I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have some DVD's - including My my my Mitchell :), a lot on tape also.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Too many favorites to narrow down. In no particular order, The Spiral Staircase, Grease, The Grapes of Wrath, The Breakfast Club, Silent Movie, The Bad Seed, Airplane, Sound of Music, Witness........

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Anyone ever see a Cary Grant movie called People Will Talk? Way ahead of its time. Anyone in health care would certainly appreciate it, as would anyone else.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I haven't seen most of the movies mentioned here, where have I been?

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

My favorite movie is the psychological horror film "Closetland" co produced by Ron Howard.No blood, no gore.Scariest film I have ever seen!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Deb - The movies haven't made it that far west yet!! LOL Don't feel bad I haven't seen them either cause I don't watch too many anymore - I fall asleep after 5 minutes so I don't bother going to the movies or getting DVD's. Eleanor

Sounds good - my kind of horror. Ever see The Uninvited with Ray Milland?

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

One of my all time favorites which hasn't been mentioned yet is The Shawshank Redemption.

early_bloomer

Somebody did mention it above. Still haven't seen it!!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

The Uninvited was good but Ray Milland was some scary dude too! ie. Lost Weekend, Dial M for Murder.

... I almost forgot The Man with X-ray Eyes!

Great actor. Liked him in The Major and the Minor.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

My favorite film of the past year or 2 is "Pan's Labyrinth". EVERYONE should see it!!! It is incredible- esp. how it works on 2 levels; as a historic war movie with this surreal CG dream sequence throughout. It seemed to be billed more as a children's movie, but it isn't!!! Actually it's suspense, and visually stunning!!! It's about the only movie DH, DS and I agreed on.

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey VG; No I haven't seen that one but I have seen the 2006/UK one as well as the really creepy Korean one.Pan's Labyrinth was as Fabulous as Mirrormask.I was trying to stay within the perimeter of (One).
My other choice is the Trilogy-Koyaanisqatsi,Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi.The music score,by Phillip Glass is as mind blowing as the visuals.

Have to check out Pan. I loved Koyaanisqatsi when I saw it about 20 years ago. Was not aware of the others. Thanks.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Babette's Feast - OMG - I love that movie and make everyone watch it. I bought a dubbed version but went back to the original with subtitles. Black Orpheus - the original from the 60's got me interested in art films and is probably my all time favorite flick. I love (and have) all the Shaft Movies. Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Fargo and Kiss of the Spider Woman for more contemporary films. And then there are the Lone Wolf and Cub movies - Samurai humor at it's very best. Oh yeah - Dr. Zhivago - sigh. My temporary step-daughter watched Seven over and over again - she was a little bit scary. Also MIB - I think that Will Smith is a major talent.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Victor, Was Plan Nine..., an Ed Wood film? Which brings to mind the movie Ed Wood. I've really liked most everything Depp has been in.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No Cat's Eye or Cat People?

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Agree with the Mystery Science Theater 3000!!!
Ok- now don't laugh- I LOVE Mr Mom! Running a close race to that one would be the National Lampoons Summer Vacation- then the Christmas Vacation. Poor Sparky Griswold!

Fave old movie? Maybe The Long Long Trailer- with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

And let's not forget Mars Attacks! Hillarious!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nothing wrong with Mr. Mom. If you would have included European Vacation then I would have laughed.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

That one's not a favorite! LOL

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

No one has mentioned "Bambi Vs. Godzilla". Probably the most influential work of cinematic history.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Bambi VS Godzilla??!! That's a new one for me

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a bad dream, rather than a movie.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

One great understated thriller is Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman and Cindy Williams.

edited to include this greeting: Have a Nice Sunday!

This message was edited Nov 11, 2007 7:17 AM

Yes Dave - Ed Wood. Heaven - I have The Conversation on dvd - very good movie.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

AYC, absolutely agree about Will Smith. MIB, Independence Day, Bad Boys, Pursuit of Happyness...

Al, now who wouldn't love European Vacation? If you could sit thru it, it had one very funny running gag and a couple of really good lines (Big Ben, Parliament!)

somebody mentioned Dr Zhivago... how could I have forgotten it?

Ben Hur

The Sixth Sense, and while I'm thinking Bruce Willis, I love The Whole Nine Yards and Hudson Hawk, the first 2 Die Hards

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I have to agree that Independence Day and the first MIB are about some of the best movies made. Independence Day where he's dragging the alien through the desert-LOL -and in the alien mother spacecraft downloading the virus? Great team-Jeff Goldblum & Will Smith-perfect!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I love a good thriller, but my all time favorite movie is Arthur. Dudley Moore and Sir John Gielgud were such a pair.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

War of the Worlds, the original of course

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Sixth Sense' had the same kind of twists as 'Primal Fear' and it ranked in the top 50's of my "300 List". LOL
I had forgotten all about 'Dr. Zhivago', it was one of my Mom's favorites along with 'Gone with The Wind', another classic.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

LOL, I was waiting for someone to mention The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

The Birdcage is a movie I can - and do! - watch over and over again. Have never seen the original La Cage aux Folles, though. Have often heard it is better. I'll have to check it out.

Glory is a good movie too. Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman are wonderful in it.

I'm beginning to realize my list may be never-ending, lol!

Peter Cushing and Chistopher Lee in the Dracula movies!

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

goodness gracious... this is very visited thread...

another movie I love "Out of Africa" - great photography

and even if I don't believe in reencarnation " What dreams may come" with Robin Williams was very touching... loved the photography too... really pretty...

and in my youth I loved "Lost Horizon" eternal youth and eternal spring!

and Dave I am with you the new Hairspray is really nice... I felt like singing and dancing after we left the theather... I took Victor and Alec to see it... they loved it! Victor loves to sing and dance... unfortunatly his favorite thing is High School musical...

Didn't see the Hairspray remake but the original was great.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

It's very different., Victor. A real musical, maybe more adorable than John Waters would want. But it's definitely one of my few multiple repeat viewing movies.

Midnight Run (DeNiro & Grodin) was very funny. Talking about funny, early Woody Allen is hard to beat (Play it Again Sam, Annie Hall) And Mel Brooks, too

Digger, I loved Glory too. Now that I'm straightened out on Das Boot, I like all your choices! La Cage Aux Folles was great. Even though I love Nathan & Robin, I couldn't see all the fuss over the new one.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

For newer musicals....I loved 'Rent'.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

wow - someone else admits to loving Hudson Hawk?! No way!
When i was a teenager-ish person, we used to quote so many lines from that movie, particularly, "But I DO love you, in a weird sort of Catholic way." (i should say, i experienced the full 12 years of Catholic school, so that was just brilliant.)
Love Sandra Bernhard and Richard E. Grant.
And David Caruso pre-NYPD Blue as one of the spies - was he Butterfinger? or Reese's?
ah, memories.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey, how did I miss that someone mentioned Hudson Hawk? I forgot about that movie. I love it! I watch it whenever it's on TV (not very often). I could never figure out why it was panned so much. It's really quite a fun movie... except that I always end up singing that stupid "Swinging on a star..." song!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Little Lulu's song?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.