I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Tim Curry - ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW! Seen it at least a dozen times - but I never dressed up!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Never saw it Amy but anything with Curry is worth checking out.

Must be a Left Coast thing. We lined up at midnight on Saturday to see it for years. Most people dressed up like the characters and everyone knew every line! The entire audience participated with singing and even adding "objects" that fit the theme. At one point the exclamation "Great Scott" occurs and rolls of toilet paper were flung in the air. Considered it a bonus if I caught one to take home that night. Susan Sarandon was in it along with the Andy Warhol characters Magenta and Columbia. Meat Loaf was in it too. It must have been one of Tim's first flicks. He appears in drag - imagine that!
Here is the official fan site http://www.rockyhorror.com/ .

South Milwaukee, WI

Yankee Cat- I never saw that movie- It doesn't interest me, but I do hear about people here, going to see that movie on Saturday at Midnight and dressing up and all of the audience quoting the lines. Sounds crazy to me, but I guess different strokes for different folks.
(I never watched a R rated movie before and don't care to myself.)

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

(i was columbia in the STL cast for 3+ years.)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

People go crazy for it downtown NYC every year around Halloween.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hold on. I know Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was a cult classic here too.
I don't know the witch one you mentioned Curry was in.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Of course, RHPS was based on the Rocky Horror Show, which Tim Curry also starred in. For once Hollywood was smart and cast the star of the show in the movie. RHS had a B'way run a few years ago at Circle in the Square. Dick Cavett played the narrator, and Lea Delaria was Eddie.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Amy, I'd love to introduce my theatre smitten daughter to you some day. She has been bitten!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Not a bad bite to receive, Dave. My youngest DD was a very good dancer, up until she got married. She hopes to get back into dancing when her kids are older. I loved being a 'stage momma'. Of course, I was the most nice and polite of stage mommas.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Amy, are you old enough to have seen Alfred Drake in anything?

Dave - wow - both bitten and smitten! Looks like Don's having an influence. Has she yet played a kitten?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I've watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation twice in the last week. Tops the list in my fave Christmas movies! Next.....Home Alone- watched it Sunday

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi Dianesjungle! Welcome to the NE forum! Love the NL Christmas Vacation myself!! If you hang around here often, you'll find that laughing is a byproduct of the forum! I have found it interesting to see how many of us enjoy many of the "now classic" comedies. I could watch Caddyshack over and over.....and the dancing scene in The Jerk is awesome. I laugh so hard when I see Steve Martin trying to have rhythm! Oh, LOL!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you folks for recommending "Ned Devine". We love it!!!
I think the most hilarious scene was the old man on the motorcyle. Failed to have his clothes on, but not his crash helmet!!!

South Milwaukee, WI

The Best Best Holiday Movie-- "Treasures of the Snow" . I promise it's the best movie !!

Hi there!
That's a movie that I'm not familiar with at all. What's it about?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Did anyone mention Sabrina(the remake)? with Harrison Ford, Julia Ormond, and Greg Kinnear-ok it's a chick flick but it's a good one!

All the talk earlier in the thread made me buy a copy of Arsenic and Old Lace - today is the perfect day to watch it.

You'll enjoy it, Cat!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Bully for you!

Phoenix, AZ

Dial M for Murder
Midnight Lace

Any Ingmar Bergman
John Cassavettes (OMG I wish they'd release his body of work)

Original Pink Panther

French - Love me if you Dare

Contemporary - Big Fish, Amelie, Cocolat

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Welcome Aguane! I haven't seen "Love Me if You Dare, but I like the rest of your list.

I like Cassavetes. I saw him when he was filming Tempest in Astoria.

South Milwaukee, WI

Candyce- It is a drama filmed in the Swiss mountains-(beautiful scenery) about families, emotions, and forgiveness. (guaranteed to bring some tears) and suitable for the whole family. I hope you get a chance to see it.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Don't know how I missed this thread but now I know what NE gardeners do all winter. So many of my favorites are already mentioned but these are some that I cannot walk away from if they're on the tube. American Beauty- love the dancing bag scene, Sense & Sensibility, Shawshank- doesn't Morgan have a beautiful voice?, Sophie's Choice- I don't cry, I can't catch my breath sob during THE scene. Alrhough I'm not a huge musical fan, I love Idlewilde and Moulin Rouge. Guilty pleasure is Titanic. March of the Penguins is jaw dropping (and I cried) And of course, any J Depp movie even if it's not so good. Another guilty pleasure.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

This weekend we rewatched 2 modern Christmas movies. Both have a lot of heart and are funny. Elf and Olive the Other Reindeer. Just noticed that Santa is the same actor in both: Ed Asner.

Never saw either.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Olive is by Matt Groenig of Simpson's fame. The drawing is more like his "Life in Hell" comic strip. It's funny, not at all cynical.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i would go for the original Sabrina, not the remake. Julia Ormond is no Audrey Hepburn (but then no one could be).

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm with you Amy.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

To those that recommend ed "A Christmas Story"..thank you very much. We bought a copy and thoroughly enjoy it! So many wonderful scenes!
It's a hoot when Ralphie described his dad's cussings as being like an artist at work in his chosen medium!!

~Jaye

Yes - it's a classic. As I said earlier, I only saw it for the first time last year and now it's already an annual event! The narration is priceless.

Phoenix, AZ

Anything with
Paul Newman
Jack Lemmon
Kevin Spacey
Spencer Tracy
J Depp
Dustin Hoffman
Kathrine Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn
Angelina (Girl Interupted)
So many great actors from the past. Some great ones currently. But they're kinda few and far between.

I loved the old movie Rebecca because of what was not revealed. Real mystery.
Gone With the Wind, because of the rawness of what WAS revealed.
I loved the Swimmer with Burt Lancanster
I just saw American Gangster with Denzel. Loved it but not great.

And.... one of my favorite director/writers Collin Higgins (major comedy)

Ah! Denzel!!
I just re-watched 'Bone Collector' on TV. That's always a good one.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Another Denzel fan here. Just re-watched Philadelphia. Denzel, Hanks, Antonio were so young.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Have you ever seen reruns of Bosom Buddies? Tom is a child.

Phoenix, AZ

I'm a Tom Hanks fan... he's a great actor but not wild about the movies themselves. I didn't see Bosom Buddies but it would be fun to see him as a young guy.

Siesta w/ Ellen Barkin
The Usual Suspects w/ Kevin Spacey
Sixth Sense w/ Bruce Willis
Memento w/ Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano (Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert was pretty funny)

why? Because I could not anticipate what would happen from scene to scene much less the endings. Huge surprises which I love in a movie.

Loved the Usual Suspects. Will have to check out the others.

I liked Bosom Buddies.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I gotta say I hated Bosom Buddies, lol! If you had told me then that Tom Hanks would have been a star - not to mention a great actor - I never would have believed it!

Saw a new-to-me movie this week. Little Miss Sunshine. Quite good! Not sure if it was already mentioned above...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.