Rooting Jar Exchange Questions and Discussion

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Cinda,The rooting jar arrived today and I absolutely love it!! Thanks so much.The stones you included in the jar really takes it over the top! Right now I have a few baby bonnie curly spider plants rooting in it for trades.Don't they just look great in this jar?? Awesome.Thanks again!!
Nancy

Thumbnail by cedarnest
(Zone 1)

Nancy! Awesome Jar! I want one! Ooooh, just love the blue and the stones do add so much to the look ..... along with your spidey babies!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Linn, That was just the kind of thing I was thinking of too. And I love the idea.

Donna, Go for it. Thanks so much for stepping up.
I have a lot going on in the next couple of weeks. My daughter’s baby is due soon, my retirement and training my replacement here at work, and then surgery on my shoulder next month. Holly

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lin : ) Those spidey babies are rooting in style : ) I just adore it.I am going to go to walmart this weekend and pick up different colored stones for all my jars.I am hooked now.LOL

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

cedarnest, if you have a dollor store try them first, ours has lots of bags and colors for only $1 each instead of $3 or more.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dravencat! We do have a dollar store so thats where I am headed.Many thanks for helping me save $. I always appreciate that : ))
Nancy

Nancy,your cute jar & beautiful Mable Queen cuttings arrived today :)
Thank you so much!!!

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Baby chickens talk about me all the time............cheap, cheap, cheap.... I love saving money too.

MsKatt, Id love to see what your DD chooses to root in the teal vase, that one was my favorite of the four.

Nancy,Thank you!!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

You are welcome Colie.I am just so happy it arrived ok : )
Nancy

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Ok Lin suggested ..and this is what Lin wrote:(( "Garden Gadget/Garden Whimsy Swap! I love that idea. When I first mentioned this exchange I was thinking along the lines of anything garden related .... wind chimes, garden gloves, inexpensive little statue type things (frogs, toads, turtles, rabbits ...., little wooden garden signs, garden flags .... cute pots to put a plant in! ")) Marvelous idea by the way Lin : ) I think there would be alot of interest in something like this.Since Holly has her plate really full right now with a soon arriving new grand baby(LUCKY!!) and upcoming surgery(Not Lucky but Necessary)..,Any ideas on how to proceed with this type of exchange? Should we do it like Holly did the rooting jar exchange?Where everyone lists their name in a new thread and each sends to the name listed under their name?Suggestions Please?LOL

Nancy

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 12:58 PM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I think Holly's method worked really well, Nancy....Just my humble opinion!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I think it did too Nan. Maybe thats the same way we should do this next one.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Uh Oh wait a minute I think I read above that PerennialGirl/Donna was going to be leading this next swap maybe? I am so sorry Donna.I didn't mean to step on your toes.I should have read a little better before I got excited and posted.Please forgive?
Nancy

(Zone 1)

I agree ... that was sooo easy! And SO much fun! Any more ideas of Garden "Stuff" for the exchange? I don't think anyone should feel they have to go out and purchase anything more than $5, if they don't already have something sitting around to exchange! I know I have a few little "goodies" sitting around ...... although, some people might not think they are so good. I have some little resin birds sitting on shelves and plant stands and just a few more little things about. Or, even garden books ... I have a bunch of those that I haven't looked at in years! Don't know if anyone would be interested in books, but that's the fun of the "Swap" ..... seeing what we get. And, it can always be traded again later, if it happens to be something you just can't find a place for! I love shopping at thrift stores, and the dollar stores, so am always picking up something or other ..... don't know if any of y'all have Big Lots, but I love it when they have neat garden stuff in the spring!

(Zone 1)

I think PerennialGirl/Donna just meant that she wanted to participate in the Swap!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Ok I didn't know for sure.
Lin you have such great ideas : ) Are you sure you don't want to lead this swap?You would be perfect for it .I just *Love* your ideas: )
Nancy

(Zone 1)

Not me! I just want to play!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Moving discussion to new thread. Getting a little long for the dial ups. I’m rushing here. Just got home from work and will be meeting Parents and PG Daughter to go to a small Garden Show in Hbg tonight. Tomorrow I will be at a Garden Seminar for most of the day. Keep the discussion going on new ideas for exchange and continue to post your pic and whatever on this new thread. I’m up for whatever you like, this has been a whole lot of fun. Holly

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700066/

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Ok then before I proceed I need to ask Holly........Holly do you care if I use the exact same format for the Garden Gadget/Garden Whimsy Swap that you used for the rooting jar exchange?I mean practically word for word LOL It worked so well. I am afraid to change anything.Please advise me : ))

Also how long do you think the swap should run?I was thinking to have it open from now until April 1st with everything needing to be sent out by April 7th? How does that sound?
Nancy

(Zone 1)

Got my Rooting Jar from Stownes/Sharon today and just have to post a photo! I ran out of the blue & white glass, so I filled this up with marbles, yep just those regular ole' kids marbles! I don't have a clue where they came from .... were buried in a drawer out in my Florida Room, along with a lot of other glass marbles and junk! I like the look:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Sharon: I love my rooting jar! I know that one plant is a Begonia ... do you know the name of it? And, what is that great little trailing plant you sent me? I really love the variegated color in that one!

Thanks so much .... I am loving my collection of rooting jars!

Lin

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I love the looks of that Lin.Those marbles look great as do those cuttings : ).I need to go through my drawers once.i know I still have tons of marbles from when the kids were young.LOL I never thought of using them.

(Zone 1)

We don't have any kids ... married almost 38 years but never Blessed with Children. :(

I can't remember where these marbles came from! Must have used them at some time for a craft project!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry Lin : ( I need to learn to quit assuming things.

I have a ton of old plastic buttons from crafting projects I never used.I wonder how they would look in a rooting jar.hmmm or would they just float? I need to check ; )

(Zone 1)

Nancy: I wasn't thinking that you were assuming! My hubby and I both love kids and out of 6 in my family everyone thought I would be the one to have a houseful! I have always said that the Good Lord had different plans for us! We have had many kids in our life over the years! Lots of nieces and nephews, And my DH has been a College Professor for 31 years .... I have baked many, many, chocolate chip cookies for his students, our basket ball teams at the University, as well as cheerleaders, pep band .... so .... I guess I could say, we have Lots of kids! At the University I have been known as "The Cookie Lady" for a long, long time!

Well, I've gotten way off topic here!

I think you should give the buttons a try in your rooting jars Nancy! I would think if there are enough piled in there they would hold down some stems to root! Keep us posted on how it works. Maybe you could layer pebbles, buttons, pebbles.

Sure hope some more folks will post photo's of their rooting jars! And, I can't wait for the "Whimsy" Exchange to begin! That's gonna be a Fun one too!

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Lin,
The begonia is just an old, old angel wing that originally came from my grandmother, who passed away in 1980. I don't know if it has a name or not, but Mom and I have managed to keep it going. I'm not sure you can kill it :-) The other little trailer is just a variegated wandering jew of some sort. I think every single cutting I've made has rooted.. the only problem I've had with it here is if it gets too much sun, it gets sunburned.

Nan,
I'm so glad everything made it safely. I wasn't sure about your weather. I can't believe that little wandering jew was already making roots -- that's fast, even for that plant!!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

GardenGus/Cinda, thank you, thank you, thank you for the two lovely "jars".....both are elegant and beautiful....the little one with roses painted on it is just darling and I love roses....thank you so much and this has been a wonderful experience...Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 5:50 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One last message on this thread. I wanted to make sure you all saw that the discussion has been moved to: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700066/
I have posted a few more pictures of jars and thank yous over there. Also if there are any problems with exchanges or issues that haven't been addressed please D-mail me. Holly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.