I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

It's technically not a movie - but I love the BBC's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. It's something like 6 hours - but it is so well done. There is a second Le Carre book that the BBC did - I forget the name - but I would like to get a copy of that one as well.

Edited to say the title is Smiley's People and I just bought it on Amazon. Cool.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2007 7:45 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

My list:

Lord of the Rings! It's got everything - hunky guys, great music, action, romance, special effects, great acting, fabulous staging, and good vs. evil.

My Fair Lady why? saw it when I was 9 and I understood that you COULD change your life - as long as you were willing to work hard and were prepared to walk away from your past.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I can hear you singing the MA version of "the Rain in Spain":

The cars we park go mainly in the dark

This message was edited Nov 11, 2007 9:59 PM

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Cute!

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL wicked haahd!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Isn't it:

"The cahs we pahk go mainly in the dahk" ?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

LOL

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

There is a great Forbidden B'way parody of the rain in spain from when Madonna was in Mamet's Speed the Plow on broadway called "I Strain in Vain to Train Madonna's Brain." If you are familiar with both Mamet's machinegun-like dialogue style and My Fair Lady, it is one of the funniest things EVER.
and now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of things people other than amy care about...

; )

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hard choices to make, but here are my top 12, in no special order:

The Godfather (I and II; The Godfather, part III just isn't in the same league)
Full Metal Jacket
The Usual Suspects
Bonnie and Clyde
Dog Day Afternoon
Sunset Boulevard
Stalag 17
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Fargo
Witness for the Prosecution
Gallipoli

My guilty pleasures are any Monty Python movie and chick flicks. I've seen Steel Magnolias, The Joy Luck Club, and The Virgin Suicides at least a dozen times each.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Zuzu, Hi! I like your list.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Completely agree about GF3, Zuzu.

(Zone 4a)

Sixth Sense has always stuck with me - I guess because I found it so emotional and surprising at the end. I remember when I found out the husband was actually dead I got this prickly feeling all over. I never forgot that!!

This is really heart touching. It is a 7 minute video. Micheal Israel is his name. If we could all get togather and do this but with flowers. Have your speakers on.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QZFkZiwMLZ4

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I hate to be a tattle-tale, but Dave's has zero tolerance for politics.

I am not sure what I did wrong. This artist will auction off his paintings and they range from 4-10 grand each. All the money is donated to Big Brother and Big Sister for kids.

If that is the case no tolerance where is the line. Not helping people?

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 2:57 PM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I only mention it b/c I've been "taken down" a few times. Maybe linking to a site is OK. I'm not sure where these polices are listed, but I found them after my last "take down" and heretofore am very careful. Whatever! ;0)

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

...ok!! Back to subject...how about this Bollywood style film "Monsoon Wedding"?
An early Denzel Washington, "Mississippi Masala".

Early Denzel - She's Got To Have It. Spike Lee at his best and Denzel is too hot, hot, hot!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Denzel was 'delicious' in MM too :-D

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Denzel is one of the reason's I loved "John Q."...anyone besides me seen it?

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes, Pixie, John Q's brilliant!! It questions our merciless health care system, doesn't it?
YankeeCat, are you sure, Denzel's in "She's Got To Have It"?

I thought he was - but it is not listed in his credits. I thought he was the other man playing opposite Spike Lee for Nola's "affections". I just googled it and I was wrong. Oh well - I still like Denzel!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

heavenscape, I was thinking exactly that, but didn't come out and say it. Your much braver than I ! LOL

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I just saw "Lars and the Real Girl" this w/e. I LOVED it!!!

I'm scared- I have seen NOTHING this year that is deserving of an Academy Award, and there's only a few weeks left to get movies out (is the deadline Jan. 1?) I hate it when they "have" to give out Oscars, but nothing is even of the caliber of past nominees for Best Picture, let alone an Oscar winner. They should wait until there are enough good pictures made! (Of course, the Academy will call ME and ask if I think it's time to vote!)

Has anyone seen anything Oscar-worthy in 2007? Who would you vote for if the Oscars were held tomorrow?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

For some really early Denzel, try to find Carbon Copy, a comedy in which he plays George Segal's illegitimate teenage son. That one's so old that I actually have it on Beta.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL...I earned that right Pixie!! Paid too much for my last surgery oop. I'm one of the millions uninsured.
Yeah YankeeCat, big fan of Denzel here, except when he's the bad boy!
Jaye

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I'd have to know what the nominee's they were going to put up but some of my personal favorites for 2007 are:
"Little Miss Sunshine", "Blood Diamonds","HappyFeet", "The Pursuit of Happyness" and "The Departed".

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Zuzu, thanks! I'll look for it.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Wasn't "The Depaaahhted" the winner last year?

I confuse it w/ "Gone, Baby, Gone", which was a good movie, but I didn't understand half of it. Who shot "Cheddar"? Why didn't he know he'd been robbed? Why on Earth would Cheddar have gone to a quarry at night- unless he was a geologist on the side? If you've figured out the plot, please D-mail me!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Alan Arkin won the supporting actor award for his role in "Little Miss Sunshine" last year, Pixie. The movie was nominated for several Oscars and may have won some others too.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

"Little Miss Sunshine" was my pick for "Best Picture", but it was nominated last year. I'm so glad it was at least in the running.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, Jax, "The Departed" did win for best movie last year, and Scorsese won the best director award for that movie.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Academy_Awards_USA/2007

That's why this year looks so glum.
All movie fans should "bookmark" the IMDB site!! Waaaay cool!!!! It cures the "who was the actor who played so-and-so?" disease.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Then im a year behind! LOL not surprising!

I think that I saw movies this year - - maybe you have a point there, Pixie.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

...I'm now reminded of "Borat"...OMG, my sides are still hurting. I understand perfectly if people didn't like it, but I just happen to have a really sick and twisted funny bone! I had to see it twice more b/c I didn't get the next joke b/c I was laughing from the one before it!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Jax, Usually 90% of the good movies come out in the last month. It's hard to win if your movie is 10 months old.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's a cool Youtube video showing clips with some of the best movie quotes ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sOGSD-j6UgI

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah Jax, it's interesting to read the postings left by members too! I always refer to IMDB for ratings b4 I purchase a DVD. Trying to get "La Mome", life story of Edith Piaf. My sister had seen it in Europe and said it's a gem of a tearjerker.
Any recommended tearjerkers?

edited to say...Jax, Borat's "strange"!!!!!!!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 4:40 PM

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

heavenscape, when it comes to pure female blubbering, see "End of the Affair"- sob!!!

Edited to say "I'm Strange!"

This message was edited Nov 12, 2007 4:41 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.