January's Daily Weather, Gleðilegt nýtt ár! Happy New Year!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Did you guys see that a tornado touched down in the town New Iberia where several of our members live?

It rained .47 inch last night and that is counting the little bit that turned to frosty snow stuck to everything. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Today not enough sun to make a pretty picture of it. Plus today seemed to go away very swiftly. I didn't get up until nearly noon. Winter hybernation mode.

I did get this shot of the poor snow laden evergreen next to my daughter's carport.
Our low this morning was 32 and it's down to 26 already tonite. High was 44 - coulda fooled me.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Blooms, where's New Iberia? I haven't looked at the TV all day.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Lilypon I don't know how to read those things or rather where to go to translate them. Those are great racks on them thar critters. Lovely shot. oh I see, Ric says thats Cypress Lake. odd to see open water this time of year up there.??

Kelli the winds will be picking up again tonight. so the wc says.

Sugar, that's a beautiful poem to start off the new year. And I see you're still in Texas. Not getting any of this storminess? Hope that stays true for you.
~gotta go get caught up~~Blooms

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL I wish it just showed altitude. ;) However one of the many wonders of Dave's is I find I tend to get the Atlas or Google Earth now out just to narrow down where different members live. :)

Blooms you've almost gots more than my location! Have you noticed it's the places that normally get very little that are getting it now?

Now who would believe this was in Southern Saskatchewan? Ü

The highest spot (1392 metres or 4567 ft. above sea level) is in the Cypress Hills in the southwest corner of the province. The Cypress Hills are the highest point in Canada between the Rocky Mountains & Labrador.

Cypress Hills has always been a lush retreat, rich in wildlife. For at least 7,000 years, nomadic Plains Indians wintered here because the hills were an excellent source of food, fuel, furs and building materials – lodgepole pines made excellent travois, teepee poles and, as their name implies, lodges. An additional attraction for the Indians was the Chinook breeze from the west, which made for a much milder winter than the one experienced on the Great Plains below. except this winter............it is much colder and it has SNOW!!!!!

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Louisiana for New Iberia
And someplace - Liberty, SoCarolina had a bunch of parents lined up in their cars waiting to pick up there kids... a tornado struck 2 minutes before the kids would have been let out. Lots of damage to the cars picked them right up. film on weather channel almost as soon as it happened. same system hit another town too.

edit to say correct state

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 9:43 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

We never got up to where the lodgepole pines are......the roads were impassable.

So sorry to hear about the tornado! Are they normal at this time of year?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joey New Iberia is in LA.
RedRose lives there and evidently it hit just a street over from her.
She and her Family are OK
There's a Thread going here in the Weather Forum.
I got familiar w/ many Member and many more Town names during Katrina and Rita.
Made MANY friends then too... man what else can hit there..........

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Actually Lilypon the Google Map showed you at a fork in the road.
How accurate was that map?

You're one of the few members getting a worse than normal Winter.
We hit 66 on my therm. in the yard ..... in the shade.
I actually opened two of the GH doors to air them out.
The Hoophouse, which I can't vent except into the House, hit 87...

Snow 'maybe' Tues.... go figure..............

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I have no words Ric. It's terrible...It's an awful lot for those folks...It's enough to screw with any ones sanity. But I'm glad she (& family) are OK. Did anyone get hurt?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Sorry to hear of their misfortune! I'm sure glad to hear no one was hurt!

I'm not sure how accurate it is Ric....our GPS isn't out too much tho. We were on top of the park's first peak (there was a higher one that we couldn't get too).

Blooms DH admired their racks too........we congratulated them on outwitting the hunters for another year. :)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Ric, I saw the tornado shots from yesterday about New Iberia and instantly new that was where RR and a coupla others lived.

Lilypon I'm surprised to learn that you don't normally have snow. I would have assumed snow and deep snow was the normal climate. The snow looks more than actually is. It was about an inch deep and froZe fast to things as it fell. It wouldn't shake off.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Oh we normally get snow........but when I was a child (up to my 20's) we'd often get 4 to 5 feet over the winter.

This year we've gotten about 6 inches and we are now down to about 4. The write-up above states that Cypress Hills usually receives much milder temps and less snow then the surrounding plains. This winter it has a couple of feet in more open areas.

Everything is opposite of what it normally would have been.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

A lovely cottage in the park:

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOLOL Ric DH just said we were stuck on the ice right on the fork in the road!!! My memory was more of us trying to get out then the other road off to the side. The pic I posted wasn't taken where we took the reading.

Joey the Mullies were just about 10 miles outside the park and unfortunately we didn't download the caches before we left....we weren't sure if we'd be able to get near it (possible icy roads/drifting etc) or if the main park office would allow us access (we've never been there in the winter).

Blooms the GPS was very confusing for us too but after studying the manual that came with it (many, many times) and after bothering PanamonCreel (one of Dave's puter gurus and a expert GPS'er) we are getting better.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

good on you. ;-))

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon!

Lilipon - Cypress Hills look like a wonderful place - love that cottage! And those Mullies (?) are cute - what are they ?

So sorry to hear about the tornadoes ...

It's a beautiful day here once again - still fairly calm, partly cloudy and we had a tiny bit of snow earlier! Very light dusting - but the streets are white now! Probably a sheet of ice underneath that snow ..... but white nonetheless! The streets are salted here when the conditions are like that so the ice does melt fairly quickly ..... it's worst early in the mornings and I'm not up then ..... I'm in winter hibernation mode like Blooms ;-)

Ric - that bathroom of yours is looking good! :-) We've been doing a bit of remodeling ourselves - turned our laundry room into an extra WC/shower/laundryroom ...... I've been doing laundry in the garage for 8 months but now the washing machine is in and WC/shower are up and running ...... still need a sink in there but we'll get there ...... ;-)

Here's before - this was in april ....

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

And this is today :-)

I almost forgot - today is the 13th (day of Christmas) - the last one! Tonight it will be over - there will be bonfires and some fireworks in all probability ..... nothing like New Year's but still fun :-) The tree will come down tomorrow along with all the decorations :-(

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you for your well wishes! They worked. We got rain and some thunder, but nothing serious. I think we were pretty lucky because the system died down before it got this far to the east.
Sidney – how did you fare?
Rann – that’s a lot of accidents in one day. I hope no one was seriously injured. Great job on the remodel! Really like the look of the shower.
Kelli – my caladiums come back every year. I mulch them every year. Your winds made the news here! Your holly is pretty.
E-B – mmmm maple syrup!
Ric – very nice! Feel free to come over here and work some “tile” magic as well!
Lilypon - beautiful pictures! I love that cottage.
Joey – pretty view through the trees!

DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THIS MORNING
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville
Today...Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog this morning. Visibility reduced to less than a quarter of a mile at Times. A 20 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Highs in the lower 80s.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharon :-)

Kelli - loved the Californian holly(wood) that isn't holly! :-) That's a LOT of berries!

It's snowing!! Hence it's overcast now, 34°C and almost calm - very nice :-)

Photo taken a few minutes ago - around 1:45 pm

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rann - you have snow!! Are the girls playing in it?! I would be :)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

62½°(F) porch 68.4°(F) shed Bright sunlight - talked to mom, sis is coming in from Alaska in Feb. told her to make sure she brought smoked salmon.

Sharon - keep the fog, yesterday was a bad drive. don't send it this way please.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All! LOL! I have to laugh...the weather guy even chuckled! He said a "cold" front has moved thru...It's 56*! Now, ain't that cold? The high for today is expected to be 70* again! I'm glad he didn't say "heat wave"!
Sharon, More fog? You're probably getting tired of the stuff! Pretty ~ I love Begonia's & Colious(sp).
Rann, glad you got a little snow. :-) And the "shower room" ! That is Great! What a wonderful "make-over"! A Fine Job! I want to Thank You for sharing all you "fire-works" with us. They were wonderful; And your Christmas traditions. It's so interesting...your customs. :D ~ BTW ~ "mullies" are Mule Deer. Similar, but Much larger than our White Tail Deer.
Lilypon, I Love the "cottage". And the snow! Maybe you can get to the cache when the snow leaves, when ever that is....
Dyson, I'm coming to your house in Feb. for some of that Salmon! :D

Have a Great Day All! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey - did you ever figure out the name of the fern? Great picture - such a pretty shade of green.
Dyson - trying to send the fog out to the ocean, fans are pointed east!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! Sharon! So You have the Monster fans! ;)
Yes, I found out that it is an natural hybrid...Dryopteris intermedia. So now I have 2! kinds :D
Love the Poinsettia! How tall did you say it was?

Thumbnail by music2keep

The fans seem to be working! It's clearing up outside! It's almost 5' tall. I'll be so happy when we get rid of all these weeds. Might take another year.
Is that an ivy behind the fern?

Thumbnail by MySharona

This is interesting. My rainmeter shows 2" of rain last night. I set out my water pail yesterday and forgot to put it up, it was empty last night. It's full...this is more than 2"!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sharon, I don't see anything behind either fern pic. (& I could be wrong) But if there's something there it's either Greenbrier or honeysuckle. Both are a pest! But the Greenbrier is the Worst!
There's some Greenbrier in this pic. I fight it all the time. I would have already had my acre pretty much cleaned if it weren't for That stuff!

Thumbnail by music2keep
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Mid day greetings all.
I am in Jacksonville for a week or so, and then off to work somewhere.
I do hope everyone comes through Early Spring storms unscathed.
Observed at: Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
76.6 °F / 24.8 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h from the SSW
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph / 13 km/h
I'll start a new thread in the morning.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

72.9°(F) porch , 83.8°(F) shed - now labeled "shed temperature ck" cause the label did not cover all of Radio Shack. Very bright today.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Low 16*(F)
Hi [expected] 38*(F) current temp 39*(F) what can I tell ya?
Humidity 35%

Snow is melting off stuff in the sunshine - not so on the shady side of things.
Sidney's back in Florida. ;-) Enjoy lady.
I saw 8ft tall Poinsettia in Santa Barbara oncet.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Glad you folks liked the toyon. It's one of my favorite native plants. (It is in the rose family.)

Rann, that is so cool that your Christmas season lasts so long. Here it seems like by Christmas evening, it is pretty much done. It was the same in PA as here in CA. Maybe that's just my perception. We'll see if others add their opinions.

Somewhere I have a picture of a poinsetta growing outside a house and it is probably in the 8 ft range (poinsetta, not house). If I can find it, I'll scan it and post the picture.

NO WIND!!! Doing the happy dance! :-)

Updated: 11:29 AM PST on January 06, 2007
Observed at: Northwest San Fernando Valley, Chatsworth, California
Elevation: 905 ft / 275 m
65.3 °F / 18.5 °C
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 2 °F / -16 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 12.9 m/s

I think this is Bryophyllum "Houghtonii" or chandelier plant. It is a mother-of-thousands type.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

At work so no time to comment but lovely pics everyone....glad to see the snow won Rann.

36 °F / 2 °C
N/A
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 22 °F / -5 °C
Wind: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s from the West
Pressure: 29.35 in / 994 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 25 °F / -4 °C

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

He guys!
No time. Watching the new pup like a hawk. He is keeping me totally occupied. Just had a quick read through. BTW the tornado that his the little town here in SC was NOT normal for this time of year. They said it's due to unusually warm air. Speaking of which:

75 currently and sunny. Low tonight 56.
Same tomorrow. BUT they are saying Monday night will be in the 30s. So - from 15* above normal to 10* below normal. Crazy.

Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

61.2°(F) shedck, 63½°(F) porch, Mom came over, brought a roast, it's in the crock pot, I think she is worried Sue is not feeding me enough (she isn't).

We took a motorcycle trip down to Jax today, brief visit to see some friends and check out some pergo. Got a couple of good pics that I'll post.
My poinsettia is only a year old, hopefully it will grow taller next year.
I'm with Kelli - seems like Christmas is over the day after...now they're pitching Valentine's Day, will the madness never cease?!!
Kelli - glad the wind have stopped. I had a mother of thousands, took me a year to get rid of them, they were everywhere!
Dyson - LOL! My MIL says I overfeed Jeff!
I don't know what the temp was today, down in Jax it was pretty darn warm - in the mid to upper 80's. Tomorrow more of the same.
Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the evening...Then a chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Patchy fog late. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds up to 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Heading out 17S towards Jax.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!!! It's Dyson Dark! And still pretty warm out there ~ some "cold front". At the moment the temp is at 56*. And earlier it was 67*.
Nice View! Sharon. :D
Beautiful plant Kelli. Question ~ is it in the lily family? And am glad you don't have the wind today! :D
Dyson, that's not so Bad! the shedck temp is close to the porchck temp! :D :D :D

Supper's ready... Good Evening to you all!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

It's half past midnight so it's officially over ....... we had a fun time tonight - lighted some fireworks and sparklies. Actually managed to get Selma Rún out of the house so a good night all around. Missed the bonfires since we were a bit late with dinner - we'll try to catch them next year. Had hot cocoa and cookies when we got back inside. The weather was really nice - just around 32 I think, calm and a bit cloudy. A very nice ending to a wonderful Christmas :-)

Here are the girls with their "sparklies"

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Hope you all have a good night :-)

One of the fireworks ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

Rann - great pic of the girls with their sparklies and the fireworks. Glad all of you got to enjoy!
Here's another pic...

Still heading south on 17

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

MY MY MY, Those girls are pretty posers. I'm so glad that Selma was feeling well enough to go out for the festivites! Thanx again for sharing. :D
Sharon, you had a Great Day for riding, huh?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.