April daily weather; Meteor hits PA!

(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!

Wow - that is some seriously cold "páskahret" going around there in the eastern US ........ Deb I sure hope there won't be too much damage .....

Sharon - thanks for the link :-) It's a bit nippy down there in Florida too!

It's raining but not as windy as predicted, temp is 40°F - didn't freeze tonight.

Kelli - That is some gorgeous scenery! WOW! Love the mariposa lily too :-)

Hope you all have a great day and keep warm!

Rannveig

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we awoke to white roofs and 27 degrees.
Same temp as yesterday so we may be alright... at least till tonight.
It's supposed to hit 18 tonight.... Errrrrrrrrr!

I'll be bringing the Asiatic Lily Pots inside...
seems they have decided to Spring into the season...

Yes Rann we have a serious páskahret going in many areas.
It's not unusual in many areas and actually not that unusual here
The super warm temps though have tons of tender growth, flowers and buds WAY ahead of schedule.
We're scrambling! LOL!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric:

Quoting:
We're scrambling! LOL!

Ditto :-D Hauling pots back in -- again. Re-mulching, covering, etc, etc. Sigh. They're saying 26 tonight.

Deb

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wind chills are in the single digits, temps right now in the 20s and highs to be in the 30s with lots of wind. In other words, FREEEZING!!!!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It's 25º now after dipping into the mid-teens last night. I had around 6" of fresh snow on my truck this morning.The Lake Effect Snow warning ends tonight. It's a typical lake effect day here. One minute it's sunny, a couple of minutes later it snowing like crazy and a minute later it's doing both. I went on a little photo tour this morning.

Here are a few pics.......I ran across one of the local Amish spreading manure.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A closer view....

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Last years hay bales still fill the field.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Snow covers the rocks in the east branch of Conneaut Creek

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Trees reflect in the dark waters of a small stream...........

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Farm scene.........

early_bloomer

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous pictures, E_B!!

'Tis merely nippy here compared to you all. It's going to get down into the upper 30s tonight, which is quite cold enough for us, but not so cold as to be a danger to the plants. We are very grateful!

It is raining right now and the temperatures are dropping as the cold front wanders through. It's a good day to stay inside and color eggs - if I can remember how to boil them first. I don't like boiled eggs, so I haven't made them for... gosh, years! This year the bunnies are old enough to have fun coloring them, though. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 43 °F 6 °C
Dew Point 35 °F 2 °C
Humidity 73%
Pressure 30.36 in 1028.1 mb
Wind Speed 14 MPH 12 kts
Wind Dir N 360°
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks 0.03" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 48.9°F / 9.4°C

Kernville, CA

Hi There!

This morning some light clouds, little sun, and a beaver on the shore of the swim hole chewing on a branch.

Sidney: How does the boiler contribute to producing electricity? Our Kern river here has on of the steepest drops in the nation, where two power plants are located. And I believe the electricity in generated by water turning the turbines, and after that I get lost. (and I may be lost on the first part!) I'll tell my cat Tigger that you are tig welding! I'll tell my cat Pie that there is no such thing as pie welding! LOL

Rann: Thats neat that you were born there. My favorite fish is Icelandic cod. It runs about $11.00 a pound. Do you eat a lot of fish?

Kelli: I never visited the Santa Monica mountains. I guess I thought that it would be like the San Bernadino mountains and low elevation, which didn't appeal to me. I see now that SM mountains are different. Our hills are brown already.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It sure looks cold in PA, E_B.

Sharon, no, we don't gather plants. They're all in parks so it is against the law. The ecosystem could never stand that kind of pressure. However, we have sometimes taken plants or cuttings from non-native plants that we've found in the wild. I don't know if that is against the law or not, but usually they want rid of non-native plants unless they have some historical significance to the site. Also, if there was an abundance of seeds, it wouldn't be beneath me to take a couple. This year, I have acquired a century plant pup (non-native), two jade plant cuttings (non-native) and some seeds of California wild rose. O.K. I admit. I'm lawless. ;-)

Tigpie, the Santa Monica Mountains are more like the coast ranges, kind of like Big Sur but a little drier. April and May are the big wildflower months here.

Cloudy but decent weather.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 07, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
61 °F / 16 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 51 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s Variable

Another picture of Malibu Creek State Park. The brown plants are laurel sumac that froze in the winter.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli & E_B: Really enjoying your scenery today!
Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli.......It sure looks warm there. I really like the layers of peaks receding into the distance.

Marylyn............The Weather Channel map shows freezing temps almost all the way down to Mexico tonight.

We have had a bunch more snow here today and the Lake Effect Warning is now extended until 10:00 am tomorrow. The ground was warmed by the high temps of the last couple of weeks so the snow is melting and not piling up too badly. It was only a foot or so deep in the woods this morning and it's even less in my yard.

It might be cold..........but it could be worse!!!

early_bloomer

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

for Sunday:
Sunny along with a few clouds. High 51F. Winds W at 15 to 25 mph.
Sunday night:
Mostly clear skies. Cold. Low near 30F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

As usual, we are sort of insulated from the extremes by the Gulf of Mexico, E_B. In this case, it means we are slightly warmer than areas just west of here.

"Tonight Rain with sleet likely. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent. No sleet accumulations expected."

E_B, nice shot of the train and woman.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

E-B - beautiful pictures!

I've covered the plants that I have recently re-potted - just in case. Stay warm everyone - it's gonna be a cold one tonight!

Baxter update - it's been confirmed that he has lung fungus. He's on meds - goes back for a checkup in a month. Poor baby.

Now -
56.3 °F / 13 °C
Clear
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 16 °F / -9 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h from the WNW
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16

Freeze warning in effect from 4 am to 8 am EDT Sunday...
Tonight
Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the lower 30s inland... in the upper 30s coast. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Wind chills 27 to 32 in the late evening and overnight.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sharon: Poor Baxter! I hope he's all well very soon.
This is some crazy freeze for April. All the way to FLA!
I have a lovely box, bucket, and sheet farm going outside. :)
Deb

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pepper. She's a member of the camera club I belong to. I have another one where she is actually laying on the tracks.

Sharona...........I've never heard of a dog with lung fungus. Is it something that's more common in climates with high humidity?

Deb..........I covered a few things here too. I have several clumps of peonys that are spring favorites of mine. Some of them were 6-12" high. I covered them with large heavy pots. They are singles and are a really neat shade of pink. they kind of remind me of large poppies. I hope they make it. Can't find my photos of them but here's one from the web.

early_bloomer

My peonies are popping up too. Some will bloom this year and others I have a feeling may wait another year or two.

(Zone 3b)

Sunny - in the 40's, nearly 6:30pm... been gone sledding most of the day; we'll be taking our guests to the airport in Anchorage tonight; it's been a great visit and they were able to do and see many things over the quick 10 days here.
I thought I was on the wrong thread, seeing all the fresh snow all across the country made me look twice at the date>)
Out of time for now and will catch up soon....Happy Easter, all.
Snow's going fast.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And Nature comes full turn...
A Spring day and it's warmer in Alaska than in Ohio.... it was 31 at 6 PM here... lol

Happy Easter Kiska and All!
Glad your company had such a marvelous visit!

Frozen now but saved forever....
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm dreaming of a white easter???? What's wrong with this picture? I drove 560 miles in a little less than 9 hours. Got gas 2 times and had a cafe cooked hamburger.
Well, I was in and out of snow falls and finished packing Annie, my van, in a flurry of snow. Some spots it was only half a block visibility. The temps were from 22º to 32º, the sky almost always had a spot of blue. Well folks, its just plumb wacky weather.
Ric, I am definately on for one of those sundays. I wonder if any DGers will be displaying there?
Tig, the water in the boiler gets heated to steam and the steam turns the turbine and the turbine produces electricity. Many years ago I was a heavy equipment operator and I built huge gasoline pipelines and the worlds largest wind generator. I guess you could say I've always been into power. Indy, how about giving me some welding lessons?
Here, just south of Ric,
29 °F / -2 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 14 °F / -10 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the WSW
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1019 hPa
Windchill: 20 °F / -6 °C
BURR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark & Cold, The moon (nearly full) has finally shown itself. Could not find the camera software .... so I downloaded it and emptied the camera.

Since it is still the same cheap camera it does not do the red buds justice but here goes.

Timber Ridge rd. pic 1

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

pic 2

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

pic 3, I am amazed at how theses shots came out at 30 Mph.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

If someone had been coming up the other side of the road I would have been in trouble.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Everyone, please have a wounder full Easter.

Thumbnail by Dyson
(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone and Happy Easter! :-)

It's warming up again here - already 44°F at 9 am. It's overcast, there is a light breez - so glad the wind's calmed down from last night.

Those are some crazy temps all over - those late cold spells are a pain.

Tigpie - I like the cod too - but for some reason icelanders don't eat much of it although it's one of our main export products. We mostly eat haddock for some odd reason - don't like that nearly as much - my favorite is salmon. Iceland is traditionally a fishing nation and although the fishing industry is not as important now as it used to be it's still a big part of the economy. I try to have 2 fish meals a week - when I was growing up we ate a lot more fish ....... and I really hated it ..... ;-)

EB - wonderful photos! Since it's so darn cold the snow cover really is a blessing since it keeps the plants insulated ;-) It's a lot worse to get a bad freeze with no snow.

Deb - hope the sheets do their job. I'm afraid it would be a big mess if I tried that here - they wouldn't stay on the ground very long .......

Ric - nice hosta - hope they all make it!

Kelli - another gorgeous view!!

Kiska - glad to see the snow is melting! Some bare ground must be a welcome sight by now!

Have a wonderful day all!

Rannveig

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Dyson - love the redbud photos - especially the last one! What a sight :-)

Kernville, CA

Moonlit, Clear, 45 degrees

Sharon: Hope your dog recovers quickly. That sounds like it would be hard to treat.
E_B: You are a good photographer. I like your countryside.
Kelli: The furthest north I have been along the coast is Morro Bay.
Rann: Silver Coho is my favorite salmon. I bet you have a lot of types of fish there. Crab is my favorite seafood. Do you have the big crabs there? Refreshing Crocus!
Sidney: 560 miles in 9 hours with 2 burger stops = 80 miles per hour LOL I'm too afraid to go that fast. Oh- I thought fuel to make steam for electricity would be too costly. I'm trying to guess a real windy place that would be the location of the largest wind generator. Give me a clue.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sidney we were planning on the first Saturday but the first Sunday works just as well.
Glad you made it up here...Sorry the weather sucks! lol

The cloud cover held solid last night so the temps held steady around 30 here.
Yea!
Looks like tonight may be a repeat so it appears we have seen the worst of the freeze.
Rannveig the minni hosta will be fine.... they are stacked up on the Hot Tub lid where it's a balmy 43 degrees this morning...lol

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Tigpie - we don't have any big crabs or lobsters here - just small lobsters, but those are my favorite seafood ;-)

Ric - glad to hear the worst is over - cloudcover can be a good thing! ;-)

Our decorated easter branches - the girls have painted most of the eggs in years past - didn't get around to making any new ones this year.

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Easter, everyone! I need to get the bunnies up for church, so this is going to be quick... :-)

It's a really cold day in Texas when Alaska has the same temps! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (13 min ago)
Temperature 40 °F 4 °C
Dew Point 36 °F 2 °C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.28 in 1025.5 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir NNE 30°
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 33 °F 1 °C
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 37.9°F / 3.3°C

(Zone 5a)

Hildur Eva and her easter egg - we have chockolate easter eggs filled with goodies and (most importantly) a proverb. Everyone has to get at least one - just for the proverbs so they come in all sizes ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Awwww! I'm sure this will be my favorite Easter picture. What a beautiful child!
Pati

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pati :-)

Brunch anyone?

It's turning out to be a very nice day here - the sun's even peeking through the clouds so I'm going to try to get the gang outside to work up an appetite for the american pancakes we'll be having later today - it's become our easter tradition after we moved back home. Hardly ever make them except on easter :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Reporting Station KROA
Weather/Sky Few Clouds
Temperature (°F) / (°C) 32 / 0
Dewpoint (°F) / (°C) 10 / -12
Relative Humidity 40 %
Wind (mph) Variable 7
Gusts (mph) Not Reported
Visibility (miles) 10
Ceiling (feet) Unl
Heat Index (°F) / (°C) 32 / 0
Wind Chill (°F) / (°C) 26 / -3
Barometric Pressure (inches) 30.09 and Falling
6hr Min Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 28 (°F)
6hr Max Temp (recorded 00-6,6-12,12-18 or 18-00 UTC/Z) 31 (°F)
Yesterday's Low Temp 28 (°F)
Yesterday's High Temp 39 (°F)

Experiment w/copy - paste thing, sorry for the guinea pig.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.