I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

I love this thread! I think it could go on forever, lol!

Here's one I forgot - Everything is Illuminated. Great movie. A bit of a downer at the end, but a movie I can (and do) watch over and over.

My son keeps bugging me to watch The Departed. He says it's one of the best movies he's seen. I'm not sure if I'm up to the violence, though, even though I keep hearing from many people how good it is...

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

if you like everything is illuminated, you should check out the book - i loved the book!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

The Departed is great.Just close your eyes at certain points or take the attitude I do. It's fake blood. Jack is still alive.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hard to go wrong with Scorsese, Leo and Jack. Haven't seen it yet.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i watched it on DVD pre-oscars when i try to see all the major nominees.
(i fell asleep.)

Not violent enough to keep you awake?

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I slept through True Lies four times till I finally stayed awake. Ultimately loved it. Too funny.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I thought The Departed was very good, but not great. It has a great cast. Matt Damon, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin and Mark Wahlberg plus Leo,&Jack (I never thought I would end up liking Marky-Mark)
Definitely worth seeing

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i liked matt damon in The Good Shepard (from the same season) a lot more - very understated, but excellent.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like Olive the other Reindeer, For Richard Stanz .LOL

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Has anyone seen any of the movies that just came out in the theaters this Christmas? I'm especially wondering about Denzel's new movie....I think it is called "The Debaters"??? I generally like anything he does, and the preview of this one looked interesting. I'm not sure I have the correct title.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Your at least close Donnie. I think he still has 2 movies out. American Gangster is supposed to be good.
The Debate movie stars Denzel & Forest Whittaker. Then they looked for the kids and chose one named Denzel Whittaker. Amazing coincidence.

I will check out The Good Shepard, Amy

Al, Martini was shaken, not stirred.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Just saw "The Gold Compass" special effects were terrific - and so was the acting. Story is a bit light-weight, but maybe if I had read the book first . . .

Have you ever had the experience of a spouse insisting you watch a film - and it is a TOTAL TURKEY? All I can say is . . . avoid the flick, Ultraviolet. It gives "cheesy" a whole new definition

Micheala, I'm sure you've heard the news today that Rowling in considering HP 8? I predicted she would, though I did not think she'd be considering it this soon.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I hadn't heard anything about Rowling, Victor. Interesting...

Like you, I had thought it would take longer too.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

"His Dark Materials", the trilogy of which "Golden Compass" is part one, is among the best things i have read in many years... Although they are classes as YA, i'd recommend them to anyone.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow! I thought JK had started on a new project.

It's like Sly and the Family Stallone with Rocky. She will ALWAYS be associated with it, whether she likes it or not.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Great thoughts, all. I hadn't heard about Ms. JKR, but happy that she may have decided to create HP8. Her HP books have become a family staple.

Happy New Year, all!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm not so sure about this JK rumor. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Don't you have access to news in CT, Dave?!

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/books/720532,potter123107.article#

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

LOL! Hey, I'm in CT and I found it!

(Well, I found it after Victor mentioned it and I did a search!) ...

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That's old news. She won't rule out ever writing one in her lifetime. (She has ruled out writing one after her lifetime.) They must be out of news in Chicago.

Dave - stay with us - it was reported on multiple news outlets yesterday! I heard it on WCBS newsradio and saw it on two or three web news sites. This was not old news but a recent statement or interview. Stallone will star as Rocky Wizard.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, Everyone,

I'm enjoying this thread even though I don't really keep up with new movies. I mostly watch older stuff on DVD. I prefer dramas with beautiful scenery and sets, and these are some of my favorites:

Howard's End (I liked most Mechant Ivory movies.)
Godfather 1 and 2
Out of Africa
The Talented Mr. Ripley (with Matt Damon)
The Day of the Jackal (1973 with Edward Fox).

Two delightful French movies which I liked very much are My Father's Glory and My Mother's Castle.

And two of my hometown favorites are Annie Hall and Moonstruck (I grew up across the street from the Italian bakery used in Moonstruck.)

By the way, I graduated from the high school shown in the opening scenes of "Welcome Back, Kotter." The outside shots of the school (New Utrecht H.S. in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn), and the subway station are real. The rest is fiction. My teachers weren't nearly as entertaining.

Loretta

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Cool Loretta!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Victor, Are you serious? HP 8? Wow . . . . I wonder where Rowlings will start the story . . . I mean, do Harry and Ginnie get divorced? Or is this HP the second generation?

No details given. She only said she may do it and that her daughter keeps bugging her to do it.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

From what I've read, it would be a prequel kind of thing - maybe going back to Lily and James and their generation and what happened back then... or at least that's what others are speculating, if not exactly what JK had in mind.

I think that IS what others are saying, not what she said.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Still starting rumors?

Didn't she just say she wouldn't rule it out?

Yes, but she at least implied it would not be for a while. I would not consider 6 mos. a while!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Some of my favorite movies:

Tampopo - Japanese movie about food
Raise the Red Lantern - Chinese movie about polygamy
Raising Arizona
Kill Bill 1 & 2, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof (I dig Quentin Tarantino)
Kung Fu Hustle
Life is Beautiful - Italian movie about the Holocaust
Strawberry & Chocolate - Cuban movie
Fight Club - great twist
Chicago
The Shawshank Redemption

that's all I can think of for now.

Harper

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I've seen Tampopo - it was great.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, wasn't it? I haven't seen it in a long time. I think I'll go rent it.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

'Raising Arizona' was hilarious!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The actress that stars in Tampopo, Nobuko Miyamoto also stars in A Taxing Woman and A Taxing Woman 2 - both of which I liked.

Greensboro, AL

My favorite film of all time is The Red Shoes starring Moira Shearer.
The story is by Hans Christian Anderson so it is not a modern film, but the theme is very much the story of any modern woman who is trying to maintain a professional lifestyle but succumbs to LOVE and all the dilemmas that creates.

I would hope that someday some one would re-create this film and there would be a different ending. Unfortunately, the one in the film often still seams to be the appropriate solution.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Was Moira Shearer a ballet dancer with the NYC ballet company?

Greensboro, AL

http://www.ballerinagallery.com/shearer.htm

According to this bio she was with the Sadler Wells company.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.