Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This series, all topiaries, but, they are also containers, some are just weird>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A more traditional use for containers>

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Dale, I take pictures wherever I go too. This is a window box I came across in Cape May, NJ, two weeks ago. It was so perfect for that quaint little village.

p.s. I love the way the parking garage looks with that russelia.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This thread is awesome....now we good ole dale joining us!!!!
Love that container, ardesia...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

KatG - I'm so sorry I misssed your pig post. He's adorable but then I love pigs and have many (decorating pigs not real ones). Wouldn't your pig look cute carrying one of those railing planters over his back? They bloom on both sides, if you've never seen one.

Ardesia - put a pot inside of the cast iron with rocks under the pot. If you grow a few varieties of sedum in the inside pot you shouldn't have to water that much.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Pril, good idea, thanks. My primary concern would have been too much water in the pot but seeing as we haven't had any rain in 2 months that should not be a problem this year. :-)))

Actually, I am emptying out the attic and these old iron pots will be put top good use in the garden. They were the sort of thing I saved in case we ever had a hurricane and had to cook on the grill for a while. It has finally occurred to me that if we do have a severe storm I won't be here to cook anyway and my grill will probably have been blown to Kansas.

It's a fact of life that once you use it for plants you'll need it for something else. I love the window box you posted.

I love this thread for the imaginative ways we amateurs create beauty out of a few plants and some imagination. Plants of professional gardens are grand but really not quite what I intended this thread to be.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Where's the photos?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl -

ESP is right. However did you guess?

I really really prefer container gardening now... I can move them from the sun to the shade and back as appropriate. I can, from a wheelchair, actually move the container up to where I can work on it, then back down to the garden. I can get dirt under my fingernails without falling out of the wheelchair! Some years I like combinations, some years singles... [Could I wintersow boxwood?]

The best part is that I can control the soil. I'm in the middle of a neighborhood - at the very top of the street, where there are views, the houses are old and huge, but at the bottom of the street, where I live stuff has been washing down into my yard for 150 years. So, I'm not all that keen on the local soil.

It's barely June (on this side of the dateline) and everything in the garden is going bananas! Just think when some of those containers start to fill out a little more!

xxxx, Carrie

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

BetsyBug, great minds think alike..... I potted one up just about like yours!

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Here's another one of mine that I recently planted.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

And another....

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Another one..... my shade container.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Some of my containers and the garden bench / container my DH made for me.

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Last picture ..... The other side of the garden bench. Still working on a few other containers. I'm addicted, can't pass up a garden center without "just a quick look around" and another car load of plants! Then of course I always have an odd plant that just didn't fit quite right in any of the containers I was planting so have to run back to the garden center and pick up a few companion plants for that one. And so on and so on and so on......

Thumbnail by staceysmom

Very nice work, Carrie and Staceysmom.

Keep up the good work everyone and show off the containers you created yourselves. I have to take a bit of an absence but will return in time, even if only to lurk.

Ardesia - look for an invitation in your Dmail.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I have a couple that I'd like to share. I have always been a "lurker" on here.

Thumbnail by n2birds

One of my old Blue Angel Hostas.
One of these days the pot is gonna burst.

Thumbnail by n2birds

A couple caladiums.

Thumbnail by n2birds
Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Nice job everyone. Every time I check the thread the containers are more beautiful and it makes me want to go back to the nursery but I've run out of containers and room!!!! Staceysmom your DH certainly is a dear to build that container bench - good craftsmanship.

Love Begonias !

Thumbnail by n2birds

Last but not least - my pot of sedums.

Thumbnail by n2birds
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Epcot flower show>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Birds>nice pot collection (plants too)

Epcot flower show>

Thanks Dale - but you sure are putting me to "shame" lol. Sure wish I was in Tampa right now.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Brids, these are not my containers, they are done by pro's for the Epcot flower show>

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

n2, those are spectacular & right up my alley. i'm much into monochromatic schemes.
i'd better keep your plants; you obviously have no need of 'em.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

dale, do you have any of your own?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a couple half dead geraniums in pots.

Epcot flower show>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is my potted plant collection>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is photo I took in Feb of my front steps. Keep in mind I live in the tropics, your summer plants are my winter plants, my summer plants are your houseplants.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Summer flowers>plumeria, down the street, mine aren't this big, yet.

OMG - Dale - that is beautiful !! You ARE holding out on us.
And at least you can keep geraniums alive - that is 1 that I just don't have any luck with.

Thanks Summer --- you see I love shade gardens - so I do NEED (lol) those ferns. I've been holding out buying any this summer, because I can't even remember what I ordered from the coop.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

i can send you LOTS of extras!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You know I "hate" people like you, n2birds who can grow rex begonias that pretty.....wish I knew the secret. Your containers are real eye catchers!!!

dale, glad you joined with the Epcot flower show............love that pot of Angelonias!!!!

I am loving this thread.....always ONE more idea.....

I loved the idea of putting pots of geraniums amongst planted geraniums. Gives them more dimension.

Thanks gessie - but the summer time is easy for me on the rex's. It's the winter I struggle with them. I should show you one that I have in my "hospital" area that I've had 2 yrs. :-( Love them and just can't help buying them every year for their beautiful foilage. I am more about foilage that blooms.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am certainly that way also, n2birds.......whether it is the gessie family or plants in general......the prettier the foliage the more apt I am to buy!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.