January's Daily Weather, Gleðilegt nýtt ár! Happy New Year!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, Dyson. I think that job you have right now is too good to bail on. I too have CRS, ie 'Can't Remember S___!' I have to go install an outdoor sensor that I gave DC for Christmas before I leave. She is 70 going on 55, but has Authritis, etc.
It's up to 44 °F / 7 °C & Clear. The Windchill is 39 °F / 4 °C.
Got to go to library to get my boarding pass.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

63.7°(F) Shed, 59.2°(F) Porch (both dropping).

Pulled a carrot from the garden today, it was good (though small) and noticed that I have not lost all the broccoli as feared to the cold as yet. Hope I get something from those plants before we have a real freeze. If not it was a nice experiment.

Need to get a real thermometer and do a comparison check. Maybe I can write a "curve" and have accurate readings.

Care to all.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops!! Sorry Deb and Sharon! :-)

(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your compliments guys - but I'm no photography expert (that's EB ;-)) - to take photos of fireworks you need a tripod and a manual setting on the camera - the panorama shots varied from 5-8 sec with an aperture of 20 .... the ones of the house were 1-2 sec exposures. - or if there's a fireworks setting on the camera that might work fine as well ;-) I wish I could have stayed out longer since the weather was so great and it's just an amazing sight to see - but couldn't stay away from the girls longer. Sure hope Selma will get over her fear someday ......

TLC - sure hope you'll manage to get some photos on the 4th of July - sounds like a wonderful show! Couldn't have fireworks here in the summer since it doesn't get dark ..... not until late August anyway.

Sidney - LOL - yes it says Happy New Year ;-) - I thought it was very nice to see Icelandic in the title :-D

Ric - lol - who makes those silly rules I wonder??? Seems to be no point in being able to buy the darned things if you can't do anything with them.

Incidentally - the clean up has begun - they're estimating about 500 tons of rubbish after that fireworks feast! Talk about a hang over ....... Well - not everybody's happy about the noise and pollution that goes with this enormous party and there are voices that think it's a terrible waste of money. Most of the proceeds do go to the volunteer rescue groups that rescue people that get into trouble in the interior or wandering up on mountains or something like that ........ so it's partly for a good cause. There have been private retailers getting on the market in the past years looking for a quick profit which the rescue groups aren't very happy about ....... anyway - it's fun - although it might be "just a bit" over the top ......

One more of the mad feast :-) - might have posted it already - sorry if I'm repeating myself! :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Joey – Callie sure is pretty!
Rann –great links to the fireworks! You definitely had some pretty shows on New Year Eve. The girls look so cute while dad is getting smoked out.
Ric – that is one funny law – you can buy them…you can set them off…but not at home! I just saw this on Wikipedia - “There is growing interest to develop Arabis alpina as a model organism for genetics, population genetics, and molecular biology. The first genetic map has been created.” Very pretty flowers and interesting!
TLC – what a great tradition! Sounds like a great time. We have the parade of lights before Christmas. Boat owners light up their boats and float down the St. Johns, it’s really pretty to watch. I’d love to see pictures if you can get them. I’ve never thought about an “online” photography course. Taking a photography course is something I’ve been talking to DH about, just found this link.
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-courses/digital-photography-course.htm
Deb – we’ve been close in the weather temps lately, our high today was 65 and the lows in the low 40’s. Beautiful sky pic.
Dyson – You’re cracking me up!! LOL!! I used to grow broccoli, the flowers are really pretty if you can’t eat the broccoli fast enough!
Marylyn – LOL!
Sidney - hope you had a safe trip home!

It’s illegal to have fireworks, bottle rockets, etc. here as well. I think too many people were getting hurt/killed. I believe you have to be licensed to purchase. I didn’t see Mr. Hawk today, but that doesn’t mean he isn't around, he’s lurking somewhere!

Our beautiful sunrise this morning...

Thumbnail by MySharona
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Well it's a darn side better than what they do in Los Angeles; in spite of warnings of the danger every year, some goofball goes out and shoots guns in the air.

Thanks for the tips, Rann. You beautiful photo gives me something to aspire to!

arlene

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon I remember so many sunrises in Fla (and other beaches) thank you.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

A bright sunny day has turned into a cold clear night here in NW Pa. A nearly full moon is lighting the night skies. Mid-fourties and plenty of sunshine in the forecast for tomorrow.

Most fireworks are illegal here in Pa. too but we have plenty of fireworks stores. The catch is if you have have an out of state drivers license you can buy the stuff by the truckload! Ohio is the same way so they come to Pa. to buy fireworks and we go to Ohio to buy ours! Not that I would ever do that........... :)

Here's something a little different.......can you guess what it is?

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Those laws are so un-enforceable. In Jax they shoot guns and last year they got my tinted plate glass window. Just about $300. I'll take fireworks thank you!
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Oh we can buy them here in OH quite legally and easily.
You just show ID and sign a paper saying we're taking them out of State.
We just can't shot them off Legally... lol

Since there are a few FL natives or were natives here...
Any ideas on an ID... found near St. Augustine floating along in the ocean.

32° and not so dark tonight.
You could read by the Moonlight....
Hope the HT is still 104° as I'm headed there in a few minutes...
If not I'll be back in fewer minutes! LOL

Ric

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 9:22 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Guess a picture would help...........

Thumbnail by henryr10
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Early,
What is the picture?

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Ric.....I didn't know that. I thought that form was just for law-breakers from Pa.!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Man, I today is not a good DG day. LOL I can't keep up with everyone and have given up for tonight. Here is a picture of the sunrise at work this morning. We also had a full moon but didn't get any pics of it since I was driving. Will try to remember tomorrow if it is out. It was in the low 20s this morning and got into the mid to high 40s. Not too bad.

Have a great night everyone!!

Thumbnail by pepper23
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Every body! I have no idea what the temp is.....(went to the window to see). It is now 35*. It was up to 48* today, with lots of sun! It's supposed to get into the 20's tonite. ~ Now that's more like it! :D

E_B, that looks like an ice cube that is freezing on one side & fire hot on the other! Or it could be a square diamond woth a magnifying glass on top & light underneath. (I have a whacky imagination) BTW ~ that's a great shot of another kind of fire! (works) :D
LOL! Ric! Did ya have any Vodka ~ Before you started to the hot tub? :D And that looks like a quarter to me! (hehe) Yea, go ahead and call me a wise acre....I'm on a role.
Todd, I knew Rann would give you some pointers & practice makes perfect. (but in my case ~ practice makes perfect ~ sorta ;)

Joey

E_B – Clueless on the first 2 pics, the fireworks pic is great! Did you take it? The first – some type of seed pod? Any ideas Sidney? I haven't been to St. Augustine in about 2 years, too hot, too crowded, love my little island!
Pepper – pretty sunrise!
Ric – you’re killin’ me with the hot tub! I used to have one, but it was such a pain to clean, etc…(or maybe I’m just too lazy), but you’ve got me wanting another!
Nice morning here – dark, no snow, about 47 on the porch.

Today...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 70s. Northeast winds 10 mph.

No sunset last night, it was very cloudy. Another sunrise pic from yesterday...

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning! Sharon and pepper - those are really nice sunrises!! :-)

EB - now you have to tell us what that first photo is - I'm stumped! ;-) Great fireworks photo!! :-) You should be the one giving pointers not me! ;-)

Ric - that hot tub sounds so nice - I wouldn't mind having one either! ..... Those seed pods are interesting ... hope someone can fill us in on what they are :-) btw the white flower is really pretty - is it Arabis? Can't wait for those happy spring days!

Here's a photo of my raised "rock garden" bed covered in frost on New Year's day :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! All! It's a Frosty 30* outside. Rann, your frost looks as heavy as ours. BTW ~ seeds will be coming, soon. :D
Wow! Sharon, That one is prettier than the one before!I haven't taken any pix of the sky in a while & think that I need to.
But I did take some pix at the New Years day party at my sissy's.
Look what I got! :D

Have a Great Day ! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Good morning!

Love the fireworks shots....I guess we're the only part of the world that does not shoot anything into the sky on new Years. It's pretty quiet with nothing but the drunk rednecks stumbling home about 3am.

Today it's 30 degrees with a hard frost on.....supposed to get up around 50. It's a beautiful clear day with no clouds, so I'm betting it will get there....at the very least. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'll enjoy today.

Things are starting to look springlike. I'm seeing green grass and lots of things are showing new growth. It's way too early for this. In another month, I'd be thrilled...but I know it's only a matter of time before stuff gets bit.

Here's what I found the other day.....I'll be shocked if these actually bloom without getting nipped. I just noticed the Henbit in the background with a little purple bloom too....It won't faze that stuff if it turns off cold...it's bombproof.

Thumbnail by melody
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Oh, Melody! Way Too Soon. :( Is it some sort of Crocus? This weather....Argggg.

(Zone 5a)

Melody - looks like spring arrived about 3 months early there!

Joey - great photo! :-D No hand?? lol

It's a beautiful day here - clear skies, calm and 38°F ..... no complaints here!

Here's a close up of that frost on New Year's day ..

Thumbnail by rannveig
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

These are plain old yellow trumpet daffodils....a month to 6 weeks early here in west KY.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Wow! Rann, on second thought ~ your's is way heavier!
LOL! Yep,, No hand! Emily was taking the pic, Plus his auntie fussed when he tried to use the hand! He minds her better then Me! ;)

Miss Em...

Thumbnail by music2keep
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Melody, that is much too early! This whole thing (weather) kinda worries me, but there's not a thing we can do, huh?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

28° Dewpoint: 27° Wind: Calm
Humidity: 96% Pressure: 30.39 in Hg

Average: High 38° Low 22°

We're looking at 55° and Sunny. This will be followed by 38° and Moonlit tonight.

Funny Melody except for the Muscari, no bulbs are up yet.
I'll have to take a closer look. Daff?

e_b, It's a prism affect. I'm guessing Moon thru an icy window or glass block?

Rannveig the white is in fact Arabis. The white does Quite well here.
Can't get the Pink or Yellow to establish at all.

Here's another volunteer Pulmonaria (we have a couple of dozen including the volunteers)
showing some strong new growth.
One variety 'Red Start' usually blooms in March. (It's one of two grown for flowers not foliage)
I'll have to pull the mulch back and check it.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric, will they surviveifi we ever get winter conditions? This is all very troubling...

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

From my experience, perennials will come back even after they get bit by a freeze. They always have. Think of the mid spring surprise freeze....they happen too, and although things aren't as pretty that spring...they survive and pull through it.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yes, you're right. This is all so unreal, tho. & I do tend to be a worry wart.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Music2Keep your not the only one:

Currently here:
39 °F / 4 °C
N/A
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 32 °F / 0 °C
Wind: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s from the WSW
Pressure: 29.33 in / 993 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 28 °F / -2 °C

Environment Canada's senior climatologist Dave Phillips said he has no doubt global warming is now a fact of life in Canada after the country recorded the warmest winter and spring on record and the second-warmest summer.

If fall 2006 had been a little warmer instead of being the 13th warmest, it would have been the warmest year on record, he noted.

"Are there any doubting Thomases any more?" Phillips asked.

"The evidence is irrefutable that Canada is warming up, the world is warming up and the evidence just keeps pouring in. It's likely sooner rather than later we'll see the ice disappear in summertime in the Arctic and that'll be the first time in a million years.

Note Canada's Ayles Ice Shelf — 66 square kilometers (41 square miles) of it — broke clear 16 months ago from the coast of Ellesmere Island, about 800 kilometers (500 miles) south of the North Pole in the Canadian Arctic. http://www.tiny.cc/Oyve0

This message was edited Jan 3, 2007 9:05 AM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Lilypon, That's all I seem to be thinking. But I have gotten a lot of disbelief from friends & family...they look at me like I'm nuts. In Biology this past semester my professor, said that studies show something major happens every 1 million years. I'm wondering (reading between his lines & the lines of my text) that maybe we're there.
Am I really nuts? or just the worry wart that I truely am?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Pulmonaria are VERY tough.
Most years the volunteers stay evergreen.
But they don't put NEW growth on this early.
Ric

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

They are in denial. LarsenB shelf collapsed in the Antarctic in 2002 due to warmer temperatures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larsen_Ice_Shelf

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Rhose Island doesn't seem all that large, but That's a considerable Chunk!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Yep. :(

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a good article that was just published over the weekend in The Independent, a British newspaper. Scientists are warning about the combined effects over the next twelve months of an El Nino that is currently building in the Pacific and global warming. If you have gardens or if you farm, I think you will be especially interested in this information as you plan for the coming growing season.
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2116873.ece

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Thanx Darius! Well, I'm off to go read up!

I've been playin'.....

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link darius - very interesting reading. It is worrying - although the general opinion here is that warmer is better since it's always cold here ........ I remember 1997 and 1998 were very good summers here - so maybe an El Nino means a warm summer for us ....... wouldn't mind that since last summer was really wet and cool ....... Maybe we should check on whether there's and El nino before we decide if we should go to Spain for summer vacation ..... hmmmm

But on a less selfish note - the global warming trend is worrying - I wish greater measures were being taken to turn things around ........ often seems like too little too late ......

(Zone 3b)

8am - 12 degrees, snowing, dark and so quiet and muffled outside...just like another world out there. Sorry for those not getting the winter snowfall that you usually get..this is the snowiest in years here.
At 8am and I'm already so far behind in all the postings; just know that I've loved reading/photos of flowers, something unknown, your kids joey, and frosty plants.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Howdy, I writing from the Amarillo, Texas airport. It's sunny and about 40 º out. Bright, very bright.
My plane is running about an hour behind and I only had 80 minutes between flights in Houston as it was. No telling when I'll get to Jax. I am going to install a phone in my home where the ringer CANNOT be disconnected, grrrrrrrrrr!!!
I was lucky to find wireless available here. If it's a T-Moble Airport, they want $10.
I got a good blast of Texas Moonshine this morning. It's hard to sleep the night before a trip. I had an absolutely wonderful time and 'lost'12 pounds. I had recently put 22 on, so I am glad I am shrinking. Mostly water as my ankles were swollen.
Sharon & Ric I have no Idy about the seeds, D-mail Jeremy, he'll know. I may call him in a few, I'll refer him here if I do.
Sidney

Rann – Your rock garden is pretty in the frost. I bet it’s gorgeous in Spring and Summer.
Joey – He’s so handsome! He has your smile!
Melody - Maybe they’ll be able to bloom a little before it gets cold again. Everything is blooming too early. I don’t think there is anything “plain” about daffodils! They are so bright and happy. Love the stitching!!
Lilypon and Joey – I seriously think we’re in trouble. My dad was a geophysist. About 20 years ago I asked him what he thought about global warming and the ozone layer. He said that the universe is very old, and without a doubt the ozone layer is diminishing and has been for a long time. Things like this don’t happen overnight, but we (every society) has contributed in some way to cause more trouble. The more advanced the society, the more damage is caused. He also said that global warming is a fact (this was 20 years ago) and care should be taken. He could see the changes where most people couldn’t. Scared me then, still does.
Kiska - your pictures are beautifully spooky!

We're still overcast, the sun has tried to break through, but no luck yet. The sunriser this morning was similar to yesterday's.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.