I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I found Conan the Barbarian to be a tear jerker.

Willy Wonka And The Choclate Factory

Just watched that with my kids last night! They loved it and I liked it a lot. I had seen it once as a kid. It's a must-see for today's parents.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Victor, you're kidding right??? Conan??? Had never seen that.

Yes I'm kidding. It's a very complex movie on so many levels. Hee hee.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Original Willy or Johny Depp?

Original. Haven't seen the remake.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Willy Wonka!!! Loved it. I too only saw the original.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Okay, my turn to jump in here. I should've done it sooner - I have carpal tunnel from scrolling!

My favorites are:
White Christmas!!!
Oceans 11 and 13 (12 wasn't that great)
Blast from the Past - Brendan Fraser
Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and 3 (didn't like 2)
Shawshank
Green Mile
Glory! - glad you mentioned it digger

grandpapa - Peter Pan can be found on dvd
Dave47 - you mentioned two of my faves: Bennie & Joon, and Killer Tomatoes

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

DH is a big fan of Paul Giamatti. I have to agree he's absolutely brilliant as Harvey Pekar in American Splendor. Love the soundtrack!!

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

heavenscape, the movie called La Mome in Europe was realeased here in the U.S. as La Vie En Rose. It is really excellent, and out on DVD either this week or next.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I got my tissues ready. Thanks Amethystsm. :)

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I LOVED "American Splendor"! It was really groundbreaking. The device of having the real Harvey Pikar and his wife doing a running commentary worked well; who'd have thought?

Which reminds me of another of my favs- "American Beauty"! (Not for the squeamish, I suppose.) A well-deserved Oscar there.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hmm, funny - I never saw the appeal - or the Oscar-worthiness - of American Beauty. But my husband, who agreed with me, watched it again the other night, and he told me he changed his mind after another viewing, and thought it was a really good movie. Maybe I need to watch it again also...

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

I think there's no excuse for the Academy not to call us this year for our opinions. We're all such good critics!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I would have to pick French Kiss with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan,
Philadelphia Story with Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart,
and just about any Cary Grant movie there is! Oh, and Young Frankenstein-no-body does it better than Gene Wilder!!!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh my goodness - now that you mention Keven Kline, why didn't I think of these movies earlier?? - A Fish Called Wanda, and I Love You to Death. Fun movies.

I also love Cary Grant. I mean, really, to be honest, he played pretty much the same character in almost every movie, lol, but what a character it was! Charming, witty, smooth.. He's the reason why His Girl Friday was on my original list way at the beginning of this thread.

I love Cary Grant but disagree with you Dee. He was much more versatile than he gets credit for. Check out the one I mentioned above - People Will Talk.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Okay, Victor, will do! I just placed a request at my library to get a copy of People Will Talk. Hopefully it will prove me wrong!

I think you will enjoy it!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

As far as this year's movies go, about the only one I have seen that might be worthy of an Oscar, would be "Transformers". And the Oscar would be something to do with the visual artistry. Can you tell that I don't know much about the Oscar?

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Though I'm not from your area I saw this one on the most recent postings...and couldn't resist. Can I add my 2¢ worth, please?

I Am Sam. Sean Penn does an amazing job as the young man who has mental challenges and a love that will conquer all for his daughter.

Benny & Joon (saw this on another list or two)--Depp is terrific in the park scene.

The Muppet Movie--one we've never outgrown (the music is wonderful).

For the sci-fi in us--Paycheck, Bourne series and Star Wars:)

My daughters still like Napoleon Dynamite....

(Thanks for humoring me--love your thread!!)
Diane

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Welcome Diane! Don't need to be from this area to stop by, we welcome everyone! I agree with you about "I am Sam" Penn did a wonderful job. This also brought to mind another movie along that line....."Radio". Cuba Gooding Jr. did a magnificent job amd I cried my eyes out knowing it was a true story.

Hi Diane!

Welcome. You can stop by anytime. We always have the teapot on!!

I didn't know that Johnny Depp was in Benny & Joon. I hadn't seen that movie. I like the earlier Depp movies.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Johnny Depp was at his best in his early "little" movies, IMHO. I adored "What's Eating Gilbert Grape".

Every time I see an earlier Depp movie, I can't help but wonder where his eyeliner got off to. Although, in Sleepy Hollow I think he was wearing the liner.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jaspar, YES! You reminded me I LOVED The Breakfast Club, even have the soundtrack.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Diane - I also loved I Am Sam, and Dakota Fanning is such a cutie too.

Yes...Sean Penn & Dakota Fanning! They were so believable in I Am Sam. Unforgetable.

Radio...another we love!

If you haven't seen Benny & Joon, and you love early Depp, you owe it to yourself to see this one! You'll flip over the park scene! Of course we love the end, too;) Just an all-around feel good movie for everyone!

Thanks for letting me drop by!
Diane

You're welcome any time, Diane! Any snow there yet?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

I recently saw a very old film recently found "Odd Man Out" which has some of the best acting and directing I have ever seen.

Also, I am partial to Robert Duvall's very early movie, made from a Faulkner story "Tomorrow." I liked his "Tender Mercies" and "The Apostle" too. But in my mind "Tomorrow" is the best. And then there's "The Yearling!"

The made for tv film of Capote's short story "Christmas Memory" is a masterpiece too.

Love Duvall. Ever see The Great Santini?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Yes, he was great in that too!

I loved "Gandhi" too. It seemed as if it Ben Kingsley really was Gandhi.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Guess I should watch some of these movies instead of Bob the Builder! Eleanor
(If I can stay awake)

Bob the Builder has a catchy theme song ;)

Victorgardener, the mts. are supposed to be getting a frosting tonight. We were in the 70's, today with chinook winds so warm it surprised me when I walked outside! You can bet it'll be bringing cold (maybe 20 º) for tonight! Long answer for...no snow down in Denver yet but interesting weather, nonetheless!

I'm gonna have to rent, "Tomorrow."
Diane

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have my own chinooks, hee hee hee.

Hee, hee, hee...bet they're more localized???

Hooks, TX

My vote goes for 'The Bridges of Madison County' with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood - a sad love story, but included one of the most emotionally-charged scenes ever delivered on the silver screen when they were slow-dancing in the darkened kitchen. Clint should have received an Oscar for that line.

Louise

Never saw it but love it because it put the spotlight, posthumously unfortunately, on a truly great singer, Johnny Hartman.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

mtnmama~ They are localized.....right in front of the fireplace. Worst snow dogs you ever saw!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.