Haves, wants and oh please, please help me get a....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dragonfly, I just realized I never responded to your post about the oregano... I potted up several of the 'Hot & Spicy' last week, and yes I'd still love to try yours... every oregano seems to be just a little different, and we love them all! The really bold, intense flavor of the greek oreganos is just wonderful. Our spaghetti sauce wouldn't be the same without it!

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

larlienda - and others who might want some silverlace vine - I have tons rooting right now - should be well established by swap :) I also looked at my BES/daisies - will have plenty to dig up - this weather has caused a mad growing spurt :-)

Siberian Iris beginning to open up - first one :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

"the mini wooded area garden kit or is instant woodland garden kit ?!?! :-)"

LOL, just like a chia pet, just add water!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jill - I'd like some of your garlic chives if I don't get to see you Thursday or before the swap.
Jody - If you have some more Petasites not spoken for can I have some?
Hart - If you have some more Japanese Mondo Grass not spoken for can I have some?
Wrightie - If you have some more Italian Parsley not spoken for can I have some?

Wants From:
wyldeflower - arisaema dracontium/green dragon / greater celandine (wood poppy) double 'Flore Pleno'
Happy - Wood Poppy / Plectranthrus Mona Lavender (if you find it)
Chantel - EE

Haves
Garden Sorrel - lot's
Lovage - (1)
Coleus Rainbow Blend - lot's
Nasturtiums - Will list varieties later
Fenugreek - (1)
Blackeyed Susan Vine - (1 or 2)
Thai Bird Pepper - (2 - 3)
Jalapeno Pepper - (1-2)
Virginia Spiderwort Concord Grape - Will dig some if someone wants
Japanese Toad Lily (Hatatogisa Tricyrtis) - Will dig some if someone wants
Bears Foot Hellebore (Stinking Hellebore) babies - lot's
Vick's Mentholatum Plant (Plectranthus cylindraceus) - (1)
Mayapples - a few left

Promised:
Hart - Jack-in-the-pulpits / Ladyslippers
Larlienda - Mayapple / Jack-in-the-pulpits / Ladyslippers / Ferns
Happy - Mayapple / Jack-in-the-pulpits / Ladyslippers
Wyldeflwr - Jack-in-the-pulpits / Ladyslippers

If I've promised anyone else something and they don't see it here, please let me know.

Note, the Ladyslippers are what my mom calls them, hope they are what you're expecting. Mine in the garden are blooming so I'll take pics tonight and hopefully someone can give me a positive ID.

Wants general:
Stevia
Red Honeysuckle
Ferns
Day lilies
Columbines
Nothing Pink!

This message was edited May 7, 2008 7:24 AM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Miatablu, is your vick's mentholatum solid green? That's the plectranthus I've been looking for. I don't need a whole plant if you only have one, a cutting would be great. It roots very easily.

Well, I've been looking at plant files and I think the one I've been looking for is Cuban oregano, Plectranthus amboinicus. They look very similar.

This message was edited May 6, 2008 11:29 AM

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hart, you're right, this one is Plectranthus cylindraceus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2669/. I think some call it cuban oregano, but when I bought the original plant it was labeled Vick's Mentholatum Plant, so I don't think it's the one you are looking for.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bobbie,

Our HD has good sized, perennial Japanese Ferns for sake at this time. I think they are in an 8" pot. Didn't check the price.....

Gita

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gita, I'll check them out when I get by there. They have you working again?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Bobbie--I have been working decent hours now for about a month. Like--18-20 hours a week. Besides--my new manager wanted me in garden on Sunday mornings to help customers with questions and also to do come of the free Clinics. l LOVE being back out there--but--do I ever pay for running around for 4 hours!!!!! My knees are so stiff! Takes me a few days to recover....

Besides, I come home and then try to get my own gardening done.....This time of year sure is a LOVE/HATE relationship!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Miata, I should be able to get a cutting from my coral honeysuckle going for you at some point this summer... mine is small, but it looks like it's about to really take off. When you come over, you can take a look and see what columbines you might be interested in... got a bunch of smaller ones blooming for the first time (we can mark favorites for seed saving), and I've got a lot of little seedlings again, plus there are a couple of larger plants that are probably big enough (finally) to divide. You can have all the garlic chives you want. ::-)

Hart, I took half a dozen tip cuttings from my small trailing green plectranthus that we thought was the one you might be looking for. They're in a rooting vase (no roots yet, but should have them potted in a cell pack before the swap).

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Is this color good :-) I am beginning to think my idea of having little "digging thingies" available at the swap is soooo the way to go :)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks, Critter!

Bec, that's really pretty.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Becky, that's a lovely one! Huge blooms -- looks like 'Tower Blue' to me!

I'll save seeds from my columbines this year, but I might just save them as a mix because they're likely to be cross-pollinated anyway.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Ladies,

I'm so sorry to do this but I have to cancel. With the tornado hitting my daughter's house and me helping them out financially and driving back and forth 3 hours each way for 3 days this past week, my budget for this month is just shredded. There's no way I can afford the gas for the 4 hour each way drive. I hope I can make it next year - keeping my fingers crossed!

Terri

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Would somebody be amenable to letting me send them a box of plants for the swap? I'm pretty sure I can fit all of them, except maybe some of the willow oak seedlings, in a large priority mail box, if they are not in pots. If I can time it so they arrive maybe the Thursday or Friday before, they should still be ok by Saturday. PLMK?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Terri - while I understand why and it is more than a valid reason - I sure don't have to like it! :-) And of course you can send plants to my addy - just d-mail me when you are ready to mail :) Sending best wishes to you and your family :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri, I'm so sorry about your daughter's home!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Bec, I'll send them out on 5/21, they will probably be there the next day. I'll figure out some sort of labeling for each person and stuff as many as I can in the new big flat rate

Wrightie, thank you. I'm just happy that no one was injured, either during the tornado or in the cleanup afterward. I just knew Murphy's Law would be stepping in at some point, when I first started making plans to come, LOL!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Terri, that's horrible about your poor daughter's home. I'm so glad they're all okay. I'll bet they're pretty shaken up, though.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Prayers headin' your' and your DD's way....I'm so sorry!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Terri, if you do put them in pots, the silver marker pens made by Sharpie do a good job of writing on black pots. You can get them at Walmart.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Becky
My mom would like to come along with me... that ok with you?

That means that I will most likely have to drive up from the VA house... will take a good 4 hours. I think I read that it wasn't going to start too early though right?

I've got most everybodies request dug and potted :) Just a few more to go...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Jody - the more the merrier - I should have more than enough space and seating - I have two pop-up tents and 20 chairs (I think) :-)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

:) Thanks!

I've got a lawn chair or 2 I'll throw in my "truck" too just in case.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Was gonna say that...wouldn't hurt all you baseball/soccer moms....to bring the chairs that perpetually remain in your mini-vans (speaking from exp. here....LOL_)

If anyone ends up with "extra" lilac babies please let me know...I know my sis had mentioned in the last month or so that she'd love one - she's got this huge EMPTY yard...make me crazy...I can't even tell you!!!

This message was edited May 10, 2008 12:03 AM

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

lilac babies are avail & waiting to go :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks like the babies I took from 'Belle de Nancy' lilac are doing well, too. How many people were interested in lilacs? Dragonfly, I've got one or two shorter cuttings that we could try shipping to you... but might be better to ship them bare root in fall or early next spring when they'd be dormant and better established.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Jill - whoever's shown interest first....then if any remaining....please keep me in mind...not a NEED mind you...hugs

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I've got 5 or 6 of them... should be enough to go around, but didn't want to try to fit them into the car if I only had takers for 2 or 3. :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't blame you....I would take 1 or even 2 but again give first dibs to anyone else interested.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I always start out thinking I don't have all that much to bring along... but then by the time a divide a clump of this and dig a few of that, I end up with a lot of pots! I think the back of the car won't have a lot of extra room by the time Bobbie & I are done putting plants in it... LOL.

Sally, there are a couple of nice sized Heliopsis plants from last year's volunteers out there, so I can pot up a good one for you. If yours hasn't shown up by now, it probably won't.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hey critterologist- my heliopsis DID show up and start growing like mad! so no need, for me.
hart my heirloom iris you gave me are blooming- lovely, smaller blooms than some but plenty, and that allows the stems to stay up nice and erect. the white lilac baby is growing well.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chantell, I have double white lilac babies I can bring. I need to get busy and up date my haves list but I haven't had time.

Those iris are so reliable and indestructible. Borers never bother them either. I meant to get some photos of the white lilac blooming this year and didn't get it done. The clusters are just crammed with blooms.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy with any Lilac spares that anyone has. Diane my little white baby from you last year didn't make it *sniffle, sniffle*....was fine even into fall....but I'm not seeing it now....sweet little baby

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have plenty. I'll bring you some too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I potted up the little lilac babies that Hart gave me and overwintered the pots in a sheltered spot against the house... they look great this spring! (One is for me, one is for my brother, or I'd offer up the spare.) I potted up the barely-rooted divisions I took from mine the same way, with a generous pinch of moisture crystals in the pot. Hopefully they'll all "take!"

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Well then I'll follow your lead this time Jill...instead of putting them IN the ground...maybe nestle them up against the brick front with lots of mulch around the pot...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey--everyone.....

Have you ever seen a "Chocolate Cosmos"? I just bought 3 at Myer Seed Co. Big 4" pot--$3.75 each. On the tag--the blooms really do look like chocolate! They only had like--one tray....
Will plant it out as soon as the weather settles down. Same p;ace as before. Might plant a Moon Vine in with it--I have one extra plant of it.

ALSO--My HD had slews of Passifloras (mostly Lady Margaret and Clear Sky) today--in 1 gal pots. $22.99 each. I guess for Mother's Day.....I treated myself to one for myself for Mother's Day. I used to have one--and it grew so big--climbed all over my shed. It was beautiful! Had to have another.....

Also--HUGE Foxgloves in 1 gal pots.....all kinds of goodies!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OOh. Must make some excuse to stop by HD tomorrow... :-)

I've got a bunch of (winter sown) columbines blooming for the first time out back, including several that are such a deep purple they're nearly black. Also have pink, lavender, magenta, blue/white bicolors, one that looks like 'William Guiness', white fan columbine, clematis flowered ('Nora Barlowe' is stunning), and more... it's really cool! I'm hoping to get this year's WS columbines potted up before the swap so I can share a few extras... I'll have some neat mixed seed to share, too! (I'm not sure there's a lot of percentage in trying to save seed separately from these, as they're close enough together for the bees to have crossed them anyway.)

Stopped by a church plant sale in Mt. Airy today and bought a couple 'Snow on the Mountain' euphorbia plus a *pink* flowered strawberry plant. Fun!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jill, I've been trying to grow William Guiness columbine, but started too late. Been wanting one forever. If ya got one I'd love one please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.