(167 votes, 37%)
Red dot

A classic auto/truck
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other - ?
(18 votes, 4%)
Red dot

No wheels of my own - I ride the bus, walk, taxi, or ride with someone)
(21 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Myrtle Beach, SC

My main wheels are a 2000 Toyota Sienna van, but for our 31st Anniverysary in July my DH surprised me with a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible ! She is saphire blue with black on white leather interior. What a RIDE !! I had never owned a convertible and I just love this car !!! God bless, Margo

Bee Spring, KY(Zone 6a)

I started out with a 1991 Chevy Z71 350 v8 stock. Now have the same Chevy modified, Stealth hood, Euro lights, 4in body lift, short stepside bed, $2,500.00 paint job (Sonic Blue/Pearl Metalic).......thanks to my DH........and no it's all mine......I drive her to work everyday and use her on the farm when needed. Sorry about the snow, the only picture I had.
Sweet_Pea

Thumbnail by Sweet_Pea
New Delhi, India(Zone 10a)

Enjoying 2 new cars this year (2006 models)--a silver grey Mercedes E200 Kompressor (supercharged), and a white Porsche Cayenne outfitted for off-road travel. Lovely cars both! I find the Mercedes a deliciously smooth dream drive, while the Porsche is a gutsy powerhouse.

The Porsche and its trademark throaty engine causes quite a stir wherever I take it, also maybe because there are less than 300 Porsches in the whole country. On one recent occasion in a traffic jam at a society function, the traffic police actually made other cars backup (including Mercedeses) and cleared out the way for my Porsche. Embarrassing, to say the least.Only problem is that Delhi has no clear roads for these cars.

Even so, having lots of fun with these two new wheels--totally trouble-free (so far)! Actually, my son is having more fun with these two new additions, although he has a great Skoda Turbo sports. My other older cars are a 2003 Hyundai Sonata GLS--feels and looks a bit like a Jaguar, and a 2004 Toyota Innova Tdi. The Toyota is my most used favorite car--it has an amazingly efficient fuel consumption and seats 8 people comfortably, and the air-conditioning works well in the Delhi super-hot summers.

nalin1

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 12:49 PM

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 1:04 PM

Wyano, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone!
This is a pretty fun poll. I really like reading about all the bicycles, scooters, cars, trucks, and even rickshaw's, LOL.

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche that is loaded except for leather seats (save the cows!). It runs on E85 fuel and has awesome power. I hook up my 4x8 Aluma trailer when I need extra plant hauling room or need to transport my lawncare equipment.
Previously I owned a 2002 Chevy Avalanche. I really love this truck and will continue purchase them. I only wish Chevrolet would bring back the cladding.

DH drives an '02 Chevy Silverado when he absolutely has to. Otherwise, he's riding his 2003, anniversary edition Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic in gunmetal.

Did someone mention tractors?? I love to drive my new 2006 Kubota L39 backhoe. It sure is going to make short work of all the new garden beds I plan to install in 2007. : )

Here's my '06 Avalanche....

Thumbnail by mamabirrd
Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

In the past six months we've gone from no wheels to bicycles to an older car. Our car is a '96 Hyundai Elantra wagon, stick shift. We bought it used several years ago but sold it to my parents when we moved to a remote community. We just bought it back.

I wish I could say 'other' though. A snowmobile would sure be nice.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

When we got our Toyota Prius (love it!) a year ago, we donated our old Chevy to the local public radio station. There are other car donation programs for various charities you might want to check into. Makes you feel good, and they pick up the (driveable) car at your house so you don't have to take it to the local junkyard or hold a garage sale.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not sure if my car counts as newer or older--it's a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon which would generally count as a newer car, but I have over 100,000 miles on it so does that make it count as old instead? (it's pretty sad when the 10 yr or 100,000 mile warranty runs out before you're done paying for the car!)

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I drive a 1995 Jeep Wranler -rag top.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

2001 VW Jetta

Provincetown, MA

I drive a classic '85 Mercedes Benz 300D and use biodiesel. I buy the fuel locally now, but plan to start making my own out of waste vegetable oil from the local clam shacks!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Cool!

Valinda, CA(Zone 10a)

I got a new Honda CR-V this year. It is wonderful to not be in pain when I sit down. I had a bracket made so the front seat slides farther back and now I get in and out relatively easily. Had a wheelchair lift installed and now I can go shopping at the places that were too big before.

My wife has quite a technique for buying a car. She writes a check for somewhat less than the asking price and hands it to the salesman. After the salesman and the finance guy go back and forth a bit the deal is done.

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

2004 Mazda 6 ts2 diesel

Don't know what we will get when we relocate to Canada.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I drive a RED .94 Aztec, 4 wheel drive, lots of room for hauling my planting needs.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have 3 vehicles. 1993 Toyota 4-Runner -- I have owned it since brand new. My every day car with 138,000 miles
on it. Just drove it to and from Casas Grandes, Mexico.
2000 Toyota Tacoma 4WD -- Just bought it second hand. Very low mileage, smaller than new
Tacomas. I can't live with out a truck for hauling stuff for the garden. Uses less gas, but
hauls less manure. Darn!
1985 Jeep J10 Truck.4WD Soon to be put up for sale. Great truck. Huge engine, a gas
guzzler but will haul huge quantities of manure in a single load.

My 4-Runner is a great vehicle and by keeping it a long time, it becomes an inexpensive vehicle. I keep a truck for the garden but it is always my second vehicle in use. My next main vehicle will be a hybrid or whatever is most fuel efficient when that time comes, hopefully a long time from now. Now that I am retired I don't put many miles on my vehicles.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

2002 Toyota Sequoia. Had to start driving a bus....[sigh]....but, if you've gotta drive one, the Sequoia's not so bad..=)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

mkjones,

We have become an all Toyota family. We jointly own three. This has come about from experience. No headaches, just good transportation. They just work really well. If you have to drive a bus, a Toyota bus is no doubt one of the best.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

My wheels - are about to fall off.

My wheels are a 2004 Nissian Altima that I bought new. I love it!!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm a Honda gal....and driving my third which is a white 2000 CRV which I bought in Massachusetts and drove down here to San Antonio. I'll always own a Honda... :)

Melanie

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

I've got a 98 Honda Accord Coupe. Bought it new, worked VERY hard to pay it off and plan on driving it till it falls apart and can't go anymore. I am crossing my fingers that won't be for a long time to come. I LOVE not having a car payment!!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Herbie43 - Thank you for removing the seats so you can collect and deliver all of those pots for me! LOL - I'm sure that's why you did it!

I drive a 2001 Suzuki Vitara Convertible w/111,000 miles on it. I love this baby! Thinking about getting a little scootabout so I don't have to give this vehicle up EVER! It's small and easy to park, but has 4 WD and can haul anything. Cute, too - huh?

This message was edited Dec 8, 2006 6:24 PM

Thumbnail by Sequee
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I would have preferred a bright red, brand new Jaguar but he wanted a 2007 Toyota Camry LXE and that's what we bought in May. So I still drive the '97 Intrepid - it's never had a problem and has a real ashtray!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pirl-are you smoking again you naughty girl.

Hebron, KY

Wanted to add that all our cars DH and I bought were brand new (the ones we each had before we met and since we've been together - over 10 years now).

Before we bought the 2004 TrailBlazer SUV, I had a 1991 blue Civic hatchback. I loved that car, but we needed more dependable 'wheels' to drive to FL in the Winter than the 1995 Blazer SUV we already own. The weekend we got the new 'wheels', I asked one of my sisters (my identical twin, Mary) if she could use a 'free' car. She is married with 3 kids and she said yes. The Honda had approx. 111, 000 miles on it, a new Diehard battery, 2 new tires and great running condition when I gave it to her on Thanksgiving Day 2004. Her oldest was going to turn 16 the following August 2005) and get his 'temps' in Feb. 2005. She was thrilled!

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 9, 2006 12:00 AM

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Gosh, didn't know if an SUV was classfied as a truck or car, so I said other.....I drive a silver 2004 Lexus RX 330 and I love it. Even haul pine straw in it. When we put the back seats down, we can get a whole lot of plants in there too. Would love a pickup, but our garage is just too small after modifications made over the last 20 years. DH has his silver 2000 Corvette. He hauls golf clubs. LOL!

Al, yes!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ahh Pirl you would have had me on the Jag, pre-Ford days but can't drool after anything Ford. :)

That was the whole problem. I'm a non-drooler over Ford making them, too.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Got a 2006 Toyota Carolla & 1998 Toyota Camry LX.

LarryD

New Delhi, India(Zone 10a)

Image of my new Porsche Cayenne, rocking good fun car!

Thumbnail by nalin1
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice Ride!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Thats sweet!!1

Thomson, GA

Plantladyhous I just this week had to retire my 2000 Dodge Intrepid. I really really loved that car. I think I got my money's worth out of it, with 262,629 original miles on it. It still looked great, but the miles finally caught up with it, and to rebuild the motor or replace it is not practical for what it would cost. So right now I am shopping for another "cash only" car. No payments for me either. In the meantime I am tooling around in a 1995 LeBaron Convertible which is not my first choice, but hey, it's paid for. (But it's sooo teenie weenie). I am thinking of a PT Cruiser so I can carry stuff in it, like plants and bags of compost,etc.. Oh yeah, and groceries and stuff. I have a friend that has one and loves hers. Any recommendations on them? I don't want an SUV or anything real heavy. I put a lot of highway miles on a vehicle, so resale considerations don't mean anything to me. I drive the wheels off my vehicles.

If it makes any difference, Paul Harvey was on radio recently talking about his son's Saab passing one million miles. I've never owned one.

Thomson, GA

Wow. Well, I guess everyone has different experiences with vehicles. My mom had a Saab that was a lemon. A lady I worked with years ago had one and had nothing but problems with it. And most people I know that had Intrepids were rebuilding motors at 80,000 miles. I can't say that I took great care of mine; it was lucky to get an oil change every 10,000 miles (I am so bad, I know), because it was nothing for me to drive 2,000 miles a week. I had hoped to make it to 300000. but I missed that milestone. We did have an old 1984 Dodge Van that we called the Magic Bus that got 360,000 miles on it before we sold it. What a hoss it was! We hauled 28' boats across the Country and had a blast in it. Looks like we have had more miles on Chrysler/Dodge products than any of the GMC or Fords. Never drove imports, but my mom and dad would have nothing but Toyotas or VW's. except for the one Saab.

Scutler, I'm with you. I do not consider my vehicle to be an extension of my personality. DH would disagree, as I am a fairly messy person in my car, and he says my car looks just like my desk. To me, it is a tool to accomplish a task, and I am looking to multitask with my next acquisition. Gotta be comfortable (which this sportscar ain't) good on fuel, and either have a Lincoln Town Car sized trunk or hatch back type rear for haulin' stuff.

I love this thread. Very interesting reading about all the different types of rides plant lovers prefer.

It was the first time I ever heard good things about a Saab!

Our Intrepid is still on the original brakes! It gets serviced on a routine basis and it's nearing 100,000 miles. We love to hear "Car Talk" and the stories of people and their cars.

Seattle, WA

I am in Seattle, Washington. Get where I'm going by: Boat, bus or walking.

Clue: Those Ferry rides can be cold. so be sure to have a scarf at hand.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I traded my Mustang GT convertible for a trailer/tank combo for my son's new business. So I got a Toyota Yaris. It gets 36 mpg. And now I hardly ever get to drive it cause DH uses it instead of his gas guzzling Tahoe. Oh well.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.