What's covering your feet when you garden?

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 773 votes:

Sandals are my favorite summer footwear
(214 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Tennis shoes are my must-wear shoes
(203 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I wear work boots when I'm gardening
(53 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I am usually found barefoot in the garden
(113 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(190 votes, 24%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

gessie those look like the Croc Mary Jane's, I've been looking at them as my "dress up" shoes LOL DH says if it's made out of croslite it's not dress up anything!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

I pretty much wear top of the line Acsis running shoes all the time, everywhere. It's not because I run, far from it, but I have been blessed with orthopedically challenged, surgically repaired feet and I need the support. I can barely walk in dress shoes and with two major different sizes of feet, I need the lace ups to keep me steady and secure. I have tried numerous brands of shoes and the Ascis woks best for me. Wish they weren't so expensive but it's a small price to pay for mobility.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

forgot the link...duh

http://shop.crocs.com/pc-34-4-mary-janes.aspx?reqid=34&reqProdTypeId=41p&subsectionname=footwear§ion=products

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 2:59 PM

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

CROCS........pink ones, purple ones, red ones, red white and blue ones. I ALWAYS WEAR CROCS gardening or otherwise. payless has a good knock-off brand. the ones at the dollar stores don't last nearly as long. the only problem with crocs is when the soles get smooth...............look out on wet concrete.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

My Keen's: http://www.keenfootwear.com/pdp_page.cfm?productID=53

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I just bought some baby blue, closed toe Crocs with the back strap. My husband took one look and laughed himself silly, saying I looked like Minnie Mouse. He has asked me to never wear them in public. Pretty funny, considering he has a pair of open toed brown ones. Maybe it was the color I got? Or the fact that I'm really petite with disproportionately large feet...I guess I do look ridiculous in them. But, so far I do find them to be the most comfortable thing to wear in the garden. I expected my feet to sweat a lot, but they really don't.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

When working in the garden, I always wear tennis shoes. When hot weather really kicks in, I wear sandals in general, but not for working in the garden. I don't like how it feels getting dirt up in them. Since I am the literal tenderfoot, I never go barefoot, not even at the beach - too many stones. Boots would be overkill for the kinds of things I do. There aren't many days in the year when there is mud.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

How come horseshoe(less) has not climbed in here?

Holly Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

Funny posts, Carrielamont. Thanks for the sneakers, er, snickers...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have a pair of Keen Sofia and only wore them three times...Carrie is the Imelda Marcos of her office I guess I'm the Imelda Marcos of "ugly" shoes as the DH calls my collection of Keens, Birks, Mephesto, Ugg's..

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

flip flops or plastic garden clogs so I can just rinse them and leave them out on the stoop to dry.

Aranes...I hae a pair of mephisto sandals and they are really nice. Sounds like you have great taste in shoes!

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

I most often go barefoot. This is really a stupid practice as I have been repeatedly eaten up by fireants and other nasties. Not to mention the grass gives me a slight allergic reaction. I will even mow the yard barefoot. However, for the days I don't feel like toying with my toesies health, I will wear Keds type sneakers or bicycle shoes. The bike shoes are light and I can dig with them and they drain quickly if soaked. Of course, I have gone out shopping in them when I forget I had them on, then marvel at the trail of sand behind every step. ^_^

Oh, and I have tried flip flops, but the grass poking my ankles makes me paranoid about ant bites. So, no flip flops whilst gardening.

PS - I hated using gloves until I discovered they work better at pulling weeds by hand. My favorite pair has a velcro strap at the wrist and kid leather for sensitivity.

Hebron, KY

Podster,

What are ( and what is meant by ) "toad stranglers"? lol

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Gwendalou,

My (Post #3656004 ), I said.....

"I wear good sturdy and comfortable Reeboks and white cotton socks (rubber soled 'walkers') usually . When it's muddy I wear my Muck (brand) shoes (rubbers shoes that only come up to my ankles). The Muck shoes are very comfortable and alot my comfortable than the 'cheaper' priced mud shoes. I also wear my Muck shoes anytime the grass is wet........"

I love my Mucks too! I wear them so much that I need to get another pair ( they have a leak at the toes and my socks and toes get wet )

Marilyn ;-)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

I normally wore garden clogs in the past but this year have been wearing a pair of "crocs" but an offbrand. Very comfy but not good for using a full-size shovel. For that I slip into the garden clogs.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Toad stranglers ~ why... a hard heavy rain, of course... : )

and I got choked up on Noreasters Minnie Mouse comment. My simulated crocs ( Double L Bean ) are royal blue and my DH was aghast that I might actually wear them in public too... LOL Perish the thought... LLLOL

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always wear workboots when I'm working at the garden center, doing a side job or anything at home that requires stepping on a shovel or pitch fork. For all other outdoor tasks at home, there is a 14 year old pair of red rubber garden clogs with a removable cork insole that I LOVE! They are the perfect back door shoes. My newly adopted dog Nina chewed the insole a bit on the right one so I'm searching for a replacement. I bought this pair right after my last dog Honey moved in as a pup and chewed up the previous pair. Honey died this past January. I guess it's fitting that the shoes get retired now too. If my dogs, and my shoes, last 14 years each, I guess I'm living the good life, eh?

Thumbnail by LadyCleo
Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

OK, Nina was looking over my shoulder and got offended that I posted a pic of Honey and not her. So here's my new poochiamamama.

Thumbnail by LadyCleo
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Lady - some mighty handsome pups!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

"wow, a lot of bare-footers. Don't you guys have pokey things and rocks in your yards?"

Gwen...my feet are so calloused I could probably step on a rose cane and not feel it! ;-) The bottoms of my feet look so bad that I'd be too embarrassed to even get a pedi! Tamara

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love to walk barefoot in my yard and gravel driveway but I have to be careful because of thorns, dog droppings, snakes and bees. So I very rarely get to do that. :~(

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

New Balance only. Not just for gardening, but for nearly everything.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

LadyCleo, Nina looks like my dog. Check out Carolinadogs.com

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Crocs or a knockoff!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Was I the only one surprised when my Crocs shrunk. Washed them in hot water with the towels and couldn't believe they were too short afterward.
How can a "rubber" (or whatever it is) shrink? I still wear them in the garden because I too have stepped on too many things that I would rather my skin not touch. Just not so comfortable now. Wonder if the people that make millions of them know or care about this problem.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to have Dr. Scholls athletic shoes with gel insoles for my heels. If I wear anything else that doesn't have good insole support....my feet, especially my heels kill me.

Nana3

Medford, NJ

Crocs, Crocs, Crocs - by the time I got around to getting a pair, I was tired of seeing them.....the only ones that still look cute to me are the ones on the under 8 crowd ( the 5 year olds in my area have even taken to wearing a different color on each foot...too cute!)

But tell me something.....when crocs first came out, I thought "Whats so new about these? The look like my garden clogs with holes in them." So, were crocs originally garden clogs that "caught on" as a style? Or where they copied from us fashionable garden people and promoted as a style?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it used to be crocs, but lands end makes one called trellos that i love so much more, so now it's trellos or nothing and i can't do "nothing" because of fire ants.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am sure they are a fad but it has not passed yet..........my oldest daughter got a pair for her nephew for his birthday.....(my 3 year old grandson).........his response was, "cool, I have crocs".........when his mother asked him how he knew what crocs were, he replied, "Everyone wears them, Mom"

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I have the Jibbitz for several pair of mine, DH says from the feet down I look like a 5 year old.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

June, back up there a bit. No, there are two of us in NA not wearing sneakers, clogs, and such.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm wearing beach sandals, they are water/mud proof and wash off easily...we've had so much rain in central Texas that my garden in about to be put on the EPA's wetlands list. Early in the year (and drier years) I wore Reebok hiking boots--especially good for a little more foot protection when running the tiller.

Montpelier, VT(Zone 4b)

Hi,
I have tried all the alternatives listed and garden clogs work for me, except when I am landscaping a steep hill. Work boots or Wellies work in those situations depending whether it is wet or dry.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Flipflops! Crocs only when heavy work is being done. I am the flip flop queen - have many, many , many colors and styles, but waterproof kind for the garden - pair by each door. I'm still trying to digest "black wingtips"! Nearly choked on my coffee!

Beaumont, TX

LOL I have quite a pile mysterypoodle.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I wear something like clogs but without the heel, very comfortable for me, must have about 6 pairs

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I usually wear a pair of the knock off crocs that are so cheap at Walmart. I have a black pair, a red pair, and a pink pair that the dog has chewed on. Those are the ones I wear most often.

However, I do wear sandles once in a while so my feet don't get the funky tan lines from the holes in the crocs and having my feet covered while my legs tan. That looks really weird when I have to wear something decent to a meeting. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Joan, they have sunlight in ND? I thought it was a southern thing.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

LOL! We have a few days a year when the sun shines. Those days usually happen somewhere between June and August.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.