I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

So how did you like Blazing Saddles when you resaw it? I had that experience watching with my then 16 year old son and was very surprised at how times have changed what is acceptable. Awkward.

I liked Roxanne too. If you want to see something that looks brainless but is really warm and good, Uncle Buck with John Candy. Not a best movie ever but a nice surprise.

Pulp Fiction is violent with lots of swearing, but it may be the movie that most amazed me in my life. I loved Travolta & Jackson.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a Broadway musical. It closed last year, but i think it may still be touring. I loved it, which surprised me - it was just a big, silly musical which made me laugh till i hurt. John Lithgow played the Michael Caine part, and Norbert Leo Butz won the Tony for playing the Steve Martin part. (And as a techie, it was one of the best designed shows i have ever seen!)

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh, how could I have forgotten Arsenic and Old Lace? That's one of those movies that every time I pass it on a channel on TV, I think, oh, not again... and then I get sucked in and remember what a great movie it is! It really is a classic!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

One of my favorites also! 'Charrrrge!'.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

SCSU just did the play last year - got to take it to the regional competition of the American College Theatre Festival.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Dave47, when I first saw it, (Blazing Saddles) I was shocked with all the "n" words thrown carelessly. Now....I look at it as Brooks' statement on racism. I don't think this film could be made today.

Absolutely right on all points, heaven. Could never be made today (though many stand-up comedians say much worse, though that's finally starting to change a bit) and Brooks certainly did use humor to reveal how awful racism is.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Michaela said something about USA being the only country where you can't talk about sex but you can talk about murder, although she said it much more eloquently.

x, c

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Carrie when it comes to sex, I am a provincial prude! LOL!
More foreign movies to recommend. If you're into great love stories, this Korean movie, "Chunhyang", is one.
A movie about putting faith to the test...Israelis' "Ushpuzin".

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

A wonderful woman that worked for me, has a son that was one of the people that brough Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to Broadway. Amy, do you know him? Last name is McAvay.

I liked the original so much (forget its name but it starred David Niven and Marlon Brando) I never wanted to see Steve Martin's version.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

"brought" in what way? like a producer? no, i don't think so.
(but i actually went to HS with Norbert Leo Butz - well, he was a big deal senior when i was a freshman - he played Sky in G&D and was quite the heartthrob even with that name!)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes to your question. And Norbert Butz is quite a name! Did they call him No Butz for short?

I would have called him 'Ifs-ands'.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I forgot one of my favs... it cracks me up still, The Princess Bride. "Have fun storming the castle!" And also all three of the Hobbit movies, there are so many good ones, there is also a lot of yuck out there. Okay just thought of another one, Terms of Endearment. :)

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Norbert was also Fiyero in the OBC of Wicked.
There was a whole Butz family that went to my HS - i remember a Tim and a Teresa, but there were more. (did i mention i went to Catholic school?)
"Why look Bob, it's that nice Butz family. Hi, Mr. & Mrs. Butz! How are all the little Butzes? They sure are growing fast!"

BTW, i always thought that the actor on The Shield, Michael Chiklis, had a truly unfortunate name. Can you imagine going thru HS with a name like chick-less? Maybe thats how he wound up looking like such a tough guy - i mean you'd have to, right?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Uncle Buck is one of theDVD's I've purchased because it's one of the ones I can watch over and over- right along with another great one of Candy's movies- Summer Rental!
Steve Martin? Parent'Hood! Bought the DVD
Jaws!- Every time it's on TV my husband makes the comment he knows what I'll be watching!

Arsenic and Old Lace- One of the few old movies I watch over and over! Hillarious!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I must admit - I like Groundhog's Day and Doc Hollywood. :-)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

love Doc Hollywood(actually have it on dvd) And are British movies considered foreign?! The Full Monty and Billy Elliot get my vote oh and Waking Ned Devine!

Unless the Revolution is still on, they're foreign! I loved The Full Monty.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I love Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day" and also "Lost in Translation"!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Waking Ned Devine is a good one!

Saw one on TV the other afternoon - old and somewhat dated but kinda fun! "The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!"

Which puts me in mind of a classic which I don't think has been mentioned here yet - It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World! Great cast, fun movie!

Which reminds me of yet another old one (they just don't seem to make movies with all-star casts like they used too - maybe too expensive today?) - Murder By Death. A big favorite of my son's... and me too!

Oh - can't believe I forgot Mad...World. One of my all-time favorites too! Jonathan Winters was hysterical.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Waking Ned Devine was hysterical :-) Nothing like seeing old men naked!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Y'all got me curious on "Waking Ned Devine" . Hope the local BB video store carries it.
Edited: It has a 7.2 rating on IMDB..must be good.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2007 12:56 PM

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Just want to remind everyone to check their local public libraries. You can borrow DVDs for free at most of them. Some have a small rental fee ($1.00) but at least here in CT, the majority of them loan movies for free.

Great for people like me who always take movies out but never get to watch them, lol! At least the price is right!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Diane, Glad to find another Uncle Buck fan.

So many great movies. Old & new (they just make a lot more bad ones these days) Has anyone mentioned Edward Scissorshands among the Depp movies. I thought he created a wonderful character

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I almost mentioned Edward Scissorhands earlier.....So while we're talking about this type of movie-
Beetle Juice! Favorite part of that one? Day-O Daylight come and me want to go home- at the dining table- so funny!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Diane, I think I just found another person I'd be happy to gothe movies with!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

LOL! I take it you found the same humor in that one I did?!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That, Scissorhands & Uncle Buck!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Some of the comedies that can still make me laugh after dozens of viewings are Animal House, Caddyshack, Seems Like Old Times, and Ruthless People.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I also enjoyed Scissorhands - bought the video for my son, but watched it a few times myself.
A newer movie I really liked was Derailed. Although I recommended it to a friend who thought it was too violent.
And Crash, I need to watch that one again.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World! I love that movie! I set the tivo to record it whenever it comes on!
Hey did anyone see Sneakers with Robert Redford, Sydney Poitier, River Phoenix, Dan Akyroyd? Love the blind man(played by David Strathairn) driving scene!
Also when The Sting with Paul Newman and Robert Redford comes on I drop everything to watch it!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Call me a 'Pollyanna', but I also can't watch 'Pay It Forward' without tearing up.

I bet we have some great 'Pay it Forward' stories from people in this group.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey guys, guess what?! It'a Mad....World is on tonight on TCM, at least in my neck of the woods. A little past my bedtime, lol - 10:15PM - but check your listings if you want to watch a fun movie!

Thanks Dee. I'll set the DVR.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Pay it Forward' is one I just loved with a great lesson to be learned. I'll admit I own it and have watched it at least 6X.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

The ending just makes me so sad.

Then 'play it backward'!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Only for you, Victor. Only for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.