I'm curious, what's your favorite movie and why?

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Candyce, I recently rented Sleepy Hollow and actually enjoyed it. I don't like horror movies, but this reminded me more of an M. Night Shamalan movie. I've discovered that I like Johnny Depp movies because he plays such interesting roles - there are many I haven't seen still.

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Went to see the real bridges in Madison County (Iowa--birthplace of John Wayne, actually) because I enjoyed the movie. The locals love visitors and the bridges are well preserved. Not so romantic as the forbidden love in the movie, though. There is still a guy with souvenirs living near the prettiest bridge...but he's no Clint Eastwood. Still, worth a visit!

The family enjoyed Sleepy Hollow, too. I liked Chocolat better, myself....

The dog-days of autumn are filled with little aromatic chinooks in Maine, huh, Pixie?? The good thing about a fireplace is that the fire can burn that extra bit of methane! chuckle;) Snow dogs! Gotta love 'em!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

The movie (Bridges) is soooo much better than the book! Anyone see Whale Rider a couple of years ago? I thought that was good.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Sounds like we are all making our lists for wintertime movie rentals. Won't Blockbuster be happy with DG?

Denver Metro Area, CO(Zone 5a)

Loved Whale Rider!

How about Train Spotting? That was fun.

Edited to change the name of the movie to (hopefully) get it correct this time.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2007 3:27 PM

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Oh another one that I like is Dolores Clairborne.(hope I spelled that right!) And I love Benny & Joon!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Whoever hasn't seen the Shawshank Redemption and/or the Green Mile, please do so very soon - they're both good, excellent and I think they maybe use the same set so I get them confused.

Have we mentioned yet The Court Jester? My father used to rent the 35mm every year at Christmas so we'd have something to do at 'Daddy's house' AFTER we finished the Real Christmas with Mom.

Yes to Monty Python, but I think I OD'd in high school and some of them are even doing other things now! They were certainly innovative!

I got in Big Bad Trouble with my XH for showing the kids (then, they were 13 and 16) R-rated Little Miss Sunshine. I like Superstar, just because of Glynis Johns.

We watched part of the Wizard of Oz along with you guys - but ewe were in Aruba, trying to drown out the noise of the wedding that was partying all night at our hotel!!

x, C

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

With this writers' strike, we all get to catch up one our movies!!! I've seen "Benny & Joon" a thousand times- it's great. Those of you who like it, go and buy (you'll want to own it) "Gilbert Grape".

I bought "Dilores Claiborne", too. I love Kathy Bates. How about "Fried Green Tomatoes"??? One of my all time favs. "It's hawg boilin' time!"

Any one seen Blue Skies with Tommy Lee Jones? It's at least 10 years old - but I thought it was great.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

o my goodness - can't believe i left out Court Jester!
"the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true."
DH and i had a few of his students over for thanksgving last year, and we showed that. when it started, you could tell they were all like "What booorring thing is amy making us watch..?" But they loved it - we had to rewind parts to watch again. One of them told me last week they were showing it to some other guys at their apartment. (so i guess i know cool things sometimes!)

Whale Rider is great, so is the book it is based on, though it has a very different feel. For my Cross Cultural Literature class last year, i studied Maori writing in contemporary NZ, and that is one of the books i used.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Candyce, have you heard about Johnny Depp's new movie coming out - Sweeney Todd? I'm not sure I want to see that one.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

And Snape from Harry Potter will be in it as well. Depp has a great knack for picking perfect roles.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Ah, Snape... my hero! If I could only get a man that looks exactly like Johnny Depp with a voice like Snape's, I'd be happy!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Out of Johnny Depp's movies- I've got to say 'Pirates" are the best to me! Love those

I liked 1 and 2 a lot. 3 - not so much.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

Sweeney Todd is one of my favourite musicals. i *hope* they right by it as a movie. No one will ever be able to sing it like Len Cariou in the original, though. (But i'd sure have liked to see the one at Kennedy Center a few years back with Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski! DH was doing another show there at the time (before he was my D anything) and DIDN'T go to see it.
sigh.
and now, back to our regularly scheduled movie thread.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

IMHO, the older movies are much better than the 'new' movies. Not so much the old silents, but perhaps the black and whites and early color where plots and acting took sway over the garish horror, gore, rampant sex/foul language and special effects of today. I have many many favorites, but the one which is always foremost in my mind as a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable movie is Cyrano de Bergerac starring Jose Ferrer and Mala Powers.1950

This message was edited Nov 14, 2007 7:52 PM

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

neat-o!
how do you edit a message 3 hours earlier than it was posted?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

The posting time was shown in your time, Amy, and the editing time is in his time. Three-hour time difference between Washington and New York. I'm posting this at 8:43, but it'll show 11:43 on your computer.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I love Cyrano in any form!

Welcome out of towners. Diane,I made a trip to So. Carolina because of all of Pat Conroy's books, including the Great Santini, the Water is wide, Prince of Tides and The Lords of Discipline.

I'll reinforce Gilbert Grape, But I was even more amazed by the little kid, what was his name...Leonardo DiCapprio.

I thnk As Good as it Gets deserves mention here.

Favorite movie trivia: Who played Bo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Robert Duvall, one of my favorite actors.

Bo Radley? I guess I'll go watch the movie.

No, I didn't know that Depp was making another movie. I'll be on the look out for that.

Duvall's first, if I'm not mistaken. He is a great actor.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh my my Dave47...yes, I can watch As Good As It Gets multiple times!
Haven't seen the original Cyrano de Bergerac, but this was also the film that launched Gerard Depardieu's international career.
Robert Duvall played Bo Radley! ( I cheated, went to IMDB) TKAM was a required viewing when I was in secondary school in Singapore.
DH and I watched Ocean 13 and Shrek 3. Guess which is the better one? Shrek of course!
Amethystsym, I purchased La Vie En Rose at the local WM. That's surprising, considering this is a one mule town!
Love this forum. Got ideas on what to watch next!

Oceans 13, Shrek 3 - is that a sports score??

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL Victor!! Wait till you see their cheerleaders!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That is funny! Football haltime ,score I think.

You guys were quick on Duval. Did anyone know w/o the internet?

Candyce, Bo was the neighbor that was not seen until the end. The kids all had scary stories about him but it was all myth.

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave, LOL about Leo. He did such an amazing job playing a mentally challenged person that I have a hard time accepting in other roles!

For those of you who are not put off by "racy" content, "The Door In The Floor" is terrific. I love Jeff Bridges- "Starman" was another of his great pictures.

Speaking of "Starman", "Phenomenon" w/ Travolta was awesome!!! Talk about tearjerkers....!!!! I cry like an idiot every time I see the ending!!!!

Speaking of John Travolta, "Pulp Fiction" is an all time great, as well!!!! Everyone should see it; I loved the way it was presented in "chapters". Oops, it DOES have it's um, more adult scenes as well, be advised. I can't even quote my favorite line- the one about the blow torch and a pair of pliers. I think it must be in IMDB "quotes".

Dave - I did know.

I liked 'Frequency', too. Especially the song that played while the closing credits were running.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have the dubious pleasure of watching movies over and over with my girls - less so, now that they are old enough to go to the movies alone (if they have a ride). Better than TV.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, here's one that is definitely Mel Brooks' best..."Blazing Saddles". Hadn't seen it for decades, and it was showing on cable tonight. To some, it's not a politically correct movie, but it's great entertainment.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm I was gonna say Blazing Saddles before, but decided it had too many fart jokes. I'm re-reading Lonesome Dove, in which one of the main characters is a sheriff, and I keep picturing him as black, which he's not! I mostly adore Gene Wilder, whom we notice is a recurring theme. (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Willy Wonka)

And has anyone mentioned The Producers yet? So bad it was a success!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Cyrano de Bergerac, did anyone see Steve Martin's version of this in Roxanne? I haven't seen it years but I remember it being a good one.
edited to add more about Steve Martin....
ok, I've been a fan of Steve Martin since I saw him on SNL in the seventies(my brother and I would sneak out into the living room after my parents went to bed so we could watch it)
There are two more comedies he has done that I have really enjoyed, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and My Blue Heaven.
A Simple Twist of Fate was a good movie in which the audience got to see a serious side to Steve Martin.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2007 10:06 PM

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Ah, yes, Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels was a fun movie! I think it's a Broadway play now too.

Here's a good Steve Martin (& John Candy) movie - Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. Another fun one!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Great movie for any holiday travelers!! Keep your car rental agreement and never leave your wallet in the glove box. You never know when the car may just go up in flames!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Been off line a while and missed some fun threads. Here are some of mine in no particular order.
Arsenic and Old Lace
Rear Window, actually pretty much any Hitchcock movie
Star Wars, the first three
Pride and Prejudice
Jaws
It's A Wonderful Life
Braveheart
One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest
Shawshank Redemption

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

We forgot "Tootsie"!

ngam, I forgot "Jaws"- what a classic. I loved Richard Dreyfus.

I loved Bruce from Jaws!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.