What's covering your feet when you garden?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 773 votes:

Sandals are my favorite summer footwear
(214 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Tennis shoes are my must-wear shoes
(203 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I wear work boots when I'm gardening
(53 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I am usually found barefoot in the garden
(113 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(190 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Why summer for sandals -- it is my all time favourite.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

last night I was barefoot and often drag the hose around in the clothes I slept in barefoot too. My feet are so ugly now, however I have clay and goat head stickers so I usually am not digging in the clay without my huge and growing collection of outdoor boots, and tennis shoes, and 1 pair of sandals.

Smyrna, TN(Zone 6b)

I use to go barefoot until I got a small rusty nail in my foot

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

ROFL, Don!

I have plantar fasciitis, too, and read that going without arch supports (barefoot, flipflops, slippers) makes it worse. I stretch before I get up and it still hurts--'course, being overweight doesn't help...gotta do more gardening and less eating!

Parkersburg, WV(Zone 6b)

I wear clogs--easy to slip on and off. I've got rubber garden clogs but my feet get to sweaty and sticky in them, so I wear an old pair of leather clogs....

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I wear Sloggers. (Garden Clogs) I used to wear old tennis shoes until my daughter bought me a pair of Sloggers.

txflowerlady

Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

I wear a pretty pair of Sloggers (clogs) that my daughter bought for me. The are printed with a Monet style pattern in pinks...

Lexington, KY

Crocs all the way (unless I'm digging then I put on my hiking boots). They protect my toes without being too hot & It's great to be able to just rinse off with a hose, feet & shoes both!

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

flip flops or bare

Palmyra, PA(Zone 6a)

I love my (fake) Crocs. They are perfect to garden in - keep my feet enclosed without getting too hot. Easy cleanup, too!

Calais, VT

Since I have to wear shoes, I am always dragging dirt into the kitchen, not good. That is, until I found the new age 'goulashes' called Neos. They cover my shoes but go on easy with a lone velco strap. If you are like me and have the wear shoes these are the best for the gardener in the family.

Brewster, MA(Zone 6b)

Crocs.

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I WAS BORN BAREFOOTED!!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I wear my old new balance shoes with hard plastic orthotics in them. The orthotics really help with digging. I too, step outside with my "new" asics on and next thing you know, I am in the middle of the garden.

Flip-flops!! :-)

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Heavy duty tennis shoes for the digging work; Mucks if has been raining and much is muddy; Crocks otherwise--the ones without any holes, and I bought an adjustable back strap. I did sprain my ankle once wearing them, tripped on a rock. That's it. Karen

Puyallup, WA(Zone 7b)

Flip flops, or what we like to call them in Hawaii...slippas (slippers). I have strap tan lines.....I'm a true Hawaii Girl (living in Wash.). My hula sisters have a good chuckle when they see my feet in class (No! My feet are not dirty!). But I do have to admit that when I have to do some major digging, I'll put my sloggers on. Just don't know what might come crawling out of the ground . Good question, Dave!

Aloha...Vanessa

Kyle, TX

I am such a fashion statement when I am in the garden now. I have recently moved to Texas and have learn the joys of FIRE ANTS. I also learned I am allergic to the bites. Blisters and swelling and all. So my ugly walmart rubber boots have become a must. Such a picture with my shorts, tank top and boots. Now if only I could find rubber boots for my hands.....Any one have clues on the massive fire ant problem??????????

Altamonte Springs, FL

I usually wear plastic clogs. They protect my feet and can be hosed-off after wearing. They can be found at most of your gardening stores where they sell gardening apparel.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

Other. I wear garden clogs. They murder my feet, but they're most practical for me in the garden.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

The only solution that really works on fire ants I find is in WalMart - eliminator - as soon as I see a mound I spread the stuff around it and on it. I went on a trip and while in Virginia Beach area they had closed a couple of school sports grounds because of fire ants, but I am sure they would have probably died off in the winter - I do hope so for their sakes. They must have hitched a lift from down south!

Golly I am sooo glad there are no fire ants around here!...I wear flip flops until a red bellied black (snake) reminds me to put the gum boots on Darn!....I keep stockings over the boot tops to keep the redbacks out....neverbut never put your tootsys into unprotected gum boots =^O

Thumbnail by
Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Oooh Chrissy, that's a scary picture.
I have recently been converted to Crocs, but I wear them with sox now since I kept getting tick bites on the ankle. White athlectic sox, and I look about as dorky as it is possible to look in them combined with my flashy orange crocs. But I look pretty dorky anyway in the garden, with my floppy hat, oversize shirt, and worse-for-wear bluejeans. And usually, dirt rubbed across my face from wiping off the itchy trails of perspiration in this late-June heat!
My very favorite thing is going barefoot in warm grass, but that's only in June-August.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Dorks unite! DH says I'm the eccentric in the neighborhood. I also use mask and safety glasses if necessary.

Ha ha ha I would love to be a fly on the wall......seeing some of the goings on around the place ...why don't you start a thread somewhere about gardening attire....that would be a scream ...or has somebody already done that before .......Yes those red backs like hiding under dunny seats (outdoor toilet seats)....you must never be in to much of a hurry not to check before you use! ha ha ha

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

for general stuff - crocs - i put mine in the dishwasher when i'm done. keens are great too and black and purple rubber boots if i'm heading to "the swamp"!

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I have a lot of foot problems and wear custom orthodics. After having the guy who makes them explain to me how the higher the tie up boot the more effective the orthodic. I started wearing nothing but my high top hikers. My feet are much better than before and I'm not as clumsy in the garden as I was before. At my age being able to walk is the most important thing. I would like to be able to wear sandals though! I take off the boots and socks and sit on the porch with my feet on the cool tiles. ; ) Without the orthodics and boots I would not be able to garden.

Charleston, SC(Zone 8a)

wasn't 'til i visited Boston in the winter that i knew you were supposed to wear shoes!

i am always barefooted in the garden .. and also keep forgetting to put on my gloves! everytime i get dressed to go somewhere - as i walk to the car there is just one little weed that must be pulled - and there go the finger nails.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Garden clogs for me.

West Newfield, ME

Dansk clogs for me!

Choteau, MT

Old tennies (well, old running shoes) are my standard. Sandals allow miscellaneous uncomfortable things to get wedged under and between toes, and boots are sometimes just too hot and big. So I opt for a pair of running shoes that are retired from running (and so, more or less, am I). They can get wet and dirty and nasty and whatever and it just doesn't matter. The only drawback is that I can't just slip them on and off.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Crocs!!! I keep the strap over the top so I can just slip in and out of them, without bending over. Sure, my feet get dirty, but hey! - have to shower after gardening anyway.

Used to have a pile of old tennis shoes and a pair of mucks, but they would all stink to high heaven after they got wet. Never a problem with the crocs. And they are so comfortable.....

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Crocs rock!

Lawrenceville, VA

I wear canvas "tennis" shoes or flip flops ("ff"). If hard work on knees, I use the shoes, otherwise, ff, especially when it's wet. Love the feel of water and dew on my feet. Learned years ago to wear some type of shoe because of the bumble bees... they are the only ones I seem to step on and I hate to hurt them, but hate to get hurt myself from their sting. Bumbles won't sting you and are really quite friendly I've found.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I've never tried crocs. Now I feel like the caveman who wakes up millions of years later to find that everyone is wearing them!

I wear sandals for minor gardening, flipflops for watering. I used to go barefoot a lot before I stepped on a SLUG. YUCK!!!

For any kind of gardening beyond weeding and watering, I wear running shoes with socks. I have 2 identical pairs of Nike running shoes, one for gardening and one for going out.

My problem is doing "just a little bit of watering (weeding, whatever) in my good shoes and getting them all muddied up.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Here is my garden foot gear, one pair of clogs are on my feet right now since I just came in from weeding, would not dream go bare foot, bees are too busy in the lawn that is full of clover

Thumbnail by Maria
Laguna Niguel, CA(Zone 11)

I always wore flipflops until I broke two toes! Gardening clogs for me.

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

Wendycm, try my method. I keep my shoes tied but loosely enough to be able to slip them on. I don't tie a bow, I just hold the laces together and tie a knot. Then I push them under the laced up part. The picture is of my gardening shoes. On the shoe on the right you can see how I tie it. This kind of knot NEVER comes undone. The shoe on the left has the lace tucked in all neat like. I even keep my good walking shoes tied like this. I've gotten downright lazy about tying shoes.

Thumbnail by chris_h

I have really bad feet and have found that the only thing that I can wear for any length of time is Birkenstocks. So that is what I wear when gardening, going to the store, out for dinner, to the opera, etc etc. I have about 20 pairs.....
What I hate is when I am wearing a decent pair and then go out in the yard and start digging without remembering to change into one of my 'garden' pairs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.