Canna #1

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

trop - you crack me up !!! and I question my sanity at Christmas time.... especially when my 10 year old signed me up for shortbread cookies on "Tradition Night" for her classroom. Ahem, that's like 90 cookies to cutout and frost. Well forget it, I'm buying Keebler shortbread sandies and putting them on a plate.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

90 cookies...um yeah sure, no problem...lol. When I was young my mom brought in storebought cookies for a party....I was kinda disappointed cause she never got into cooking all that much (there's my excuse)....until oneof my classmates screamed out, "Oh boy, Chips Ahoy!" and came running over for them...it was funny

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

i know, they really don't care. There was a boy in my elementary school that would trade Twinkies for our homemade chocolate chip cookies. (I wouldn't trade, but my brother did). We never got that storebought stuff. I never had a nutter butter until I was out of the house.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

yeah, neither did I..lol...we just didn't do too many sweets. Unfortunately we've not been that good about that here.

On the negative side, I found spider mites in my GH yesterday, right after I had cleaned down the whole GH and repotted tons of stuff...so the mites would have fresh soil to lay eggs in...lol. I got some neem today and going to try it this evening when the sun goes down. loving this warm weather, though, it is nice

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm glad you got it all nice and cozy for the spider mites, very good timing.

PEPPER IS GETTING COOOOOOOOOOOOKIES! She was the only one brave enough to send me her address :)

I'm going to the post office tomorrow, so if anyone else decides they want some Rinella Favorites, dmail me your address so I can do at the same time.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL!! I never turn down coooooookies!! Just ask all my coworkers! LOL.

Well, I was supposed to work today but had to call in. The hwy was just terrible. Could only go 35 mph and that was pushing it. Slipping and sliding the whole time. I made it halfway before turning around. Got a few miles from home and there was a bus in this big ole ditch at the bottom of a hill. Swallowed the bus whole. The bus had slipped on the ice and went into the ditch. No one hurt far as I know. I was told help was coming and they were ok so... Not long after I got home they cancelled school for the day. Smart move. Should've done that last night knowing the roads would be this way but I guess they thought the highways would be clear.

Trop, the mites always know when you clean. I have heard that one way to get rid of them is to bring in their predator. Like grasshoppers or ladybugs. Good for the plants bad for the mites.

Red, are the kids still enjoying the snowball fight? I am!! LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I have some ladybugs in there, but not enough apparently...never had these before, looks like a fun ride....lol

Red I would have taken you up on the cookies but I really need to make an effort to get into better shape :)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Okay, just waiting for Paul then - he has a deadline of 9am Pacific Time 12/13. : )

If he misses the deadline he will never live it down. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol Pepper ! yes, I'll even post another picture for him if he misses.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok, here's a pic of winter for Trop. this a greenbelt a few blocks from the house that we take Sushi for walks around. This creek runs into the resevoir, and somewhere down there, a fox lives with her kits(saw a young one roaming the streets the other night).

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's another one for you. Oh yeah, it was about 20* outside.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

This is my cats favorite pastime of late!

Thumbnail by vadap
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Ohhh! What a big baby, first of all...boy or girl (looks like a boy to me)...that's a pretty cat Paul...you know I could say some other things...lol.

The snow is so pretty, I really hope we get some this year, hope you got to play around in it a little. Foxes are so pretty, we have them here but not many, I've only seen one a couple of times in my life...wonder what a baby looks like?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Yeah, trust me I know! lol My OHs cat is a black siamese, and VERY particular on who touches her and when. I always tease my Boy'o about that, even though he is fixed. That's the corner of my bed where he sleeps at night, because it is just to cold outside. Only problem, he refuses to use the liter box, and has taken to waking me at 3am. Started throwing him out at 10pm, whether he needs to or not. Got 7 blissful hours of sleep last night!
The kits were born this past spring. My OH saw them over the summer. The one I saw was about 1/2 full grown, and just as pretty as their mommy. See mom now and again when taking Sushi out for late walks(another reason I don't like Boy'o out at night in winter).

He looks veeeerrrry spoiled!! LOL.

Update on bus wreck. Driver has fractured wrist, cuts and bruises. Ok otherwise. The 2 kids on the bus are ok too. This is kinda what it looked like when I came upon it. Take away the buses and the daylight. I camw down that hill you see there in the pic.
Pic provided by driver's hubby.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

weird, we had 2 bus crashes yesterday in NC..scares me cause my girl wanted to ride the bus this year, but I guess you never know

yep, vadap, ahem, you have some rather spoiled, pampered kitties, lol, but I can't talk much, Alice Cooper lives it up pretty hard. 7 hours of sleep...been awhile

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

holy cow Pepper - I'm glad everyone is okay - what happened to those kids, there are no safety belts on the school bus !! Thats really scary, did they get hurt?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Holy schnit!! I don't miss those ice storms. Used to get them in Houston, when I was younger (ok, much...), but luckily never got anything like what you guys endure. Heck, it's been very lightly snowing all day, maybe 1-2", and I just went out and swept the sidewalks. LOL Very dry snow, here in the mile high city, usually. Now if I can get some work- only 14 1/2 hrs this week! Ouch.

Yeah, the ice was pretty bad. I almost joined the bus coming down that hill but I took my foot off the brake and shoved it into neutral. Then tapped brakes all the way down to keep speed under control.

No kids were hurt. There were only 2 kids and another bus came and took them home I think. Either that or their parents. Just the driver and her worst injury was the fractured wrist.

Here is the back side. Sorry pic is small. I tried to enlarge it but it became too blurry.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Oh yeah, we have up to 6 inches of snow coming in starting tonight. I wouldn't be suprised if it hasn't started already.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

We're done for a bit, thank goodness. Mid to upper 40's all next week!!! YIPPEEE!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

gets cold again next week....

went to a Christmas party last night....not feeling so hot right now

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry Trop - hate that ! Take it easy today, and "force the fluids!" (thats what my mom says, no matter what your problem is)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

forced myself back to sleep awhile...still kinda tired, feeling all old and lightweight...the SO's been in bed most of the day..lol...

did any of y'all watch the Sopranos? we finally got to see the last episode.....wow

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Have some pasta for dinner, sorry you feel bad - sounds like your so is in worse shape.

I'm glad you just saw the last episode of the Sopranos - lol, we have been meaning to rent that series, we kept missing it and only saw it here and there.

Lots of snow here now!! Had to work tonight but left early since I wasn't really needed. Roads are horrible. I kept my 4x4 in the whole time. They are plowing the hwys though it doesn't really look like it.

Gotta work tomorrow night too but roads should be clear by then.

Trop, get better soon!! I always hate getting sick. Have done pretty good since starting here but I haven't forgotten what it's like.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I took a slow recovery day, then we hung out with the nieighbors until late last night.....I've slept better the past couple of nights than in a long time.

Enjoy the snow, pepper. I've gotten lots of Christmas taken care of and excited about my daughter's stuff. When she wrote her extravagant Santa list, we let her know it was a bit steep, and she said, "Yeah, but Santa Claus is bringing it".....and we all know that Santa has unlimited funds, right? lol

I am gonna enjoy the snow. If I had time I would grab the sled out today. But that may have to wait til tomorrow. I have to be at work in a couple hours.

Glad you are feeling better too!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

lol Trop - my kids are getting really excited too ... How many more days until Christmas? they have a countdown going.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey everybody...y'all busy yet? lol
I wish I was done with getting presents, but I never feel like I am...I like giving stuff away...

hope pepper's not snowed in!

Snow's melting here! We got to 44 outside and tomorrow will be even higher.

Still have presents to wrap and I tried to X-mas shop today but it wasn't easy. The store was crowded and I couldn't even get to the jewerly aisle so I got what I really came for and then left.

I also still have presents to mail but gotta find the right size boxes for them. lol Not an easy feat.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Pepper - tell me if your Dad found what you hid??? lol

Yes, Trop crazy we have had an event every evening it seems, xmas programs, piano recital, traditions night, etc. Tonight is nothing - I love nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta go do baths.

Nope, he has no clue!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

sounds like everyone's been busy...I know I'll be worn out by the time New Year's rolls around

Hey, (figured I'd check with you guys first) I should end up with quite a few tall red unid cannas I can send in spring if any of y'all want, just let me know, I have no spot for them really as I'm overrun with red cannas already :)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

... just had to order some Miss Scarlett's Drunken Hot Bullets via the internet, our grocery store was out. They are green olives stuffed with jalapeno & garlic - soaked in vermouth. I;m not a martini drinker but these are delicious!

me too Trop, thank goodness the xmas shopping is done - just a bit of wrapping left. We have Christmas Eve here at our house for my family. Then Christmas night with DH's immediate family, and then the day after Christmas the extended family (here again) about 50 people this year.... whew, mommy might need a martini by the time this is over!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

lol, I hope I can make it through life without having to host a holiday party....good luck, Red, not even done with presents either, got the important stuff taken care of first, though

I don't need anymore red cannas. lol. I have a bunch I got from phicks last year and I also got a mixed bunch from work at the end of season. A big gallon size pot just loaded with different cannas. I can't wait to see what I have next year!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd be happy to be the recipient of a red canna. Thanks Trop!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

cool, when they get here I'll mark them for you Red! I'm so glad at least some will go to someone I "know"...lol

My daughter's vacation starts tmmorrow and we leave for the beach this Saturday. We alternate holidays with our parents, so this year it's Christmas with my folks (yay!)...I don't think it's so bad for him since we both grew up at the beach, his best friend still lives there

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.