I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

The Hanson Brothers!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Right! Thanks.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I also love the original Sabrina. The remake is okay...but I love old(er) films the most.

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

JAWS

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

LOL!
I have seen it a BAZILLION times - including dubbed in Spanish & French.

Part of the movie was filmed in Oak's Bluff on Martha's Vineyard. One of my aunts lived there and appears as an extra in one of the beach scenes.
She died 6 years ago so it's always nice to see her again.

Nancy

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Nancy:

How wonderful that you can 'see' your aunt from time to time. It must be a blessing for you. I feel the same way about some friends that I 'see again' in the Jumanji movie. I even met Robin Williams, as I was working as a night manager at the hotel where he was staying. I was so surprised to see that he was very short. I, at five-four, am just as tall!

Greensboro, AL

Its sometimes a surprise when you see someone from the "Big Screen" for the first time in person. I remember seeing Steve McQueen racing his car at the track in Santa Barbara. Im 5'6" and he was smaller than me.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Who's the singer who did "What's new, pussycat"....Tom Jones? He's very short....I saw him from above! Hey....we could start a new thread: Our favorite short actors/ personalities! hehe Makes ME feel better! :-)

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I've seen Tom Cruise - he's short; Howard Cosell and 'Tiny Tim' were very tall, in fact 'Tiny Tim' was HUGE when I saw him @ JFK airport; Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn with their son were on the same flight 4 rows away from me on a Quantas Airline Flight from Hawaii to LA., Goldie just looked normal, though a tad on the slim side, Kurt had the biggest head I have ever seen on a human being!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Pacino is short.

Phoenix, AZ

Robert Redford
Linda Hunt
Danny Divito

(I will never, ever see another T Cruise movie. Bad actor. I liked Collateral but it was Jamie Foxx's flick.)

Dustin Hoffman too. I completely agree about Cruise. 1000% ego.

Greensboro, AL

Maybe Cruise is a ladies man. I heard one woman say if they perfect human cloning Cruise should be a candidate so he would be available for future generations to come.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Add Michael Jackson's to the 'mix' & we could ship it out to our worst enemies! lol!

Mannford, OK

The African Queen because I love Katharine Hepburn and Humphry Bogart.
&
The Full Monty just because of it's humor, I like English movies.
&
Wonder Boy, because of the same warped humor.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Poor TC. That guy's been getiing a hard time ever since he jumped around on Oprah's couch. I can take him or leave him as an actor, but I do think his acting in The Fourth of July was superior.

Greensboro, AL

I agree with The Fourth of July from somebody who is old enough to remember Viet Nam.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

TC seems to smile that smile of his at the wrong times....it just doesn't seem real or genuine.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

But I really like his wife! She is so cute.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I always think of Tom Cruise as a "movie star" not necessarily an actor... but then when I see one of his movies, I have to admit he's done a good job in what I've seen - Risky Business, Born on the Fourth of July, Rain Man. Good - even very good - performances all, IMO.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

He has made a joke of himself, but I think he's always been a superb actor. Even way back when he was starting out, he really impressed me in Taps, Risky Business, and The Color of Money. They were such diverse roles, but he performed all of them so well.

Greensboro, AL

I wonder why men don't seem to appreciate him as much as women do?

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i have never been much of a fan of his, and his personal behavior lately has made me even less so. i was very impressed with his performance in Magnolia, though - it was such a surprise...

I like a few performances, but in general, he just tweaks the 'hot shot' role to fit so many movies. And the hot shot part is him being him.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Tom Cruise - Once upon a time I thought he was kinda cute (early in his career, Top Gun, etc.), but now he just makes my skin crawl.

I like that analysis better!

Greensboro, AL

He is just not a man's man!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

... nor a woman's

(although, there are those who believe that he is indeed a man's man)

That has nothing to do with it. There are many actors who women swoon over that I find very talented. He's just not one of them!

Phoenix, AZ

gloria125 - I disagree with your premise.
wrightie - I agree and I think in the end at least much of America has outgrown him and moved on.
At some point he was given movies because he was fresh and talented.
At some point he was given movies because he sells tickets and a big studio could afford to throw lots of money into his projects. ... and $20 million to him alone, not including his required entourage.
At some point America has decided he's not that good, the script and story aren't that good, Mission Impossible is O-L-D. and his flicks are flops. No more big cash flowing his way.
Spielberg is distancing himself and TC actually had to set up his own production company and its not deemed to be a success yet.

To me, at this time, as an actor, he's a fraud. Just my preference, but I will enjoy a great well, written, well cast, thoughtful film to any TC movie that is released solely for the purpose of making money. Too many other great flicks to see. He's not getting my $8 ever again.
~Susie

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

you can see movies for $8 in AZ? Here it is $10 & ↑

Phoenix, AZ

I know!!!
In L.A. they are beginning to consider the parking lot part of the movie experience and charging for a space. Watch out!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Since this thread has gotten so long, I started a new one. Please join me here to continue.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/802635/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.