November Daily Weather, Time for a garden nap.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Kiska - What will we replace the floss silk tree with? At this point, probably nothing. The stump is still there and there is not place to put anything to any side of it.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on November 10, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
67 °F / 19 °C
Clear
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 47 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE

We went to a cactus and succulent show at the Arboretum. Here a some pictures.

starfish flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

I think these are all dykia (and I don't know if I spelled that correctly).

Thumbnail by Kelli

general landscape view

Thumbnail by Kelli
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Adina - Nice looking tiles! Good job!

We went to dinner at Sliders then took Prissy to the Marina. She loves to "go" anywhere! I can't pick a favorite picture. So y'all can do it for me! LOL!

62.8 °F / 17.1 °C
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 43 °F / 6 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.5 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy this evening...then mostly clear. Lows mid 40s inland...in the lower 50s coast. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

There were a bunch of people flying kites at Sliders. Here's a picture of quite a few!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rose garden

Thumbnail by Kelli

a bunch of geese - A lot of geese and wood ducks spend the winter here.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli - I love the starfish flower! Great pics!

Here's one sunset

Thumbnail by MySharona

These 2 seagulls were fussing at each other

Thumbnail by MySharona

Another sunset

Thumbnail by MySharona

another!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Jeff & Prissy

Thumbnail by MySharona

Bretts Cafe

This message was edited Nov 10, 2007 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

As we were leaving - one last picture

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelli, like the starfish flower. I used to have a collection of stapiloids (sp?) Beautiful flowers but some of them smelled really bad.ugh!

the rain has stopped and we are in for 2 or 3 days of temps in the 50-60's. I need to put compost around the clematis vines.
Currently 40 deg, no wind or rain.

(Zone 3b)

Dark, snowing heavily at last; but still up to 31*. It's going to be another wet, heavy snowfall.
kelli~ seems you'll be doing some landscaping around the stump. I really enjoyed visit to the aboratorium; just beautiful.
adina~the tiles look great; how nice it must be to able to choose exactly what you want for your rooms.
MySharona~you've really put us to the test~~so many gorgeous photos, and, it's nice seeing Jeff and look forward to meeting you both next summer. Lucky little Prissy, too.
Today's surprise visitor; there were two, only one posed, very briefly. It was just beginning to snow at 2pm when this was taken.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High 50s today, mostly sunny til late afternoon. Light wind til almost dark then it picked up. Still not bad out.

A bit of fall color at work. Pic taken one early morning and I am facing north. I was in my golf cart headed to the Chapel.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kiska - Your moose are back! Prissy had a grand time sniffing everything on the dock. She's so cute. We look forward to meeting you as well. I'm very excited about the trip this summer!
Pepper - Great picture! It's nice to see all the colors. We only get green, yellow and brown (once in a while I'll run across some reds).

61.7 °F / 16.5 °C - Feels cooler than 61*
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs around 70. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The porch thermometer show 57*.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! We have another monster frost this morning. It looks like snow in my neighbors yard!

27°F
Feels like: 27°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 27°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 3 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:58 AM
Sunset: 5:15 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Adina, You have picked some great looking tiles & indoor siding for your new house! :D I really can't wait to see it finished! :D
Kelli! Great Pics! Love them all. I was thinking that after your stump dies...you could plant some succulents in the stump! They would be most happy there! :D
Kiska, An adult moose! :D Is the baby still around?
Sharon! You've done it again! Great Shots and I saved 2 of them for a desk top, but I haven't figured out how to get JW off! LOL!
Pepper, You Do have some color coming! Hope you get somemore so you can share! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...C!!! :D
These have been filmed by space shuttle crews and sometimes are captured by satellites. No scientific names here!

Have a Great Veterans day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Extremely bright blu skies, 36°

Sue wants to go out for breakfast this morning, & since it is too cold to do anything else.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 85%
Wind: 310° (NW) at 3mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.36in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 35°F
Yesterday's High Temp: 51°F
Dew Point: 28°
Visibility: 6mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 32°
Wind Chill: 32°
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 29°F
6hr High Temp: 36°F

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It certainly is hard to catch up when you have been away for 3 days! I'll just say "Great photos everyone!"
Update on MIL: Nothing major--no tumor or ulcer but several little problems. She does have a hiatal hernia, which we already knew. They won't do anything about it given her age--81. Also, the opening from her esophagus into her stomach is smaller than normal so she has to cut her food into small pieces and chew it thoroughly. She is also anemic, possibly caused by AVM's in the stomach. (Too technical to explain). She will continue on RX iron tablests plus B12 shots weekly. The doc did do a biopsy on the lining of MIL's stomach because it was red-looking all around (He showed us photos--amazing what they can see with that tiny camera!) We'll have the results when we take her back on the 26th. As the doc said, nothing major, just several "little" things. She is also to continue on Nexium. I've probably given you all more info than you wanted--LOL! Thanks for the prayers on MIL's behalf.

Here's the forecast for our area for today:

Today: A few showers early, followed by isolated thunderstorms during the afternoon. High near 75F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Tonight: Partly cloudy early with increasing clouds overnight. Slight chance of a shower through the evening. Low 59F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Everybody, have a great day!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dyson said..

Quoting:
Sue wants to go out for breakfast this morning, & since it is too cold to do anything else.

There in a nutshell, is why I always gain weight over the winter! LOL!

44F and very bright and dry.
hi today, a lovely 65.
No frost or freeze on tap for the upcoming week (no rain either).
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well it looks like Sharon, Deb, and me are all under the same weather dome. It didn't get very cold here, Not going to hit 70 supposedly.
I do have a few plants that are subject to "wind chill" as they are on the street and in a long tunnel of wind.
However many are in "micro-climates" around the house.

I am loving all the pictures here. I have to look at them everyone before I start my reply as I loose it otherwise.

Rann, I stepped through an old back porch floor about 3 years ago. I was so thankful I didn't break my foot that I didn't realize I'd really hurt my shoulder. Thankfully it has fully recovered. I have noticed with the time and the heavy work I have done the last 29 years that I don't spring back near as fast. Hopefully your hip will come around quickly.
66.9 °F / 19.4 °C
Clear
Dew Point: 47 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
I did derive that my heat should be set at 24ºC to be just right from my Canadian climate engineering machine. LOL
No freezes, a few yellow leaves.

Kiska, The Quilt show inspired me and 10" squares of hand dyed were $8.
I am having better luck on ebay. I have been collecting fabrics for the last 10 years from every where just saving for retirement. My middle room is entirely for fabric and craft supplies. I am going to be washing and drying some everyday through the winter.
30 years ago almost to the date I did about 20 Batiks. I have also ebay purchased dyes that I was familiar with so I can do some of those.
Have a wonderful Fall day
;)

(Zone 3b)

7am, 29*, dark, however, the snow is doing well at reflecting any light so it's very pretty, sunrise:8:55 set: 4:30.
After dinner, it was just me and 6 yr. GD, so I went outside and scooped up a bowlful of snow, brought it back and topped it w/choc syrup, cinnamon sugar and whipped cream; I wish you could have seen her look at me as if I was top chef. That bowl of snow made us both very happy.
sugarweed; With the years of collecting, bet you can hardly wait till retirement to dig into the fabric and start creating. Certainly sounds like an awesome collection. Batik is so intriguing and pleasing to look at.
marsue~glad all went well, more or less, and hope the other results will be fine, too.
Deb~looks like a good day going on weatherwise. Seeing the group of gorgeous orange leaves amongst the green, is very pretty.
Dyson~breakfast out is a good thing :) Blue skies are equally good.
pepper~how nice to see that scene each day you go to work.
m2k~Sounds like it's time to start allowing time to scrape the windshields before heading out. Certainly nice to see though with the magical changes in all it covers. Love the photo, too.
We haven't seen the little moose, but evidence is that one has been here, stripping the leaves from the raspberries and currants and nibbling twigs.
MySharona~what a view; and highs to the 70's sounds quite tolerable.
taken yesterday; the black and white days are pretty in their own way.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Thunderstorms this morning with over an inch of rain so far...chilly too.

Except for some greens and broccoli, things are done outdoors...except for the leaves which are slow to come down.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys,I hope I can get the tiles I want because we haev to pay some more for those.
It's been so sunny today,but windy! Sleet forecasted tonight again.
At sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 5a)

Good evening!

It's been cloudy and fairly calm earlier today, now the wind's picking up and it's started raining. 24 mph winds from the SE, gusting to 44 mph and 43°F.

Adina - the tiles look good! :-) Pretty sunset too :-)

Sharon - great sunset photos!

Thanks Kelli - great photos from the arboretum. Very interesting succulents.

Thanks for the well wishes too Sidney. I'm getting really sick of the hip pain - the foot isn't that bad at all. Although the Lazy Boy is very nice - I hate the fact that I'm not getting anything done while I'm parked in it .......... Someone asked if the swimming helped - it sure does since it's the only excersise I can get in the state I'm in ;-)

Hope you all have a great day :-)

Rann

Rann, sorry you're hurting , lucky your DH is at home and you can rest...I hope!

I just received these clouds pictures and wanted to share it with you...Sharon, I know you'll love it! This is what they said:

Jorn Olsen works for the Dutton-Lainson Co. in Hastings,
NE, and lives by Heartwell Park next to Hastings College
The stadium lights are at the Hastings College stadium
just east of his home.
The clouds are called Mammatus clouds... They do not
precede a tornado, or foretell a storm, but are formed
when the air is already saturated with rain droplets
and/or ice crystals and begins to sink. The worst of the
storm is usually over when these kind of clouds are seen.
They are quite rare, but really beautiful.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Joey – 27*!!!! Brrrr! Glad you like the pictures – we really enjoy going the to watch the sunsets. What kind of flower is that?
Dyson – How was breakfast?
Marsue – Welcome Back! So glad your MIL is doing well. We’ll keep her in our prayers.
Deb – I always have to “shed that winter coat” in March!
Sidney – I can’t wait to see the quilt!
Kiska – A true snow-cone! Sounds delicious! I would have had the same look on my face! We never made it to the 70’s. We stayed around 67-68 most of the day. You didn’t take the picture in black and white? Very cool!
Indy – Welcome! Send some of that rain to Dyson and Deb!
Rann – Enjoy the pampering while it lasts! Although I do hope your hip and foot heal quickly.
Adina – WOW! Those clouds are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

67.1 °F / 19 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 6.7 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft / 1371 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Remember the picture I took of Jeff with his head in the shark about a month or so back? The "shark" is on the left side of the picture - you can see the tail sticking up in the air. It's been there for years. The employees of the marina keep it painted and maintained. It's quite the tourist attraction!

Thumbnail by MySharona

We've been getting a little bit of drizzle, and I do mean little. If it keeps up like this all day, we might get a gallon of rain in the barrel. Note that it is never warm when it rains here.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on November 11, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
58 °F / 14 °C
Haze
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE

(Zone 5a)

Adina - WOW! Those clouds are amazing! I've never seen anything like it, thanks for sharing :-)

Thanks Sharon - beautiful photo of the marina :-)

Deb - sorry I forgot to answer your question earlier ...... 40°F isn't bad at all for November ;-) I did manage to wrap up 5 roses yesterday ...... DH isn't of much use in the garden so I'll have to take care of the shelters myself. Fortunately the temps will be above freezing all next week .

Joey - you asked what I used for sheltering the roses : up until now I've used burlap. I'm experimenting with insulation wool this year for the most tender ones. I've heard it makes good shelters - we'll have to wait until spring to see how they work out ;-)

Kiska - nice to see the moose are back :-) Glad you got some snow finally - it does make everything brighter :-) Nothing but rain in the forecast here for the next week unfortunately :-(

Rann

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great leaf photo, Deb.
Sharon, as usual your sunset photos are stupendous!
Kiska, I had to look twice to find the moose's antlers--at first I thought it was a bear--LOL. I was watching Iron Will on the Hallmark channel last night and it made me think of you and Alaska and the Iditerod (sp?) dog race.
Hope you are soon feeling better, Rann. I fell out my back door back in 1993 and turned my left foot under-- immediately a knot come up on the top of my foot like a tennis ball. Took 6 weeks of PT and I hobbled around on crutches for a while. I certainly empathize with you.
Adina, those are the most amazing cloud formations! Reminds me of the Pillsbury Doughboy--do you know about the Pillsbury Doughboy, Adina? If not, any of us here in the U.S. can explain it to you. I hope your selections for the tiles and flooring all turn out exactly like you want them to. We will look forward to seeing pictures once they are installed.
Today was a gorgeous day so DH and I drove over to some property we own in another county about 35 miles from here. That property is covered with moss-covered rocks which we are using to line our flower beds. We picked up a truck load of rocks or rather, DH picked up a truckload of rocks. I also took a couple of photos which show the remaining bit of color on the trees. We have not had a very colorful autumn this year, unfortunately. Here's the first photo.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's another photo of the trees on our property.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

marsue~the colors look fine from here, but if it's not what you're used to, I understand.
The nearby town of Wasilla, about 12 miles, is home of the Iditarod. It was founded by two local residents in 1967. Joe Reddington was/is known as the father of the Iditarod. Dorothy Page was the Wasilla historian.
28*~~Snow is piling up and the driveway will need plowed again :)
rann-glad you're feeling well enough to get the roses protected. Very important job to be done.
kelli~bet the rain smells great; and if it's a gallon that falls, so much the better. Is it raining in the area that you go hiking, or too soon to know?
MySharona~yes, I do recall the photo, and I recall showing my young Gkids and they were awe-struck; very pretty photo/marina. No, I don't need to use black/white, nature does it far better than I ever could.
adina ~what an unusual and awesome set of cloud photos; thanks for sharing those.
I did convert this one to black/white just for fun.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska, it should be raining in the area where we go hiking. If anything, they get a little more rain than we do.

That should make for a prettier walk later on.
;)

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Adina - what a beautiful and unusual set of cloud pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

Dyson - It doesn't hurt to go out for breakfast. I took my DH out for lunch today - as he is a WWII veteran - 81-1/2 yrs.old. We had absolutely delicious ground sirloin burgers on fresh made Italian rolls with cheese, onions and tomatoes and lettuce. No cholesterol counting today.

This AM was wind still, 40 deg and I was out spreading composted manure around the clematis vines. I was disappointed with their progress this summer - new in spring - so hope this will help them next year.

It is supposed to be wind still and a tiny bit warmer tomorrow. Maybe I can get garden beds diagrams done. - Before the snow covers up the labels. LOL

Se_eds you and DH are an inspiration. The Clemantis are pretty firm with first year they sleep, second year they creep, and third year they leap.
They are certainly worth waiting for.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

se_eds~from the heart: thank you's to your husband for his service.
Hope you get the diagraming finished before the snow flies.
kelli~as sugarweed says, bet the rain will start things greening up quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.