Photos of container gardens

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

grammy,

Where did you get your BESV (from the other thread...)? Here's my old wheelbarrow - this year we're looking good so far.

xxx, Carrie

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And here's Connie's wire basket on the bird bath pedestal.

Edited: One of the plants is missing from the label. This photo has been corrected in the next post. Thanks. J

This message was edited May 29, 2007 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Well Dernit, I forgot one of the plants in that last photo. So here it is with them all.

Sorry bout that Connie. Whip me, Beat me, Make me write bad checks! HAHAHA

Janet

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Guys! It helps to know what we're looking at!

Thanks, Guys! It helps to know what we're looking at! P.S. There's no Bat Face Cuphea in the plant files so could ya'll post a pic of one?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I thought the same thing GymGirl. Then I found this one http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2033/index.html

Here's my photo of the Bat-Face Cuphea.

Edited to add: Sometimes you just need to change the way a word "looks" before plant files finds it. There are sooooooooooo many plants in there. Try different parts of the plant name you are looking for (especially if you just KNOW it oughta be there!) and then scroll through the pictures until you find the one you are looking for.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 2:30 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

In case you are looking for that plant for your own garden, Zone 9 Tropicals has it there in Houston.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hello all,
I just found this tread today. You guys are amazing! So talented a group! Please keep them pics. coming.
Kim

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

Gymgirl - so sorry!! You're right. It doesn't do much good but provide a pretty picture to look at if you don't know what the names are. I will try and edit mine tonight after my grandson goes home!! Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. This hanging basket has tequilla sunrise million bells and red million bells and both are Proven Winners. I got this idea from the Proven Winners website.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't read the entire thread, but how in the world are you putting those names below the plants in such a beautiful way??? Is this some site you are using or are you just a computer genius????

Beaumont, TX

Thanks Janet!

Thank you vossner.I have scrappy lengths of PVC leftover from home improvements so I have lots of sizes to choose from. At first I tried to think of plants to put in those containers that would only have a single stem.Then... I remembered an incident last year with another of my favorite huge terra cotta pots that had a tree hibiscus in it. A lesson I had to learn the hard way. The tree had gotten so big I needed to put it in the ground. When I got ready to unpot it, I realized the flared out sides and narrower neck of the terra cotta pot were going to make it impossible without breaking the pot. No way was THAT happening. I love that pot! So I stuck a knife down thru the soil all the way around to sever it's roots in a cylindrical manner then laid on the ground with my feet grasping the sides of the planter with the pot between my legs and pulled with all my might by the trunk till it slid out. Man... I was so thankful Janet was not there with her camera. 8^)

No way was I going thru that again !

Something we might mention is that the plants in the container need to have similar needs...light and water... for them to be successful. Or be willing to sacrifice blooms for foliage if most need semi shade unless they can handle either.

Beaumont, TX

I started doing container combo's before I knew that was what I was doing. I had some big planters that had one plant in them and I despised seeing all the dirt and I thought what a waste of space! SO I poked some portulaca in there...then pinched off some coleus that was getting leggy and needed somewhere to put them. SO I stuck those in there too. And I have so little area and wanted to do so many plants.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Not a problem Connie. You did the identifying, I just cut and pasted it.

Gessie, I use a program called Photofiltre. It's free to download it from photofiltre.com. It works just like most of the other editing programs, with the exception of not being able to work in layers. The Photofiltre Studio will allow layers, but it was only good for 30 days. I'm a cheapo and hate to spend money on programs. I've had it for several years and haven't found much I couldn't do with it.

I labeled my little truck and trailer. Thanks to Plant Files for the info to do that.

Is that a Tasmanian Tree Fern?!!! I have one of those. I LOVE it. That baby cost $$, and I thought I lost it over the winter. Silly me. Until I researched and found out that it actually PREFERS the cooler temps, quite unlike our regular ferns. I'm thinking I might even bring it indoors when the temps get scorching here. It really did well in the cooler temps.

Beaumont, TX

Yes. Either that or Australian. I am not sure which because it had no tag. It's gotten even bigger this year! I found it at Lowes looking decrepid and fried and asked the manager if it was going to be sent to death row. I'd seen them elsewhere as big for 75 bucks and thought oh well...I'll never have one. I knew it had a huge crown but no fronds to tell how big it was going to be, She marked it down to 12.99 and I snatched it up quick.
I was tickled to death.
I learned here recently that I need to water the furries on the crown too and not just the dirt. It has a small tree growing over top of it so it's only getting filtered sun and evening sun now and the fronds are staying beautiful. I am thinking I need to put it in the ground this year.

Oh Boy!! I'll have a huge empty pot! Plant shopping!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Maiden,

Yeah, I also started doing mixed containers without knowing it. I had a Delphinium 'butterfly Blue' or somesuch in a pot and it looked lonely so I added a ground cover. That was years ago. I never divided or fed or watered the delphinium and it finally had enough of me!

And isn't that 'Tequila Sunrise' great? I have one too.

xx, Carrie

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

You guys' containers are incredible! Are you ready for some amusement? These don't compare to yours, but believe me, they're better than last year's first attempt.

First up is grapefruit mint, Gerbera daisies that only have buds on them, and of course vinca.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

This is ornamental millet, coleus whose name I've forgotten, and Firecracker Fuschia. I like the colors, but the shape is kind of funky.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Beaumont, TX

oooooooooo love those crocks McGlory! I betcha when those daiseys start blooming that'll look terrific ! Just needs a little temporary color. Since I'm one of those instant gratification impatient kinda people I'll poke something tall and colorful in there until they do what I know they will. If you know what colors they'll be when they bloom you could pick a coleus in that family so it'd be able to stay there afterwards. I love them packed full even if I have to remove something later.

That second one already looks good and will be great when it fills out ! I just stuck some ornamental millet I grew from seeds into a container in the front today. It's not tall yet (only about 8 inches) so I still needed something in there tall to hold the fort until it does reach on up there and doesn't bugg me. :)

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone,

I just wanted you to know that I've been looking at all your containers, and they are just beautiful. All of you are so talented. I use a lot of pots in my garden, but I usually they just consist of one type of plant. I LOVE mixed containers, but have always shied away from making them myself.

Well, I finally swallowed my fears, and planted some potted herb gardens. Here is one of them. The other two look ok, but I'm not as proud of them as I am of this one...I took a smaller pot, and buried it in a large hanging pot. I planted rosemary, basil, chives, and lemon thyme (though you can't see it in this picture) in the top pot, then surrounded it with purple and golden sage, a couple sprigs of chives at the sides, and some creeping thyme trailing down the front. it's not the work of an experienced container gardener, but I'm pretty proud of it.

Thumbnail by jdee
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

That 's a great idea...kitchen garden in a pot...or two! Looks good and is practical to boot!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

jdee,

I love it! I bet it smells heavenly and I can see that it's delicious! :-)

Clever idea, putting the pot in a pot! :-)

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I love your herb garden. I have one in a pot too. I just have parsley and chives though. Yours has a panoply of scents and uses. Looks as good as any professional would do. It'll be fun to watch!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you guys for this thread. I am novice gardener with my first real yard and lots of leftover containers I am dying to use and you've inspired me so much! There are several little goodies that were left out in the workshop (particularly some old signs) and I'm trying to figure out how to work them into a display.

And thanks for the names and tips, too. I wish I could bring you with me to the nursery!!

Quoting:
I think we gardeners are an ingenious group!
Nope, not me but you all are.

Pirl, I loved your log in the first post so much that I am going to print it out for my husband and tell him that's what I want for my birthday! Just out of curiosity, did you seal the inner cavity with anything before you planted in it?

That is one of the most natural planters I have ever seen and it will work very well over here. I am so glad you started this thread.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The credit for the thread belongs to gessiegail who urged me to do it but thanks anyhow.

No, I didn't seal the driftwood at all - not inside or outside. I found it on a nice January day while walking one of our beaches and then DH and I went up with a borrowed truck to get it. I had been in physical therapy for a shoulder problem for many weeks and this thing was not exceptionally heavy but awkward. The next day I told the PT what I had done and how much better my arm and shoulder felt. It changed his course of treatment and I was done with PT in four weeks.

We've become gardening friends of the auto station and the one guy asked me if I could leave it to him in my will. I didn't know gardening could make one look so ready for the grave!

No beeches with driftwood on them for the taking for me here. I guess we'll have to improvise.

Tee he, leave it to someone in a will! What a very high compliment if you think about it.

My reaction, exactly!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

That driftwood has a history too, I wonder where that tree grew and how it wound up on a LI beach. Who knows how far it came to rest in Pirl's garden.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pirl,

I'm not sure I knew you had beachES. You have more than one beach? Can you swim in them? Are they really topless?

xxx, Carrie

I often wonder about the history of the tree and who climbed it as a child and how long it was in the water to be so totally hollow.

Carrie! Out here we're mostly "senior citizens" and nude beaches would NOT be attractive, to say the least! They might be good for a few laughs though. We have 14 beaches and boat ramps (DH and I do not have a boat nor do we want one) and yes, we could swim at every beach if we wanted to but we use them for searching for driftwood or going up to feed the seagulls, especially in winter, and for watching the osprey and their young.

We're at the green "baloon" on this Google map.

Thumbnail by pirl
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The north prong of LI where Pirl lives is one of the most beautiful spots in the country (but don't tell anyone) you hear a lot about the Hamptons but it is the north shore that catches my eye. It has always seemed a lot like the northern CA coast to me and now there are wineries on LI too. DH and I always talk about renting a little cottage in Greenport or someplace like that for a couple of weeks in the late summer/early fall.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You personally have 14 beaches? Or right nearby there are 14 beaches? (Confused, thought Pirl had a time-share in the Caribbean?)

xxxx, Carrie

Yikes! Now you've told everyone Ardesia! This is the "quiet" fork and we do love it here. Yes, we have 14 beaches in our town, which stretches from the tip of the island westward to Laurel, another pretty little town, but most of the beaches are very close to us and water is just across the street.

We "just say NO" to timeshares!

Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

in TX, everyone needs a boot in their garden...

(sorry, i jumped off the beaches topic!)

:)
abl

This message was edited May 31, 2007 1:11 PM

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

uniquetreasures,
looks like we used the same combo here!

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

we love coffee, so we had to get this giant mug for the patio...

btw, if anyone knows what type of begonia this is, please do tell!

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

was taking pics today for the coleus forum...i guess i can post them here too since they're containers!
:)

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

more coleus!

Thumbnail by abl_newbie
Spring, TX(Zone 9a)

coleus...

Thumbnail by abl_newbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.