Canna #1

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh cool - that sounds fun! I know of all the family get-togethers here, Christmas Eve is the most comfortable and fun (probably cause its my side of the family) I asked my kids, they voted the same as I. My brother has 3 kids the same ages as ours so, that really makes it fun for them - they come over at 11 am and stay until after midnight..... and some christmas mornings have been rrrrrrrrough ! Ouch - this year I vow to drink ALOT of water between the glasses of wine.

How long will you stay at the beach? I'm sure you've already told Santa where you will be so your daughter will get all of her gifts. Hey, thanks for the red cannas, I'll take good care of them!

My husband is flying to San Jose tonight for his interview in the morning (with Intel). I'm still nervous about moving, but have talked to some nice people on the California forum who have answered alot of questions about different neighborhoods.... There is good & bad, as always.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey, how many more days until Christmas? I guess I need to start thinking about shopping! Fortunately, I have Xmas eve off. A collective pres (me, brother and OH to each other) is the new cuisinart (sp) grind and brew coffee maker. Thing comes with a dang dvd for directions. We all love our coffee, and I got them hooked on Seattles Best. We are all coffee snobs! LOL
Hey trop, count me in on the cannas if you think you'll have a few extra. Christmas at the beach sounds great. I miss the ocean so much, it's almost unbearable.
I'm tellin you red, you couldn't pay me enough to live in California! LOL Don't you know it's about to fall into the ocean?
Hey pep, glad you guys are thawing out, but it's about to get cold again. The weather guessers are even saying we may have a white christmas.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

well hey, vadap! I have only seen one white Christmas, growing up at the beach it didn't snow much....not snowing much here either though. I still have a few more presents to pick up tommorrow and then I should be done. Shopping on Christmas Eve is madness, I've made sure I didn't have to the past couple of years..lol

So, got you and Red down for the cannas, I'll send them in the spring

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Yep, snow on the way again. Up to 3 inches and will probably stick around for Christmas. My sis who lives in IA is gonna get freezing rain tomorrow night and Sat. We were supposed to go up on Sun biut may not now. Depends on her roads.

Glad you all are getting cannas!! I can't wait to stick mine out next year and see what they look like.

Supposed to get my mom dish towels for Christmas now. She is wrapping 2 presents to mail for me tomorrow. lol. Now have to figure out when I will have time to get to the store and get them. Can't X-mas eve cause I gotta work. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Merry Christmas ! last day of school for the kids, Santa better finish his wrapping this morning! --good luck on those dish towels, Pepper.

Hey, Just have to say, we had that Cuisinart a few years ago - and were very disappointed. You could only put a very small amount of beans in ... coffee was never strong enough. We used it for about 10 days and sold it in a garage sale (it's an expensive pot!) So, have they improved it - this was a few years ago. ??!! How strong do you like your coffee? I make 3 shots of espresso in the morning with a little Krups espresso machine and its perfect for me, and no hairs on my chest yet.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are just a couple of the many negative reviews on epinions (I forgot about the mess it made, it really was bad!)

Comments on Do the Grind and Brew - Cuisinart Grind and Brew Coffee Maker" (19 total)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HORRIBLE! (Reply to this comment)
by lynnefive
I'm so relieved to see I'm not the only one whose Grind & Brew basket has been popping open and spilling water and grounds everywhere. What a nightmare. Not only is it terrible to clean (and the aforementioned "jet engine" sound when it starts up in the morning) but, like others have said, it's been trouble practically since day one - which was just ten months ago, I might add.

I called Cuisinart today to try and get a resolution - if I pay shipping they'll send me a new one. When I complained that this wasn't an acceptable solution for a coffee pot that cost $120 (it was a gift, no less) the "customer service" person haughtily mentioned that she couldn't understand why I didn't call earlier. I now await a call from a supervisor. Though, I'm not sure I even want another one of these. Back to my $50 Krups that lasted almost a decade. Oct 23 '06
12:04 pm PDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thing is the worst (Reply to this comment)
by patrick19801
The Basket continues to pop open dumping a full pot of coffee all over the floor. This is the third (and final) time. It has made my oak floor in the kitchen now coffee stained (impossible to get out). Don't they test this thing? Feb 01 '06
11:18 am PST

Re: This thing is the worst (Reply to this comment)
by euryopi
Totally agree with you....when looking forward to finding a freshly ground and brewed pot of coffee, only to find that the filter basket has popped open and you have a floor full of coffee and grounds....very disappointing. Had the previous model of this Grind and Brew....was much better. Oh! Latest trick....grinding cup refuses to come out of maker for cleaning...not fun...not worth the effort. Going to another brand. Cuisinart, you had a good thing before...should have stayed with it. Aug 22 '06
9:58 pm PDT

Re: This thing is the worst (Reply to this comment)
by korilee2006
I totally agree! This is our second Cuisinart grind & brew and when I take it back to the high end store we bought it at it is going to stay there! I am disgusted in the fact that I spent so much money on it in the first place only to return it twice. At first I thought it was because we had to replace the filter, but then after I replaced the filter it still wouldn't brew or even turn on for that matter. Wow I am ticked!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Red, getting the very new one: Cuisinart DGB-900BC 12-Cup Coffee Maker. $200 less discounts. We have a previous model, not sure what exactly, but didn't have any of the troubles those folks were talking about, except cleaning the container where the beans are ground was a pain in the butt. We just used ground coffe for workweek and beans on the weekend. My brother has the 900 on their office, and he really likes it. Our current one has the stainless steel carafe(w/o heating plate-duh!) and it works just fine. Thanks for the link and the concern, though. ; ) "they really do like me" LOL. In case you guys are taking off somewhere this weekend, Have a wonderful Christmas!!! And be safe out there. Paul.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

you guys are making me thirst for coffee at this hour...lol

*sigh* ...finally got most everything done, I feel like I lamed out on the SO this year but I couldn't beat what he wanted out of him. Back to feeling like I'm not quite done yet, but I did feel a sense of closure for a second.

We leave for the beach in the morning to see my folks, then when we get back, his parents are visiting....and I'm kind of tired already. I am looking forward to seeing my hometown friends though, should be fun!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Have fun Trop, seeing your old homies ! Merry Christmas everyone !!

We have more bad weather coming in today. Ugh.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pepper I hope y' all are faring alright, it looks like a lot of the central US is getting snow.

want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and very Happy New Year! :)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Merry Christmas !

"Jump in bed and cover up your head, cause Santa Claus comes tonight!"

We are doing fine. Snow mostly melted today bu we have more coming in several times this week. Including the weekend.

I did have trouble this morning with ice though. I forgot to thaw my windshield yesterday so I had to take 15 min to get enough cleared so I could see. I was one minute early to work. lol. I'm never that late!!!

Everyone have a Merry Christmas!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Whoooo hooo - it's snowing like crazy here (and sticking!) on Christmas Day - that is incredible, never happened in my lifetime that it actually stuck to the ground.!!!

Playing with toys all day -

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Merry Christmas everybody!! Our dusting of snow has turned into at least 6". It's been going since early(before 5) morning, and still cranking it out! Turkey is done, and waiting for candied yams to cook(my specialty!) ; ) Hope you all are having a wonderful day with your families. I'll post some pics I took later(unless I'm passed out from turkey or wine or both!). Paul.

Most of the snow has melted but we have enough to say at least there was some on the ground. lol

Yeah for Red!!!!

We had BBQ brisket, potato salad, regular salad, pumpkin rolls, apple pie and we have a cake that hasn't been touched yet. We didn't want traditional this year. Tired of turkey. lol

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Cooked my first turkey. It was a butterball, so pretty foolproof. I know my way around a kitchen rather well, so wasn't to worried about it all. Skipped on the giblet gravy though. Not enough brain power going for that. Anyhow, here's some pics:

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Neighbors across the street. Only time these dang trees look really pretty:

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

And this is of sushi looking for a cookie- the only way she was going out in the snow. News said we've only had 14 white christmas' in last 100 years. We got about 6-8". Last night, they were still saying that it weould blow through with only a trace. Well, pumpkin pie is calling!

Thumbnail by vadap

Great pics!! Only supposed to get an inch at the most out of our lastest storm. Looks like we are gonna get hit by the same storm.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Another coming Thursday. I think the guesser said 3-6" possible. I hope not!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Merry white Christmas!!! So happy for you guys, hope everyone had a great time. We had a good Christmas, feeling a little hungover this morning, lol.

pepper, did you have snowball fights?

Red, I know you have to be a little tired of putting stuff together by now.

vadap, your animals are so pretty out there in the snow! I don't think I ever saw your foxy looking dog, (what kind of dog is that?)great pics

alright y'all, dish, what did ya get? lol

Supposed to get 3-6 inches too last I heard. Right now just a dusting out there.

No snowball fights yet. Haven't been at work for a couple days andnot enough snow to start any right now.

I got too much stuff. :~)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Great snow pictures ! We didn't get that much snow- just a couple of inches. Last party was last night here - way fun! And I think the glass of orange juice I drank at 2 am must have saved me from feeling too bad Aaaaah, the wonders of Vitamin C !!! And I stayed away from the martinis my DH was making.

Glad Santa was good to you Pepper - my favorites this year a Nintendo DS I can't stop playing "Brain Age" my brain is younger than the rest of me, thats good and bad!

And a game "Say What" - it says a popular slogan, song, etc., but in scrambled order, you have to rearrange the balls so the order is right - at first you get 30 seconds then goes down each time. Totally fun - I highly recommend it.

Hope everyone gets to play this week!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

I am so sick of snow already!!! Had another 6" or so, so foot in the last 3 days!!! Whoever wants to talk about global warming can kiss my butt!! Okay. Thankyou for listening.

Coffee machine works great! Not much different than the last one, except I don't have to clean the grinder every time. Yeah! Also got a 6 dvd set of Dale Earnhardt Sr. (that's nascar-just in case). And way to much candy and cookies. See Red, already had to much, and 3 neighbors delivered more on xmas eve, and brothers friend baked huge amounts(best nutter-butters ever!). So, I am overwhelmed with sugar and coffee!!!! Trop, Sushi is a shiba enu(Japanese for 'small dog'). She's about 9yo, and has only had 1 liter. Maybe 1 more, but getting close to being to old.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL....we got a Cuisinart cbc-som'n som'n coffee maker

and some nerf shooter things...so much fun...and big keyboard with silly drum beats...lol...

vadap...it was 70 degrees at my folks place on Christmas. Come visit here about mid-July round noon and we can talk global warming .....teehee...I still want a pool this time of year thinking about it
...pretty dog really

It is snowing!!! Whoo Hoo!! NowI gotta go drive in it here in a bit. ugh

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

rain rain rain here ( of course ) Got the tree down and all the decorations put away - took the whole day. Whew! Maybe I'll have a glass of that Bailey's my Dad left for me.

Snowed this morning. We got probably 2-3 inches.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

...and I got in-laws.....booo...hiss

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh sorry Trop - they sure visit alot - are they staying for New Years?

Sounds to me like they are or she wouldn't be hissing....

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

and her ears are flat back to her head too, lol !

LOL!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow, I'm getting tons of plant / seed catalogs in the mail - always makes me wish I had started more lasagna beds in the Fall.

Well, Intel emailed my DH that they will be making him an offer. I worry about selling our house in this market - good time to buy, but not sell. He has an interview with Cisco at the end of this week.

Is anyone doing anything fun for New Years Eve (or, as we call it - Amateur Night)

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Poor trop. Those people live to dang close! Glad I don't have that problem.
Red, as you said, amatuer night!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I had no idea how long they were staying, seems no clear plan was in effect this year and it was unnerving. But they're gone, I wish they lived closer so they'd stay at their own house..it really is too much. I know one day I'm gonna have to break down and have a chat with papa outlaw...

Now I feel like I need to get something going for New Year's, but I've already been a little excessive this season......lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Yahoo Trop is back - glad your home is your own again.

No plans here. Gotta work tomorrow but then have the next 2 days off. Normally get together with friends to play dominos but they have other plans this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.