What's covering your feet when you garden?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)
There are a total of 773 votes:

Sandals are my favorite summer footwear
(214 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Tennis shoes are my must-wear shoes
(203 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I wear work boots when I'm gardening
(53 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I am usually found barefoot in the garden
(113 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(190 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh wow, I didn't realize there were so many different kinds. I've just seen flip flops, clogs, and clogs with straps!

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

If the grass is wet...which it usually is, I wear slip-on boots. If it is dry, I wear inexpensive slip-on shoes, either canvas or other material.

Hebron, KY

I clicked onto the Crocs website (they have alot more than I thought) lol

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

Thanks for your info!

Marilyn

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I wear whatever I have on.. which is bad news for my good shoes.. Mostly I wear sandals but I have a pair of slip on garden tennies that I wear a lot. They are open in the back and I can kick them off when I go inside. I hate it when I forget and wear them to the store.. I'll be shopping and look and and see these muddly green things and I just cringe..lol..

Hebron, KY

Araness,

What are the Clouds like? I didn't see them listed on the Crocs website.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Are the Crocs with or without the back strap more comfortable?

Hebron, KY

What stores do you all buy your Crocs?

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

Of course, sandals are my preferred footwear, but I've ruined many a pair by venturing into the garden with them on!

I bought "crocs" just for gardening-- then I found myself falling out of them when moving heavy objects...

so now it's back to socks and sneakers for heavy work and work with mowers, trimmers, etc.

But I do so much outside that my feet get dirty anyway, and always look like I've been barefoot!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Crocs (open-toed), Sloggers (for a quick trip outside or watering), old sneakers, or light boots.

Re Crocs - I only have two pair (so far!). The open-toed ones (Nile) are not as comfortable as the Cayman, IMO, mainly because the latter have better arch support.

I haven't had trouble with tripping. The only thing is I keep thinking I have slippers on when I wear my Caymans shopping, etc. :-)

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I like my Crocs except when I'm digging. Then I wear heavy sole slip-ons, the ones from Lands End.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Other - cutting the lawn, or running the weed-eater, etc. requires work boots, light work can be done in the tennis shoes, if I am just walking and looking, or watering, sandals are preferred. I only go "bare foot" in the house and then at my own peril as this place has many dangers. Too many grand children's toys about to be totally safe.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I wear whatever I slip on. I have loafers by the door, sandals, tennis shoes, flip flops, boots, you name it. I'm not picky about what I wear gardening.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't know what crocs are, but barefoot never, I use my old rainboots from UK, called Wellingtons - don't know what you call them here, they come halfway up my legs so nothing can get me! I found out the hard way about them fire ants!

Round Lake Beach, IL(Zone 5a)

Being from Hawaii I am so use to going barefooted, but, after I step on something I get my crocs.

North Augusta, ON

bare feet here, always...I even forget sometimes and hop in the car to go to town barefoot.....I have learned the walmart won't let you shop barefoot :(

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

My DH still has his Wellies, seemama! As kids, we just called them rain boots here in California.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Run a weed eater through poison ivy or poison oak just one time w/sandals on and it will break you of the habit. LOUD experience talks.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Barefoot, but I'm forced to wear bog boots when I'm in the rose garden-ouch!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Don't know what crocs are

A bit like alligators, but meaner
http://www.lennytheboxer.com/myrtle/pages/Crocs.htm

Resin

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wellies sound too distinguished for east Tx. We call them "chicken plant" boots. You can tell where folks work by that footwear.

I keep a pair of them for the toad stranglers we occasionally get tho.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave - I might need pics of you in the wingtips.

I wear crocs and my airwalk'crocs' - except when it's cold.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

very cute Resin! :)

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

I have garden clogs but I voted sneakers/tennis shoes because I have much more stamina for extended gardening when I wear my lace-ups.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

wow, a lot of bare-footers. Don't you guys have pokey things and rocks in your yards?

I wear Mucks. I have a pair of the tall, almost knee-highs for rainy weather (live in the PNW so they get a lot of use) and the low ones for all the rest of the time. I find they very comfortable and they keep my feet completely dry. They go on and off easy too.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned them. I see them in a lot of nurseries. They're costly but I don't imagine I'll every have to buy another pair. I've had them 3+ years and they look as good as the day I bought them.

Gwen

Richmond, VA

Sneakers...I have several pairs that I picked up at a discount shoe store. Some are lace up, some slip on's. I find that sneakers don't depress the lawn as much as clogs or boots. I must confess I wore out a pair of Wellie's, like Prince Charles wears. The neighbor's laugh and shake their heads. They know I'm strange. Happy Gardening, dear people.

Arias

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I wear tennies mostly. I do wear crocks sometimes, when I need to put something on my feet quickly -- I go barefooted in the house. Sometimes the crocs even stay on all day, but I think my feet feel better at the end of the day with good quality tennies. Now, the next time I go to a big museum, however, it will be crocks. I almost died of shin splints at the Getty in LA-- miles and miles of Travertine and we couldn't stand to miss anything.

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

Sandals for me usually. I'm in the process of removing all of the stray thistle plants in our yard which will make barefoot much more enjoyable. I tend to have a pile at both the front door and back door. If I'm out of sandals there, any shoes are fair game.

I do wear work boots while mowing, with my overactive imagination I have visions of slicing off a toe without them. I also wear a 20 year old pair of loafers for digging - they're sooo comfortable and easy to slip on and off.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm sorta between sandles and bare feet. Although have had occasion to wear tennis shoes. I can't feel comfortable tilling in bare feet or sandles. The bare feet are usually in the beginning when the ground (and everything on it) is pretty visible. As the foliage covers the ground I try to at least wear sandles.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I buy my Croc's at Hallmark stores and via the website the Clouds are under the RX on the website. I'd like to get a pair of the boots for rainy season here in SE TX. I love my Croc's and can really tell a major difference in the days I haven't worn them.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

moccasins are my favorite footwear for gardening.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Barefoot or Crocs. I have 3 pair and looking at more. Love them, wear them almost everywhere.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 2:45 PM

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

LOL ! I like Resin's definition of "crocs".

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Old worn out shoes from Payless.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

barefoot is first choice, but garden clogs run a close second (I keep a pair at each door); my $12 wellies when I need them.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Considering the number of times I have almost put a fork through my foot, or tried to spade off my toes, tough leather workboots with hard toecaps are my gardening footwear of choice. If I wear any shoes with holes in (such as sandals or crocs) for weeding or walking in the yard, they soon fill with gravel and become really uncomfortable, so my second choice is an enclosed slip-on shoe. Am I the only person in North America that does not own a pair of trainers, sneakers, or tennis shoes? I find them too hot in summer, too cold in winter, and a bother to do up and undo.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Humm I think I own a pair June...I don't remember since I haven't worn them in years. I do know that when the hurricanes happened a few years ago I gave away 3 pair of brand new never worn Nike's. I'm with you my feet feel like they are smothered in them.

Genoa, NY(Zone 5b)

I used to be a flip flop gardener, but I have moved on into crocs for the dry days and a closed pair of clogs for the wet days, or muck boots if it is really wet, but if I have to wear boots I'm doing too much damage to my soil structure.

Midland, WA(Zone 8a)

In my infancy I ran all over the farm and the woods barefoot -- my mother used to complain that I had pink feet in the morning and black feet at night. Now I wear flip-flops to garden outside unless I'm mowing or digging. If I mow the front yard I wear a beat-up pair of Birkies. If I mow the very uneven back yard, or dig, I wear a pair of heavy suede ankle boots and get this, white socks. I hate white socks. I only wear them when I'm gardening, in hopes I'll put holes in them and I can throw them away. But I can't imagine wishing to wear holes in any other color of socks, not to mention the grass & mud stains, so when I run out of white socks for gardening I buy more white socks.

I don't have tennies or running shoes, either. But I do have a pair of Naughty Monkeys -- canvas & leather peep-toes with kitten heels. I'm the Imelda Marcos of my office!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 3:27 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here, i will show you mine!!! The ones I love!!!! We get ours from Whole Earth in Houston, Austin, Dallas or San Antonio......
I only have one pair that my son's girlfriend sent me after she visited and saw me go through about 6 pair of sandals in one weekend outside watering.....
***If you order online, they run true to size.......example, I wear an 8 very narrow shoe..........these are size 8 and fit fine.......don't worry about the width of your regular shoe........these will fit if you get them the right length....
They come in for children, ladies, men....

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.