Haves, wants and oh please, please help me get a....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

For me, the font on the messages has changed. Plus the font used when I enter a new message has also changed.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

The change is not because of something on my computer. I logged on with my laptop and am seeing the same problem. Maybe somebody in the tech department changed some of the pages by mistake? It's very small print, hard for me to see.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

ok, now the font looks okay but the header has shrunk to half the page, the links for search, faqs, etc are a darker blue than the banner line and my typing here is smaller, argh! What the heck is going on?

This message was edited Apr 24, 2008 1:07 PM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey--Sounds like you need to post some questions on the Computer Forum. The smart ones there will have you out of the misery in no time flat!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

FYI, I sent Dave a Dmail regarding the issue.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey!!!

Those of you wanting to grow the Castor Bean Plant better read today's article on Plants and Poisons in the Garden.....It will scare you!!!!!

Gita

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Hubby is going to bring me!
I HAVE: regular and variegated ivy

liriope -Critter

periwinkle, regular and some variegated

greater celandine (wood poppy) single

and the double 'Flore Pleno'- Miatablu

common violets, purple and 'Confederate'

a few small, Poncirius trifoliata aka Flying Dragon,Japanese Bitter Orange

ferns- some smaller spreading (lost tags) and Ostrich ferns if I can figure out how to transport them without breaking the fronds - Critter

small bleeding hearts - Critter -Miatablu (not pink), Larlienda, Shirley1

Rose of Sharon (hibiscus syriacus)

Wild day lilies-Miatablu

Polygonum virginianum (Painter's palette) Larlienda

Lysimachia nummularia (Creeping Jenny) Happy, Critter

Feverfew

Arisaema dracontium (Green Dragon)- Miatablu, Larilinda

Chasmanthium latifolium (River Oats, Northern Sea Oats)

Lunaria (money plant)- Critter,Larlienda

Polygonatum odoratum 'variegatum' (variegated Solomon's seal)

Bear's Foot or Stinking Hellebore babies- Larlienda, Happy

Caltha palustris (Marsh Marigold)

Packera aurea (Golden Ragwort)

Sweet Annie - Chantell, Happy

Impatiens capensis "Jewel Weed" - Happy

I would like from from dragonfly53 a willow oak seedling, from hart the double white lilac and the Paprika, from Gita one of those tiger lily babies and from miatablu if possible, Jack-ini-the-pulpit and Lady Slipper

I probably have more things I could bring. It took me while to list things I did know I had without going around the yard and looking at everything. It's too wet today.
How does this work? Does one need to request specifics or can you pick up plants that others have brought when you get there without previously asking for them? I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! I have been watching with a sort of envy as everyone listed what they could share and wishing so much I could participate. I have so much growing and hate to compost it and love to share with others of like mind.

This message was edited May 17, 2008 6:54 PM

This message was edited May 19, 2008 4:52 AM

This message was edited May 19, 2008 5:49 AM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Fantastic - the more the merrier - from previous experience I KNOW you will go home with stuff not asked for or even listed!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

wyldeflwr - folks in the past have set up some trades ahead of time - then we just mark them so we don't give promised goodies away...LOL. Above and beyond that - simply bring what you have extras of. Its a very laid back affair...no one's counting. ^_^

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Yall. I remembered another shrub I can share. It's called Sorbaria sorbifolia or Ural Falsespirea.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

wyldreflower----

I have SO many of these Tiger Lily "babies"--you will go home with a bunch! I am just excited that all of the bulbils sprouted!!!!

These are ONLY one year old seedlings (bulblings???)! You DO know that it will be several years before you see any resemblance to the picture I posted??? I believe P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E is the biggest virtue of a gardener!!!! All good things come to those that wait......

It has been pouring rain all day! I am exercising that patience as I sit here "messing around" on DG. We need it--but WHY does it always have to rain on my days off?????
If it were a nice, sunny day--I would have accomplished a lot more outside!!!! And, OH, Lordy! There sure is a lot to accomplish this time of year!!!

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

wyldreflower: I'm so glad you are coming. I'm getting the blue hellebores for you, don't forget! As to your question about trading, in my experience everyone is very fluid -- it isn't at all a quid pro quo. But so that no one needs to dig out a lot of plants only to find no one wants what you dug up, it helps if people can let you know what they know they will want in advance -- it just makes it helpful to get a better idea what to bring.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, well put!

I'm getting awfully excited about this swap, too! I know I need to sit down and go through this thread, plus make my own "haves" list.

You know I'll have KY Colonel Spearmint and Chocolate Peppermint... I'll probably just bring a bag of each again, and whoever wants some can help themselves. It's good stuff! :-)

I just sowed some more basil... transplants might be little, but I'll have a few extras to bring. I'll probably have a few spare tomato plants, too. I know for sure there are load of Obedient Plant seedlings popping up, and there's an awful lot of something germinating around the butterfly garden... maybe milkweed (asclepias incarnata)? Hopefully I'll have a better idea when they get a few more leaves...

OK, real list will follow this week... :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Critter, do you happen to have photos of your two mints? I know that I am growing those varieties, too, but I'm having a hard time IDing my various mints (lost tags -- GRRR).

Unfortunately, the taste test just doesn't work for me - I've never found chocolate mint to taste peppermint patty-ie. Does it have a dark edge on the leaves?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The KY Colonel is a brighter/lighter green, and the Chocolate Peppermint does have dark stems and a dark edge on the newly emerging leaves. I'll get some photos. There's definitely a different taste to the Spearmint (the KY Colonel) vs. the other peppermint varieties... think spearmint vs. peppermint toothpaste, LOL.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrightie, look at my list. I have a link for both of them. I think her Kentucky Col is the same as my apple mint.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Gita - I feel your pain!!! I'd had plans the better part of Sat. when it was nice. Yesterday was el yucko out there...but I sucked it up and went out planted the cannas (most of them) - with the fluctuating temps I'm hesitant to put too much out IN the ground just yet.
Wrightie - my chocolate mint from Jill, that's coming up, definitely has either some brown edging or veining - can't visualize it right now.
Ok ALL - I'm adding to my "have list" some limited 'Fragrant Cloud' plants that are the result of my plants self seeding from last year. I'm almost certain that what all these toddlers are. So let me know ahead of time and I'll pull their little selves up and bring them with me.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nope, Kentucky Colonel Spearmint isn't the same as Apple Mint... Apple Mint should have red stems and a different flavor. :-)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Cool. I thought that the dark ringed one is choc., so that's a relief!

LOL - spearmint vs peppermint, eh? Well, I was sampling about four or five mints all in a row (dumb!) without 'cleaning my pallet' so they all started to blend together.

Chantell, my hands are waving for your Smelly Cloudz!!!

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

What's Fragrant Cloud? Do I need it? I never heard of it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Me neither.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

nicotiana - I do believe that she [ah hem ... obsessed] over it last season. LOL I've wanted to grow it ever since!

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I would really like to have a few of your baby Fragrant Clouds if there is enough.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wyldeflwr, I've added you to my list for Jack-in-the-pulpit and lady slippers. I would absolutely love some Greater celandine (wood poppy) the double 'Flore Pleno' (Happy's bringing me some of the other) and Arisaema dracontium (Green Dragon). I'm a huge arisaema fan.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes - I have plenty of the Celadine Poppy -- single flowers -- if anyone wants any.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did anyone manage to overwinter any of the Plectranthus Mona Lavender that I brought to the swaps last year. After all the cuttings and plants I had started, I lost every one :(

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have one! I'll root it for you. I had a few misfires on my labels, and I know I lost one with purple flowers that I loved, but I think the Mona Lavendar was ok.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy, your're a star!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Actually, I just went hunting for it but can't find it -- I moved everything outside last weekend so there is still chaos to contend with. But I think I may have taken it to my office. I am quite sure I have it though, so no worries (yet).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My big "oh please help me get a... " is Persicaria Red Dragon. My huge plant barely came up last year, just one or two little sprigs, and so far this year there's no sign of it. I loved it, and it was just perfect for its spot! (I'm not sure what happened, as it was thriving for several seasons... possible that a family of voles munched on it or something.) If anybody has one, cuttings root easily in water.

Edited because I'd asked for people to get me one if they saw it for sale... but now, with those co-op plants, I have some other things to add to that semi-shady corner, so I think I'm good with or without it... I would still love cuttings, though! :-)

Now that it's stopped raining, I'll go out and take a look at what's coming up out there. I'll add to my "haves" list by editing this post as we go along.

HAVES:

Kentucky Colonel Spearmint
Chocolate Peppermint
Catnip (Larlienda)
Black-Eyed Susan (Happy, Larlienda)
Obedient Plant (Physostegia virg.), light purple -- potted some up, have loads (Happy)
Lamium, 'Orchid Frost' I think (will check)
will probably have a few spare tomato and basil seedlings
creeping thymes -- if interested, LMK & I'll pot up a few starts (got a couple for Jody)
Yellow Oxeye (Heliopsis helianthoides v. scabra) -- should be a few larger volunteers out there
Lilac shoots (rooted)... pale lavender with great scent, should be 'Belle de Nancy' (Chantell)
Scented Geraniums -- sorry not to have them rooted but will try to bring cuttings of several varieties
Houseplant cuttings -- will try to get a couple of rooting jars going; spider plant babies by request, plectranthus cuttings for Hart
Sedum -- have a low growing one with tiny pointed succulent leaves & little yellow blooms, should be easy to pot up extra
Wild Cherry saplings -- there are a few 1-2 year old ones that I "missed" out there; LMK if you want them.
American Honeysuckle starts (Lonicera americana, non-invasive but vigorous) (Chantell)
Garlic Chives (Miata)
Greek Oregano (wyldeflowr, dragonfly
Columbine seedlings, if I have a chance to pot them up (wyldeflowr,
Geranium 'Biokovo' cuttings (root easily), maybe a few potted ones (wyldeflowr, Happy, hart?
Corydalis, yellow (Happy?, wyldeflowr)

WANTS
If people still have these available, here's what I'd love from the posted lists:
Chantell: Pigs Ear cuttings, hardy passiflora cutting if possible
Jody -- Chelone, Chocolate Eupatorium, Arum halicum
Larlienda -- Ming Toy DL
Hart -- Pussytoes, Clustered Bellflower, Apple Mint, Dorothy Perkins rose if there's one left, Tall Phlox (the purple-red one)
Gita -- Naked Ladies (I think I have the other kind)
Dragonfly -- Purple Shamrocks, Trailing Rosemary, Greek Oregano
Wyldflwr -- ferns, bleeding hearts, lunaria (why can't I start this from seed?? LOL), liriope
SallyG -- bubby bush pretty please if mine still looks sad in 2 weeks, blue creeping phlox, 'Hawara' daffs if you have enough

I can always use low growing groundcover type plants, and I love pretty much anything fragrant, purple, and/or butterfly-attracting.

This message was edited May 18, 2008 7:24 AM

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Critter, I'm almost brave enough now to take a cutting from the 2 remaining trailing coleus you gave me last year for you. We riding together again?

Wyldflwr, what color is the bleeding heart? I'll also take one if it's not pink.

Still need to list my haves for everyone, but I just put stuff out this past weekend and want to see what I don't kill first.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wait until that coleus is nice and robust! The cutting that Sally generously brought for me at the Feb. swap died back a leaf at a time despite lots (too much?) of TLC. I was hoping yours made it through the winter! :-)

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Okay. The red and brown one is still in water. The lacy one is in a pot and not only made it through winter, it made it through the car accident with me. It was on it's way to work with me when it happened. Couldn't believe it survived a week later when I went to get the tags off the car. It's still hanging in there.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill: The Persicaria Red Dragon is gorgeous -- I hadn't focused on it before. Bluestone has 3 for $15 -- still a little pricey. Does it root easily? I'm inferring not.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Alrighty added those interested in the 'Fragrant Cloud' - happy, ya want one? Can only promise one to each person until I get a final count...course I'll be completely embarrassed if this is something else coming up...LOL. I'm pretty sure it's the nicotiana though. Wrightie "obsessed over?" Moi? If you could've sniffed what MY sniffer sniffed last year....ahhhhh wonderful night scent!!! ^_^ Note to those not familiar with it...this is not a "pretty" plant or bloom...good for naturalizing though...one plant will easily fill a 5 gal nursery pot or bigger, when mature - gets to be about 3 ft tall. And she does get floppy (but don't we all with age...LOL) - so I'd suggest a stake later or one of those rings (bought those this year) to keep her upright.
Oh and Jill...none of the Passi's have surfaced...should they make an appearance prior to swap - no problem re cuttings.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 10:58 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell: I'd love one but have no sun, so I assume it'd die in my hands. Thanks for the offer! Better to share it with people who can made it thrive, and then maybe I'll try it next year when it is in more abundance.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Red Dragon' Persicaria roots very easily from cuttings -- just stick them in water. I've given away lots of starter pots and cuttings of it.

Chantell, I just mentioned the passifloras in case they were possible... I can get along without! I may need to place an order with Brushwood, anyway... my 'General Sikorski' clematis has not shown up yet, and if I've lost it I want a nice vigorous one to replace it with so it doesn't take forever to catch up.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

No Jill....it's not a problem...I'm just fretting b/c I'm not seeing any signs of life and I will seriously cry if at least the Incense doesn't start to poke up soon. I absolutely adored the scent last year...ya'll see a running theme with me yet? LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't even realize passifloras were hardy here -- and thought they needed full sun, but plantfiles tells me otherwise. Hmmm.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Incense http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54070/ and Passiflora incarnata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/ BOTH have wonderful scents. There are a few others that are also hardy here...a white one....Car---something, I think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.