Canna #1

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

shoot, I gotta have the low rise, I love my plumber's tan....lol. If they weren't low rise I'd buy them bigger so they would be. hard to find pants with either flares or a good wide leg this year...and I hate pants that are anything near tight around the ankles...ugh

yeah, here's what I got in bulbs..lol, I got some oxalis 'irish mist', 'pink perfection' trumpet lilies, 'backhouse' martagon lily, 'rolf fiedler' ipheion (I can't spell this), and an amarcrinum...I was proud of my restraint for the half off sale, that tecophlieae (sp?) is really cool and I wanted one, but I'm gonna wait till next year, such a tiny bulb the infatuation might wear off. Now that I got the lilies (didn't I swear off lilies?) I don't know where I'll plant them in the garden. With everything dead it's tough to visualize...lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Man, we all froze today at work!! Wind howled all day long. Didn't let up til dark. Kinda hard to keep warm when the wind is blowing like that.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

we actually got slet or ice or something for about 2 minutes yesterday...it got super cold then warmed up...I was in the GH and Alice Cooper was on the roof making the most noise but she wouldn't come inside...lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Alice was having a blast up there huh? funny cats.... you may need another bed for all those bulbs Trop, any more grass you can kill?

If we stay here, I'm definitely taking the grass out around the back patio - I don't know why I haven't thought of it before, our great room looks onto it and is where we spend the most time.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

There's so much more grass I can kill...teehee. I've been eyeing this one spot for awhile right where you look out from the porch as well, we've just always fought over it but I'm doing it anyway. I'm just waiting for the final yard clean-up...hopefully this weekend if I disconnect the xbox...lol...so I can start the next lasagna bed. I 've already started to expand the beds and shrink the paths a little by mounding. I'm getting those bulbs in the ground today, going out in a second (it is so cold in the morning). I realized that it didn't matter where they go so much because I have hardly any spring bloomers, and they'll be done when they tropicals come up. and I put some in the GH and gonna store some as well as planting...in case it's both too late to plant and something happens with my GH heater I'm covered...lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

"I'm doing it anyway !" my favorite!!!! I'm glad your bulbs worked out for you, I like the changes in each season - but it's always fantastic to see everything come up in the spring - especially ones you forgot you planted. :)

Making Christmas cookies here today -- the kids were very happy when they came home, they keep asking for more. The house smells delicious, but my back hurts !!!

We got about 3 inches of snow today. It was gorgeous to watch and a pain to drive in. The highway I drive was in bad shape. Could only go about 35-40. Any faster and I start sliding.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I just wish spring bloomers were bigger, more impressive....I'm so funny about stuff.

pepper, wow, thanks for the pic! aww....man, I wish I could play in that

lol. We have more coming tonight maybe, tomorrow for sue, Sun, Mon, and possibly Tues.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow - GORGEOUS!

I'm with you Trop, I want the beds full, lush, blooming like mad!!!! and why did you swear off lilies?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh boy, my dh just called, he had two phone interviews today. One with Intel that went very well, they are having him fly down on the 21st and stay for a couple of days. Ack! One good thing, it's only an hour flight back home from San Jose- so that would be nice to not be too far from family. Also, I don't think we'd live in San Jose, the housing costs are insane.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Aww, Red, how crazy stressful for you...hope it all works out

pepper, I'm still jealous, when you go sledding you'll have to get someone to take pics of you...lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh yes Pepper - I would love to see you sledding in all that snow !

When I go sledding I am usually alone. lol. But I will see about having a friend come over and hang out. One of my coworkers and I were plotting on how we could use the hills at work for sledding last winter. But we can't do it cause almost all good sides go straight into the lake.

This was after most of the snow had fallen and it was getting ready to change into sleet.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh how pretty, I'm so jealous! anybody up.....

I'm still here. Where has paul disappeared too? Haven't seen him all week. Or have we and I just don't remember? lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

It's only been a couple of days, not time to send the search party out yet, but I'm sure he'll appreciate being missed ...lol...I did want to ask for his lily input. Why can everyone grow lilies and I can't..and yes, Red (sorry I forgot to answer) I did swear them off cause they didn't seem to grow well for me, out of 30-40 + lilies I had 3 or 4 actually bloom. I'm stubborn so I have to try a few more bfore giving up officially. I think it's too hot for a lot of them since they like the soil to be cool.

bear with me pep. the capt'n and I have been out tonite..lol...I have cannas in the GH...they look so pitiful, not enough heat at night, but if I ever get blooms...lol. are you sledding at home?

Nope, no sledding. Weather is too nasty.

As for the lilies, do a general search for some that are hardy to your area. You have any Regals?

Formosan lilies love heat from what I just read.

Ok, gotta go for the night. My eyes are starting to burn.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ok, I see why you swore off the lilies - yeah, they do like the cooler damp spots.

Pepper, your snow is gorgeous !!!

It's sunny and cold here today - DH is going to put up the rest of the xmas lights, there have been some complaints from the neighbors for our lack of light up candy canes. lol

Are you growing daylilies or other ones trop?

The snow is now covered in ice. Icy today and tomorrow and we have stuff coming in on Mon and Tues. The roads are so bad out that everything has been cancelled for this wkend at work and tomorrow they are gonna remain closed.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

You work so hard in the summer Pep, I bet its nice to have down time when the weather is bad.

Most of winter is our downtime. We work but we aren't dealing with crowds. Now we focus on detail work. And if we need to take time off it's not a big deal cause we don't need all 3 of us there.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Trop, the only lillies I have are cheapo Lowes kind, and I put in some orienpets, and my callas. I've got the callas in pots so I can move them into the garage for winter, and I kept them on my west facing patio, so only got any direct sun in the afternoons. The cheapos, I planted under the east side edge of the peach tree in backyard to shield from the direct afternoon sun. Even some sun hardy plants can't take that punishment up here. I did read on this sight, http://lilynook.mb.ca , that tarmagons need to be mulched in warmer climates.
It's 20* with a light snow falling, and not expected to be any better tomorrow. Was hoping to put the rest of bulbs in the ground, but ma nature is being moody again. 2 weeks ago was nice out, but I was very moody. Sheesh!
RTP, moving to california? Say it ain't so! I wouldn't wish that on anyone I know! Tell him not to look for jobs around here, because there aren't any!
Pep, I put in a long dissertation on the 4th. Thanks for missing me though! : ) Our snow is like yours, a bit on the icy side. Fortunatly, it didn't rain. Cat is in and out, but mostly in today. To dang cold!!!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

well, I hope we don't move to CA either, but we may. I'm encouraging him to look in NY - but he works in a very specialized area of tax - so the companies that want him are the big ones - GE, Intel, Sisco. Mostly Silicon Valley. I'm still hoping for Microsoft - Washington wouldn't be much of a change from here. It won't be immediate anyway.

Snow for you too ! fantastic, are you going to go sledding? and Trop wants you to throw a snowball at the mailman.

LOL!! I can't throw a snowball at my maillady. She drives a jeep. Paul will have to do that one for all of us.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

No, I like my mailman. At least with this guy, I know I get all the mail, including junk. Last guy, I rarely got junk, but I wondered what else I didn't get. Fortunately, I keep a close eye on my credit reports. Snow is now covering the grass, and still falling lightly. And, it is 13* outside. High of 27* tomorrow, and all drivers on will-call on Monday(so probably won't be working). Getting hard to put 40 hours together!
RTP, hope your hubby gets to keep you guys up north.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

peg the mailman anyway Paul, he'll love it and maybe he'll ditch the junk for you...lol. thanks for the tidbit on martagons, I feel like there has to be a trick with these things, I think I'll mulch the new liles with some river rock on top of the leaves, which should cool them off some.

got the yard cleaned up yesterday, it's so funny but I 'm so happy to have mulched leaves. Our temps are supposed to be highs in the 70s the next couple of days, so I'm going to wash down the GH. DD comes home after a weekend with the grandparents today, been missing her and not looking forward to the in-laws visiting (do I ever get rid of these folks? ..lol)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

you do spend alot of time with your in-laws! glad your DD is coming home. Can't believe you're in the 70's!

I'll try to post a picture later of our xmas lights, dh did a nice job.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

70's? I'm jealous. Woke up to about 5" of powder snow and 6*!!! Needless to say, we are all hibernating inside today.

Hey!! At least you HAVE snow!! We have ice! And lots of it! With more on the way Mon nite and Tues. The roads are slicker than snot so we are staying inside where it's halfway decent.

The next storm is to bring at least 1" of ice so we may lose power. If I'm not on here Tues night that will be why. In 02 we were without power for 9 days. I am really hoping it won't get that bad here.

You guys need to play this game. Snowball fights galore!!!! Very addicting!!!

www.elfmovie.com/swf/snowball_fight/index.html

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Just got a certificate of excellence. What in the name of sam *^#%! LOL

LOL. I always score 3000+ points when I finish a game.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

okay, showed the kids that snowball fight "elf" game and they took my laptop for the rest of the evening...

this is what I do when I can't garden

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I have whole table full from this morning, I really need to get off the chair NOW, my hiney hurts!

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Jeez red, should I d-mail you my address?!?! Those look almost to good to eat, but I'm sure I'd manage. Actually worked today. The sun came out and a clear blue sky, so wasn't to bad. BUT, we are getting hit again tonight and tomorrow. I hope that pep isn't getting hit to hard with that ice storm. What I heard on the radio didn't sound to good. And trop, I saw you guys were just in the 70s. Hope you survived the in-laws ok. I'll try and get pics tomorrow, if I'm not working.

So far so good. It is just starting.

www.www.kmbc.com/wxmap/1677298/detail.html

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I couldn't use that link - hope your not losing power. Especially for 9 days like last time, that is really bad (and possibly stinky)

**Anyone who would like some christmas cookies will please dmail me their address. We have a few parties & kids program things we need to take them too - but I would love for the excess to be in front of someone else's face instead of mine. My hips thank you in advance! Seriously, really do send me your addresses !!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Today (yesterday) was beautiful, supposed to be nice all week (still cool at night).

Red, *sigh* you stay at home moms that bake cookies all the time make those of us who spend all day cruising adult sites look bad, y'know? lol Really they are nice

yes, I survived the obligatory "gee it's been a couple weeks, you really need us crammed down your throat again" visit....nice to have a GH...tons of work though, gots to spend plenty of time in there checking stuff....lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.