January's Daily Weather, Glešilegt nżtt įr! Happy New Year!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Is "Sir" part of that puupy's name?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Naaww, just Gus. :)
Only one more...promise. Here he is watching his crate get set up.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well he looks very noble to me. I like Gus, had a doxie for 21 years named that.
Sidney

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi all!! It got up to 59* today with gusty winds. Was supposed to be cloudy but hey it decides to rain on us!! And our weatherman made no mention of it on the evening news. Idiots sometimes. It was cold out because of the wind, at least to me. It felt more like the 40s. Could have been worse but still...

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Deb - Gus is so precious!!! Is he a West Highland White Terrier? We had a female - gawd we loved that dog!

Sharon - That fog looks so dangerous. I've been caught in it driving, and there are no rules to follow. I just wish there were some rules! It's all just one big accident waiting to happen....

All the pictures of the snow are awesome and beautiful - but I grew up in Nebraska with snow, lived in Minnesota with snow, Colorado - again snow. I have become very fond of no snow, and no really cold weather. I don't even like to see my breath when I'm outside. Love to visit, don't want to stay. Wuss.

Tonight: Clear to partly cloudy. Low 51F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High near 75F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.

And it's all downhill after that - more rain, and in the 30's Monday night. We have been having a deluge of rainy and gray.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rain 63.3°(F) porch, 58.1°(F) shed - dark & drizzling.

Coverage meeting in Lynchburg today, so no cutting across the mountains to Danville. Lynchburg is just as far but east more than southeast. Hope I can find the place ok haven't been there in a year. The good part is that the meeting is not until 9:00 so I can have another cup of coffee (or dozen) and not leave till after daylight (there will be daylight today won't there?).

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Kiska – Pink is one my favorite colors. Your pink mountains and sky are stunning. Wish I could be there to see it. I didn’t think about what the fog would look like frozen, it would be pretty. Of course, everything would close because we don’t know how to drive on the ice!
Ric – now there’s some snow I could play in!
Joey – that’s one huge tree, can’t wait to see more!
Deb – I agree, he is very noble looking, Sir Gus!! So well behaved too!
Ceejay – Very lucky I live in a small area. If I need to I can take the side roads anywhere and use the low beams. (unlike Houston)
Dyson – have a safe trip to Lynchburg, hopefully it won’t be dark.

Today...Mostly cloudy and breezy. Slight chance of showers in the morning...Then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds and small hail in the late afternoon. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

We’ll be getting that nasty weather today, darn I wanted to paint the slab.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! :D We're getting a good, soaking rain! Have had 1/2" so far. Arggg, I left my boots outside! :( The temp is 54*! I guess we're getting spring, already.
Dyson, have a good trip. If you get lost, just go exploring...
Deb, your lil' Gus is Adorable! & is very well mannored! The word "Sir" does come to mind...like Sidney says.
Sharon, (Hawk Lady) Oh, that may be your new name! I tend to give folks new names. :D Hope you get to paint that concrete soon. I have stuff to send you! I hope to get a better pic of that tree today...but if it keeps raining like it is, I may have to wait until tomorrow.
Rann, I'll try to get your seeds out this week end...
Ric, I wish we still had snows like that! It made for better spring flowers!
Here's a pic of the Multiflora rose coming out!

Have a good Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Debi what a doll! :) I've always admired that breed.

Joey here's what I was referring to re humidity

"We blame global warming on greenhouse gases, but there is one gas you've probably never thought of in that context: water vapor or humidity. It's about 60% of the total greenhouse gases (carbon dioxide makes up a good part of the rest along with methane and others). Well, if something changes the average humidity, you get fairly rapid results from that. On a local scale, the difference between a clear and a cloudy night is something you immediately know because the cloudy night, in effect, forms something of a blanket that holds the heat in; when you don't have all that near-ground humidity, you can lose a lot of heat. So things that change water vapor are something to worry about because it's potentially so fast acting.

A gradual change will sometimes produce gradual results but sometimes things can get to a point where they tip over. I mean, if you're starting to pick up the edge of a table and you pick it up a little more, and a little more, and a little more--at some point everything slides off the table. And if you keep going, at some point the table flips."

and

"And, of course, human behavior is making them even more probable. Consider the problem in terms of global warming. Basically, the rising temperatures have a critical impact on tropical waters which evaporate more as they get hotter and hotter. That means more humidity in the atmosphere, more greenhouse cover, more temperature spikes, and more evaporation. But what goes up as evaporation/humidity must come down, and it does come down in the form of rainfall, particularly as heavy rainfall concentrated in the higher latitudes. You might not think that rain over the oceans as a problem, and in 98% of the ocean surface it isn't, but at the higher latitudes heavy rainfall changes ocean currents and disrupts the Gulf Stream as well as altering wind circulation. The net effect is that as the North Atlantic currents fail and winds change, we flip from our present warm and wet mode to a cool, dry, windy, and dusty climate."

Excerpts from
Climate Change And The Rate Of Change

Dr. William H. Calvin is affiliate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle. . Dr. Calvin's lecture at Westminster was based on his book A Brain for All Seasons: Human Evolution and Abrupt Climate change (University of Chicago Press, 2002)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I found that article when looking for an explanation for the current high humidity Saskatchewan has been getting. Normally we only have high humidity when it's either raining or we are having snow melt. When we were at -34 F we had 80% humidity.......Saskatchewan then is normally exceptionally dry (around 20% humidity).

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Lilypon, this really Is distrubing. I had no idea about the Gulf Stream being disrupted. I suppose it has the "domino effect", huh? All of life is connected...I found this in the Current section of the Roanoke Times (the daily paper) yesterday. http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/98612 Very upsetting.
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Thank for sharing all the info. Boring weather here today

Forecast for Fri Jan 5
Manson, IA
Cloudy 30°F
32°...38°

There a heavy fog over the lake. We are going to Omaha, NE for a couple of days. Hopefully it will lift and we won't have to drive in that stuff.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It really is. In this thread I posted an article re Gulf Stream: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/668977/ (I posted there twice...I believe it is the second article).

Here's a thread dpmichael ... Dmitri posted in (he's a back surgeon in Greece): http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/679879/ (read the first post and 9th post in that thread).

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 8:28 AM

(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon all! It's a beautiful day here, 36°F, fairly calm and mostly cloudy. We got some heavy rainfall last night then it froze over so the streets were covered with a sheet of ice this morning - very slick ......

Lilypon and Joey - Another threat to the Gulf Stream is the glacial meltdown accopanied by higher temps. If the Gulf stream were to be disrupted in some way we'd be living in igloos - it would really be devastating ...... there are differing views on that subjects so we do like we always do - hope for the best .... the icelandic mentality can be summed up in 2 words "Žetta reddast" (Ž = th as in "thing") ..... which basically means - things will work out for the best somehow .....

Joey - thanks I'll start getting yours ready as well ;-)

Sharon - that was some thick fog!!! Love the photos of the hawk!

Debi - Gus is such a sweet pup! Congratulations :-)

Kiska - beautiful photos of the pink glow on the snow :-) You certainly got plenty of it!!!

Dyson - have a good trip :-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day !!

Rannveig

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Quick message as we're tiling,
It's already 63° here. The record is 64° .

Grey and Gloomy but...........

Ric

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

OMG Ric.....you really had me going for a minute there.....I thought you wrote TILTING!!! I thought the weather had really taken a turn for the worst. (giggle)
Pati

PS. I'll believe anything at this point. My Caladiums that are supposed to be sleeping, have reappeared from their brief nap and are hip-high!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2007 11:14 AM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Extremely foggy. light but not bright. 68.4°(F) porch, 64.2°(F) shed everything is wet.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Greetings from the windy city.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 05, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
50 °F / 10 °C
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 26 °F / -3 °C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the NNW

A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 12 PM PST Saturday.

Strong northerly winds 25 to 45 mph with gusts to around 60 mph
will continue through Saturday morning with the winds shifting to
the northeast today.

(Zone 3b)

10:30am, light but no sun, Minus 13 degrees, quiet; some ice fog crystals drifting down.
The sunlight of yesterday was short-lived...lasted a couple of hours, then, gone to who knows where...
kelli - that's some windy weather down there. Wind can be so destructive, if not destructive, then depressing.
Dyson - light but not bright - so much better than the dark .
Sun struggling to win over the grayness.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The sun won out - yesterday, anyway :)
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My caladiums and cannas are coming up. My snapdragons, zinnias, geraniums, kalanchoe and my Christmas cactus are all blooming.

It’s been a dreary day today. The sun peeked out for about an hour. The high was supposed to be 83, but it only reached 77 - now it’s 73.

TORNADO WATCH 6 IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM EST THIS EVENING
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Jacksonville
Tonight...Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening...Then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some thunderstorms May be severe with large hail and damaging winds. Lows in the lower 60s near the coast to around 60 inland. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Please be careful, Sharon!

It's been a pretty day here. Sunny and in the 70s. It's going to be gloomy gray and drizzly for the next few days, and cooling down to the 60s. I'm glad we got to see the sun for one day, anyway! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (11 min ago)
Temperature 70 °F 21 °C
Dew Point 57 °F 14 °C
Humidity 63%
Pressure 29.78 in 1008.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir S 180°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Lightning detector not working.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 52.0°F / 11.1°C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

63.7°(F) shed - now properly labeled - 68.2 ° porch - getting "dark"

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Night all -

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

'night, Dyson! Sleep well. :-)

(Zone 5a)

Kiska - beautiful photos :-) What a beautifully blue sky :-)

Sharon - nice fountain! Hope there won't be any tornadoes ........ I used to hate those tornado watches - was always so scared of those tornadoes .....

Kelli - I'm starting to think LA is the windiest place in N-america! lol You certainly get plenty of it - at least this time of year. Hope it dies down soon!

There were 46 minor traffic mishaps today in Reykjavķk due to the very slick driving conditions this morning ...... heavy rains and frost don't mix well. It rained a bit this evening again and I'm guessing it'll freeze again tonight ....

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

just stopping in to check the weather and pictures! beautiful poem sugarweed!

tf

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I onlly just found us, looking for tornado threads.
Am watching some news film on the wather chanel.
Back in a bit.
We had a light dusting of snow of the stick to grass and evergreeens kind this mornig when we woke up.

BBL

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sharon, I've never had caladiums return. Once they die down, they're done. I treat them as annuals. Any idea what the secret is to getting them to come back?

Rann, not all parts of L.A. are as windy as where I am, but on the other hand, there are some parts that are even windier. In the fall the winds are warm and tolerable, but now they are cold and getting old. It really isn't all that nice out - certainly not as nice as 60F and sunny should be. Everyone is getting colds and I think it is due to the dry air.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on January 05, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
60 °F / 16 °C
Clear
Humidity: 7%
Dew Point: -4 °F / -20 °C
Wind: 15 mph / 24 km/h / 6.7 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s

Earlier I promised a picture of toyon (i.e. "California holly" - not a holly, remember). Here it is, taken on a non-windy day. There actually was one, LOL.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

It was 56ŗ here at 6:00am this morning, a warm start to a very dark and rainy day. I'm not sure how much rain, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least a couple of inches.
It looks like the temps are going to fall into the low 30's by the middle of next week. We might get a little snow here yet.

Nice alpenglow Kiska!

It's almost maple suger time!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gus thanks you for all the compliments. I've just had to post a question over on the pets forum about him. He has a yelping, barking, whining thing going on everytime I put him in the crate. He's perfectly behaved otherwise...but I'm losing my hearing! :0

Can't even think at the moment. Trying to come up with a strategy!

Will check back more "on topic' shortly! ;)
Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it's 9 pm Jan 5 and 63° .................... WHAT's wrong w/ this picture?

I'll have to play a little bit of Catch Up on the last few days Posts and Pics.
We've been deep in another part of the Bathroom Remodel and haven't been on much.
After a couple of weeks of Demo, Holidays and rebuilding we finally started putting up the Tile!
Here's what's up so far.
From this....

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

To This....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Better shot

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ric, you just come on down here and do some work on my house.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

MySharona I hope all is still well there?

Rannveig I hope the weather decides to go one way or the other for you (preferably that it dries up and then you stay below freezing)......I really dislike the conditions you are driving in now.

Early-bloomer I've always wanted to head east at when the sap is running in the Maples.

Always wondered what a California Holly was.....thanks Kelli :)

Wonderful job Ric........we could use you too! :)

DH had another out of town call and since I had my 2nd day off today I joined him.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Guess where we went? :)

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Somewhere near Cypress Lake..... off the 21......
OK I cheated... lol

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good evening! The temp at the moment is 61*! The is getting rediculous! The high was 70! So, I have been roasting all day.
Ric, you have been working up a Real sweat! Nice Job! Can you lay a wood floor? Or how about a deck? You're just a regular handy man. :D
Lilypon, Cypress Hills!?? I know that you're Geocacheing! I just don't have an accurate map of Sask. I do it the hard way, via Atlas. Rather challenging. I have done some checking on the geocacheing here in WV, but will have to wait til school is done...lack of time. I do good to go to the store. Did you get the pic of the "Mulies" while you were out? Pretty Neat!
Deb, I haven't got a clue as how to help. :( Good Luck!
E_B, I'd say the sap really Is flowing...too warm.
Kelli, That is the Mother Load! Wow!
Rann, do be careful when you go out! That is the Worst driving conditions! Snow is Much easier to drive on...
Dyson? Is it Dark? How did your meeting go? And did you find the place with minimal hassel?
Sharon, I hope the tornado watch has passed! with nothing coming of it. Your plants look good & healthy, for sure.
Kiska, am glad that you got some sun (to perk up the spirit). Love those snow shots! :D

Evenin'...All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Joey: I love the sillouette of the trees!
Kiska: You pics reminde me of Dr.Zhivago. Frigid. Beautiful.

Ahhh. Puppy Gus has ceased his barking and is napping. Now I can think! :)

High today was ***76 degrees!***
Currently it's 72 and raining (and Dyson dark).
75 and sunny tomorrow.

We have mild winters but not thismild!

Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.