January's Daily Weather, Gleðilegt nýtt ár! Happy New Year!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – Duh – I haven’t even checked to see if I have a 3D option LOL :P Great pics – love the fern.
E-B – WooHoo! I guessed it! Give us another!
Lilypon – you said “…many find the wide openness of it tooooo overwhelming (and boring;).” Have you ever been to the outskirts of Wichita, Kansas (my DB used to live there), no offense, I loved it, but talk about a lot of “nothing”! That’s where I figured out what “amber waves of grain” meant. Thank you for the links, I’ve saved and will read later today.
Kelli – I love your pictures – especially the balck and whites – I’ve got to play with my camera options this weekend!
Kiska – I have to visit Alaska this year – there is so much beauty where you live! Have you seen the “meese” lately?!!

It’s summer again…blahblahblah
DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING
Includes the Counties: Duval, Nassau
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville
Today...Dense fog in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at Times. Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Going back to the greenway pics since it's foggy, wet and dark!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Kiksa that is pure beauty :-) I wouldn't want to deal with those cold temps - but I certainly enjoy the beauty from afar! :-)

Lilypon - that certainly is interesting reading. Scientists here have been experimenting with alternate fuel for public vehicles ...... We have hydrogen powered buses and they've also been experimenting with using methane on cars ..... both work very well. I know the hydrogen buses emit pure water vapor which can't be bad, don't know about the methane - but it's something less harmful in any case. The methane they use is a byproduct of the trash landfills ....... seems like both are pretty cool solutions, but very slow to get into general use. I read somewhere that cattle also contribute a considerable amount of methane to the atmosphere - some wiseguy here suggested that maybe it could be harnessed as fuel ;-)lol I can't believe the kind of temperatures you get there in the summer though - never thought Canada got those kinds of temperatures - that's hotter that Florida (!!!!) and that was too hot for me!

It's getting cold again here - the heatwave is over for now I think ..... it's 36°F, fairly calm and cloudy. I think we're supposed to get a low through here tonight - with some wind but not storm conditions though fortunately.

Sharon - the slow soaking rain you describe sounds very familiar - we get a lot of it here - and ofcourse we have a name for it = súld (sooled , as in fooled) ...... not very popular but very good for the vegetation ;-)

Kelli - that farm does look like a little piece of Heaven - what a beautiful setting! Love the hills there in the background too :-) And the photo of the pier is very good - very good effect with the black and white! :-)

Hope you all have a nice day!! The day is getting longer - sunrise is at 11:16 and sunset at 3:37 today :-) That's 14 min we've gained since solstice :-) That's 1 min. a day on average ...... getting there very slowly ..... but moving in the right direction ...

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everybody! It's Dyson-Dark out there, but the moon is brightly shining! It's a brisk 32*! Yes, I've been out there"traipsing" around and it's pretty & Dark ;) But we're supposed to get some rain this afternoon.
Rann, I have heard of the cow poop (methane) thing being looked into. It would be a minimal amount, but using resources none the less. My Chem. Prof. was working on a water powered car. I wonder how far he has gotten with it. He was supposed to present his idea at Va-Tech around the middle of Dec.
Kiska, I would love to have my driveway look like that, it's still not too late! (but I really have my doubts!)
Ric, if it were to snow or freeze, would you still get into the HT? :D What kind of medium do you grow the Mango's in? Do you grow them in the GH? (now that was about the Dumbest question I could have asked!!)
E_B, do you have another pic like the paper? That is so nifty ~ quite different. I do believe you have a good eye for that sort of thing. :)

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey
(my 200 yr. old oak)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Joey - how about another pic of the oak!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, Sharon, I'll have to wait for a little more light outside! ;) I took that pic standing on my front step. It's down over the hill (on the 1803 wagon road that marks the front of my acre). It's a big fella. You can see it from all over town. It would be great for a tree house, but there is so much PI in it that That is not possible!
Joey

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning!

It's 47 and light clouds this morning, heading for mid 50's and rain this afternoon. Just what we need...more water!

We finished the year at 12"+ over normal and it looks like we're going to make a dent in the average rainfall in the new one too. Our average runs about 43" and some parts of the state had over 55".

It's been a warm few weeks, but the first part of Dec was bitter cold, with some single digits recorded....go figure...

I'll take any day over freezing that I can get!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Wonderful pics of trees folks (gotta love em! :). Joey yours is certainly a keeper!!! Ü

Mysharona some days I find it boring too but when I really look I see much beauty out there...the herds of wildlife, birds (we are on the main North American migration path), a weathered tree alone in the middle of a field, a dugout oasis surrounded by wonderful shades of green and the amber waves of the fields, a lovely hidden green valley, and at the right time of day the fields glow and it takes my breath away. At times driving through it can be a strain but when you get out of the car and explore there are many hidden treasures to discover. Kansas I haven't been through but I've seen pics that look pretty similar. ;)

Rannveig I've read that too (re cattle)........would love to see a chart that compares the total estimated amounts released re culprits of methane gas. Humidity released in too high amounts isn't good either but I'd have to find my source again for that. Your country is on the right track tho and while some in the world are higher contributors we all are going to have to buckle down (Government, business and people). While in Swift Current I met (and overheard) many peeps talk about this unbelievable warm spell we are having. Now many believe it is exasperated by pollution.....however one man overheard us (he works for the oil field) and he got very touchy with our conversation. I'm not a scientist but I truly think that ,whether or not people want to believe emissions are a cause, pollution is killing (acid rain/ozone layer/smog) and I personally believe the scientists warnings that our current temperatures are also a symptom. We will probably have some years yet that are more *normal* but I think they will become fewer and farther between.

We certainly don't get the prolonged heat of Florida/Texas, and haven't yet reached their record breaking temps, but when it's hot everywhere we also get a taste of it and since our sunrise occurs at 4 am and sunset at 10 pm (Solstice) we have a harder time cooling off. Central Saskatchewan/Alberta/Manitoba still have much cooler summers then the southern parts of the provinces. Their nearness to the Boreal forest (and in Edmonton's case the mountains) helps.

Gotta get ready for work so will quit taking up so much space here. ;)

(Zone 5a)

Joey - that is a BIG oak! Too bad about the PI (poison Ivy??) ......

Here's today's photo - today is a bit blue rather than gray ..... still very nice really since it's calm and relatively warm .... nothing like the forcast. Photo was taken at 11:30 am

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Lilypon - you have to show us more photos of that amazing place you live :-)

And I absolutely agree with you that there is no question that pollution is the reason for this warming trend ..... I'm astounded that anyone could argue against that .......

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We are much warmer here overall than it was years ago....when my mom was young, everyone had ice skates and they had frozen ponds all winter to skate on....you couldn't buy a pair of skates within 200 miles now, and I wouldn't set foot on any frozen pond...there's usually not more than a thin skin of ice for a day or two now. When any body of water bigger than a 5 gallon bucket freezes over anymore it's out of the ordinary.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

43° Dewpoint: 37° Wind: W 3 MPH
Humidity: 79% Pressure: 30.14 in Hg
Average: High 38° Low 22°
Record: High 66° (1997) Low -4° (1879)
Today's Sunrise: 7:58AM Today's Sunset: 5:29PM
(09:31 hours of sunlight)

At 42° we were a 'little' colder than melody last night.
But as you can see 4° higher than the normal High for a Low.
We are looking at 60° and cloudy today. Getting dark as after sundown.

On the HT we got it last May so this is our first Winter w/ it.
Originally we planned on an open Roof and front.
There's nothing like being in a HT in the snow.
We all this rain and wind we've been having we tarp-ed the Roof and opening.
This makes it actually too hot so we open the front when it's in use.
We've been in it (pre-tarp) at 18° and it's just fine......... lol
You're sweating within 15 minutes

The Mangrove spend the Winter in the Hoophouse.... rest of the time out in the Sun.

kiska I love those pictures. For those of you who have never hiked in those conditions...you must try it!
The silence is deafening.
rannveig your shot looks like here today.

Ric

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's my S/O and our late Collie Dog Drake years ago when we got snow..... lol

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Ric - I really like the look of that hot tub - we've actually been thinking of getting one someday ;-) Drake was a beautiful dog - I really love Collies ...... I wanted one so bad when I was a kid! lol

Melody - it's the same story here - not much skating here now except indoors ...... I had iceskates when I was a kid and my dad took me skating on ponds and lakes close by ...... but it's not many days a year that there is thick enough ice anymore .......

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It's cloudy and dark but they aren't calling for much more than a trace of rain. Mainly they are calling for wind to follow this front and for it to continue for a couple days. I've had enough of that.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on January 04, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
50 °F / 10 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 44 °F / 7 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.13 in / 1020 hPa
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1000 ft / 304 m

(Zone 3b)

Nearly 9am, dark, Zero, calm, just great.
Gain of 2min 51 seconds - sunrise at 10:12, sets at 3:50pm.
Kitchen window view yesteday;
I think I've messed up a thread, and I apologize for whatever happened..hope it can be fixed..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, I go in about 8pm last night. I am glad to be home.
EB, I looked and looked, I agree wrapping paper.
75.9 °F / 24.4 °C
Clear
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 66 °F / 19 °C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h from the SSW
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
NO Windchill!!! LOL
Sidney

othings been messed up!

(Zone 3b)

Welcome home, sugarweed - so glad the windchill doesn't amount to anything.. :) no windchill here, either, Zero and calm..
henry10 - what a beautiful Drake/snowcovered driveway, too..so pretty - hot tub's pretty nice, too.
Thanks, music2keep -
Moose tracks on the walkway; they walk there to crop the currant bushes..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This doesn't look like rain, does it?

Thumbnail by Kelli
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

70.7°(F) porch (Still labeled shed), 80.2° (F) shed and like very bright.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

34.0 °F / 1.1 °C (little cooler here today :)
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 26 °F / -4 °C
Wind: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 29.53 in / 1000 hPa (Falling)
Windchill: 22 °F / -6 °C

A quick little break and a pic from today. We still manage to have outdoor ice so skates haven't become obsolete yet and in town we are *barely* hanging on to some snow:

Thumbnail by Lilypon
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Good Lord!! Short sleeves! I am freezing just looking at that picture!!!

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL! CeeJay! I'll bet they're working up a sweat!
Dyson ~ It's clouded up, here! Do you have Any Clouds? I can't see anything But! How Ever! it' is a Hot 60*. Even, tho it's very unseasonable, we might as well run with it. The remedy? We should all go visit Kiska! After I finish school, that will be my next goal. If the snow won't come here ~ I'm going to the Snow! :D
Kelli, that is Definitely Not rain! Hope you get some! (but not the wind)
Kiska, they just make themselves at home, huh? Constant intertainment! And your pic looks as if you've put a frame around it! Pretty neat. (& pretty)
Sidney, Glad you're back home.
Ric, Love that Hot Tub! "A spa for all seasons"! :D But I hope the pic was taken in warmer weather! Isn't that one at the door a Split Leaf Phillidendron(sp)? And I love you snow w/Drake! A beautiful Collie!
Rannveig, That is a beautiful Blue! Gorgeous!

Gottta go take a pic of that Oak. I was out a little earlier & eberything is budding! MF Rose, blackberrry vines, Clematis! I even have (what looks like) buds on my newly planted Rhodo's! (oh, well)

Joey

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

If they're working up a sweat, they should be covered in ice, very shortly! Look at the temps and wind!

(Zone 3b)

Tough group there, Lilypon - they just turn a "cold shoulder" to the cold...
music2keep - wow - budding plants already - hope to see the oak soon...and, when you finish school, I'll look forward to seeing you here. There are moose tracks in the front woods today, so they're hanging around..
Believe or not - there is sunlight today - I've taken a photo, for proof, but haven't unloaded them yet...Sunlight comes with the price of colder temps.. it's dropped to
9 below zero and due to go a bit lower, but it's well worth that and then some...days of gray are ok,but light is better.
Sunlight last Feb....looks the same today... :)
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Rann – beautiful pic – I love all the rocks/mini boulders!
Lilypon – please show us more pictures on your area
Ric – I really like how you’ve set up the hot tub space, very nice. Drake was beautiful. I have always loved collies, they’re all Lassie to me! They’re skating in t-shirts, I’d be freezing!
Kiska – that’s quite a view from your window – amazing at the amount of snow you’ve received. I think you’re getting everyone else’s!
Kelli – you’re cracking me up!

Tonight...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of evening showers. Patchy fog in the evening...Then areas of fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 5 mph.

We've been foggy all day. I could have sworn the weatherman said it was going to clear up at 9am then at 11am...!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3009255930098477435

Okay this is my first video. I didn't realize I was turning so fast, didn't seem like it (but I have no clue how long the video will film) and I could have at least said something!! Here we are at work, can't see anything, but we're here - in my lovely southern twang!

This was taken at 3:30

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 7:00 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

this was taken at 5:15

it's the airport...I think it was closed!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Mr Hawk came back!!

I asked him to strike a pose

Thumbnail by MySharona
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ric your pics remind me of here ....... too much of a change.

Ceejay our weather is taken from the local airport (just outside of town). The temperature matches my location but the windchill doesn't always (most of Moose Jaw is in a valley and the airport is on the top flatlands). Plus the above skating rink is more in the centre of the park and is surrounded by larger houses in an older treed neighbourhood. It can be -30 F (or even colder) but even then if you are in a very sheltered area (without wind) and the sun is shining snow can be melting there. Without the wind they were building up a sweat. I grew up on the top of north hill and the temps of skating rink there always matched both temp and windchill.

MySharona WOW.......looking at your pic also reminds me of here (when the clouds are full of snow and low lying ;). Can't see your video (work puter isn't setup for downloading) but will later. :)

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 6:17 PM

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 6:34 PM

(Zone 3b)

Sharon, looks as if the weather forecast was wrong - that's some pea-soup fog...now, if it would freeze, just think how pretty that would be. :) Speaking of fog, it's really foggy out of Palmer, on the "bridges", and a major accident has just happened, according to the news.
The snow is quite deep now...it's been on the ground since October 29th, so there has been settling, but these past few storms have really dumped a lot.
It's nearly sundown, Minus 10 degrees, calm, turning pink out...come to Alaska in the winter -- ---kiska
"your" hawk takes instructions very well, sharon...very nice.

Thumbnail by kiska
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

One last comment before I gotta leave ........ Kiska that mountain shot is FANTASTIC!!! (and send some snow here please ;). note to self.......Gotta wand up here a bit before I post.

Kiska - The moutain pic is a beauty! I wish you could take a picture of the pink, I'm sure that's a sight to see!
Here's one more pic of the fog

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Here's pink alpenglow on Byers, where I live. Not taken today, but is the same...
Would love to send snow - wish that I could.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

This is to the right of Byers, looking toward Knik Glacier. Taken at the same time as previous one...(not today), but may as well be.
oops, out of focus, sorry.
kiska

This message was edited Jan 4, 2007 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That Pink Snow is magnificent!

Sharon I love that Hawk! Red-shoulder Hawk BTW

52° and Rainy here.
The Rain should go thru tomorrow evening w/ temps on the mid/upper 50's thru Saturday,
near 50° at night!
Man this is some wierd weather!

Here's two years ago Christmas.... 14"
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kiska what an awesome place to live. I bet you know what true silence sounds like.
Sharon I think you have a new "Guard Hawk".
I saw the Moon Wednesday morning as it was bright through the window in Texas and then again last night before breaking through the clouds and landing at the airport here in Jax.
70.3 °F / 21 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 63 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h from the South
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa
Sidney

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu! Ya'll! I am sitting here rather pooped, but happy none the less. It's 58*! still. It got up to 60* & hasn't budged much. It hasn't rained yet, either. I have been checking all of my "stuff" & I can't believe all the things that are sprouting! My Clematis! Ughhh....
Kiska, I really like the "pink" snow. Much better than "yellow"!:D
Sharon, now that's what I call SOUP. That could be very dangerous, no wonder the air port was closed! Aha! You have the Hawks Eye! Don't pay any attention to me ~ I'm sitting up in my sleep. So it would be in everybody's best interest if I were to "depart".
I did, however, get a few pix of the Oak. I will go down on the road below tomorrow & see if I can get a pic that shows the whole thing. It's just Way too big! But here's an idea...See the hole? That hole is 10 feet off the ground!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

And in this one I am ponting at the PI ~ Huge!

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hello all! So many great photos.
Warm again today. Cloudy. Trees are flowering.
I've been preocupied today. Here's why.
Gus! Our new pup. Just brought him home today.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
What a cutie!
Looks like a old member of the House of Lords to me!
Don't exactly know why but.........

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.