November Daily Weather, Time for a garden nap.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

This is the mildest fall I personally czn remember since I left El Paso 30 years ago.
Last week I sent jcangemi a Birthday wish. She was one of the 'starters' of this continuous thread here. She replied that she was pleased the long growing season was over.
I ask if she "grew for a living"?
This is her reply

Quoting:
I'm co-chair of a 2.5 acre demonstration garden for UC system Master Gardener program in Fresno County. That entails coordinating all areas of the garden which includes 2 very large areas of drought-tolerant perennials, an orchard, vineyard, berry patch incl blueberries, summer tomato patch w/60+ varieties, composting program for entire garden, an AAS demo garden (one of three in the central valley), a cut-flower garden, lawn demonstration, a no-barriers garden for the physically challenged, a children's garden, and my section which I totally take care of: 25 raised beds of veggies, year round. That's some of the growing parts of the garden. Add meetings, shopping, stocking, and other aspects of the program, and I was extra busy this year. We graduated 80 new MG's in April and I was one of the mentors for a team of 5. That has kept me hopping and officially ends Nov. 1. I also teach some classes for MG program and co-chaired a large fundraiser event in the garden in September. With my daughter's baby and some attendant problems in February and my Mom in the hospital for 3 weeks in July, 2 construction projects I'm involved in, and an adult ed class twice a week for cabinet making, hubby, aging parents of both of us, go-to person for several people, . . . . .you see why I'm not posting. But, I see daylight at the end of the tunnel. I lurk, just don't jump in, as I end up spending too much time at it, as I enjoy the camaraderie and love the global aspect, especially on the weather thread. See you there soon. Janet

Now that's busy!!!
Here in Jax;
73.2 °F / 22.9 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 °F / 23 °C

Please come by with your pictures and family musings. I may not personally comment, but I feel like this is a garden fence we all talk over.
Big Hug to all,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

61°(F)< Bright blu Skies

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 50%
Wind: 0° (N) at 7mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.15in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 34°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 69°F
Dew Point: 44°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 63°
Wind Chill: 63°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 43°F
6hr High Temp: 50°F

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nicely cool this morning. They are calling for Santa Ana winds on Saturday. :-( I don't know how much more our mimosa tree can take. It has some serious cracks in it. It's our only real shade tree so I'd hate to lose it, but maybe then DH will get me a persimmon tree. I would really like an Empire apple tree, but I don't think it's cold enough here for that variety.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on November 01, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
57 °F / 14 °C
Clear
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: Calm

Sharon, I don't know what that thing is in the river. My guess is that it is the remains of a lock. Also, I am surprised that you have trouble growing roses. Maybe the humidity is the problem. Here, I think they would grow wild if they could get enough water. Oddly enough, I have never seen a rosebush at an abandonned homesite, but maybe they can't survive wildfires.

I think Gallatin had three or four children so I don't know why so big a house. Later owners added on behind what you saw in the photo so the house is at least 50% bigger than in looks in that facade. This is one picture from inside the house. I think the fireplace was one that Gallatin brought from Paris. I don't know who that is in the painting. The furniture does not belong to the house and is not from the Gallatin time period. It is Robert E. Lee's furniture and is being stored here while his house is being refurbished. (Apparently Friendship Hill normally does not have any of its own furniture to display.) I don't know how Roberty E. Lee would feel about his furniture being north of the Mason-Dixon Line but it is saving the government a good deal of money to keep the furniture here rather than put it in storage.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I don't know how Robert E. Lee would feel about his furniture being north of the Mason-Dixon Line but it is saving the government a good deal of money to keep the furniture here rather than put it in storage.

LOLOL, Kelli!!!

It was a very common practice, back when there were servants enough to keep things running smoothly, to have lots of company in and out all of the time for extended weekend parties. People who had enough money to be socially active in a hoity-toity sort of way, had BIG houses with lots of bedrooms in which to house many people at any given time. That pretty much petered out after the Depression and WWII. I don't know if people didn't have the time/money after that, or if it was just too hard/no longer acceptable to keep servants, but at any rate, the social structure changed immensely after WWII.

(Zone 3b)

Sugarweed - love the quote from Janet; seems the old saying of "ask a busy person to do something, and it will get done", would apply. What a wonderful person to know. The photo is just beautiful.
Marylyn~interesting info and sure would make sense.
kelli~ I've enjoyed your visit back east and the different places you visited. Very nice. Hope the winds won't be as bad as while you were gone. Take care.
Dyson~not dark here, but gray again, brighter than dim though. The 61 and blue skies sounds ideal.
38* gray, sunrise 9:28 sunset 5:56
5:42 sunset yesterday; from the deck.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon :-)

It's raining hard and windy - there's another storm coming through tonight. Currently it's 37°F, 24 mph winds from the east gusting to 40 mph.

Kelli - Halloween isn't observed here in Iceland. Great photos from your Pennsylvania trip :-)

Sharon - I went to the store looking for pumpkins but they were out - it's something you don't normally find here - I think I saw them for the first time for sale last year. So I had to get creative to make a 'Jack-o-lantern' ;-) There's no trick or treating here.

marsue - thanks :-) The girls look very pleased with their new hats - very pretty :-)

Wow Kiska - gorgeous photo :-)

What I brought back with me from the time I lived in the US is making caramel apples for Halloween. Selma Rún's class had a Halloween party in their English class - they were the only class in the school that got to have a Halloween party. They thought that was very cool ;-) Because Selma got to bring a costume to school - Hildur Eva got all excited about Halloween too and thought it was terribly unfair that she couldn't also wear a costume to school. lol So they put on their costumes when we got home last night and we made caramel apples for desert and lit our 'Jack-o-lantern' in the kitchen window. That was about it for our Halloween.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

64°(F), darkening.

Have a good eve all.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Total dark - almost Dyson Dark, but the evening dark has a different texture - you know it won't get lighter.
Currently 55 deg. A grey day lightening to brilliant sunshine this afternoon and working outside weather. At this rate I will be done BEFORE it snows.

It is a witchin' time of the year - so watch out!! Think I'll rev up the ole broom and go for a spin. LOL

Come on by and pick me up!!!
;)

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – What an amazing picture to begin the new thread! That’s beautiful!
Kelli – I hope your Mimosa makes it. They are such glorious trees. I know I don’t need it, but I want the fireplace….BAD!
Kiska – Beautiful sunset!
Rann –There’s no trick or treating much here either. It’s a very disappointing reality now. Great Jack-o-Lantern!

72.0 °F / 22.2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 65 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 10.5 mph / 16.9 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 °F / 23 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16

High surf advisory in effect until 5 PM EDT Friday...
Coastal Flood Watch in effect through Friday afternoon...
Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am to 8 PM EDT Friday...
Rest of Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers early in the evening. Lows in the lower 60s inland...in the mid 60s coast. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold in the mornings and decent during the day. Our thermometer said 20 something this morning. It felt like it too.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Brrr, pepper!!!

Yep!!! lol

Watch it Pepper, don't jinx us.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark, 45°(F)

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 70%
Wind: 0° (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.24in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 43°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 70°F
Dew Point: 33°
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 42°
Wind Chill: 42°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 43°F
6hr High Temp: 55°F

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Thanks Sharon - can you guess what it's made of ? ;-) lol

Pepper - stay warm! 20°F ?? Brrrrrrr!

It was windy and wet last night, less wind this morning, 13 mph gusting to 26 mph. It's warmed up to 44°F and it's raining.

Here's a photo of the girls in their costumes :-) Hildur Eva was a tarantula ;-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Pepper - I 3rd that Brrr! LOL!!
Rann - If it's not a pumpkin then it's a darn good imitation! What is it made of? The girls look adorable in their costumes!

It's really nice outside right now! I truly hope the weather stays like this through Thanksgiving. It would be nice to have a cool one for a change.

66.6 °F / 19.2 °C
Clear
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Steady)

High surf advisory until 5 PM this afternoon...
Coastal Flood Watch through this afternoon...
Lake Wind Advisory until 8 PM this evening...

Today
Mostly sunny and windy. High 73. North winds 20 mph and gusty.

Taken yesterday at lunch. Is that blue in the sky? It's been so long I thought I had started seeing everything in black, white and shades of gray!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Mornin! The weather is like Dyson's, only a little chillier w/ 38°.

I hate that I've missed Halloween w/ you all, but we've been doing punkins & such.

Great pics, everybody! There's been so much variety! :D
Sidney, such a beautiful start to the thread! :D
Kiska, Love that sunset! :-O
Dyson, Glad to know that it was Dark at your house! (can't imagine it being anything else)
Rann, Precious girls! Love the costumes! Did you make them?
Sharon, Glad the sky is clearing up for you all...I was worried there for a little bit w/ Noel.
Pepper...are you getting the "Big Chill"? Sounds a little early! Is it?
Kelli, that house is Huge! You're always teaching me some sort of history! :D THanks! :D

Here's some trivia...
In the continental United States, what time of day could you *not* see a rainbow on the horizon?
a) Just after sunrise
b) Around noon
c) Late in the afternoon
d) Right around sunset

Have a Good Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh! Here's a JW update! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Joey, I'm gonna say B and awwwwwwww... He's adorable. :-) The pumpkin and mum display is gorgeous!!

Rann, is that an orange or grapefruit? You did a great job!! And your girls are sooo cute in their costumes!

Well, our humidity is definitely back, and it is getting back up into the 80s during the day. We'll have another chilly front come through next week and the highs will only be in the 60s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (60 min ago)
Temperature 57 °F 14 °C
Dew Point 54 °F 12 °C
Humidity 89%
Pressure 30.12 in 1019.9 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 54.0°F / 12.2°C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 63.0°F / 17.2°C

(Zone 5a)

Sharon and Marylyn, thanks - it's a honey dew melon ;-) lol Doesn't last as long as a pumpkin would have but it did the job.

Thanks Joey - I didn't make the costumes - that honor goes to my mom. The tarantula costume was made according to my nephews specifications - so he's the author of that one although mom did all the sewing. I think he was 5 when she made it. JW is so precious! :-)

Brisk this morning (our version of brisk) but it will warm up later.

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on November 02, 2007
55 °F / 13 °C
Clear
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C

Joey - Thatnks for the JW fix! He is darling! I'm going with B too. Love the display!
Rann - A honeydew? Wow - it's great!
Kelli - That is brisk for you! That would be brisk for me too! LOL!!

67.8 °F / 19.9 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 11.6 mph / 18.7 km/h / 9.8 m/s
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1900 ft / 579 m

We're back to cloudy and a tad foggy, but the temp is so nice! I'm looking forward to playing in the dirt this weekend!

Going back to January - tired of the gray!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sharon, you'll notice that our nights get a lot cooler than yours. It rarely freezes but routinely gets down into the 50s a lot of the year and into the 30s and 40s at night in the winter. They say that gives CA citrus a more complex but less sweet flavor than FL citrus. A few varieties of apples can be grown here. Does anyone grow apples in FL?

(Zone 3b)

32*/snowing - Sunrise will be in half/hour at 9:31 but will be a no-show due to the heavy cloud/snow. loss of 5m 53s daylight today.
m2k~ what nice display; love seeing the mums, too. (used gold/bronze mums as colors @ our wedding; way back:)) JW "our" sweetie, so precious.
kelli~glad to see there's no wind yet; hopefully it will stay that way awhile. Hope you enjoy the cool weather; have a fireplace?
MySharona - love the looks of January; what a peaceful pic. The sea gulls add to the scene.
rann- your mom did a great job as did your nephew for thinking it up. Very cute.
Today is much like this from Jan.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

We have a fireplace but we hardly ever use it. Unless it is rainy, it doesn't stay cool all day.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

My internet service was down for a while so I am behind on my DGing! I won't try to scroll up to see what's been happening--it would take too long for me to catch up. Just wanted to check in and say it's another beautiful day in the neighborhood where I am. DH has been busy gathering moss covered rocks from some property we own in another county. I 'll post a picture to show you what he has done with them. We are working on a lasagna bed to have ready for planting in the spring.

Here's the weather for our area:

Current conditions as of 12:55 pm CDT

Partly Cloudy
Feels Like: 63°
Barometer: 30.24 in and falling
Humidity: 30%
Visibility: 7 mi
Dewpoint: 30°
Sunrise: 7:30 am
Sunset: 6:13 pm

BTW, Rann, I did take time to look at your little tarantula--she is the cutest spider I have ever seen! Both of your girls are precious.
Joey, JW is precious, too!
Everybody have a great day!

This message was edited Nov 2, 2007 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

Marsue - thanks ;-) Love the looks of that new bed!

Sharon - thanks - I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I've wanted to make one of those "lanterns" for years but always thought I needed a pumpkin ;-) lol

Kiska - brrrrrr! I see the snow's back. Thanks :-)

It's 43°F, stopped raining and been dark for over an hour ......

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

58°(F), totally bright blu skies...
no kneed to report farther.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

There is WV tourism?

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Joey,thanks for the picture,little JW is so sweet! Love your ornaments!
Sharon, wonderful sky,though grey!
Rann, how cute are the girls!
Kiska,oh, no,already like January? They forecasted snow on Tuesday in Bucharest, grrrrrr!
Meanwhile, it was Dyson dark here too,just a few rays of sun,especially at sunset.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Yous'e folks really know how to show me my place, now I am going to have to figure out how to run this camera - sheese like I did not have enough on the plate.

about 55° - thats all your gett'in (like you need more information).

See? It warmed up a good bit.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on November 02, 2007
81 °F / 27 °C
Clear
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C

A Wind Advisory remains in effect from 9 PM this evening to 2 PM PDT
Saturday.

Areas of northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to near 40 mph
will develop between midnight and sunrise Saturday before
diminishing Saturday afternoon. In addition... the winds may
create local blowing dust and ash in vicinity of the recent burn
areas... with visibilities reduced at times. The strongest winds
will be over the eastern Ventura County and western Los Angeles
County valleys.

... Red flag warning remains in effect from 10 PM PDT this evening to
8 PM PST Sunday for the San Fernando Valley due to gusty north to
northeast winds and low humidities...

A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are
either occurring now... or will shortly. A combination of strong
winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures will create
explosive fire growth potential. Please advise the appropriate
officials or fire crews in the field of this red flag warning.

DH cut away part of the mimosa tree yesterday. It looks kind of awful but should look better in the spring after it leafs out again.

Thumbnail by Kelli

This is the crack in the trunk. The tree leans. It has always leaned. It it also completely hollow.

Thumbnail by Kelli

And to end on a cheerful note, here are some of my squashes as Thankgiving decorations.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It got dark again :( Neat pumpkin pic though.

Kelli – I’ve only heard of one apple farm in Lake City, but I don’t know if it has produced anything. Awww – your poor Mimosa. They’ve always been a favorite of mine. The scent of the blooms (to me) is kind of similar to the scent of the Mandevilla.Love the pumpkin/gourd/corn display!
Kiska – Snow!! BRRRRRR!
Marsue – I love the way the garden looks. Keep us posted on the progress.
Joey – Thanks for the link
Dyson – Hysterical!!
Adina – Beautiful sunset!

67.8 °F / 19.9 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Overcast 4500 ft / 1371 m

High surf advisory in effect until 10 am EDT Saturday...

Rest of Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Cooler. Lows in the lower 50s. North winds 10 to 15 mph near the coast and 5 mph inland.

Not the best picture, but sunset on the way home

This message was edited Nov 3, 2007 8:26 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Today was nice. 60s. Will be in the 40s tonight. Later next week we will be back in the 20s for lows and 40s for high. Found my winter clothes and got them out and ready.

Sunset at work a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Evening All!
The temp is cooling off a bit. It's down to 41°, but we're to get down to 30°.

Yes Dyson...there is tourism! :D (you rascal!) The governor wanted to have our state logo to say "Open for Business", (makes us sound desperate) and changed it to that, but the populace voted to have it stay "Wild and Wonderful"...Tourism is the best business in the state. "No kneed to report..." LOL!
Thanks Marsue, You have a nice looking bed there! :D
Thanks Adina! That's a Great looking sunset pic! Between you & Sharon, I don't have to take any! :D
Kelli, Sorry about your Mimosa...I hope that it survives. I know around here it wouldn't. I think that they are gorgeous & anything that attracts hummers is #1 in my book! :D Your Pa. shots are absolutely Great! I think I know what those "pillars" are in the river. We have some here...they are old pillars that held the rail road tracks. I certainly hope that you don't get any more fires! :-O
Thanks Kiska! I guess I could share the little "critter" w/ ya! :D And your shot from January looks Great! I'm ready for the "white stuff"! :D
Thanks Sharon, Your shot from January looks Marvelous as well! It's so neat seeing both ends of the spectrum! :D And you're welcome for the "fix"! :D
Rann, Thanks. Your mom did a Great job on the costumes! :D So Cute!
Marylyn, Thanks! :D

The answer to the trivia is....B
Too see a rainbow, your back needs to be to the sun, and the sun needs to be low in the sky.

The color is about gone...

Good Nite All! :D
Joey

The

Thumbnail by music2keep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.