Haves, wants and oh please, please help me get a....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL NOT putting it out in the blazing sun and thinking it'll be fine would be one of them ^_^ I'm fairly certain Jill was the one that said to cover it with a sheet or something so it could acclimate to the sun...keeping it watered as well. Duh...wonder what I'd been thinking before...ugh?????

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I've got mazus and it's just starting to bloom now. If you find your way to my part of the world before the swap, just come on by and I'll dig some up for you. Otherwise, I'll plan to bring you some!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

wrightie - so sweet of you...that's the one that has survived...it was the others that ya'll shared with me...but I've got skills now (she states with false bravo)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm hoping DH and I can come to this one. I need to make a list.....I still don't have a lot of plants, but maybe can coax some cuttings off my roses. I gotta look.........

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Aaah, well, I may have some other creepers as well (pennyroyal, Irish moss ... ). Whatcha in the market for?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Aaah, well, I may have some other creepers as well (pennyroyal, Irish moss ... ). Whatcha in the market for?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4002593

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhh that Pennyroyal's lush looking isn't it? How does it handle sun?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, don't feel bad, my purple Mazus isn't blooming either :( Odd though, the white is blooming its fool head off! You asked about Kirengeshoma palmata. We have both K. palmata and K. koreana growing in the gardens. The only difference is the flowers are held upright on koreana and hang down on palmata. It's a unique plant, Rick likes it alot, I can take it or leave it :) Of course, could be that the past two years it's had a few problems - two years ago we had problems with sooty mold that fell from the birch above it and it looked disgusting. Then last year we got the late frost the end of April and it's one plant that doesn't take kindly to frost :( It's bounced back this year and maybe I'll become more fond of it - maybe they just need a better spot in the gardens - they just seem to get "lost" where they are now :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie: Thanks! I need some deep shade plants, which is why I was thinking of the Kirengeshoma palmata. The foliage looks pretty in photos, but I don't know that I've ever encountered a full size one.

That's actually true of a lot of plants for me -- I see them at the nursery, and even though I read the tag I can't imagine them getting to the size they are supposed to be at maturity -- until suddenly they are way to big for the spot I put them in.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's my list of haves, let me know if you are interested so I can get them potted up before the day of the swap so I remember them:

Purple shamrocks (Oxalis regnelli atropurpurea)
Selenocerus grandiflorus - a night blooming cactus
Small Jade plant
rat tail cactus
Willow Oak Seedlings
Sweet Woodruff
Fancy Free lavender football Mum (3)
Irish linen garden Mum (3)
Rose Blush garden Mum (3)
Unknown color Brug seedlings (don't know if these will bloom this year) (2)
Purple Datura seedlings (will bloom this year) (2)
Black mint (very strong mint flavor, doesn't fade too quick)

And possibly these if I can root them:
Hatiora (dancing bones)
Mandevillia "Red riding hood"
Chinese Chestnut tree
Euphorbia Ferox
Trailing Rosemary
Greek Oregano
Thyme
Sage
Tulip Tree
Blue eyed grass
Sweet Gum

Wants:

I have a two acre pond so if anybody has water plants to share, I'll take some or all
Lilacs
Lily of the Valley
seven sisters rose (I'll take even a few clippings that I can try to root)
Irises
peonies

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Jody,

I would be glad to take some Tradescantia, Irises, vinca, Eupatorium and Lily of the vally if you have an extras - I'm a little late to this thread.

Larlienda, If you get some Mimosas, I'll take some. Also if the Lilacs aren't bespoke already I'll take some.

Hart,

if there are any left, I'd like a Mock Orange cutting?

I'll also be adding to my list as I get out into the yard. It's been raining so much here that if the mud doesn't get you, the skeeters will!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

dragonfly53 - I might have some spare EE's if you'd be interested for around your pond. I'd be happy to help trim some more from my Walmart Lilacs they have around their store (not for sale - these are in the ground). And of course the Cacti we spoke of in the other thread. I would love one of your Purple Datura seedlings & some Trailing Rosemary if I could please. Let me know if you're interested.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell, Sure, I'll start rooting the Rosemary today! And the purple dat is yours - I have seeds for white ones too, do you want me to start some for you?
What are EE's?

Wrghtie, do you want any Brug babies? Are the Devils trumpets you are looking for also called Daturas? I have another purple and can start whites in time to have some babies for the swap....

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

great dragonfly!

i'll look for the little mimosas....have to check and see when they bloomed last year....it was such a nice surprise!
bunches of lilacs waiting for a place to be planted :-)

i know i'm interested in your shamrocks
willow oak seedlings
sweet woodruff
& some ofthers i'll have to look up :-)

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

dragonfly.....any extra brugs or datura babies would be great....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have plenty of seeds to both double purple and double yellow Daturas.
I MAY have a few of my seedlings left to share too. They are growing big now....

If you want any seeds--D-mail me please....

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sorry dragonfly - so used to abbreviating everything - sad, isn't it? EE's = Elephant Ear. I went on a "must have" last year with various kinds and really don't have the need or space for more then a couple. They LOVE the water/moist soil...so they came to mind (I'd forgotten that I was going to look for homes for them) when I read about your pond. Goodness if you'd start the whites for me, I'd be in heaven. If it smells good I LOVE it!! Don't suppose you know if your whites are hardy or not? Someone - some where wrote about a white Dat or Brug that was hardy to zone 7...dang, if I can remember where I read it....ugh!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell,

The white Daturas--which are kind of the 'wild" version and very sprawling, DO come back year after year here from seed. I know 2 people that have them and they come back.
I am not overly fond of the white Daturas, as they are kind of--"unattractive" in growth habit, but I have heard that they have a nice scent.

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

If something has a great scent I have no issues overlooking it's outward appearance (this is not applicable to men...only plants ^_^ sorry, I couldn't resist) I'd love some that smell good and reseed!!! Wherever that lost thread is regarding the cold hardy ones - these came back from roots...can't believe I didn't save that thread.....grrrr

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

lol

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I believe the whites MAY be hardy, I haven't grown them yet but got them from someone's garden here in SoBo. I know the purples aren't because I have 3 pots of corpses on my back deck.
I'll take the EE's, I have just the place for them!

I MIGHT be able to get a Yellowish/white hardy Brug cutting - have to go into town and see if it's coming up; I saw it last year near a falling down closed antiques store and I doubt it was planted there last year, so if it has shoots we know it's hardy .

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, if you have any extra EE I'd like one.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Hart,

Just saw your message and yes, I'd love even a teeny bit of the Paprika!
terri

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Dragonfly, could I get some of your sweet woodruff and rose blush mum? I'd take a willow oak seedling too if you have plenty.

I have a bunch of stuff I need to add to my list. I have double white lilac rooted babies as well as the old fashioned light purple lilacs. Let me know if you want one or both.

Be glad to bring you cuttings from both kinds of mock orange. I don't have Seven Sisters rose but I have a beautiful old moss rose with pink flowers. Would you like some cuttings from that? Let me know if you'd like some of the old timey irises.

I have been trying for years to get the daturas with the huge white flowers that the old timers call "horns" or "horns of plenty." They do reseed. I see some in a front yard in Front Royal and one of these days I'm going to just knock on the door and ask if I can have some seeds.

Be glad to put up some Paprika for you and Chantell too. (Referring to a plant I haven't added to my list yet but will.)

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 2:10 PM

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

hart, I've never seen or smelled a white Lilac, is it the same smell as purple? And yes, will take whatever you want to give me, I'm trying to get some hedges in place because I just can't afford to get everthing fenced in.

Yes to old timey irises and moss rose

I just started about 12 cells for the white dats that reseed themselves. Also purple and white dats, purple ballerinas and white dats given to me in a swap in December so I don;t know what they are like.

I also started some ochre brug seeds, so we'll see if those come up and I'll be bringing them also.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Anyone with "extras" of Lilium regale - please keep me in mind...course I also am ISO Orienpet Lilly Silk Road but that's too new for anyone to have extras...gonna break down this fall and place an order!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

The double white actually has a stronger scent than the old timey purple ones. It's wonderful - fills the whole yard. I love the scent of lilacs myself. The blooms are much more full too.

It doesn't grow as huge as the old timey ones and grows a bit slower. It's several years old now and about my height. I'm 5'6" so maybe 5 or 6 feet tall. It is in one of the rockier, worst soil parts of the yard so that might be holding it back a bit.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, pennyroyal does great in full and part sun -- spreads like crazy, yet is easy to pull out, if necessary. It is also considered to repel bugs. I love the scent when I walk on it.

Dragonfly, I used to have tons of brug's, but I've lost them all. *sigh*
Yep datura and devil's trumpet are one in the same, I just couldn't think of "datura" at the time that I was typing that post.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Please y'all, go here and see if you want to join in a mini coop for hellebores, pulmonaria, brunnera and maybe some other plants. Plants to be brought to the swap so no one has to pay double postage.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/837585/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: I didn't realize pennyroyal was so low growing. I definitely would love it to grow in my patio. Did you direct seed it, or squeeze plants between the pavers?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I stuck a small pot of it in the ground nearby and it took off. When I return your crates, I can bring you a clump, if you like. It doesn't like heavy shade, but can tolerate most any other light situation.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I would love a tiny piece. Nothing big, because it might not do well. It would be perfect because I think fleas and ants don't like it, and we have a big problem with them.

But I do have seeds and I think it germinates easily (if I remember right), so no worries.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2008 9:22 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

No, I'm wrong, so I'd be especially grateful.

Is it just me, or does this thread appear in a smaller font than other threads?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is supposed to repel fleas in particular. Some guides suggest re-seeding it each year, so yes, I think you should be able to just scatter them and have success. I have them on the East side of the house, which doesn't get much sun and it is very happy indeed!

I'll bring you some!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you!

I have to get my "haves" list together. I have to get my "haves" list together. I have to get my "haves" list together....

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy - I thought it was just me and I've been trying to fix the font on my computer. The home page of DG is different too. I wonder if Dave is forgetting that there are a lot of us who have trouble reading small print? My nose is almost to the monitor to read!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

That's interesting - nothing has changed for me on the home page, just this thread.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Nothing has changed here at all! Isn't there, somewhere, an option to cheese the print size?
Like way up on the task bar?

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't see anything that is thread-specific. I must have inadvertently hit some weird combination of keys that tagged this thread with a different font. It matters not at all -- it just startles me when this thread opens because it looks different.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

The title bar fonts have changed in this thread; not sure that the font size looks any different to me, but the formatting has definitely changed on this particular thread for some reason. Weirdness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.