Photos of container gardens

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Please post your photos of any pots, odd containers, even window boxes - anything at all that you've done and loved. It doesn't matter if it's newly planted or from former years. Photos are inspirational to many of us and even when we think we love what we did we can find great new ideas to expand on them.

I found this old hollow piece of driftwood at one of our beaches in January 2006 and this year I put plants in big pots then adjusted for height with bricks and they're "growing" out of the driftwood. It's newly planted so I'll update it as they fill out (hopefully!).

Thumbnail by pirl
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just love your driftwood piece with all the plant material in it............thanks for starting this thread....then we can all refer back to it for new ideas!!!! Good going, Pirl!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great idea for a thread. I love getting new ideas for combinations of plants.

My Truck and Trailer "Topiary" Containers.

Edited to add: Reposted later with plant names

This message was edited May 30, 2007 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

Thanks.

Last year I had pots all around the driftwood and it looked nice but they did dry out fast. This year I added a few tree roses and still have pots to fill with delphiniums and dahlias.

Thumbnail by pirl

Lovely truck and trailer. I saw you post that somewhere and thought of my dad and his truck. I even looked locally to see if I could find one but no luck.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pirl. I found the truck at Ross for Less, but have seen them at some of the nurseries here in town. The little trailer came from Goodwill. Someone else's trash was my treasure! :-)

I love that driftwood log. Love the way you've planted in it. I've always wanted to do that but haven't found just the right piece of wood.

I do have a piece of wood mounted on the lattice on the deck that I've put a staghorh fern in.

Very nice. Driftwood is such fun to use in a garden.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's one I saw yesterday.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

That's really pretty revclaus.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

revclaus.....that is really 'wow' picture!!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is my latest....and thus my favorite mix of contrasting plants. Needs shade, but growing well.

Thumbnail by morganc
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Love the colors and the choice of plants!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Morgan,
That is awesome! Love the black EE's in that pot with the chartreuse leaves to show them off.

Looks beautiful against the stone wall.

Janet

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Love all of the containers!! Here are some of mine.
Burgundy Verbena, Cherry Blossom Million Bells, and Snowstorm Pink Bacopa

This message was edited May 29, 2007 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

two containers with million bells and double white bacopa - one is yellow with red eye and the other is apricot with red eye. In the watering can container is a light green sweet potato vine.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 8:56 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

oopps my tipped over containers!!
The containers that are tipped over and one to the right have red, pink, and white begonias. The container in the middle has impatiens - the white is a double.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 9:00 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

I love all the photos.

Revclaus - what a lush lush box that is.

MorganC - I have the exact same colors in my morning hosta garden! The stone wall does add to the picture without taking anything away from the composition.

Granny - great jobs!

My wooden wheelbarrow container has impatiens and the hanging baskets are fuchsias. I did not plant the fuchsias but bought them at the farmers market in town already in the containers.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

My containers in the front of the house. The color of the containers matches the color of the shutters.
large container: rose diascia, tricolor sweet potato vine, raspberry blast supertunia, and a mini silver supertunia
Medium container: yellow osteospermum, raspberry blast supertunia, and white bacopa
small container: bright pink supertunia, mini silver supertunia, raspberry blast supertunia

This message was edited May 29, 2007 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

This is the double hanging basket I have in the front of the house. Hoping the top will spill down to the bottom basket.
The hanging baskets contain supertunias (Proven winners petunia hybrid) in these colors: mini bright pink raspberry blast, mini silver

This message was edited May 29, 2007 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

The front of the house has the same 3 maroon containers on each side and 2 hanging baskets. I needed something maroon in front of the porch because there were no shutters on that side of the front of the house and the containers helped to add the color.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Between rain showers, I went out to take some photos of the containers at my front door.

This one has Panda Pink Strawberries spilling, Freida Hemple Caladiums, Polka-Dot plant 'Splash Red Select' Hypoestes phyllostachya

This message was edited May 30, 2007 10:39 AM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

This one has White Queen caladiums and hoyas spilling with Polka-Dot plant 'Splash Red Select' Hypoestes phyllostachya

This message was edited May 30, 2007 10:40 AM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Great ideas and photos everyone. I'll have to take some photos of mine when they fill out a bit and post them. Love the driftwood Pirl. Great idea!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Pirl, your driftwood and what you have done with it are outstanding.

Here is a pink pot I put together about a week ago. It needs a few weeks to fill in but I love all the different shades of pink and gold and rust.

There is Phormium Maori Sunset, Cordyline Keeley's Gold, Acalypha Chocolate Thunder and Oxalis Molten Lava.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

don't ya just love this thread!!!! Pretty caladiums.......ardesia...you forgot your picture (LOL)

UniQue - stupendous job with the pots of caladiums - now you've got me thinking since I have planted five pots of different ones. YOU have to be a candidate for Pamela Harper's book, Color Echoes. You can probably buy it, used, for $10.00. It's all about color harmonies and you've proven how well you can do it by your photos.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you Pirl. I checked on Amazon this looks like a wonderful book to have. I have at least a dozen gardening books that I don't ever look at. I used to sell books on Amazon and the gardening books were one genre that I kept when I sold over 2500 books. You've inspired me to crack them open to see what I have there. Probably all kinds of ideas right there in my bookcase! HAHAHAHA

When I started doing the gardens in the containers I became a kid in a candy store whenever Connie and I would visit any place that sells plants. I like bold colors the best. I consider them getting the biggest bang for my buck! :-)

This is an awesome thread for ideas. I recently bought 2 heavy duty wrought iron square hanging planters on clearance at Lowe's for $5 each. They need coconut liners. I've been trying to imagine where I will put them and what I'll put in them. I figure with the money I saved on the planters, I can get some really pretty plants to put in them. I don't have much in the way of grasses. Seeing the photo Revclaus posted toward the top of this thread makes me want to try that out. I have some ornamental millet that I started from seed that is still in it's infantile stages. Now would be a great time to plant that. I'm trying to remember how tall it gets.

I love Grammy's tipped over pots. I'm going to be moving a cactus/succulent garden and think when I do, I'll tip some of those containers.

Janet

Perilla 'Magellanica', Tilt-a-whirl coleus, a few other unknown coleus, chartreuse sweet potato vine.

This message was edited May 30, 2007 10:43 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well DUH, that is how things are going for me lately. LOL
Here it is (I hope)

Thumbnail by ardesia
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Man! That is Beeeeeeuatiful!

ardesia - well worth the wait!! It's a really nice combo!!

Beaumont, TX

Oh Wow! Love the driftwood! These are all beautiful combos!

I have two I'm proud of. THis is the one I built for in front of the greenhouse. The geraniums have not stopped blooming. :)

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX

This one is a couple weeks old. Doing very well. I just moved it today to the center of a round bed on an old bird bath base the top got broken on. I cut a piece of cedar to fit it's top then a hole in the middle of that to fit over the "Hump" the top rested on.

Beaumont, TX

From a different angle and further back.

Ardesia - great job. You should look at Pamela's book, too, since you're already doing it.

Maidintheshade - thanks for great photos and a terrific idea for my old birdbath with the hump in the middle. Love your windows and the box with the geraniums.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie, That looks great! I like it better there than over by the AC unit.

I may need to "borrow" one of those black magic EE's of yours to achieve this look. http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3545385

Janet

Beaumont, TX

Thanks pirl. That was a wild hair yesterday when I decided to move it. I've tried other planters "perched" on it precariously and decided it was time to come up with something a little steadier. I started to chip away at it then happened to have a cedar board 12 inches wide...Thanks to Janets (uniquetreasures) hubby. Perfect to cut and make a top for it. I used a empty big plastic planter that happened to fit over it upside down as a template for the top the a smaller one for the hole.

I think we gardeners are an ingenious group!

Beaumont, TX

I saw it ! That's exactly what this area needs to Pop! It looks wonderful!

I'll dig you up one up from the driveway side.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, stunning containers here. Some great ideas! Pirl that drifwood planter is fabulous. Can't wait to see more photos when it fills out. Morganc love the contrasting color combo you have with the darks and lime green. It's a beauty. grammyphoeb love those tipped over pots. I saw another cool idea on the same principal where you pound a length of rebar in the ground and "thread" terra cotta pots through the drain holes and tilt them to rest on each others rims. Those caladiums are so beautiful and bold. Love the little red splashed leaved ones also. Ardesia that a gorgous combo. Love, love, love it. Maidentheshade your combos are breath taking, so is your beautiful greenhouse! I put together a few containers today but haven't taken any pics yet, will have to do that. I never think to put together anything but the traditional little flowers, marigolds, petunias and such. Will have to try the caladiums and perenials and others that were shown here. My DH will have a cow if I plant another container! But deep down I know he enjoys them as much as I do, I catch him wandering around them admiring them and even watering them! Great thread!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.