Photos of container gardens

Beaumont, TX

I think so too pirl!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If your DH has a cow just think of the money that will roll in and then you can plant all the containers you want!

maidintheshade - we cross posted. Thank you and thank staceysmom. It was gessiegail who led me to do this thread.

Beaumont, TX

Thanks stacysmom. I did one of those stacked terra cotta things only it hangs. I used a steak that had been a candle holder I think. I had to put it in the vise to bend the end for a hook. Only thing I don't like about it is that the dirt wants to wash out when I water so I have to be really gentle.

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Just in case you all didn't realize it already, maidentheshade is Connie, my sister/best friend that I referred to earlier in this thread. :-) We love to shop for plants and can make up just about any excuse to head to the nurseries. :-)

This photo is from last year. Someone gave me this container planted with tiny roses and Gerber daisies. This year, I've added a couple of roses that I got at the fall roundup in College Station. Everything's come back this spring and is still blooming!

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX

You know, something else containers make me think of that Janet said I ought to tell the container forum about. I have some HUGE pots that have small openings that I got at thrift stores. Way too much soil it would take to fill so I found a scrap of PVC pipe that fit the opening and cut it off to the height then inserted it and filled just that with soil. I was afraid that if I planted something I would NEVER get it out without breaking the pot later should I need to change the soil or even if it ...heaven forbid... died.. So this works out wonderful.

Beaumont, TX

And another.

Those tipped pots would be great for growing non seeding invasives like mint.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Pack the top with sphagnum moss so the dirt stays where you put it. :-)

This photo is daytime in front of Connie's greenhouse. Hard to believe that the greenhouse was just a wild hair back in November. Connie built the greenhouse almost completely by herself. This yard used to belong to her dog. It was wasted real estate. Though I love Riley dearly, I'm so pleased Connie has re-acquired her land back. :-)

Beaumont, TX

The upsidedown lamp. :)

Beaumont, TX

Good idea Janet!!!

I have a lampshade (minus the fabric) to hold a Baptisia upright. I used earth staples to pin it into the ground.

Beaumont, TX

Ingenious pirl! Why not?
That lamp had felt covering over the bottom so the large hole was already there and already a drain hole once I took out the guts and turned it upside down.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

maidentheshade your yard is beautiful!!!! Looks sooooo inviting. That is a gorgous greenhouse. Love the windows. Such talent! Never thought of hanging the tipsy pots. Great idea. UniQue treasures that pot of roses and gerbers looks so healthy and lush.

Beaumont, TX

Thank you stacysmom. I am so proud of the way it turned out. And the yard is coming along too. I still have about have again as much beyond where the patio is but haven't gotten to it yet. But the plants block the hideous view while I sit and have my coffee. I have an inkling to do a water feature so that is causing a delay on getting that area going. I don't want to get a wild hair and then have to uproot things.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you staceysmom. For many years, I had tried and tried to grow Gerber Daisies and failed them miserably. When my brother in law brought me that planter, it was already filled with what you see there. I parked it there by the deck so it wouldn't get such blaring sun and it's done remarkably well. Those roses bloomed all summer long and I enjoyed learning how to use my camera on those petite roses.

I took this photo of one of the roses this afternoon between showers of rain.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

They bloomed earlier and then went kaput! I didn't prune them back in the fall, so I pruned them after the kaput. So much new growth is on them and the blooms are going to be gorgeous! This is the most color I've seen since I pruned them back. I don't know what the name of this rose is. There are 3 kinds in that pot. New Dawn, Martha's Vineyard and whatever this one is.

Janet

Awe, such a perfect, pretty little rose. Love the rain drops. You captured it so beautifully. Lovely color too.

Gorgous yard and greenhouse, coffee, water feature.....now that's my idea of the pefect place to spend the morning. Aaaaahhhhhh.

"after the kaput" too funny.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I didn't know what else to call it. I knew you all would get the "picture" I was trying to convey. :-)

I was really pleased with that photo.

I had 2 hibiscus blooms today. I'd love to put those babies in a container with some other things but haven't figured out just what yet. :-)

I also have a Japanese Maple that I potted in a huge container. I need to get some "companions" in there for him too. I need to find just the right plants for that one so he will be the "star of the show". :-) The rainy weather prohibited me from playing in the dirt today like I really wanted to.

This is my Rum Runner Hibiscus

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

And Sun Showers Hibiscus

I can plant these in the ground, but want something complimentary to go with them. Suggestions are welcome.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is a hanging chair that we're donating to sell at the Austin garden show this weekend.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And this is a tall galvanized planter (Ikea) with a little of everything

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I Love that!

I used to have a chair similar to yours hanging on my wall in the dining room because I just didn't have room for it. It hung there for many years. I wonder what ever happened to it. It never looked quite as pretty as yours though. Gives me ideas! Thanks!!!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK Folks. I have a question. I bought only one chartreuse sweet potato vine. I've never grown these before. Can I get cuttings from it to make other planters? It's getting pretty long now.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks.....This is just a little cheap chair from Mexico that had a rush seat that rotted out. We have quite a few "urban dwellers'' in Austin that don't have a lot of room for a garden. Figure the chair can hang on a patio wall.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Your choice of plants is awesome Bigbubbles. Really pretty color combos. There is a triangular plant on the bottom left of the second photo. What is that? It's so unusual.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Pink or purple?

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been going to this site several times a day and I'm awed each time. You guys are so talented. I love the caladiums. I think I'll try some for next year - my DH will shoot me if I go near another nursery to buy plants this year!!
This container has a yellow lantana, lobelia, and trailing blue bacopa.

This message was edited May 29, 2007 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

grammy - is that one of the plastic pots you sprayed? I tried it on a long planter and it was so quick and easy that I'd be buying more paint except we still have hundreds of DH's seedlings to get in the ground.....and dahlias......and so many pots of coleus, etc.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I apologize bigbubbles. My brain thought bottom RIGHT corner, but my fingers typed bottom LEFT. It's almost an eggplant colored clover looking plant.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I *LOVE* that idea for using a PVC pipe in those containers with narrow necks. What great ideas!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

pirl - That container is not sprayed. That is the original color. We can get a lot of green containers in this area and some maroon that are plastic besides the white and teraccotta.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

The purple is oxaylis (shamrock)....the rain has taken it's toll on it this week...
As for 'right/left'.....tickled me this morning! I get 'em mixed up all the time.... I'm terrible giving directions too!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG Thank all of you for your lovely comments. And all your beautiful pictures....I'm getting so many new ideas for containers. This site is such delicious fun.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

STOP, PLEASE!!!

Before this thread gets too long, could I ask you (as a newbie) to please INCLUDE the names of the plants in your containers?

Thanks, in advance!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK GymGirl I agree, it's really nice to know the names of the plants that we see in the containers.

Here's one of mine. I just happened to look all of these up yesterday and am adding each container to my journal along with links to the plant files associated with each container. This is the only one I've done so far, but I plan on putting them all in there eventually. :-)

Beaumont, TX

I'm so sorry. I have a hard time remembering/knowing names myself so I think that is a wonderful idea.
In the one on the bird bath pedestal there's a piece of purple passion I found surviving in a pot I neglected to put in the greenhouse in the mad dash before a freeze, a heuchera "silver scrolls", bat faced cuphea and since it had red and purple flowers I added the red salvia and some red begonias poked in there. There's also two pieces of bright green speckled coleus in there but they're short so it's hard to see them yet. For hangydown there's a little peperomia (P. acuminata) and here and there a piece of giant white blooming portulaca.

In the cedar is geraniums, alyssum , dusty miller, moneywort and lamium for hangydown, some of the giant white portulaca. I just had to look up the lamium...couldn't remember for the life of me what it was called and found there is a gorgeous purple one called beacon silver!!!

EDIT: And some coleus ....you'll have to answer which one that is Janet. :)

This message was edited May 29, 2007 12:37 PM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

wow, totally excellen thead. Pirl, I love the driftwood planters, love the PVC trick for large pots and the hanging chair. You guys are so imaginative!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

OK Here's Connie's Windowbox Cedar Planter, complete with names

Edited for typo

This message was edited May 29, 2007 1:30 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.