April daily weather; Meteor hits PA!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Chinese houses - These are "supposed" to have multiple whorls of flowers, like a pagoda, but it's been a dry year so we just get one partial whorl.

Thumbnail by Kelli

canyon sunflower

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli........looks like things are blooming nicely out there. I'm moving "sticky monkey" to the top of my list of favorite flower names. Those radishes look tastey. I used to have a vegetable garden here but haven't planted one since I returned from vacation to find the neighbor kids had pulled up everything and left it in a box in the woods.

adinamidi............the daffodils and forget-me-nots look great together.

tigpie...........It's just like you remember it. Seems we get one of these late storms every year.

Sharona......the Amaryllis look great.

Snowy and 27º here tonight with some gusty winds. No better or worse then most of the NE U.S. I covered my peonys with some large, heavy pots. I hope they make it.

Went to the grocery in the next town this afternoon. Here's a shot of main street with some lake effect blowing through.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ouch ! might want to see if kiska can spare you a moose or two ?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad the snow missed us. I am glad to see all the green grass around here.

I remember when I lived in PA, it snowed on Easter more often that it snowed on Christmas.

alligator lizard - Click on it. The thumbnail doesn't show his head.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2007 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

I miss white x-mases. I have seen a few though not many.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We got a few snow squalls but nothing stuck...sunny windy and cold though...
We're getting Forecasts ranging from 17-28 for the Lowest Temp so it's anybodies guess...
I've protected what I can... Nature can sort out the rest.....

This Kerria unfortunately has no fragrance.
Not sure about the single as wisely it's still dormant.... lol

Ric

I remember one white Christmas and it was bitter cold. It was the only time my parents let us miss church because of the weather.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Dyson, line dried bed sheets are the best!
Kelli, love the radishes and all the wild poseys.
Sharon, that is got to be just like the amaryllis Frank says is in my front bed.
tigpie, please forgive my manners and welcome.
Adina, great to see you again.
EB, Burrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Ric, Burrrrrrrrr!
Pepper, Burrrr!
rann, get well real soon.
Kiska, close the south gate and see if you can keep this weather up there.
Tomorrow I pack and head to Rabbit Hatch, Ky for 4 to 6 weeks of 6-10s.
Hope it starts warming up soon.
Sidney

Is that 6AM to 10PM? If so, UGGGHHH!!!!

There are more flowers but I'm spreading them out so I don't look so hoggish.

owl's clover

Thumbnail by Kelli

tidy tips

Thumbnail by Kelli

blue dicks - That's what they're called. The foliage belongs to something else.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, my "need rain" obsession is now replaced by my "dreading the freeze" obsession!
Cruel joke for April. :(
Deb

No Kelli, LOL
It's six days a week and 10 hours a day.
I usually work nights, but had to take days or be there tomorrow night.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sidney,
What in the world are you doing in Rabbit Hash? LOL!
That's about 30 minutes from us...
Our friend Sue's Family run the store there...
We'll HAVE to hook up while you're up here.
The weather will soon be turning and you more than welcome to pop up and tour our huge (LOL!) Estate.
Our maybe tour the Arboretum or Big Bone Lick Park....

Ric

(Zone 3b)

How very interesting this day has been down there. Sorry for the loss of the plants that will take place, though. Sidney, sorry I didn't shut the gate quick enough, but it was time to share this last blast of winter. 6/10's sure sounds like it would be very tiring.
It's a very sunny 8 pm, temp in the low 40's, and snow continues to drip off the north side.
Kelli - loved all the flowers; skimmed past the other.
tigpie - glad you like the driveway - it's going to get pretty messy and muddy in the next few weeks.
Deb - hope you don't get a freeze and loose what's blooming already.
Adina - the cherry tree is gorgeous. Are you ready to start construction on the house? How exciting to planning a new home.
The side and backyard, yesterday.
Kiska
edited to change time; computer time was one hour off.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2007 9:25 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone! Today is another sunny and cold day - fortunately the wind's fairly calm. It froze again last night but it's up to 35°F now.

EB - nice photo although it's a bit of a bummer to get all that snow in april. We call those kind of late snow storms "Páskahret" - easter storms - and yours is right on time! ;-)

Kelli - I forgot to comment on your gorgeous rose earlier - I have no words - just gasps of admiration (and a bit of envy I must admit too ;-) lol) Love all the wildflowers - especially the sticky monkey flower and tidy tips :-)

Adina - so nice to see you again! Love the cherry blossoms and is that forsythia there in the background? Glad to see Boss is happy with the move - I wish you best of luck! Where are you staying while your new house will be built??

Sharon - beautiful amaryllis :-)

I got to do a bit of digging in the dirt yesterday - moved a few roses and bushes around - boy was that fun! lol Strange how a bit of digging in dirt can lift your spirits ...... lol

My iris reticulata are flowering - this is Katherine Hodkins- she's the best of the reticulata irises here - stood unaffected through snow and frost last spring :-) The blue ones are real whimps in comparison..... lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Adina – Awwww sweet snoozin’ Boss! I’m glad he has adapted well to the change.
Pepper – your high on Sunday will be our low!
Kelli – I’m loveing the flowers and also “sticky monkey”!! That’s hilarious! That lizard is very different – kind of skink like.
E_B – I think maybe I would have stayed in the truck! That lake effect snow looks dreadful.
Dyson – LOL!
Deb – I hope you make it through the freeze. Maybe it won’t be as bad as they are saying.
Sidney – You’re making the rest of us look bad! 6/10’s wheew! Hope you and Ric get to spend some time together.
Ric – I’m lovin’ the park’s name!! Prissy would have a great time there!
Rann – Pretty iris! I hope you are feeling better.

48.6 °F / 9.2 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 24 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 12.1 mph / 19.5 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa
Windchill: 46 °F / 8 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 67. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Clouds yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona
Kernville, CA

If you just recieved two empty post boxes, thats because I am to tired here at 4:30 am. Didn't sleep well last night, woke up at 3:30, been putting in long days sanding and polyurethaning interior wood.

Can't tell you what the weather is because its dark.

Rann: I envision the sun shining at your place now. I saw on a map that Iceland is an island. Were you born there?
Kelli: Where do those wildflowers grow? We ar getting very few this year because of the drought.
Sidney: Hi Sidney. nice to meet you. So you travel all the time? What kind of work do you do?
Kiska: Picturesque side yard. I have to deal with a muddy driveway here when we get a lot of water in a short time. I need four wheel drive to use the drive, because it is on a 1/4 mile slope.

Well tigpie, sometimes I "tig weld", LOL. I'm a Boilermaker and I build and repair the big power houses that give most of you the electricity to post here daily. We also do recovery boilers at paper and pulp mills and gas and chemical refineries. Also I got laid-off last friday morning after 25 nights straight of 10 hours. An "electric utility" looses one million dollars a day when their generating capacity is deminished by turning off a boiler for repair. Therefore, we work around the clock and often 7 days a week. At least I'll get sundays off while I'm in Ky.
Ric, I would love to see your "Estate". I have been lucky to meet many DGers romping across this beautiful country.
Off to pack.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sidney I just realized as we passed Coney Island...
you'll be up here during one of the best Flower Shows in the US....

http://www.cincyflowershow.com/

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sidney and Sharon - my cold is much better :-)

Tigpie - yes I was born here and yes Iceland is an island in the middle of the Atlantic - needless to say we get a lot of wind ;-) lol

It's been a wonderful day so far - mostly sunny and not so warm except close to the house in the sun - but we're loving it :-) It's up to 40°F now and we even grilled some hotdogs for lunch and ate them outside. I've moved 3 shrubs today - so it's been a great day all around. Better enjoy since the forecast is pretty lousy for the rest of the weekend - wind and rain coming our way tomorrow.

We're off to dinner with DH's family tonight - fish - since it's Good Friday. I've never understood why it's called that in english ...... we call it the long Friday.

Rannveig

Tigpie, the flowers are in the Santa Monica Mountians, that is, near the coast. Besides getting a little more rain than places inland, they also get fog, which adds to the moisture. Things are still looking pretty good near the coast, though I wonder how it will be in May as we haven't had any rain in probably a month. (I've lost track.) Inland where I am, the grass is starting to dry up. On the coast, things are still green.

A couple more pictures from yesterday.

yucca just getting started

Thumbnail by Kelli

arroyo lupine

Thumbnail by Kelli

Catalina mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I posted this on my regional forum, but the wording is sooo scary, I just had to share. :-)

... A very damaging and highly unusual freeze possible over the
weekend across much of southeast South Carolina and southeast
Georgia...
... New all time record lows for April possible Sunday morning...

A large Arctic airmass will build across the region this weekend
bringing very cold temperatures for April. It does appear as though
a damaging freeze will occur across much of the region.

For Charleston:
Record low for Sunday April 8 – 43F in 1972
All time record low for April – 36F on April 7, 1982

Our current forecast low is somewhere round 30 or just below, depending on who you ask.
My yard will be a bucket and linens farm this weekend!
Deb

Kelli - Your flowers are so pretty, but I think my favorite is the mariposa lily!
Rann - This link might answer your question http://www.kencollins.com/Question-11.htm

It's been such a gorgeous day! Light puffy clouds and blue sky, warm in the sun and cool in the shade. I've been working in the yard again in between loads of laundry and general spring cleaning.

Sweet happy face!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright sun, overcast sky, and cool. If I ever get my camera software loaded on this machine I will post pics of the red buds on timber ridge road. I know that software is in one of these two buildings among a thousand other cd's .

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Sidney,
Part of my duties for a little while before I retired was the daily operation of two gas fired Cleaver Brooks steam boilers. These were for producing heating and process liquid heating in an automotive plant. Hey, one of my jobs was a little bit of tig,mig, and stick welding.

Sharon, mariposa lilies are my favorite, too, especially the yellow one that blooms later. I have amaryllis very similar to yours in my yard but mine aren't blooming yet. Do you have any idea what varieity it is?

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on April 06, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
67 °F / 19 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SE

wildflowers from today's excursion
blue larkspur

Thumbnail by Kelli

fiesta flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

linanthus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Well our weather temps have changed. It got to high 30s in some places thought at work I think we stayed in the low 30s. At one time before I left it was 32*. We are also getting ready for an all time record low this weekend. Highs will only be in the 20s all weekend. Lows in the mid teens.

One of the guys I work with said he couldn't remember the last time he had to cut wood in April for the fireplace. He thought he would only have to do it that one time til I gave him the weather report. He had hoped I was kidding but I told him I wasn't. The worse part is he also has to come in tomorrow nad help with the Easter Egg hunt. I really feel sorry for him. lol. It will be back into the 40s and on up starting Monday.

scenery

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

I was just watching the weather channel and they said Dallas could see snow tomorrow. Looks like a few more cold nights ahead.

My backyard..............

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

We have snow west and south of here. Luckily none has hit us.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Well it is really dark. even with a near full moon.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Light now - went out to the car - and baby it is cold out there.

Kelli – More pretty flowers! Do you carry a digger and a basket with you when you go for walks?
Pepper, E-B, Ric - To quote Sidney “BRRRRRRRRRR”!!

Now -
47.5 °F / 8.6 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 23 °F / -5 °C
Wind: 8.0 mph / 12 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 14.3 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa
Windchill: 45 °F / 7 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Breezy...cooler. High 59????. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph.

Freeze watch in effect Sunday morning (Jacksonville...not coastal - Sidney can you believe it?)!
We were going to go to the Sunrise Easter Servie at the Beach tomorrow morning, but I don't think so. It's going to be cold (30's) and windy and all winter gear is packed up and stored.

Snapdragons and Amaryllis buds (red).

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.