Rooting Jar Exchange Questions and Discussion

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Go for it Lin!! : ) Its just sooo much fun isn't it?

This message was edited Feb 28, 2007 7:03 PM

Brick, NJ(Zone 7a)

thank you rosepetal!! I LOVE IT... so pretty, cobalt blue bottle, i'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow... andof my crazy maternity plants growing - i can't believe how fast they are growing!

glad you like those holly! thanks stephie

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Nancy,

Glad you like it; it's been kicking around here for a couple of years after I found it, because I had no room for it.
The glass exchange was a perfect excuse to trade it off! Plus, I'm ready to start doing plant swaps; the weather is too uncertain for that right now...but glass will ship just fine! :)

Marsha.

If someone has time,would you please post a link to the "brew" thread;that everyone is talking about.
Thanks from me & my plants.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Allison asked me to post a picture of the jars and cuttings she received from Sally. They are adorable, and she was so excited. She sends many thanks!

Thumbnail by stownes
(Zone 1)

Adorable! I love those little jars! We should have kept this going for another week or two ... some of would have been on the list a dozen times, I bet! :)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

LOL Yes Lin I am hoping Holly might decide to keep it open a bit longer too.Please?? hee hee Its so much fun I never want it to end : )

(Zone 1)

It has been bunches of fun .... and what a great idea for this time of year when some folks can't get out and "Play in the Dirt" because of cold weather! It is beautiful here, 79 degrees right now! Which reminds me ..... I need to go Play in the Dirt for awhile! :)

I think next we should have a "Garden Gadget" or "Whimsey" kind of exchange! I have a few little garden type "whimsies" to swap!

"PLEASE" someone give the "brew" recipe-I can't find it.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

CC I will go look see if I can find it for you.I have it written down here somewhere too.I have a batch mixed up now : ) Good Stuff!!
Nancy

(Zone 1)

I saw the recipe awhile back, but can't remember where it was. Sounded like some folks had very good results, but it was too much trouble for me to bother with. I am sooo lazy when it comes to feeding. If I fertilize (and that ain't very often), I want it right there, ready to pour! I have a very short attention span and if it requires all that mixing, I will never get it done! Did you ask about it on the Hoya forum? I'm thinking that's where I saw it a couple of months ago!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/665824/

It is in this thread somewhere - had it bookmarked.

(Zone 1)

See ... I knew someone would know the "Recipe" ..... now if someone could just mix it up and sell it ready to go, I'd buy it! LOL.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Sharon to the rescue!!.Thats the link alright : )

Thank you so much!!!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Fast-Aging Cactus Fertilizer
1 12-ounce can or bottle of beer
1 cup of Epsom salts
1/2 cup of ammonia
2 cups of water

Mix and put into a 1-quart container. Use 1/2 oz. per gallon of water every two weeks, when you water your cactus.

1 cup = 8 ounces; 1/4 cup = 2 ounces = 4 tablespoons
1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons; therefore 1/2 oz is 1 Tbsp.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

What happens if your name (in this case, it's my name) is the last name on the list? To whom do I send my 3rd rooting jar to? Thanks.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

If you haven't sent your rooting jar out yet, you can "pretty it up" with beads & baubles.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_containers_other/article/0,1785,HGTV_3560_3459400,00.html

(Zone 1)

Buttoneer: You were the last name on the list, so you send one to Holly, the first name on the list ... she is the one who organized and began this exchange!

THANK YOU HOLLY!

This has been so much fun ... we will need to do it again next spring! You never know, you may get one of your own jars back! :)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Now don't forget to go to that link I enclosed so you can pretty your jars up.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Very cute jar in that link - and it was just a plain old jar!! I'm going to try to fancy mine up since I haven't sent anything out yet - my sister's visit has just totally ruined my schedule, but I'm really glad she's here.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if you can mix up that Brew with Wine instead of Beer. LOL ;}

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Allison is quite welcome! She had dmailed me offerring cuttings out of the blue way back, so she seems like someone with a big Heart- so the heart jars seemed perfect. So glad she likes them!

HOLLYANN- job well done! it's been great fun for so many! applause

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Holly, I love being in exchanges. Glad I picked up on this one. Thanks so much.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

BRAVO Holly : ) This has been so much fun.I can't wait to see what you cook up next : )
Nancy

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

This really was fun! Hope everyone keeps posting pictures of their goodies.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Hollyann,
Thanks a million for organizing, the rooting
jar exchange. It's amazing how something so
small can bring so much joy. I enjoyed it very much.
Gale

50 replies on the exchange- that means almost 50 jars went flying across the US- Thats incredible!

(Zone 1)

Make it 51 .... I have one that I am sending our Hostess for such a Great Exchange! Actually, it may be more than that .... I sent someone two jars in her package because one was kinda plain. And, Allison got 2 jars!

Hasn't this been a blast? I really hope we do it again next year!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

These jars are great, and what a great idea Lin, we do need to send something to the hostess of this exchange; this was a blast!!! Onward to the next, I vote for garden whimsy too, I think that would be a riot!!! Keep those jar pictures coming, we all want to see. Have a great evening!
Ruby(rose_petalzz)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I've added one more. I will exchange with 101
Nancy I received my bottle and plants, I love the bottle. The picture doesn't show well but it is tall and square with rounded corners. Very interesting and I need something that size. The plants are wonderful I don't have anything like them can't wait to see them bloom. They were cold but don't look damaged at all the insulated container was a great idea. How do you think I should root them? Since they are succlents I thought maybe I should root them in soil or sand instead of water what do you think?

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Whew ... I had a * lot * of reading to do to catch up!! LOL Thank you, Holly for letting me join even after this was closed. I'm sooo excited. I'll be shopping for my jar this week-end ... or maybe I have that perfect little jar tucked back in the cabinet somewhere. Yep, this is gonna be fun! ;)
~Elaine

(Zone 1)

Oooooh Holly .... I love that jar! Hint, Hint ... for next year's exchange! :) Hey, if we were to keep this going each year, we might all end up with what we started with! LOL.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm so happy you liked it Holly. Actually have 2 of those jars so I kept one for myself LOL... and I can't believe the cuttings made it ok.That made my day : ) I have rooted them either way fine.If I remember right soil is faster though.Funny thing I took the cuttings off of my mama plant pictured below and now today I noticed she has a bloom : )

Thumbnail by cedarnest

cedarnest- do you know tha name of that?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I can change the address and will address it to 101. Holly, you are missing out on one fine jar and 101, you're in luck. LOL.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

sallyg I wish I knew.I need to do some checking around.Its one of my favorites and the easiest thing to take care of.

well, there is the ID forum-wink wink

What do you all do for a box to mail these small things? I was ecstatic that I had one for my exchange.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 8:36 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh no, I'm getting my jar. Hope you didn't change that address yet. 101 I will exchange with you instead. Holly

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

sallyg, Thanks for the hit in the head LOL I went and posted it on the id forum.Now I will know what it is : )
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.