What's covering your feet when you garden?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)
There are a total of 773 votes:

Sandals are my favorite summer footwear
(214 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Tennis shoes are my must-wear shoes
(203 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I wear work boots when I'm gardening
(53 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I am usually found barefoot in the garden
(113 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(190 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

I wish I could go bare foot, but am afraid of stepping on something, too. I wear the most comfortable, but most worn out pair of Velcro-strapped sandles made by Bass. I bought them when we got our first Tanger Outlet stores, in nearby Riverhead, N.Y. I have not been able to find another pair since,and also asked the manager on occasion, hoping they would come back...to no avail. Oh well, my other pair of K-Mart specials just have to keep up with me, because these are wearing out FAST!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a pile of shoes at the door too, but mine are not clean like yours madeintheshade, it has been raining here way too much!
I wear leather sneakers (old zipper ones that I can slip on)to do shovel or rock work in. Then the crocs or clogs when it is just wet grass, or mud etc. I also have a zipper water shoe I wear them when I have to go into the pond to trim water lilies, reset lights etc. I have New Balance slip-on sneakers that I had to get when I had back surgery and love them Patrob! Plan to get another pair because I am wearing the dickens out of these!

But NEVER have I worn WING TIPS!!! Too funny Dave47!!

Beaumont, TX

That's the only reason mine are clean! I was out in it several times messing with the gutters and each time I grabbed a different pair. The leather Bass tie up's (on the bottom of the pile)are my favorite comfortable shoes. I usually use those for digging now since they aren't presentable to wear in public anymore. My sister threatened to throw them away ! I love those shoes ! I wore them to dig in the mud when I finally decided to get new shoes, they were so covered in mud I left them outside the back door in the rain for days and then when they dried they were good as new!

I still have to hide them from Janet. :) She brought me a pair of horrible looking shoes that resembled them a couple weeks ago when we were shopping in GW and asked "Are these YOURS??? Did you FINALLY give these to GW?"

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!

Beaumont, TX

If those hideous ones at GW would have been my size, I'd own um! They are oxford loafers. Really wide toes. I wish I could find another pair like them. That always happens when I find a pair I love and need another, they don't make them any more. If I'd known how comfortable when I got them I'd have bought a dozen! hmmmmmmmm I might see if I can find them on ebay...

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I now wear garden clogs with slip resistant soles. After falling into my fishing pond trying to plant Louisana Iris wearing tennis shoes with slippery bottoms.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, Cordele! I gotta wear my "gymmers" 'cause we don't have any grass out here in the woods. Lots of rocks between container gardens, which would hurt bare feet, and leaves and mud with slimy critters. Also, steep hillsides that require climbing. I actually need to get spikes for my soles!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pixie, you have my routine down.
Kelli-you're not the only one who had no idea what crocs were.
I was just talking about the garden clogs-(brand name I assume is crocs) with my nephew and we are shocked to see people actually wearing them out in public.
Don't they make your feet stink????

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

When I had physical therapy after my back surgery the ladies that worked there wore them. They said they even wore them in the winter with socks, they were so comfortable. I have a knockoff brand, but I am getting to like them; feels like going barefoot. Could never see me wearing them to work, but they wore scrubs, not dress slacks. LOL!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

flowerjen - No stinky feet! The only time I don't wear mine is when I'm in the house or at my part time office job. I love the Croc Capri sandals. They aren't as clunky, but just as comfy. They conform to your feet. Just about everyone here wears them - from the beach to restaurants.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm voting for my wife, who wears a pair of those new high tech, fancy schmancy garden clogs. I got her a pair for Mother's Day. (People on this forum will appreciate why that isn't such a dorky and completely inappropriate gift). She wears them constantly, both for gardening and dog walking duties. Easy to slip on and off, waterproof, comfortable (I guess).

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

BDale ~ I'll bet that earned you brownie points! ; )

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Hahaha! Yes, as a matter of fact, those clogs were definitely one of those gifts that was embraced and used immediately instead of the kind that is received politely and then stuck in a closet. Whew, I lucked out this time LOL!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm shocked..I thought surely that most would say they are barefoot like me!!..LOL..must be a Texas thang?!?!?...Jeanne

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Barefoot for me. NC is known as the Tarheel state. And of course people think we are hillbillies anyway.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Can't lick em, join em. Sooooo, what's my excuse for barefootism here in Massachusetts? We have fewer snakes??

Waukegan, IL(Zone 5a)

All of you with aching ankles, knees and backs are my people! I always wear Easy Spirit walkers (with socks) in the garden and everywhere else (except for "dress-up"). They are the most comfortable shoes for me. I keep the laces permanently tied, but loose enough that I can slip into the shoes like loafers. I tie the laces together and then push them under the laced up portion. They never come untied so I never have to touch them again.

I think I'd better order a new pair today! I like to have one pair in reserve. I dread the day when the particular style I wear is discontinued and I have to begin a new search for the perfect shoe (comfort-wise).

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 7:49 AM

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Most times I wear worn out sandals...but I have a pair of those brown plastic sandals I got in Hawaii that are perfect when going from garden to pond...you don't even have to slow down!!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

I'm impossible! I wear perfectly good black running shoes. After all, one never knows when the neighboring black bear might decide to visit!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Garden Clogs here. I got them at Wal-Mart for $8.95 they are called Ladybugs by Ranger. They even have a padded insole that you can take out when you spray them off with the hose. Very Very comfy.
Jane

Thumbnail by eichholtz
Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

crocs

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

I answered "work boots", but really they are muck boots. We have a lot of problems with ticks and lyme disease, so I tuck my pants in my socks and slip on the boots, which are also snug at the top. I have been known to garden in heels though LOL! You know how a weed can catch your attention on your way to or from work and next thing you know you are pulling more than one weed :-)

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Watchit Resin! I still come back to UK every year! an I haven't forgotten how to use my umbrella, and I know the way to Northumberland!!!! I have seen lots of 'gators' around here, why not pop over for a visit - they enjoy English Lunch!

Fort Plain, NY(Zone 5a)

As my day is split up around the farm; barn, pastures, garden, who knows what I put my work boots on in the morning and they come off at night. Current pair is falling apart but they are the most comfortable pair I have ever owned so I will probably wear them the rest of the summer. They happen to be PINK timberlands. (Or at least they were once PINK. LOL) It is just my sense of humor to have pink s-kickers.

Winter time my muck boots are the only thing. Have never found anything else to work in the barn in that is as warm and waterproof, and easily washed.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Unless I'm doing heavy digging (when I wear my Kodiaks) I wear crocs. For years I went barefoot, but I recently developed plantar fasciitis and I just can't walk in bare feet any more. So sad. But the Crocs pretty much do away with the pain. In the winter, it's my Blunnies (Blundstones, Australian s-kickers) for comfort, durability, waterproofivity...

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

good news. I have had PF in the past and after many months it cleared up.
Not fun while it is raging. Am very careful to always pick shoes that have a slight elevation in the heel and rubber (or something simialar) soles. Never, ever completely flat.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I wear work boots or hiking boots to dig and transplant, sneakers to do maintenance like feed and water and I do sometimes like to go barefoot to wonder around taking pictures.

Chapel Hill, NC

Here in Chapel Hill, NC I wear green rubber gardening boots. They look like slightly short green "Wellies". We have copperhead and other snakes, lots of clay, rocks, chiggers, mosquitoes and ticks in the garden. The boots do a great job protecting my ankles from bites. They have a reinforced instep (good for digging) and the tread makes for easier working in the peanut butter-like wet clay soil. BTW, I go barefoot in the house.

Paola, KS(Zone 6a)

I just had to add my love of the season. My vote is for Crocs also--but--the Mary Jane style. They aren't quite as bulky & have 2 cute straps. I wore a pink pair on a mission trip in Haiti in much worse conditions than my garden will ever see & came home with them looking good as new! Have ya'll ever tried using a Magic Eraser on them? Works great on those styllish little numbers in the pastels:)

(Zone 1)

Well ... I said barefoot cause I am barefoot most of the time ... sometimes I wear an old pair of Croc's that are very comfortable. If I have to use a spade/shovel in the garden or it's winter time, I wear an old ratty pair of sneakers!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I wear an old beatup pair of merrell clogs day and night( I sometimes forget how beat up they are ! ) but if there is heavy digging to do sneakers do the trick I would like to wear opentoe sandles but my yard is loaded with clover and with clover come bees!
Laurawege

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I wear fuzzy bunny slippers. Try to scare off the real rabbits while I'm working.

Thomson, GA

gcshari- that peanut butter like clay - is that what they call "Bull Tallow" ??or something like that. We lived outside of Charlotte in Cabarras County many years ago, and when perk testing soil for a septic tank I remember that term being used to describe the soil conditions. Hard as a brick when dry and like nothing else when wet. Very different from Georgia clay. funny.

Loved that area, though. I cried when we left. Now the land we owned out in the boondocks I understand has million dollar estate homes. (it's about 4 miles from Lowe's motor speedway). Oh well. We sold 7 acres for $14,000 25 years ago.

ACT, Australia

i dont garden

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well I got my first Crock wanna bes at an outdoor supply store in Toledo last fall. They are Camoflage and when it got cold I got some furry shocking pink thin soled slippers that I could wear inside those camo crock wanna bes. Well everywhere I wore them I was stopped and praised, LOL
Since I'm so tight I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops I couldn't justify $30. for the real Crocks. I got 2 pair of knock-offs at the $5. store in Maryland and will also advise that you need to pinch the heel to see if it's cushy on the real or others as they are made different places with different materials.
My best hint I copied from QVC, take a curly rubber mat and cut about 12" off and silicone it to your shower mat. (Mine is green) Then you can scrub the bottom of your feet while standing up.
;)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, victorgardener! Has anyone ever forgotten they had on their "old ratty sneakers" and gone out with them on? Embarrassing!

Paola, KS(Zone 6a)

I squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops...lol...I love it! sugarweed that cracks me up & I can't wait for an opportunity to use it! Thanks for the smile:)

Land's End Slippers or Muck Shoes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.