April daily weather; Meteor hits PA!

(Zone 3b)

25*F, 7am, cloudy; Sunrise at 7:11 Set 8:54pm.
Ric - that's quite a division between the coming storm/sky. Glad it wasn't too bad.
Sharon - It's so surprising to see so many and such large turtles out in the wild. The Gkids will love seeing them when I show them this thread.
Marylyn_TX - summer's just around the corner, wow...so, enjoy the cool while you can.
Deb - upper 20*s certainly could cause your little sprouts to hope you bring the blankies. :)
Lazy Mt. remains the same today, as it did in this photo in Jan. (Out my front door)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

For Floridians and others in the "path" the season begins!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/708937/

However, now is the BEST time to be in Florida. .Not too hot, not too humid, and all the springtime blooming is in full swing. Yes, we do have a spring here, but probably only us "Crackers" recognize it! LOL
Pati

(Zone 5a)

Pati - I totally agree with you - I think April is the best month to be in Florida too ;-)

Sure seems a lot of storms brewing around!

Debi and Ric - hope it doesn't get too cold for your plants ;-)

It's cooling down here as well - down to 37°F now from a high of around 46°F. It's been a very nice day - partly cloudy and a bit breezy. While we had a high of 48°F yesterday - the ones on the east coast got a toasty 70°F and sunshine!!!! It was the highest recorded temperature in april - ever - still wouldn't want to swap with them 'cause now they'll be looking at below freezing temps until next week. I think we'll be in the 30's through the easter weekend which begins tomorrow here ...... we get a five day weekend :-)

Hope things calm down for those with all the T-storms and hail!

Rannveig

Kernville, CA

Slightly overcast with no high pressure, which makes breathing easy! I appreciate these days with little sun.

Kiska: yay! I got the joke! Do you make fireweed jelly? The pasture looks magnificent.

(Zone 3b)

patti - we were in Orlando in early Dec year before last, a it was so pretty; and cooler than in summer, they said.
Rann- nice "seeing" you again. Hope you have a wonderful, long, Easter break.
tigpie - I do make Fireweed jelly and honey. It's a pretty, pale pink.
1:30 pm, 39*F. The clouds are high and the scene in front of me is very gray, even as the sun trys to break through.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marylyn – Glad you like the pictures! We’ll be in the same temp zone as you tomorrow.
Deb – Hopefully your blue heron will be back soon. They are so graceful. I hope your plants make it through the cold front.
Kiska – Great picture of Lazy Mountain. Is that your roof in the foreground? Summers in Orlando can be brutal. Central Florida – no ocean breeze….yuck! Your last picture is amazing!
Tigpie & Kiska – Fireweed jelly??

Well I don’t know about y’all, but it was HOT here today. We topped 85, JIA is holding at 90. But changes are on the way – Summer is out Spring is back in – YAY!!! It’s going to be a cool Easter for almost everyone.

80.2 °F / 26 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 29.79 in / 1008.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 80 °F / 27 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Sunrise this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I did get "Timber Ridge Road" pics today but have not had time to download and examine them.

Was busy installing a new solar powered clothing dryer and then testing it, (needs some additional support in the center area).

Sunny, windy, cooling down but still bright.

Forgot to put in tonights weather!

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 50s. (YAY) West winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northwest 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

This was taken about 30 seconds before the precious picture

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: I know that's a road, but it looks like a ski jump to me! LOL!
Sharon: Lovely skies. Glad you're getting to have a bit of spring before summer.

We had 85F today and sunny. Really was a lovely day with low humidity. Can't stop obsessing about the predicted freeze for the weekend, though.
Deb

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I hear you tigpie - it is good to have some cloudy days.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 04, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
76 °F / 24 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the South

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Dyson.......When I was a kid we had something called a "clothes prop." I'm not sure that technology still exsists though.

Sharona.....I'm enjoying the tour!

Well, like a big slice of the country, the weather here has been all downhill today. We are expecting plenty of snow by tomorrow. Yesterdays high of almost 80º seems long ago and far away now. It was 33º here a few minutes ago and very windy. My daughter's softball game this afternoon was a real treat. We kept getting pelted by those hard little snow pellets that sting when they hit your face. Fun, fun, fun!

Ric..........Your post that mentioned the owl taking the squirrel reminded me of this pic.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Early, just be glad you were not riding a motorcycle in it - that stuff hurts like a lot of yellow jacket stings.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

This morning it was 25* out and the windchill was 13*. That is the warmest morning temps for the rest of the week until Sunday. Today's high was 42* at work and sunny, clear skys with blustery winds.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Early - "A clothes prop" ? Down here consist of a 2 by 4 piece of lumber with a nail placed in the proper position to hold the line up,

Yep, gotta build one of them tomorrow, should take 3 minutes, after spending 3 hours finding the components.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rannveig I fear the Perennials will be mush, AGAIN, by Sunday.

It's currently 36° (wind chill 26°) going down to 30° tonight....
The projected low is 18° Sunday morning.......
The potted Perennials I'll pull up closer to cover (probably in the HotTub enclosure) but there's little to be done for the others.
Even a foot of leaves won't help much.

e_b what cute little Owls! Thanks!
Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Whoops I forgot to put this shot on.....
Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Oooh, love the look of the plant!! Reminds me of marigolds.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's actually a shrub getting 6-8' tall.
I'm keeping it in a container and will keep it hard pruned for better flowering.

Ric

I wish I had a place to put shrubs here. Have no place to put them anymore.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Dyson.......Yep, that's what we called them. Ours just had a v cut into the top though.

early_bloomer

(Zone 3b)

Interesting goings' on here. The little owls are so cute all snuggled in their nest.
Sharon, my GD, age 5, loved the turtles. The sky is sure a beauty, too. Fireweed jelly and honey is made from the blossoms of the fireweed. Harvest a nice paper bag full of blossoms, steep in boiling water, strain the blossoms, add sugar to H2O and enjoy. Sometimes I add red clover.
The roof is not my home; in fact, that photo was the wrong one; it was taken from downtown Palmer, the "thumbnail" was too small for the detail.
Deb - the road runs in front of my house, at the far end of the pavement.
Kelli - your weather report looks pretty good., the breeze ok?
henryr10 - too bad about your plants. Glad to see the bright yellows on this up till now, gray day.
Dyson - love to see the big 3-minute project when it's finished:)
pepper23 - the 40's is good, but not the winds along with it, they sure bring down the feel of the temp.
A new photo of Lazy Mt., just taken at 5:30 pm, through the trees at home.
6pm, 41*F, sunny and blue sky opened out late in the afternoon.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Lazy Mt., from the driveway; 5:30pm.

Thumbnail by kiska

No problem with the wind. 12mph is nothing.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Chilly grey day with rain. Currently 43 degrees, it was 41 this AM and hasn't changed much. Yes, we will get killing frosts in the next few days. Not too much to do about it. I will put buckets over some newly planted clematis that are vineing nicely. They may be toast before the next new moon.

Last year a nearby grape vine took over my solar powered dryer. The grapes are gone and it is back in working order.

Some of us old ones love to smell sheets and towels that are dried in the wind. (That is, when the farmer is not spreading manure, hee, hee)

I dried some shirts outside one time and I wasn't impressed. They came out stiff. Is there a way to prevent that?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

i use the de-wrinkle cycle of the inside dryer (electric), it only takes a few moments so does not burn nearly as much power as drying the clothes.

Kelli – Beautiful roses! What kind?
Ric – ouch - Back to freezing temps. I hope your plants make it.
Kiska – I love the pics of Lazy Mountain! I ‘m sure it’s gorgeous in the Summer all covered in green.
Kelli – I used to hang my clothes out on the line. I miss it a lot. I always threw them in the air-dry cycle with a dryer sheet for a couple of minutes. Works great! We can’t have clothes lines in the neighborhood. Some people think they are “unsightly” – their words – not mine.

60.1 °F / 15 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9 km/h from the NW
Wind Gust: 11.6 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly cloudy and not as warm. High 72!! (YAY)!! North winds 10 to 15 mph.

I've been told there are peacocks that wander around this street, but I've never seen any! Speed limit is very low though so there sould be some truth to the rumor.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon all :-)

It's a sunny and cool day here - temp's up to 38°F now. It dipped below freezing tonight - don't know how cold it got - but the plants that are starting to grow were unaffected ... Great first day of easter break ;-)

Kiska - fireweed grows here and flowers in August but I've never heard of fireweed jelly ..... interesting.

Ric - ouch 18°F is pretty brutal. Love the Kerria - very pretty :-)

Have a great day!

Rannveig

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Snowy and 25º balmy degrees here in NW PA this morning. Expecting highs of 28º today and 29º Fri. and Sat. There's a Lake Effect snow warning in effect until Fri. at 6:00pm. Looks like about 4" on the ground now with 3-6" expected today, another 3-6" tonight and more tomorrow. I can hear muffled sobbing coming from under the snow. I think it might be the daffodils.

My bird feeder a few minutes ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Major bummer, EB!

Sharon, the rose is "Perfect Moment". They bloom all year here, through heat and El Ninos and whatever. The other roses take some time off in the winter and take it easy in the hottest part of summer. As bright as the photo looks, it still doesn't do them justice.

I like the kerria, too. Is it fragrant? It reminds me of something my grandma (or somebody) had that had flowers like that but light pink and much smaller.

Thanks for the tips on clothes drying. I won't be doing extensive drying outside because I'm afraid the birds will poop on stuff, but sometimes I will wash just a couple things and they don't dry all that well in the dryer. They just clump up against the "fins". Freshening them in the dryer should work, though.

The guys came and sealed the driveway today. It looks shiney right now. I don't know how it will look when it dries. If if looks extra nice, I'll post a picture.

We're going hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains this afternoon, so be forewarned. ;-)

Updated: 9:18 AM PDT on April 05, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
61 °F / 16 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable

radishes from earlier in the week

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

8:30 am, 27*F, partly sunny and a moose wandering through the edge of the woods.
Wow - look at the fresh snow - very pretty...
and, that's a beautiful harvest, Kelli -
Our guests returned from the trip up to Fairbanks and loved it up there, too. The ice sculptures were fantastic, they went to North Pole and visited Santa Claus house, saw lots of caribou, some moose, and lots of snow-covered tundra/mts.
Today we're going to go some places here in the valley/Palmer.
Yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Kernville, CA

Another day of relief. Medium overcast and refreshingly cool 65.

I saw my first Golden Eagle yesterday. He was hanging out by the river. The Blue Heron was on a small grass area along the river, but scrammed when big GE started flying his way.

Kelli: Glad you can relate. I use to live in Glendora, in the San Gabriel valley. Moved here 1998. I'm inspired by those good lookin' radishes.
Kiska: Pink Jelly- WOW! What a view from your driveway.
Early. : Nice picture. I use to live on Lake Erie, and walked down the 1/2 mile long driveway getting frozen by the Lake Effects, when I was 10 years old.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, everyone ! I love all your pictures ! Sorry for not being here lately, but we just moved out and had so much to do ! It's been warm lately and everything is blooming here !
Look at this cherry tree !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The daffodils !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Rann – So glad your plants aren’t being affected by the cold. Jacksonville is going to have “possible record cold” for the next couple of nights.
Sidney – Tell your family they may need to cover the plants!
E_B – Great picture of the snow. So pretty and unspoiled.
Kelli – “Perfect Moment” sounds about as perfect as a rose can get, being able to handle all types of weather. Maybe that’s the one I need to try to grow! How did your driveway turn out?
Adina – So glad you checked in! Such pretty pictures! How is the Boss Man doing in the move?

An update on Baxter – I had x-rays done on his lungs – the 2 possibilities are lung fungus or asthma. Having blood work done on him tomorrow to check for the fungus.

68.4 °F / 20 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3 km/h from the SSE
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Colder. Low 43. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Here are the Amaryllis blooming – they are not fully open at this time. The reds are still buds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

so far about 7 buds on this one...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sharon, thanks for asking !Boss feels great here ! Werearranged th efurniture like it used to be in our old apartment and he has his old place to sleep, near the bed or near the armchair.
So cold today and windy, but still sunny !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

It got to 41* today but quickly dropped back down to 39* in less than a hour. The wind wasn't as strong today so we didn't have to deal with that but we were all bundled up like it was winter time again. lol. We have a freeze warning in effect all thru the weekend. Sunday will only be 43* out. Not much different than today.

The driveway looks good but the flowers looks better, so I'll post those pictures. Best wishes to Baxter. That sounds like a miserable condition.

Now, the wildflower pictures. I'm sure you can tell that I really get my jollies over these things.

sticky monkey flower

Thumbnail by Kelli

crimson pitcher sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.