Rooting Jar Exchange Questions and Discussion

(Zone 1)

The big guy is Monstera deliciosa and the little ones are Pony Tail Palms.

Here's a Plant Files link you can click on to see about the Monstera

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1204/index.html

(Zone 1)

And click here to read about pony tail palm:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2312/index.html

Both real nice plants! Monstera will get much larger ..... really HUGE, and as you will see by the photo's, Pony Tail Palms can get large also .... when in the ground they are large trees!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I'm so glad I purchased these....exactly what I was looking for especially the cutleaf guy....I'm going to sit down and study the links that you provided since it sounds now like it is not a philodendron & I'm anxious to learn more about what it is....it was just nice to see a group of houseplants to select from....small town living is great but I do miss the availability to different things you find in a large city.....Thank you all for the help.....Deb

(Zone 1)

You are quite welcome Deb. Don't know why, but I always referred to Monstera as a Philodendron also. It's in the Aroid family like some Philo's, so maybe that's why.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Marsha...I sent yours out yesterday via Priority Mail, so you should have it by Friday.
I hope you like, and enjoy!!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Depsi
i sent your jar out but didnt know we was suppose to put cuttings in the box please forgive you should get it tomorrow,

plantladylin
i got yours today and thxs sooooooo much for them, i love the green one very unique thxs again sorry but dont have time to take a pic
mom is complaining about her back and i need to go see what i can do and then i have some more seeds i need to plant,please forgive me very busy right now and i hope to slow down soon as i get the seeds done
then i have to take mom to the dr monday so will be busy then too

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Melisa, don't you give that a second thought....I think it was up to the sender whether or not they included a start....You just take care of what all you are dealing with and glad you took the time to even think of me....Thank you....but now if I find out you have hundreds of Stapelia lying around your house I will be very upset!!!!!!! HaHa.....take care.....Deb

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Nancy,
Your grandmother's glass and the cuttings arrived safe and sound yesterday! I'll try to get pictures posted this weekend. Thanks so much - the glass is beautiful.

Nan, your package will go in the mail on Monday - I'll send a confirmation number via dmail :-)

Sharon

This message was edited Feb 23, 2007 11:05 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all, Marsha, that is an adorable jar for rooting-(a minature coke glass), and how did you know I love those!!!! Here is a picture y'all! Sorry I did not post earlier, been in hospital all week, so got home last night. Love that jar, and mine will ship out tomorrow for you Stephanie, hope you like it as much as I do!!! Have a wonderful day all, and this is so much fun; thinking of adding my name again, anyone else want to play it again? Such cute ideas, and I am going to go garage saling tomorrow!!!! Thanks again Marsha!!!!!!

Thumbnail by rose_petalzz
(Zone 1)

That is sooo cute! Where did Marsha ever find that little coke glass? Yea, I'm thinking of adding my name again too!

Hey, one can never have too many rooting jars!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I like that little coke glass jar. I was think about sticking my name in since I have to wait awhile to get mine. I should have then that would be "my" coke glass. ;} LOL Holly

(Zone 1)

I think you SHOULD go ahead and put your name in again Holly! That way, you will get one sooner and then another at the end of the exchange! I'm going over to add mine again right now!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Sharon, I am so glad everything arrived ok.I always worry so much.I was happy to hear you liked grandmas glass.This is soo much fun....
I added my name again too : )
Nancy

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Stephanie- Thank you!
Stephanie sent me a unique jar with swirls on the sides and a bunch of nice green ivy already rooted to go in it. Nice new addition to my collection. We are temporarily camera-less or I'd send a pic.
Allison- yours went in the mail today, so hopefully you'll see it right after the weekend.
I also picked up two glass salt shakers while I got the one I sent.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Ruby,

Glad you liked it. I found it in a little antique store in Tennessee. It just took up a little too much of my window space where I had it, so I thought of it right away when the jar exchange started.

Nan,

Just got your beautiful swan rooter, and I love it! The crazy glue is fine- I think half of all the ceramics in this house are held together with glue of some kind or another. (I have three wild and crazy cats that have amazing aim when it comes to picking out the breakables!) Oh, and thank you for the Hoya cuttings!

Here's a picture of the swan; I enlisted DH's help in holding it because it kept spinning on the fishing line, and I couldn't get a decent picture of it hanging up.

Thanks again!

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 1:19 PM

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 1:20 PM

Thumbnail by missg
Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

HI Deb,
My rooting jar along with the stemware
arrived yesterday. I love the jars, and purple
is my favorite color I will enjoy them.
The peanut cactus is aborable this will
be my first cactus. I checked the box a
couple times, I didn't find the Hoya.
Once again think you.
Gale

Thumbnail by missg
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Neat jars and plants!!!! This is so cool and fun!!! I found some neat ones today at a thrift store; am excited about sending out another one Monday!!! Stephanie look out for yours and Lin yours too--------now as for cuttings, thinking about that.........................:)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sharon, I have your jar. I'm going to wait a week and see if we get a break in the weather. I will try to send a rooting along. Holly

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Nancy,

Your jar is on it's way! The Delivery Confirmation number is:

0306 1070 0002 6615 0065.

Hope you like it!

Marsha.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Stephanie and Lyn, both of your packages are on the way, enjoy, I sure hope you do anyway!!!! Now should I sign up for round three, I see a couple of you have--------hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm----I will think about it. Have a great day all----:)

(Zone 1)

Wow! You mean some folks have signed up three times for rooting jar exchanges! That's great! I am down twice. Hopefully if we keep it going we will manage to trade with different people each time!

I'm thinking about adding my name for a third time! Isn't this fun .... waiting to see what kinds of neat little jars we get?!

Lin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Lin, sorry I misspelled your name--------braindead!!! Well I am going to sign up for a third time, this is really fun, and more fun to find that jar to send to someone!!! And it does not costs alot, and some jars have a history with them, so that is cool too. Okay I am game, I am going to sign up for the third time tomorrow morning, that way others can sign up before me, we all will get different names!!! And I think we should do a cutting exchange in March or April to go into these jars to root!!! Just my opinion. Have a great night everyone!!!!
Ruby :)

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Marsha,You are quick : ) I will be on the lookout.I know I will love it!

Holly and Deb yours are both going out to you tomorrow.I am sticking a few cuttings in too.Hope they make it ok and you like the containers I picked for you..I just love this swap : ) I will pop back in here and post the delivery con # after I get back from the PO.

Holly Thanks for the Wonderful Idea of Organizing this swap.Hey I might even jump in one more time yet if enough others do...I find a gal can never have too many rooting containers : )
Nancy

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Oh Nancy, no moss grows under your feet!!!!! If someone even sent me a cracked catsup jar, I would be happy....knowing it was from someone who loves houseplants as much as I do......Thank you and I'll be watching....Deb

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Deb you are a hoot! LOL about the cracked catsup jar.Scarey thing is..I feel the same way. I just love sharing too : )

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes this has really gone well, everyone having a good time. We'll have to do this or something like it later. You all have until Thursday to sign up again and again and again..........

(Zone 1)

Holly: This has been a blast! Maybe next exchange should be some kind of Garden Gadget or little Garden Whimsey, or even a Garden realated Book!

Lin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like the idea of a small garden whimsy. I have tons of old Garden magazines.

I have been wanting to sign up,but can't find any pretty little jars like you have.
I sure have enjoyed reading & seeing all the neat little jars.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Christmas Cactus, Sign up, Join in, it's exciting to "meet" someone who from that time will have something to remember you by....I don't think it's the prettiness, uniqueness, or any of that members are looking for, just the fun of sharing....you must have a condiment jar in the fridge or go thru the local market's condiment isle and find a different shape, take it home, empty it and send it along with your well wishes.....Heck, the one I sent to Gale was a piece of stemware from my town's 100yr Centennial that I got in the thrift shop for a quarter.....it will be so special no matter what it is 'cause it came from you + someone needs to sign up under me, too, lol.....and people are talking about 3 times.....you can still sign up and don't have to have your jar out 'til the 7th....looking forward to seeing your name under mine.....Deb

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, do, CC....some of the best 'rooting jars' are just plain old 'jars', as Deb stated!
Something both tall and narrow is really the best, IMHO, and might be in your refrigerator right now!

I like the idea of a garden 'whimsy' thingamajig exchange.....and right now, between winter and spring, there are LOTS of those sorts of things available at WM's and dollar stores.

Let me look around the house & see what I can come up with,will let you know later.
Thanks for wanting me to join in :)

So far all I have found is a diamond shaped Ball canning jar(about 4" tall) & a Blenheim ginger ale bottle-don't think anyone would want these. Let me look some more.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hoping you can join us CC It is so much fun : )

Holly and Deb yours are on the way :
Holly usps priority #01038555749944918314
Deb usps priority #01038555749882085680

I sent some cuttings along too but if they don't make it ok with the weather let me know and I will send more when it warms up more.Hope you both like the containers I picked for you : )

Nancy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The more the Merrier. Christmascactus I have a Christmas Cactus Mystery I will be posting on a new thread later tonight. Maybe you'll be just the person to help me. Holly

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

CC Both of those sound wonderful to me.Bet either would work great for cuttings : )

Holly,I don't have any christmascactus plants or cuttings,but would love to try these someday.
My name came about because my birthday is so close to Christmas.
If you think anyone would want the jar & bottle,I would send both (I don't have any cuttings to send ).

(Zone 1)

christmascactus: Both of those sound perfect! I would love the ginger ale bottle! Put your name in quick and I'll post under it and you can send that one to me! LOL. I still didn't sign up yet for the 3rd time, but wanting to!

Lin

edited to say: Cuttings aren't neccessary ... some are taking the chance on sending them, some not ... it's mainly just the fun of the jar exchange for rooting things!

This message was edited Feb 27, 2007 1:52 PM

Ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.