those cool days for final bedding down for the cold ahead.
pajonica,
I noticed you are in the same Zone in Japan as I have here. How bad was the earthquake?
When do you have a killing frost?
Rann, the Eiffle Tower, how great you all got to see that.
So educational and fun.
Celia you don't have to comment as long as you have good pictures. LOL
Stephanie Tennessee mts are so pretty.
I'm lonesome for the Rockies. The mountains of my youth.
Sharon as you warn Kiska I squeal with glee. Frog Green a new favorite fashion color.
Cool, may rain this afternoon.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

10am~ 30°F Hope to get up to 40 by day's end.
Freezing pellets lightly falling. Not quite rain, hail or snow; just pellets.
Welcome, pajonica~hope the quakes aren't serious~
MySharona~see, I just knew it would jump:)) you're so brave.
Sidney~Frog green as fashion~has a "interesting" ring to it:)
hello to all I've missed~enjoyed the read/photos.
rann~if nothing else, keep thinking positive thoughts at this time. Very scary time, though.

Thumbnail by kiska

The earthquake in Japan was a magnitude 5, centered 20 miles ESE of Tokyo. I would imagine that DH felt that one. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008xxaz.php

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia; I hope the winter storm doesn't affect your friend's visit with you as far as her arriving and leaving is concerned.
Stephanie: gorgeous pic of the TN hills. Was it taken recently? Our trees haven't started turning yet.
Sharon: does that hawk ever try to get your cats or are they too big for it? How about the squirrels?
Sidney: gorgeous flower--what is it?
Kiska: is that a frozen bunny? LOL
Kelli: Has your DH been in touch with you about whether or not he felt that 'quake?

Our overcast skies have turned into beautiful blue skies with a few fluffy white clouds floating around. Current temp is 73º. Gorgeous autumn weather! Much like what Marylyn and Pepper are both experiencing.

Sidney, I'll re-post a pic of a portion of the Colorado Rockies--just to keep you from getting homesick. on second thought--it might make you homesick! Sorry!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 3:00 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

DH calls me around 3:30PM my time, which is 7:30AM his time. (The time change is pretty strange. He's almost a whole day ahead of me here at the edge of the earth.) The earthquake happened at 3:07PM Wed. his time, which is 11:07PM Tues., my time. He would have been in a meeting then. By the time I would have gotten up and been downstairs this morning, he would have been asleep.

Hey, guess what? It's hot again.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 08, 2008
96 °F / 36 °C
Clear
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

spotted knapweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

sulfur buckwheat

Thumbnail by Kelli

Madison River

Thumbnail by Kelli

And the last of the Yellowstone pictures - the Madison River again.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Kelli I am impressed at all the plants you can put a name to.

The donkey ears is another plant I have never seen nor heard of. Very interesting the way the new ones grow on the leaves.

Un til there was a hint could not find the frog. They are neat.

Beautiful day here today, have the window open & enjoying the air while working on paperwork, which is not interesting. Attempting to keep ahead on my Mothers affairs, but have decided that is just a dream.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain, glad to have it, though I hate to drive through it. If water ever becomes as much of a commodity as fuel has, we will all be in a hard boat to row.

If you look at the prices of bottled water, some of the distributors have already decided that the two items need to be priced in the same category.

Heck, spell check only caught one miss-spelled word in this post, I may need to buy a lottery ticket!

Sidney – Glad you like the frog. I have another picture, but will give Kiska a break! Pretty Azalea!
Kiska – LOL! Cute bunny!
Kelli – Did your DH feel the earthquake? Great pictures!
Marsue – The cats and Prissy are too big. I run the hawk off every time I see him/her, not too often. They usually hang out a couple of blocks South of us. Beautiful picture!
Dyson – We bought a filter system and hooked it up under the sink in the kitchen for our drinking water. It’s a lot cheaper in the long run. Did you get a lottery ticket?

72.9 °F / 22.7 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 °F / 22 °C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1600 ft / 487 m
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft / 1280 m
Overcast 6000 ft / 1828 m

Now
Through 745 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving north to northeast at 10 to 15 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Juniper Springs...Salt Springs...Palatka...Penney Farms and Green Cove Springs. Expect brief gusty winds...heavy downpours of rain and dangerous cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Rest of Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening. Chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 70. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%

Yay - Rain!!! So far we are just shy of 1".

Streeeeeetch - look at that belly!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

31° 4:30pm and gray out. No way it's going to get up to 40 today.
kelli~hope all's well w/DH over there. The last pic is gorgeous. It's been great to see the photos and the narrations, too.
marsue~frozen bunnies need to be brought in for the winter. They tend to break if left outside, guess how I know:)
MySharona~now, that's the most relaxing stretch ever. Very cute.

DH said that he just barely felt the earthquake. He doesn't know if anyone else felt it. No one said anything.

The Yellowstone pictures are done but I've still got a few from the drive home. This is a katydid, or as DH calls it, a big green leaf creature. This was on the car in Provo, UT.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.