My poor ZZ plant

Dalton, GA

I've had this maybe 5 or 6 years. That is a south facing window but my neighbors' house is fairly close. I probably forget to open the blinds too often. And I'm not sure I've ever fertilized it. My understanding is that it doesn't need fertilizer and doesn't need to be watered very often. I may have taken that to the extreme. Is the pot too small? What would you recommend?

Thumbnail by MomKZ
San Francisco, CA

Move it to a place with more light. It obviously needs more.
If there is no other place for it, it will survive, but not look any better. You could do two things to help it. Open the blinds. Blinds block a lot of the available light even if they are tilted “open”; pulling them all the way up lets in all the light. Get the plant lower in the room so it receives more of the sun’s rays.
I don’t care what you have been told; any plant in a pot will need feeding. Nutrients simply run out.
Summer is the time to water and fertilize. Be very conservative with water from Oct. to Apr.

Dalton, GA

Will do! Thank you, Vestia!

Dalton, GA

Ended up moving it to a corner of my front porch where there is no direct sun this time of year. I'll bring back in when it gets to be too cold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.