December's Daily Weather

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, any body have any tips of taking snow swirling around your head? It didn't work. I just took a pic o the front of my house (in the trees). I may have to brave it again, tho.

Thumbnail by music2keep
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jazz - You can talk to me ... here's the forecast for tonight and tomorrow - high's below 50 at least for a day or two!!
::::---((((( Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr))))
FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EST FRIDAY ...LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 3 PM EST FRIDAY... ...WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EST FRIDAY... ...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...
Includes the Counties: Nassau, Duval
Includes the cities: Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Yulee, Nassau Village-Ratliff, Hilliard, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach

Tonight...Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers this evening...Then partly cloudy...Windy and colder. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 15 to 20 mph with higher gusts. Wind chill readings 22 to 26 toward daybreak.

Friday...Mostly sunny. Windy...Much cooler. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds 20 mph. Lowest wind chill readings around 20 in the morning.

e_b - beautiful picture...is that a painting and if so, who painted it?

I don't shovel snow, but I do shovel sand, in 90+ weather and 100+ humidity!! LOL!!!
Great pics everyone!

Jeff and Soxy keeping each other warm!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Joey - I'm cold just thinking about it taking pics in the blowing snow!! Unfortunately, no clue about how to take pics in the dark in the snow!!
Covered the plants I can, brought in the ones that need serious protection.
Sylvester pretending to be a present...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Kelli.......Not too much. I'm 7 miles south of Albion which was devastated by a big Catagory 4 storm. We had high winds and near baseball sized hail here. I collected some and kept them in my freezer for quite a while. It beat the snot out of my car but we got off easy. At the same time another big tornado tore up the little town of Atlantic about 20 miles south of here. Quite a few people were killed in both towns.

early_bloomer

(Zone 3b)

Seeing and reading about the storms down there, it's almost embarrassing to let you all know how nice it is here right now.
3:50pm; sun's nearly down, calm and still up to 30 degrees..the snow has not materialized as of yet.
The fall kaleidioscope is fantastic...also, the cold sure comes across in the snow photo..
Have you considered not global warming, but the opposite?
jcangemi - 66 and rain sounds pretty good...what crops are growing near Fresno this time of year?
Portion of Pioneer Peak in the gray day.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

EB: Wow! Really nice photo! (Glad u gave up on shovelling. Just stay in til it blows over!)
Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

darius - thank you for the link, Kelli - thank you for the info.

29½°(F) still dropping, the wind is howling, 42% and still Dark.

Guess turnips will be part of the dinner tomorrow.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Joey, do you have a spotlight outside that you could turn on to get a picture? That would reveal the snow.

Ric - your malva is beautiful...wish I could grow it, but me thinks it gets too hot here!!
Marylyn - how did the reheqarsal go? And....what did you wear..the skirt or the pink lady jeans????
Kiska love the pic...very cool black and white!

This message was edited Dec 7, 2006 8:36 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Well, I'm back.... the phone rang (my sis) so I didn't get to go back outside. :-(
Nice Autumn Kaleidoscope!!!
LOL!! E_B! A popcicle! DH liked that one ~ me too! It's what I would have looked like if I had stayed outside a little longer! Next time I go out I'll have to dress a little warmer. Tennis shoes didn't cut it!
Kelli, I don't have a flood light. We have a motion detector light, but it's still in the box! I know... it doesn't do much good There. I may go experiment in a little while....
Darius & Dyson, Stay Warm. It will get better for ya! soon...
Sharon ~ Silvester & Soxy sure look like contented kitties! :-))
Kiska, I love that gray look of the mountain...but then again I love all of your pix!

A pic of all of us on the field trip (me on the far right)

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It got to 19.7 degrees at work today. It was 10 degrees when I went in this morning. Had to drive in an open air golf cart all day. BRRRRR!!!! Tomorrow, high 30s.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Great Shots you guys!
For night snow shots you can use a flash which gives some great affects at times..... or turn your flash off and use a tripod.
You won't be able to hold it steady enough by hand.

19° and holding here........
Ric

Pepper- OMG - you froze all day......
We just went to the beach to watch the shuttle, but no luck, it's been postponed, would have been pretty, another night then...Friday..
Ric - now I know why all my night shots don't come out right! LOL
Sharon

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ric, I have a Cyber Shot w/ the wavey hand thingy. LOL You'd never know my mom had a masters in English! It has Steady Shot and a nifty flash up to 16m ISO1000 wide end. What do ya think? I don't have a tripod for this camera ~ only my 35 mm.

The temp's holding at 24* & DH just called saying that the roads were OK in Blacksburg (35 miles away). It took the usual time to get there, so most of the weather is on this side of the state line. A lot of times it seems that Peters Mountain cuts us off from the rest of the world (namely Va.)

Joey

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Dyson, turnips are delicious if you roast a piece of pork and put the turnips in with the meat. Very simple,add some potatoes and carrots if you like. Penna. Dutch soul food. LOL

(Zone 3b)

6pm - about the same weather-wise...26 degrees.
Joey - nice looking group you travel with...good to meet you and the others.
Sharon - just a point of interest about the shuttle...the pilot is a 1983 graduate of West High School in Anchorage - of course the shuttle is very newsworthy, but really special for here.
A subdivision near Palmer...
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

37 ft / 11 m
54.5 °F / 12.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 22 °F / -6 °C
Wind: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)

Have posted many times and the cyber-gator eats them. Hope we don't get the freeze tonight.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Joey,
I've had good luck resting the camera on something solid, like a car roof, holding on tight and shooting.
Just make sure you gently press the shutter and hold it totally down until the camera finishes the shot.

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sharon, the skirt came out pretty well! I'll ask DH to take a picture tomorrow. :-) Rehearsal was pretty chaotic, but a lot of fun. The play is a riot! LOL

E-B, I've done the cold and snow and I am SO happy to be a wimp now!! LOL

Right now I need to get the bunnies in bed and then clean the house. Company tomorrow and it's still a disaster in here! If you see me back in here tonight, tell me to go away! :-)

It is beautifully clear outside right now - so it's suppose to be freezing-ish tonight. Tomorrow it will only get up into the low 50's, but we'll be back to the 70's by next Monday. Yayy!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CST (32 min ago)
Temperature 51 °F 11 °C
Dew Point 30 °F -1 °C
Humidity 44%
Pressure 30.60 in 1036.1 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 23 15 kts
G 20
Wind Dir NNE 20°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear

(Zone 3b)

Sidney - the cybergator is a sneaky creature..keep warm -
Marylyn_TX - we look forward to the photos - you too, keep warm.
23 degrees at 9pm...
kiska

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

20½° (F) - (translation) - baby it's cold outside! 43% and very Dark but it sounds as if the winds have abated.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning all!

It's 31°F, calm and mostly cloudy as far as I can tell.

EB - your photos are so awesome! Love the snow photo! Shoveling snow is no fun and not to be tried in howling winds ;-) Hope things calm down soon for you and others in that area (Joey and Darius!!)

Joey - so nice to see you finally! What a great bunch you were traveling with! :-) I've never attempted going out to photograph the snow in the dark - especially in howling winds! lol If the wind's howling - I stay inside! I'd use a tripod to photograph anything in the dark ..... but with howling winds I think it would blow over - so it would be better on a still night ;-)
Sharon - I'd rather shovel snow in the cold than sand in 90°F/100% humidity anyday!!!!!! I still remember the stifling heat ..... when you're shoveling snow you get pretty warm from the work - out!! I take my hat off (if I had one) to you hot zoners to be able to do ANYTHING in those 80+ temps ....... gardening is often hard work and I'd find it impossible in that kind of heat!! I guess I'm a heat wimp ;-) lol Love the cat pix ;-) Silvester makes a very nice present !

Kiska - lovely photos! I guess Alaska will be following the shuttle launch since you have "one of your own" on it :-)

Joey - look! - we have the same kind of lights on the house!

Just took this a few minutes ago - just before 10 am ... the photo is a bit brighter than it actually is outside (used a tripod ;-)) but the sky is starting to turn a blue color :-) Sunrise won't be for another hour at 11:03 and sunset will be at 3:36 ...... which is only 3 min less than yesterday - so things are finally slowing down :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Took one looking down the street too :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning! It's a nippy 20*, Dark, & school is on the inclement weather schedule (2 hours late). There isn't any on campus housing, & about 1/2 of the students drive a good distance. They actually have some housing, but it's off campus (across town). The windchill in Bluefield is -6 & Bluefield is called the air conditioned city. When the thermo-meter hits 90* the town supplies free lemon aid.

Rannveig, We Do! have the same kind of lights! (good taste) ;-) I suppose that I'll be trying to get somemore shots of the snow the next time. It's seemed to have quit & we only have less than an inch, but Bluefield has 3" & are expecting another 1*.

Marylyn, I have this thingy I say... You can always warm up, but you can't always cool off. And I have found that to really be true the older I get. (minnerpaws) :-D So...Wimpy ~ you're Not!

Have a Great Day! Every Body! "See" ya later!

Deer season is over....

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Joey - yes! Certainly good taste ;-) lol. That is a nice looking deer - never tried it but I bet it's good.

This morning's sunrise :-) Photo taken just before 11 am.

edited for spelling ;-)

This message was edited Dec 8, 2006 2:28 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Winter Wonderland this morning here in Maine......isn't pretty??

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Well, it's 33 on my porch right now and very windy. Don't think it's going to freeze, but still under the wind chill advisory.
I finally figured out why my temps and the temps posted on the weather channel are different. The weather channel uses NAS Mayport which is at the beach in Jacksonville, "current conditions at nearby (25 miles south) location"!!
Taken a few minutes ago - moon

Thumbnail by MySharona
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Today: Sunny, with a high near 29. West wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Southwest wind between 8 and 11 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Southwest wind between 9 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 25. South wind between 9 and 11 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. South wind between 8 and 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Well it's pretty figid today.. 10 degrees right now but there's a warming trend next week and if we reach predicted temperatures, I might not be able to talk to myself :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

12° (Wind Chill 0°)
Dewpoint: 5° Wind: W 8 MPH
Humidity: 73% Pressure: 30.66 in Hg

Average: High 45° Low 29°

Today's Sunrise: 7:45AM
Today's Sunset: 5:16PM
(09:31 hours of sunlight)

We got some serious cold last night.
Even w/ the heater the Greenhouse on the roof hit 35.
Sunny now though so it will heat up fast.
I'm curious to see what the Hot Tub temp is........... lol
We're looking at 32° as a high.....

Rannveig what a peaceful street scene. The sun's been up here for almost and hour.
I've been to AK in early July so know about the almost all day days and nights
but those almost all night day's not so sure I'd like that. lol

Joey that a 14 Point Buck? NIce
We've got a 12 Pointer roaming our neighborhood.... come on over!

Pixie that is indeed a beautiful peaceful scene.

MySharona it looks like no beach for you today eh?
Do you know JaxFlaGardener? He's just a bit South of you. Great Guy and Great Gardening source.

We have a number of plants that do well here in Winter.
In fact unless it's covered in snow we have quite a bit of green here.
Here's some Pachysandra blooming just two days ago.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Brrrrrrr... 12º when I got up at 7 am. High today of 29º. My creek is frozen but I can see a few open spots downstream. I guess I need to get some cracked corn for the almost tame ducks that live on the creek. The birds are emptying the feeders like crazy.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey Jazz!
We cross posted. We're actually looking at 52 by Sunday and 55 by Tues! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! LOL!
We finally got the dog to go outside.
MAN did the cats come flying back in!

Here's a bit more green to warm you up.
Our Bamboo stays green ALL Winter down here.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

No beach weather here, but can you say "Oh Christmas Tree?"

Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Zone 5a)

Pixie - I'm jealous! LOL What a great looking tree :-)

Ric - LOL - I think it's safe to say that cats can be quite wimpy if the weather isn't too their liking! Love the pachysandra (never seen those before) and that bamboo is very impressive!

Wow - Sharon it's getting a bit nippy down there! Nice photo :-)

Jazz - you're heading for a regular heat wave there after the weekend if the forcast is right! lol I think you'll have to raise the limit to 60°F so you can at least talk to yourself! LOL :-D

(Zone 3b)

7am: 30 degrees, calm here, but windy 3 miles down at Palmer. (nearly always windy in Palmer)..Sunrise at 10am - Sets at 3:36pm..
pixie-very pretty with the fresh snowfall...
Sharon - were you kidding about shovelling sand? doing that in the heat would be a terrible task :)...
Henry - do you do anything with the bamboo? very lacy looking.
Very pretty sky, Rann - thank goodness the sky provides color this time of year...
Yes, Alaskans are following the launch closely.
jazz - still sounds pretty cold there - glad you can look forward to it warming up a bit...
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Afternoon! It's a Blistering 25*! :-D The sun is out & the snow has either blown away or melted (on the roads).

Ric & Rannveig, the buck is last years Va. non-typical trophy. My friends DB bagged it about 30 miles from here. I can't remember the stats for it, but if you went on line you may find it. Deer that large are fairly tough eatin'; the smaller ones are not nearly as tough. So we just get the small ones. I think Brian lucked up, but then again he may have had some divine intervention ~ he's a preacher.
Pixie that is just the right amount of snow to make things beautiful! Gorgeous! It tends to make things warm & toasty inside, too. :-))
Sharon, things seem to be chilly for ya, but have no fear...I do believe it will warm up! There's a Heat Wave comin'!
Ric, there's bamboo at the Trout Lodge. I think it's so neat looking. Makes for an interesting looking wind break...does it really work?
Rannveig & Sharon you guys always manage to get some great sky pix...I'm gonna have to practice somemore. But what I am determined to do is to get some night time snow pix!

Here's another pic of Brian with his trophy buck...

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Wow Kiska that is a gorgeous photo! Yes the sky is very colorful this time of year - at least if there are clouds around :-) It's a nonstop show from sunup til sunset :-) Only problem is how the sun gets in your eyes - it stays at eye level the whole time it is up! Our sunsets were at exactly the same time today!!! 3:36 !!!But sunrise was an hour later here, so you have a whole hour extra :-D

Thanks Joey - that sunrise photo was just a snapshot I took out the windshield this morning - only got one shot at it because then the battery died on me. The sky was just incredible - so it didn't take any magic to capture it ;-)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

kiska & rannveig...incredible sky shots, just beautiful! I guess lack of sunlight hours make for gorgeous skies.....I think I could almost deal with that.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks pixie. The sky is very showy so long as it's not overcast ;-) Then it just doesn't get bright at all. We got some wind and rain in the forcast for tomorrow - but the good news is it could snow on Monday!!!! Crossing my fingers and toes :-)

Sorry to ask, but what state are you in? I'm no good with these abbreviations ;-)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ok. Bumping my temp up to 60 so I can still talk to myself.. That would be quite traumatic if I couldn't walk around the house muttering to myself.. course the DH and kidlet might stop giving me such weird looks then.

Kiska,, you are more than kind to think of me being cold here in the MW when you live in Alaska! I keep thinking to myself.,. yea.. you're whining when SHE lives in ALASKA!!!!

Rann great street and lights shots.. I like PIxie's stuff too.. if it's going to be this cold there should really be snow on the ground.. brrrr

Great Buck! I'll have to let the dh look when he gets home. He got a nice one this year..

Stay warm all..except for those I am not talking to.. they shouldn't have an issue with staying warm..

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Hi, Jazzpunkin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.