Haves, wants and oh please, please help me get a....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Jiiilllll....should you have any "spares" - I'd be happy to put it out back with the "family" of Honeysuckles...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cross your fingers that the ones that look OK so far keep getting some roots! Gita got a cutting to root in a glass of water last year, Chantell, so one way or another we'll get you one.

Hey, totally new topic: Hummingbird feeders! I was directed to what looks like a great deal on HummZingers (I've been wanting to get a couple for me and a couple as gifts, probably all 8 oz but I might get one 16 oz one). They're supposed to be very easy to fill and clean, they have perches, and they have built-in ant moats (all good). This place is pretty much just charging actual USPS postage according to their shipping estimate calculator, and it looks like shipping will come to maybe a couple bucks per feeder. See http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.com/bird-feeders-hummingbird-c-1_2.html

I will wait until Monday morning to place my order, so if you want one (which I'll bring to the swap and you can pay me then), let me know by midnight Sunday -- or sooner! :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

The American Honeysuckle I got from you at hart's (I think) is now all over my trellis and has a zillion buds. They should be open any day now. Will take a picture....

Unfortunatly--the Clematis I had there is now GONE!
Maybe it was just it's "time"?
Maybe I disturbed the roots when I planted the Honeysuckle?
Maybe--I need to buy a new one--but most places I have looked--they are about $6 for small ones and about $13 for bigger ones. If I really wanted it--I would buy it. I have a feeling this Honeysuckle will grow to cover the whole trellis--seems it is well on it's way.
How broadly does it spread?

Been working all day--inside and out. I am major grubby and will now go take a shower.....

Gita

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I have 2 of the hummzingers my DH got me for xmas 2 years ago. I LOVE them. They are the easiest to clean ever! I don't use any others any more, no matter how "pretty" or nice. None of them are as nice to fill/clean as these. I have looked for them to get more but have never found any and of course he never could remember where he got them ;) Going check out the link :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It'll grow to cover the whole trellis. I think there is a trellis under mine... somewhere... LOL. It's growing up the railing and behind Jim's grill now, too.

I'm sorry you lost your clematis. I lost one of my 3 medium-sized ones along the side of the house -- the middle one, of course! Now I'm debating whether to order another "Brother Stefan" variety to replace it (it was 'General Sikorski') or just plant my pot of C. lingusticafolia (seed grown) that's coming along nicely. I may hold off just a bit and see what I can find... unless somebody is placing an order with Brushwood, in which case I want "in" on it please! :-)

Ooh, just looked at the Brushwood site and changed my mind... If I do order, I'm getting 'Laura' rather that 'General S'. 8 to 10 inch flowers. Wowza! http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/clematis-laura-p-80.html

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just to note... I've never ordered from this site before... not sure why they're offering them at such a good price. But they have a *lot* of bird feeders, so maybe they just make their profit in volume sales and repeat business.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Jill - your 'Laura' has been ordered :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Becky!! I love you! I hope you were planning to place an order anyway... I know you've mentioned Brushwood more than once. I always feel like I have to order 3 (or 6) plants from them so they'll give me that discount (with 6, it's like getting free shipping, and I'm a sucker for free shipping).

So cool, to have an sad empty spot in the middle of a garden bed and then get *exactly* the right plant to put there! Thank you, Becky!

(For anybody who doesn't know, Brushwood sends the biggest, healthiest plants I've ever seen... yes, they are worth the premium price... they are as good or better than the similarly priced Clematis in the big pots I've seen at Bhenke's. And their selection will boggle your brain.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got some Wild Cherry saplings that I "missed" while weeding... some are probably 2 years old at least, LOL. Before they get pulled up and tossed, does anybody want them? They are nice trees, I think, but they do not belong in the middle of a perennial bed. ;-) I'm sure there are box elders and sumacs, too, but the cherries are probably the choice ones.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Critter, if the cherries are two years old, they'll probably not survive being dug. It's impossible to get all of the taproot when they're more than just the tiniest seedlings.

That's a gorgeous clematis.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, OK. I've moved maples that size & bigger with no problems... Didn't know cherries were more of a challenge. If anybody's interested in them, I'll try digging and potting a couple, and we can see how they do.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Maples are shallow rooted. Trees that have a long taproot like cherries, redbuds, walnuts are very difficult to move because if you don't get every single scrap of the taproot, they'll die.

It won't hurt to try, just don't be disappointed if they don't make it. The box elders, which are a maple, will be fine and I don't think it's possible to kill sumacs. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You aren't kidding about those darn sumacs!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Sumacs are like sassafras, they form clumps because they spread by underground roots.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yeah, and even brush killer doesn't take them out... full strength on the cut stem/trunk, lather, rinse, repeat.

Sorry, back to plants...

Anybody for catnip? I'm overrun, and Blake has gone off it, and I'm not sure young Eliot is into it. I can dig & bring you a mature clump... otherwise, I'm tossing them, so don't be shy.

Ditto with garlic chives.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

sumacs are awful.....was saddened to see that we have some....ugh

would love to have sassafras....always loved the mittens and gloves

i'm up for trying some catnip....if i could persuade some of the cats to go to certain places vs others that would be a mini-miracle :-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I can try and find you a sassafras baby, Lynda. I also have all the catnip plants you could want. My cats love having their own catnip plants. They usually don't pay any attention to it until someone brushes against it and releases the oils. Then they go bananas.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

cool.....i love the scent of sassafras.....hard to imagine right now i'm so stuffed up :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Jill - you IS welcome! And, yes I was placing an order - kept hmmhawing about it - then I saw your post - a mighty fine excuse for placing the order!!!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, I've got some monster catnips that have to go (I threw a couple out into the field today)... I'll be glad to pot a couple up to bring along for Larlienda & anybody else. Unless yours are in a bad location, leave them for your kitties!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh, My--Oh, MY......

Saw my new neighbor-to-be today and he told me he was pretty much getting rid of all the shrubs and plantings around the house....because they all cause "water problems"......
Obviously--he is NOT a gardener. He will definitely get rid of all the Nandinas growing around the kitchen porch side and also on the other side of the house.

There is a beautiful, BIG, now blooming Cherry Laurel between our properties. He said it has to go, because it has so many bees on it. I told him they won't hurt anyone--they just like the flowers.....it is temporary.....

There are large Hollies--the prettiest one being a Burford Holly and another variegated one. Gonna go!!!!!
There is a Snowball Viburnum in the back--he said he is putting up a shed there.....He wants to keep the Roses--which are sparse and unkempt and the one Clematis.

Then there is the other big clump of the naked ladies-----He said I could dig up anything I wanted-----I am so sad!!!! I told him he should at least advertise in the Penny Saver-----"Mature shrubs and Hollies--FREE--YOU DIG! He said he might.

There is a long, unkempt bed in the back of the yard. he said he will did it all up and maybe plant a vegetable garden. I said--veggies won't grow there, as it is all shade.

I have horrible visions of a bare yard with a house on it. half of it converted to a parking lot.....I know the garden was never kept up, but there are some worthy plantings in it. =I will surely keep an eye on those beautiful, two-tone blue Irises.....

Not much i can do! I can dig up a few things--but I am having a hard time getting all my garden chores done as it is in my own yard. My Bod is not all that vigorous any more....

I think i will dig up some Nandinas for a girl at work. She wanted some for her house in VA. I will dig up the clump of Naked ladies--the one I was NOT going to touch--

There are tons of Vinca Minor all over the bed against the screened porch in the back--and remnants of Strawberry plants my old neighbor had. I remember they were the Ever-bearing ones. Now they are all choked out by all the VInca, the catnip, the weeds and such-- and everything else.

I feel totally at a loss....................How can anyone do that??????? Foundation plantings add a lot to the appeal of a house, but then again--the house is now HIS!
I have to say everything looks "junky", but if he wanted to--he could clean it up and keep what is worthwhile. Then again--seems NOTHING is worthwhile to him......

Crying in my heart........Gita

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yikes ... is he going to be a colored mulch guy? Pull everything out, then throw down that horrid burnt orange junk.

I'm so sorry, Gita. I'd be very upset if a new neighbor came in and ripped everything out!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You may not be able to stop him from digging up all his plants but you can stop him from paving half his yard for a parking lot. There are zoning ordinances against such things in most localities.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita ditto to what the others said...when you appreciate the beauty of plants, as we all do, being witness to what you're describing is devastating

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrightie, it just occurred to me - the worst would be forsythia balls and that hideous colored mulch. LOL What do they make that stuff out of that it's such a weird color anyway? It looks like ground up brick rubble.

"Aha! Here's how we can get rid of the demolition rubble AND make money on it!"

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I haven't the foggiest. I just wish that the Box Stores would stop selling it!

There's a guy in my neighborhood who bought a house and did what Gita is describing. He ripped out a massive old Oak and took out an entire perennial & mixed shrub border that wrapped around two sides of the house (corner lot). He then filled it all in with the orange carp. It makes my stomach hurt and I feel for his neighbors who have to stare at it now. At least I can move passed quickly, whilst turning to look away ...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been thinning out my Italian parsley and have several extra plants. Can I interest anyone in some?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Me please - just one or two - I am late in sowing my herbs this spring - I have a small greenhouse rack I am placing in my backyard next week - for herbs and cuttings - IF all goes to plan I will have a couple of days with no work, so I can take the extra free time to play in garden :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Groovy. Done.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wrightie,

I grew Italian parsley last year. Had about 4 pots-full of it. gave away a lot to my Spanish neighbors....Of course--they all survived the Winter and will provide me with fresh parsley until they go to seed. Then--I understand--they are no longer 'good".....Any comments on this?

SO! I would like to have about 3 plantlets of your Italian parsley---PLEASE! That will be my "new crop" for this season.....

hart---

Re the colored mulch---I have heard that it is mainly made from ground up wood pallets and then dyed with the colors. Read that as having NO organic value! I can tell you that the best sellers at my HD are Pine Bark mulch and Hardwood mulch....
One benefit to the Cedar mulch is that it deters termites.....

The Rubber mulch is made from old tires and is used in playgrounds. It is soft and, if a kid falls on it, will not get hurt. It is also colored a nice brown....And--it is expensive!
Maybe $10+ a 2cf bag.

I will dig up this and that from the house next door--but i really do not have the energy or the time to "go at it" as much as I would like to.

Does anyone know how Cherry laurel is propagated? Since it is a shrub--I imagine from soft-wood cuttings. I wonder how hard/easy it is????? I could take cuttings and see what happens......It is a beautiful shrub!

Edited to say--the following are some pictures of my neighbors established plantings that will all "GO"!

Here is a picture I just took of it....

This message was edited May 4, 2008 6:39 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are the blooms close-up! Such "candy" for the small bees!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the beautiful, Buford Holly covered in new growth. Otherwise, it is dark green abd very shiny.
This will "GO" as well!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here'ds another full-sized Holly in the back by their screened-in porch. Don't know the name....
Of course, you must realize, that none of these have been pruned now for about 3 years....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is another Holly--this one is all variegated.....I think Betsy liked Hollies......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is a green Acuba in the back side of the house--also GONE!--I am sure!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Gita, I'll save those plants for you. I believe that most culinary herbs lose their original flavor once they go to seed(?), or so that is the rule of thumb that I go by.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

On to more cheerful scenes---This is the front of my House. Took this mostly to show you where my beautiful "Bob Hope" Camellia resides......WELL protected! Camellias DO NOT like any kind of blustery Winter winds and such. They also don't like full sun. This area it is growing in never receives any sun at all--just bright, Northern-exposure light. Lots of water from my leaking gutters above.....

Gonna do a major cutting back on it in a couple of months......(as soon as it is all done blooming).
It is slowly losing it's shape......branches are a bit gangly.
Gonna post this "event" on the Trees and Shrubs Forum. I think many people would love to have cuttings of this particular one. Before any of you (here) get all excited--it is VERY difficult to root Camellia cuttings.....Need special conditions and such......A lot of dedication!
NOPE! It does NOT root in a glass of water!
NOPE! You cannot just stick it in a pot of soil!
NOPE!!!!!

My "GUY" that I have sent a slew of cuttings to and that knows what he is doing (they ALL rooted!) is Mike (mqiq77) in GA. He rooted a load of them last year and it made him "The happiest man on Earth"! I think if you wanted more information--D-mail him!

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Got no blooming perennials, but I got these :)

Thumbnail by doccat5
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't heard from anybody regarding the Hummingbird feeders. I plan to place the order IN THE MORNING, probably by 9 am unless I get distracted. Prices are here http://www.nottawawildbirdsupply.com/bird-feeders-hummingbird-c-1_2.html, and figure on adding less than $2 per feeder for shipping (I'm ordering 6 mini Hummzingers, and shipping on those comes to something like $1.35 each).

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

some wants.......figured i'd better hurry up & think about it since every time i turn around another week has gone by :-)

becky.....would love some silver lace vine and any kind of sedum since trying to get rid of grass and weeds
....forget if it is you or critter with the black-eyed susans

wrightie....forget me nots, any kind of sedums & lily of the valley (so cool that it can live with black walnut trees!), any other creepers for groundcover
......i can take some brug cuttings for you....not sure which ones, but i believe most of mine are at least tagged with colors if not names

chantel....japanese blood root maple, nicotinia 'fragrant cloud'
.....i don't know that i have anything you might like....will continue scouting

jody....any hostas (named or not) especially some with white to add 'pop' in shady areas, possibly some named daylilies if you have the names, campanulas, pineapple lily, hens & chicks, mixed yarrow, meadow rue........purple millet....coreopis 'zagreb'...dwarf iris 'smell the roses' listing it out it looks like a little bit of everything :-)

gita....daturas (love them!), baby tiger lilies, nicotinia 'alata', invasive mini sedum (it needs to combat nuclear grass!), if no one else wants bushel o'daylilies i can use it in some areas that need a large mass planting of some things (again, combating nuclear grass), pregnant onion, shasta daisies (my 4yr dd already is saying 'he loves me, he loves me not'!)

miata.....the mini wooded area garden kit or is instant woodland garden kit ?!?! :-) {mayapples, lady slippers, jack in the pulpit, ferns}

dragonfly.....willow oak seedlings, purple shamrock, sweet woodruff, brug & datura seedlings
.......i will have some mimosa saplings & some lilac saplings

wyldeflower.....small bleeding hearts, money plant, polygonum virginianum, arisaema dracontium/green dragon, stinking hellebore babies,

happy....cannas, sedums, wood poppy....

i'm getting tired.....have had to look up a lot :-)

critter i do have you down for ming toy dl

will do more updates later.....now more allergy/sinus medicine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.