Canna #1

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Tell me about it...why is it that I know I'd be less protective of a boy even though it should be the same? *sigh* must change subject

Red and vadap, for whatever reason my ebay canna deal seems to not be working (non-responsive seller, I'm not chasing them after they quoted ridiculous shipping)...but I still have plenty of cannas to share in spring. I should have plenty of Red President, Russian Red (red -leaved, really tall), and Ambassador (red leaved, tall, redish-orange flowers, there's a pic in my tradelist). I have others too and actually updated my journal this morning with a Canna category...so just ask :)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd love one - which has the darkest leaves ?

what happened with the ebayer .. just flake out?

Dang it is so stormy here, I woke up before 5 because the rain is coming down hard - IT IS SO LOUD! Storm continues today... trees are falling because the ground is so wet they are falling on houses & killed a woman in her car.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Ambassador and Russian Red both have really dark leaves, but the Russian has more green with red veins, they're both nice, and the Ambassador grows so fast I'm going to need to start thinning it out as soon as it comes up

well, they sent a message saying they had a family emergency and I haven't heard from them since but they've made new listings...but after they quoted $45 for shipping on a $43 order.......uh, yeah, I'm not pursuing it, it's been almost a month, luckily I'd not paid yet, was waiting to hear back about them adjusting shipping...lol.

It's cold here, there's been ice on the GH the past few mornings, at least it's been sunny so it heats up nicely during the day.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

$45 for shipping ?? Are they sending it in a big clay pot with soil? that is ridiculous, glad you hadn't paid!

Both Ambassador and Russian Red sound lovely - I'd be delighted with either, you can send whichever one you have more of when the time comes. I'll look around in the spring to see if I have anything pretty I can pass your way. I know I should divide the hostas this year, they are beautiful monsters - but perhaps the new homeowner can have the pleasure..... oh how I hate to leave my favorites!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Red, on your favs you can dig up small clumps to put in like 6 in plastic pots and take them with you. Get seeds off the other flowers you have or do like with the hosta. Small clumps.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

whoa, Red, what a scary thought...get your most rare plants for sure. you could always do the bareroot thing too, but then you've got to plant right when you're moving in...yikes. or if you've got family nearby you could plant in their yard? lol...sorry, have to try and get you to smile, but I'd probably do that if I was moving

and yeah for $45 they could pack 5 flat rate boxes and another priority box......maybe they didn't respond back cause I said that. But that would be a lot of plants, sure I'd pay for it then.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey everybody, good news--DD has got water at her house. Yay! Got new pipes put in 5 1/2 feet deep, so maybe no more freezing pipes. But you know how it is when you get a house--its always something happening. She said all the dishes in her house was dirty, did I not teach her what a paper plate was? Apparently the dishwasher was full of dirty dishes when the catastrophy happened. Laverne

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Good to hear! 5 1/2' should more than suffice. I thinkmine only runs about 4'(at least where it enters the basement). My house was built in '74. I know all my main sprinkler lines are a foot down, and it's the black poly stuuf. I never blow out the line, just drain from inside the house to the manifolds.
Trop, whatever you would like to be gracious with, but I already have alot of 'The President'. Both of the others sound cool. I'm focusing on the front yard alot more this year, and am trying to figure out what exactly I want to do.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh man - but I'm glad she's got water (she's probably ready for a shower, too!)

Trop & Pep, my mom would prob keep some things in the ground for me until I was ready (she has a huge yard) but would she give them back? hmmmmm, lol

I'm definitely going to pull all the spring flowering bulbs I planted from Brent & Becky's - those will be fine to store after blooming. And, I'll let try to get the crinums to my moms (but I know they don't like to be moved around) I never thought about taking a chunk off the hosta - but I don't know how that will do in CA, I think zone 9b... it's worth a shot. Ach, all the echinacea, penstemon, lilies, verbena, hebes - I know I can repurchase, but yikes. The lilies grow like weeds here, what is keeping me going is thinking about all the new things I can try out in a new zone. And there are some great nurseries in the area.

Now ebay has called him, too. He has a phone interview with them next week.

Don't start doing major planning til you know which state you will be in. Too bad you can't go to the southern states like Georgia or go north to Washington. I loved Washington when I was driving thru it several years ago. Or better yet move here to MO!! LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I would love any of those suggestions... Washington is just like home. At this point our options are going to be Minnesota or Northern California.

well, we shall see. Today we went to a McMenamin's Theater & Pub to see the Bee Movie. I love that place, we used to live really close to it in SE Portland. It's an old theater, but they have a full restaurant & brew their own beer, too. You can order up your pizza & beer and they have tables in between the rows of seats. FABULOUS!

Northern California won't be too bad. Not as bad as SoCal population wise. And you will only be a few hours from where you are now. Well, more than a few but still driving distance. Minnesota would be cool if you were near the lakes.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Totally ! - and Minnesota homes are fantastic - we could get so much more for our money, plus probably have the view of a lake.... darn it! He has 3 places after him in Cali, so pretty much thinking we will go there. But, yes you are right, I will fit in better with the fruits & nuts mentality of Northern Cali than plastic surgery lipo'd Southern Cali.

It will be nice to be close to our families, most everyone is here.

Well, the weather has turned weird here. We have tornadoes around. And severe thunderstorms. Winter has turned into spring. But then tomorrow we have a chance of some flakes. And we have that chance every other day depending on who you listen too. lol.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

How weird is that - tornadoes are scary !!!!

Hope you're ok Pep, let us know.

I spent the day priming Vincent's room (it was a dark blue - to go with the solar system) not a good selling point, so back to neutral. and my arm is tired, I'll paint it tomorrow.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

It was so pretty yesterday, I spent the day outside putig down more mulch, etc. If it's nice when the sun comes out I might start on the winter cleanup (everything has really now finally died back). Actually saw cannas peeking out of the dirt when I pulled the mulch back....:)

My cannas are still in the basement hybernating. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh how nice Trop, I'm desperate for a day outside! I'll go out Friday rain or shine. I have daffodils coming up everywhere, but my cannas are hibernating in the ground.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

not sunny, but not cold either.....also not exactly motivating but I'm going to get out there, I think being inside over winter is wreaking having on my sinuses.

one of my bulbine in the GH is blooming , way cool

Everyone around here stayed in when possible today. We had a heavy mist that turned to freezing rain in the afternoon at work then over in KS I heard they got quite a bit of snow but it didn't stick due to the ground being warm.

Now I have no choice but to stay inside as much as possible so this cold I have forming doesn't get worse. Ugh.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

hope you feel better pepper. It had been awhile since I'd spent all day outside, yesterday kind of wore me out..but it feels like 60+ outside already, so I'm going to try and attack the front yard today. we've got maypop all over one side of the front bed, usually I don't care what the front looks like but it just looks too bad to ignore

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

hey everybody! what's goin on!

it's been quiet...and I don't have the ability to post cool pictures at the moment...hmmm....lol

favorite album? (not even sure I can answer that one)
flower color you could live without?
food you would knock old ladies out of the way to get to?

lol

no fav album-too many too choose from
blu
bbq or pizza

am feeling better but am still being cautious about it. in others still depending on nyquil so i can sleep and breathe. lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

glad to hear you're feeling better...wow, you don't like blue...interesting, but I can see you as a warm color person.

what do you like on your pizza? I'm plain-cheese-unless it's a place that has the really good weird toppings I like (like feta, sundried tomatoes, etx)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ooooh, agree on the pizza, cheese except when we go to PizzaSchmizza then order the "foo-foo" artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes & goat cheese, very very nice!

I don't think I've seen a flower "color" I really hate, hmmm I'll think on that, I tend to obsess on the colors I like, not dislike.

soup - I'd knock down the old bitties for good soup lol

Thanks Trop, Hope you are feeling better Pep. I've been painting the bedrooms, last one today is Olivia's. I'll be glad to be done, and she's excited because we can sleep in the living room tonight until the fumes die down.

I messrd up on the blue. It's my favorite. lol

I can live without brown blooms. That's the only color I can think of.

Pizza- Canadian bacon and pineapple from most places and hamburger and mushroom from Caseys.

Am close to normal now. Still have some drips, and stuffiness but not much. Have a cough every once in a great while too. Gonna take nasty nyquil again tonight.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

you can blame your color confusion on the Nyquil. .... blech, that stuff tastes terrible, but it does conk you out. Glad you are feeling better.

Yeah, I've had plenty of nasty meds over the years but I don't think any can top that stuff. But it does work miracles.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I wonder when I'll get close to normal...lol, really glad you feel better

One of my best friends totally surprised me when she came to visit today, it was especially nice

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Trop - that is nice, Jan & Feb are long months for me (the endless rain gets to me) a pop-in is a great cheer up.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Album- The Beattles 'white album'
Pizza- any, even the fuu-fuu, but hate anchovies and pineapple, and black olives in moderatioon.
Knock over old ladies-NEVER< I'm a Texas raised gentleman, and the thought would never cross my mind. Now, some smart a$$ little punk- good burger, bar-b-que(Texas style), Pat's philly cheesesteak or Louisiana poor-boy.

Trop, what is normal anymore? LOL A little bent is more fun and interesting!
Pep, glad your feeling better.Haven't been sick yet(knock on wood), but I usually get it in Feb. March.
Red, I'm surprised. They make that fumeless paint, or is it not so fumeless? I have a basement you can paint! LOL

You can buy fumeless paint. Even natural paints like milk paint. But you still need to open windows when possible or to leave the room often. Otherwise you will be a little....crazy. lol

hi Paul nice to see you back again!!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks pep. Actually had to work this week, and was trying to figure out the p and e words that aren't allowed to be mentioned here.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

- yes, I did buy the good paint, but it still has a smell. I would've slept in the room, but since it was my daughter I was just being "overly careful"... and she was excited to sleep downstairs with me. My dh fell probably slept in the middle of the bed - I know he left the tv on all night (I always turn it off, can't stand people talking at me when I sleep).

I'm done painting (for a while anyway) - you'll have to paint your own basement : )

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Red, I love to paint, wish I was closer cause it's something I find kind of meditative.

making a lasagna bed today and finally got the front beds cleaner, it looks a lot better now

lol, what my imagination fills in when I'm clueless...teehee..."p and e words"??vadap I gotta know, good to heat from you

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

hey, yeah - what p & e words are you talking about?

Trop, I really don't mind painting - it's just painting the rooms back to a neutral color is not as much fun as picking out a new color and deciding if it looks good or not : ) - the whole element of surprise thing.

Okay, you've inspired me, gotta get out there and weed/clean-up!

No weeding/cleaning here!! LOL. Everything is dormant so I just get to take it easy.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a camelia that is loaded with buds - it usually blooms in March, but one lone bud at the very top has completely opened up today - it's very beautiful, and looks extremely bright with no other flowers around - lol. I think the rest of the buds are staying put until later.

No fair!! LOL!! My jasmine did bloom the other day here in my room though. The bloom didn't last long because the conditions aren't right but still it was kinda cool.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.