Snowrose started a thread about variegated foliage

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sarasota traffic island.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

WOW photos, dale.
I see Orbifolia (I love them grown as a shrub) and croton, also.
We don't have city plantings like that Sarasota traffic island..........thanks

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A photo>

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

that looks like an episcia??? Do you all put those outside in the ground???????

(Zone 1)

Wow! That is a Gorgeous Episcia ... and I've never seen them grown outside here in Florida, but who knows? In some areas they probably would do well!

Hey Gail ... I'm in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee! And, it's really pretty here in the Mountains! I just love it .... would love it if my hubby would agree to leave Florida and move here when he decides to retire! But, he's been in Florida since before he was a year old, so I don't think I could persuade him to live here - maybe in the summer, though! He says he's gonna retire in another 7 or 8 years, but I have a feeling he will work until he's 75 or 80! He is the only person I've ever met who truly LOVES his job!

Well ... gotta go, we're off to pick up his brother and wife to see the sights!

May get a chance to log on later, but if not, will chat when we return home at the end of the week!

p.s. I miss my plants! hee hee

Lin

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

The episcia was in a greenhouse.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, sorry i missed your post this morning!!!!! I am now to attached to leave my plants but I do remember the olden days when everyone packed their kids and spent the summers either in northern New Mexico or Colorado.....people still do that but I can not leave my baby plants anymore!!!! Think I kinda like getting old!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just remembered that I got a few variegated plants the other day from my very favorite nursery who grows all their own plant material.....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

OH, MY!!! The pinks of the one in the middle are *fabulous*!!
Are you planting those outdoors, gg?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes , Nan.....you have a dmail, Nan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will post pictures this week of the coleus that two different growers have here in Taft.............amazing as I just got back from Helen's and forgot my memory card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep them all over the house and still forgot....need to keep one in my small camera case!!!

Wal-Mart has some beautiful **different** coleus this year-velvety-like, huge leaves.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Nan, it just dawned on me that you probably can't grow coleus in zone 4 in the summer, can you???

Claremont, NC

I would like to ask a question about the variegated spath. I have one and would like to put in one of those vases for beta fish (but without the fish).
Do you think that would work?

Thanks,
Sandi

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have heard of the syngonium growing in water but i don't know about variegated spath....sorry, maybe someone else will know.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Supposedly Spaths are great for growing hydroponically.
You might want to do a search for Hydroponic growing/Spathiphyllum or something to that effect.
If the plain Spath is good for growing that way, the variegated one *has to* be! lol!
Maybe that's the key to growing one well.
I used to have terrible luck with Spaths in general....they'd look good for about a year then go downhill....... but I've stopped watering them with our 'limey' water, and they're much happier.

GG, oh yeah!
Coleus are grown all over the place here in the summer. Most popular in containers, but have seen some planted in-ground, as well.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

great, Nan....I will be posting pictures soon......

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hmmm

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Things that make you go hmmm.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

dale, what are you going hmmmmmm about???? I have been taking pictures this morning of a friend's coleus in her nursery...and going to another one Saturday that has the best selection....you are a "mess" and we love you....
want to see something variegated?? here is a variegated new duranta at my friend's nursery

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is called Asian Jasmine
Trachelospemam asiaticum 'Ougon-Nishiki'
She won't sell it to me as she is going to propagate it.....but the tag says grown by Hines...they are out of Houston in Fulshear so I know that anyone can buy it in nurseries in Houston..especially they supply Home Depot in Houston....
I want it!!! I want it!!!!

PS...the card on it says it is beautifully grown in between shrubs or as a container plant inside or outside...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

GG,

Here is a Trachelospemum I am trying this year, it is very different http://yuccado.com/displayone.php?ytitle=Trachelospermum%20asiaticum%20%27Theta%27 and its variegated.

this is not a jasmine>

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That is a really pretty needle like leaf, dale.....thanks....I keep thinking that I am going to get to Austin to Yuccado nursery.....haven't made it yet....
I hope no one gets upset that I am posting a picture of my friend who loves to grow hoyas and Epiplyllam (sp?)
This one is called Space Rocket

PS....that caladium is might 'purty'

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

GG - Yucca Do is in Bryan, that is quite a hop from Austin.

Gingerland is my favorite 'white' caladium.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, bummer!!! I thought it was near Austin!!!!
That looks like a plumeria?????
My favorite caladium for pots is 'Little Miss Muffet' and for the sun, my favorite is 'White Queen' for the Texas heat....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Great photos, GG and dalea, as always!

That 'needle-leaf' jasmine is the COOLEST!!
I might have to try it sometime in the future.
Have you had yours long, dalea?
What's your opinion of it so far?

GG, your friend is a lovely lady with a beautiful smile....and a beautiful Epi bloom!

(Zone 1)

Things that make me go: Ooooooooh! I want one of each!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Here are some Rex Begonia's I found at WalMart.

Lana

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A most favored plant - Caladium humboldtii, sun or shade, best in some shade.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope that some of us are home this weekend on DG!!!!

I can't take any new pictures now as it is sooooooo dark outside....been raining all day and expect anywhere from 3 to 10" tomorrow....I hope only 3" as the farmers will lose their crops with 10"

This isn't variegated but the blooms are white...i took this 2 weekends ago at my daughter's house in New Braunfels...the fragrance wouldn't let me leave the patio!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

GG, I am old and I am always home.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale, that is gorgeous!!!! Now you have me thinking....I have to be careful what I plant on the ground around the house because of rattlesnakes finding refuge in plant material............gee, I could take the east side of the house and do almost exactly what these people have done!!

PS...laughing at you.....I am old, too and I am always home!!!!!! I go to see my kids and grands as often as I can.....but it is hard to find anyone to take care of the plants the right way....

Here is a pretty hoya.....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

hee hee .... I am kinda, sorta, old ..... sometimes! :) And ..... I'm home most of the time!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Alright Lin....WTG!!!! Look at all you are propagating.....I am, too....the shelves are full and I still have lots of propagating to do!!!! i even bought a used 4th gro-light stand and it is already full!!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

OK, dale, look what I have for you!!!!! The owner wouldn't let me buy it as it was part of the stock they are going to use....can't wait to have one...
I have never seen this color of graptophylum......known as caricature...

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am sooooo excited ....I gave away my only 'regular' caricature thinking I would find it anywhere....well, I did today and I snapped it up!!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

speaking of variegated plants....take a gander at this Hawaiian Tree Hibiscus....have you ever seen any prettier foliage?

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

ooooh, what Beauties Gail .... I had never even heard of Caricature Plant until seeing a pic posted here on DG a few months ago! I've never seen these in any Garden Center down here, unless maybe I just haven't noticed them before. Gotta look around sometime!

Love that Variegated Hawaiian Hibiscus too .... wonder what color the flowers are on that? It's really pretty.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

the owner said that it rarely blooms....that people buy it for the giant lush leaves....but look at a tree hibiscus that has a bloom to die for....Maybe I will go back and start adding to my hibiscus (I only have 5)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

GG, nice looking plants. You are a die hard shopper like I am :-) Croton>

Lin, they are around, try Boyton Botanicals-West Palm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.