Canna #1

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

No flowers around here! If I remember right, it's late Mar, early Apr when the daffs stick their heads above ground and the forsythia starts to bloom. I can actually see half of the grass in my yard, but more snow predicted mid-week.
Trop, probably nothing as exciting as what your mind might be conjuring up! LOL The scott-irish in me, you know the stubborn, hard headed and opinionated part, just loves polotics. But, that is a non-issue here(and rightfully so), so I am spending a bit of time elsewhere on the web, researching.
Red, don't blame you one bit for being extra careful of those precious youngins of yours!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh, so we can't get political ? Didn't know that is a rule.

Pep, a Jasmine, thats crazy! They smell so delicious. If the camelia is still blooming its one proud bud tomorrow I'll post a pic - if I'm tall enough it's right at the fence line !?

Strangely enough, Olivia's room looks really nice the cappucino color - her walls were pink, green & lilac before (like a fairy puked ! ) so the neutral color really makes her bed & dresser look nice.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Pepper I can never get anything to bloom in the house, and jasmine, you're so lucky. I had one for years and I think it finally bit the dust, too much abuse from me.

well, vadap, that was easy, (real or imagined) but I never could figure out a good one for "e" either way....I'm sorry..lol...what is it?

yeah, no politics....promoting yourself (people really follow that one)...being vulgar...some other stuff, if you look at the bottom of the page you'll see the Acceptable Use Policy. I'm here to inform, you know.

cappucino walls, sounds nice

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

yes, anything coffee related ! Seriously, if I can't do color, it better look like creamy chocolate or coffee of some sort. People should get hungry when they view our house = I'll make sure to have plenty of cookie dough in the fridge to bake off right prior!

I'm just hoping the D's )ahem) dont kill eachother on the way to the ummmm snow colored residence.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL...Red I am so not dealing well with abstracts tonight, for a second I thought we were talking house paint again, and the dang initials are totally throwing me off now...I finally got it......hmmmmm....I like the tall guy, and her...well, always liked her husband. But there's actuallty an r that is alright and it's weird for me to say that. I've been out of touch for a day or two on the p's

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

You guys are too funny. E for elec--on. Coffee colored rooms? I'd never get to sleep. In reality though, I can down a cup and be asleep in half an hour. Came in real handy when I was a sailor, what with getting up in the middle of the night. BTW, loving the new coffee maker!!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Up late last night, weren't we Paul? I have to curb the caffiene after noon, haven't really noticed that it helps me sleep better but it's supposed to.

At first I wa gonna say the R I liked was a sailor but I guess he was a pilot...he goes on The Daily Show a lot.

Have y'all seen the Daily Show or any other late night show without the writers yet? I think it's cool, really

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, totally agree Trop love the Daily Show , haven't seen Colbert comeback yet, should tivo it.

..... except I don't want the strike messing with me seeing a full season of Lost, I don't care if the Golden Globes, Academy Awards etc., don't air but don't mess with Lost!!!!!!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Trop, he was both. I was in bed about 10 minutes after writing that. 10:30-11:00pm is my usual bedtime in winter, as I don't normally arise from beauty rest until 5:30-6. Try to sleep in until 7 on weekends, but cat usually prevents that from happening.
I ran across a bag of orienpet lilies yesterday in the garage, that obviously didn't get planted. What is ya'lls opinion on getting in ground now, potting up in garage(with quite a few other plants) and planting in spring, or just waiting until spring? Ground is only frozen on top inch or two. Snow and more sub-freezing temps by Wed. Garage stays about 30- mid 40's.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd pot them up in the garage - they'll be fine and get a little head start. Glad you're getting enough beauty sleep !

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ok, here's a pic of the camelia who waned to be Queen, blooming almost two months early. All the other buds are closed up tightly. She makes quite a bright spot in the backyard ....

This message was edited Jan 13, 2008 10:17 AM

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Just stick the lilies in the garage like trop said.

Red, that cameila looks great!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I love camellias, wish we had more but it's one of the only colorful things here in winter, mine has buds but no blooms yet. How refreshing Red, thanks...The Colbert comeback was hilarious...it'll probably get re-ran so you'll surely get to see it again..lol

vadap, was that you grabbing up all those musas from the co-op? whatcha gonna do with them?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

???? Not me. Haven't ordered there in a couple of months. There is another paul on there. I'm about to order some jerb and veg seeds from catalogs. Other than that, not much I need to get for this house.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh yeah, Red, pretty flower. My grass is a little less than half green, other than that everything outside is dormant and frozen! LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

OK, good, I thought you were on a manic spree and I was going to try, help you out, and take some of those off your hands when the rush wore off...lol

we don't order seeds for the garden often, unless it's something special. luckily there's a little family owned nursery that sells veggie plants so cheap it's easier and cheaper than starting from seed. I do need to start growing my own herbs again though....

I guess the next project would be what used to be my herb bed...

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

all the catalogs are killing me !!!!! I can't order a darn thing if I don't know where we'll be. I just looked at High Country Gardens yesterday, man it's full of beauties.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Luckily I don't get many, not like I'm not busy tempting myself with online offerings or anything, nope, not me!

Red or vadap, (pep I know you don't care) either of you tried the Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter? highly recommended

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

hmmmm, never heard of that * Gonzo ! Will keep my eyes out, DH loves porter, too. mmmm, beerfood

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

They have a higher %...here in NC that was heavily regulated until recently, so it's really opened up the variety we can choose from..nice

Yeah, with a name like Gonzo I gotta stand behind it. They actually have a Thompson quote on the label. I'm having one now, they sure are thick!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - still too early here, the kids just got home from school. I bought Inversion IPA (brewed in Bend, OR) supposed to be nice & hoppy.

It's raining again for the 4th week straight !#@$!@#$ I'm actually starting to be eager to move to Cali, I'm so sick of the rain.... and it goes on thru April like this. Usually May is nice, then June is soppy again.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm trying to regulate sleep here..lol at least that's my excuse...it's 6 now, just opened....not too terribly bad

our weather's been so crazy, but I can't imagine what the Pacific NW would be like, anywhere that seems rainy and cloudy ...

so my daughter's 7th birthday is in less than a month and she still doesn't know where she wants the party. I can't believe how fast they grow up

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

wow ! I forget your daughter & Olivia are the same grade, man I know it goes fast.

** 6 pm is completely respectable, and when it's 6 here I shall join you !!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Is it 6 yet? lol

Hey Red, have you heard of Sticky Fingers Bakeries? They make some good mixes and other stuff. They are based in Spokane, WA.

Here is the website for you guys. I made their blueberry muffins this morning and I loved them!! www.davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801704/

It is here!! lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

groan...I miss blueberries! I'm so pathetic I have spring fever in January, that's what a couple of warm days can do to us down here.

LOL. I miss most fresh fruits right now. I hate buying the so called fresh stuff right now cause they have a weird color to them.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I haven't even tried berries in awhile here, they look funky. I mainly get pineapples and other fruits I know are already imported anyway as long as they look good.

the blueberries that were here when we moved in are the best you'd ever put in your mouth! lol, I'm digging a buch of runners this year

Ooooh, if they are hardy here I can grow them on the fence with wild grape. I don't eat the grapes since they are poisonious I think but I would love blueberries here!! I'll send you postage for a couple runners or if I have something you want I can send that too.

Can't ya tell I'm desperate? LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

pepper I would be so happy to send any of you folks on this thread stuff that I have! I have no idea of the cultivar because they were already here...but, yum

I trade lots but if you guys can just remind me of all the stuff I talk about you might want (I know Red wants some crinums when she gets established) I'll send them for postage or whatever if you've got cool plants too.

I won't know what I have til spring but I will look around and see. I rearranged some areas last year and some I did literally at the last minute so I have no idea what is gonna pop up. I planted a blanket flower somewhere near my tiger lily but I couldn't find the lily when digging so I have no idea if I lost it or if it's still there. Other plants were a trial zone wise so it is a new space out there! lol

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

don't sweat it, I should have a few :)

LOL. I actually can't wait to see what I have.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Flying dog brewery, on Blake street between 24th and Broadway! Drive by it many times a week in my mixer, as it is only abt .5 miles from where I work, and that is how we go downtown, and/or through town to get to southbound freeway. 4-5 blocks down from Coors Field, our baseball stadium. Haven't been in there in years though. Maybe have an excuse now. I'll trade you cold and snow for your rain, red. Suppose to be somewhere between 11 and 18, for the high tomorrow(depending on who you listen to). Next Mon and Tues aren't any better!

Our highs are gonna be in the 20s. lows in teens except on Sat when it hits singles. Brrrr!!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

it's cold here, but not cold quite like you guys have it

vadap, you should take your woman out for a Gonzo...you might have to carry her to the car if she has more than a couple, they pack a punch

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha - sounds fun! Sounds like you'd have to walk home tho. Stay warm everyone !

It is raining here and gonna turn into snow. Tomorrow morning my windshield is gonna be frozen solid. Grrr. Only gonna be around 17* or so.

Oh, went riding today. Rode a different horse this time named Lucky. She is short. Short neck, back, and legs. Has a choppy trot that had me slamming the saddle at times. lol. Her canter wasn't much better-what little I saw of it. lol. But she is so much more challenging than April and I love that!! :~)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I bet that is kind of fun horse riding, had a friend that trained horses and did therapeutic riding, always seemed like fun but then she always seemed tired, too..,lol. What's a canter, if you don't mind?

we're supposed to get some form of ice, sleet, snow..who knows, everyone's lost it including my daughter. Here in the South it is customary for people to stock up on groceries and hoard bread and milk at the first forecast of snow, like we're gonna have a blizzard and be snowed in. we legitimately ran out of milk, so I went for the traditional snow milk run and it was a madhouse at the grocery store, not a loaf of whitebread to be found..lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.