December's Daily Weather

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Good Morning!
2pugdogs love the pics…what a contradiction - the greenhouse and snow!!
Deb- cute pic of the duck and ducklings! Hope they stay safe and warm.
Kiska – once again you provide the “WOW” factor with your pictures! Beautiful!
Blooms! – Darn-I missed dinner! Looks delicious!
Rann – gorgeous sunset!
Joey – great cloud pic!
Another overcast morning - supposed to clear up this afternoon and get chilly! High today is 60 - low tonight 39!!
Overcast
Temp: 50°F
Humidity: 83%
Wind Speed: N 10 MPH
Heat Index: 50°F
Wind Chill: 50°F
Sunrise: 7:07 AM EST
Sunset: 5:24 PM EST
HAve a great day! Everyone stay warm and dry...our tree!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

7:30am, beautiful full moon casting long shadows on the snow..very bright and looks like the line from "Night Before Christmas", "the moon on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave a luster of midday to objects below"...
22 degrees - sunrise at 9:52am, sets at 3:40pm...loss of 3m11seconds.
B/View - dinner looks sooo good...glad you liked "The Great One, Denali"...my husband used the new camera for that photo. I
rann - the sunset's colors are wonderful - what a busy time of year for you, fun for the girls and I know it's fun for you, too.
Sharon, seeing Denali is always breathtaking; most beautiful though, now, in winter...it's "Out" more often in the winter than summer..With your temp dropping to 39, that's pretty cold; just never thought of Florida getting those temps..
joey, love your tree with the santas, angels and reds...very Christmasy..keep warm, too.
Saturday...one of the few farms in Alaska. Palmer is home to most all the farms.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

Another farm near Palmer.
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Kiska! Now That's why barns should be red! Great!

It's 29* but feels like10*. The sun's out, too! not a cloud in the sky.

Goes with this door....Yep, I'm really in the mood... :-D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it's currently 19 here and Sunny. Heading for a High? of 32...... errrrrrrrrr!
We did have a few flurries this morning but more I think the cold air couldn't hold the moisture than real snow.

LOVE ALL the Winter shots everyone!
Those Alaska shots are amazing!
OK how do you pronounce Hafnarfjordur?

Ric

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

LOL Ric! I think (course I always get into trouble when I do that) that the "j" is pronounced as a "y". Am I right? Rannveig?
Man, what is the wind chill there? Could be colder there!

Sharon, I love your tree & That tree Skirt! I'm due a new one, but I think I'll make one. I might be able to get the color I want that way!

Joey

Compliments of National Geographic....

Thumbnail by music2keep
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Ho, hum....

A Wind Advisory remains in effect until 3 PM PST this afternoon.

Northeast winds between 25 and 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph... with
the strongest winds through passes and canyons. Winds should diminish
some by mid Monday afternoon.

Lights on the back porch. Not the greatest picture. Like someone else mentioned earlier, I need a tripod for shots without the flash. (O.K. I need to go do Christmas cards now. Mumble. Grumble.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Not as windy as they had called for, at least not right here.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on December 04, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
72 °F / 22 °C
Clear
Humidity: 5%
Dew Point: -2 °F / -19 °C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h from the NNW

Too bad John (way2dumb) isn't still around. He'd love these dew points.

The wind tore the heck out the banana plant. This happens ever year. It will look pretty sad until it grows more leaves in the spring.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Here is the banana plant in October.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluu!! Everybody! well, it's still Quite Cool...at 34*. The sun is going down, with still no clouds, so there will be a Biggggg! Frost! tonight!
I have everything packed for the field trip to Pa. tomorrow! As usual...the perverbial tooth brush would probably be sufficient, but I always pack more! ;-) Gotta plan Ahead for these things! :-D
Kelli, your poor banana plant just looks emaciated! I'm glad that it will heal! And glad that the winds weren't worse!

Have a good evening!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Here's the photo I meant to post this morning of the Advent wreath - don't know what happened - guess I wasn't awake yet :-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - your Christmas tree is looking good! We haven't even bought ours yet (I don't even think they've started selling them) - we don't decorate the tree until the day before Christmas Eve - but then it stays up until Jan. 6th ;-)

Kiska - you're right I really enjoy this time of year although I get a bit stressed out at times about how long it takes me to accomplish everything. I don't know how we'd get throught this dark time of year if it wasn't for Christmas. It's truly a celebration of light here :-)

Joey - you're absolutely right the "j" is pronounced like a "y" - I think it would be impossible to pronounce otherwise! lol

So Ric - Hafnarfjörður is pronounced something like "Habnarfjearthur" with the "ea" pronounced like "early" and "th" soft like "this" :-) Hope that makes some kind of sense!

Oh Kelli - your poor banana plant! It's good to know that it'll recover - I think I'd be in tears! Your christmas lights on the deck look really pretty - I bet it's nice to sit out there on a still night! Do you have mosquitoes or other nasty bugs that plague you at night like in FL?? Isn't it too dry for the mosquitoes?

Oh and Joey - look what I found at the garden center today!!!!!! :-) The berries are fake but the plant isn't! Isn't that the coolest thing???? I'm hoping I'll get it to live in my greenhouse :-D

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

2:30pm, still very gray and sunset's not too far off, so I did the next best thing, and finished up Christmas shopping.
20 degrees...
Joey - have a good trip/
rann - love your Advent wreath..(and new plant). Anchorage is known as the city of lights, they do white/blue lights from Mid-November way into the new year. Same reason as there, darkness lasts a long time.
kelli - It's a good thing the banana tree will recover - it really got beat up - pretty lights, too.
Saturday's sunlight on the Talkeetna range..
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Rann, I love your holly plant. Can you (or anyone) explain more about Advent candles? I know that the first one is lit the 4th Sunday before Christmas, the second one, the 3rd Sunday, and so on, but is there any other ritual that goes with it? (Apparently Baptists do not observe Advent. It wasn't part of my upbringing.)

Mosquitoes exist out here and I suppose they're still around somewhere unless the nights have been cold enough to kill them off. Even in the driest weather, we have creeks that run all of the time and wet places due to people not watering their yards properly and other discharge of water into the the storm drain system. (Someone a couple streets up apparently empties their laundry water into the street. I have no idea why. I think it is laundry water because it smells like laundry detergent. I would imagine that is illegal.) In warmer weather, mosquitos would be right here in no time if we didn't have mosquito fish in the pond and didn't keep the rainwater containers covered. However, it's too chilly (for me) to sit outside in the evening. As soon as the sun goes down, it cools down fast. If it's less than 70 degrees, it's too cold for me for just sitting. We can see the lights from inside the house, though.

Okay - brrrrrr - it's a tad chilly here! Our low is 40, but we're generally a little cooler, according to the bank thermometer.
I get the red barn theory! You can find it when it snow! I like how all barns have the same "look", you know? I've always loved them, played in one when I was a child!
Ric - LOL - I know I pronounce it incorrectly!! Rann - pleeze write "Hafnarfjordur" phonetically!
Joey - Thanks! I bought the skirt at Waccamaw, now closed, but I loved that store :( I don't sew, only put buttons back on :)
Kelli - your poor banana plant...needs some TLC after the winds! Do you get bananas?!!
Ok - has anyone seen the moon tonight??? Are you all outside checking it out?? I have to post some pics, just beautiful. Even stopped at the beach after work and walked to the shore in my NEW boots to get pics! Y'all will just have to suffer through them!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here's another - it's as if you can reach out and touch it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

I can't get enough of it!!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Sharon, we have never gotten bananas. This variety is supposed to get bananas but it never has. I have seen houses around with the more conventional variety and those do get bananas sometimes.

Nice moon picture. I'll check on the moon here later. It's only 3:55 here.

This is the neighbors' cat. She likes to come over to our yard.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Okay last one .... for a while!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sharona, you're "moon-struck" LOL. (Nice photos, though.)

Yes I am~~ It's just so big and beautiful tonight! Okay here's a sunset!
How are you doing?

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

ah, yes, the moon was fantastic, Sharon - your pictures show it very well...
Here, the long shadows on the snow were so pretty...the mt's looked as if they were in a spotlight...no need for flashlight last night.
Your neighbor has a cute kitten, kelli.
kiska

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Full moon tonight - temps did not get out of the mid-30's today. 20-30 mph winds. Sunshiney! Still planting daylily seeds ( indoors).

Supposed to be nice again tomorrow. The house sure feels good when you come in from outside. We are fast approaching the darkest time of the year.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I just went out to check on the Hot Tub and the Moon IS Magnificent!
It is in fact shining in my window here..............
30 and clear all day basically.
We are going to warm up though...........tomorrow 45 Weds 48!
Break out the shorts!!!!!

Ric

Isn't she gorgeous?!!! A treat thru the limbs! Ummm, no shorts...!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Blooms (your snow looks pretty), Kiska your winter scenes have impressive mountains/and lovely close-ups that capture the beauty of a frozen plant, Ranvieg I love your sunsets/seeing Icelandic Christmas scenes (and different architecture), DebinSC I love your duck pic! 2pugdogs I can only dream (re greenhouse going outside)

Sugarweed, Kelli, Mysharona, Music2Keep................why I'm sooooooooooooo grateful for your warm looking pics (with COLOUR):

Picture taken when we were at -38°F

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Middle of the day.....winds picked up and out-of-town the countryside is in white-out (blizzard) conditions

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Marylyn_Tx

Quoting:
Humidity 44% (That's really really low for Houston!!)

That's cause we have it all up here.:'( Tomorrow we will be below freezing and yet our humidity (without rain) is predicted to be 100% ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I live on the prairies.......humidity should be around 20% here (extreme cold usually wins out).

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'll take back the cold if you take back your humidity! :)

(Zone 3b)

lilypon - the joys of a northern clime:) - errands must be run, kids off to school, and it comes with the terrritory...what a pretty town you live in...strange humidity readings, right? Glad you're enjoying the mt pics..
Sharon, the moon looks great - it's cloudy now; we were so lucky to have it last night.
Still at 20 degrees...
kiska

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Your holiday ones too! ;)

edited to say sorry to hear about the storm in your area se_eds (glad to see you made it through ok :).

This message was edited Dec 4, 2006 11:56 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Everybody! I know..it's a tad early, but I have to be at school @ 6:45! We're leaving @ 7:00.

It's 32* & moonlit! So there probably will be some frost by the time I go to start the car.
Sharon, I'm with Darius! You Are "moon struck"! :-D Those are some gorgeous pix ! However, my favs are #2 & #4.
Rannveig! Yeah!!! I was getting worried that I wouldn't find enough holly berries to send you! I have found all of 12. I could still send you some, but that little fella looks quite hardy! And It's varigated! I Love It !
Lilypon, that's some major white-out! And living on the open prairie must make it much colder!
LOL Ric, you're a brave sort! My DS won't even wear shorts when it's that cold! (but I have seen some that do!)
Kelli, that baby from next door seems to like it at your house very much! Very laid back!

Well, gotta get ready....Have a Great Day!! :-D

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

We're at 40 right now, very brisk out. Going to get to 64 today, another cold front coming through Thursday night.
Lilypon - that white out looks scary! I'd just hole up and wait it out!!
Kelli - your visiting kitty looks like our Soxy (with less fur)
Partly Cloudy
Temp: 40F
Humidity: 62%
Wind Speed: E 8 MPH
Sunrise: 7:08 AM EST
Sunset: 5:24 PM EST
Have a great day - no longer moon struck - at least not right now1

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Wow, everyone has had a wild ride weatherwise. We have been COLD and windy, but no snow what so ever. I'm kind of glad. Scooping would have been miserable.

The full moon is bright! 12* and finally calm at 4:30 am. The food we put out for the feral cats is gone. Who ate it? I'm not sure. Hope it's too cold for skunks, raccoons and possums!

I've gotten a lot done these last few days. The house is clean! Today I need to start baking. The mixer has been out for days. Our X-mas dinner is the 17th, so no putting it off.

It's starting to feel like X-mas now!!!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

27° (Wind Chill 19°)
Dewpoint: 18° Wind: NW 8 MPH
Humidity: 69% Pressure: 30.42 in Hg

A bit colder than normal but it will be Sunny all day so.........

Looks like we tend to go for Calicos here eh?
Here's the Late Great Kelly

Have a GREAT Day ALL!

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon! It's a calm, clear day here with a temp of 30F. I was outside finishing the outside Christmas lights ...... now for the inside ;-)

Sally - you always manage to do so much in a short amount of time - I really admire that! I need to start baking too, but the house isn't close to being clean yet!

Sharon - your cat's such a cutie - do you have two?? Wasn't there a black one as well?

Joey - hope you have fun on your fieldtrip! I'd still love to have some berries if you're willing to trade them - I'd like to try and raise some from seed and see how they'll do ..... often plants raised from seed are hardier than the imported plants since they have to tacle the climate from the start ;-)

I'm struggling a bit at the moment - my body is being very uncooperative and is basically falling apart at a very inconvenient time ..... I'm still struggling to recover from the two Copenhagen trips that were wonderful but put a lot of strain on my lower back and legs. I shouldn't stand or walk very much at the moment which is pretty impossible with all the things that must be done ..... it's really stressing me out. I'm sure there is a bright side somewhere in there but I have yet to find it .... lol ;-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rannveig

(Zone 5a)

Ric - we cross posted - what a cute cat! Those calicos are pretty :-)

I used to have a cat too - here's my Birta back in 1997 - loved her to pieces :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 3b)

Dark, cloudy, some moonlight breaking through, 7 am.
Temp. still rising and is at 24 degrees already. Sunrise: 9:54am Set: 3:39...loss of 3m2seconds. If it will remain below 32 degrees, all's well. I've had the door open for an hour for fresh air; we always have a window open a bit, too.
Have a good field trip, joey..
rann - so sorry to hear that you're having a rough time of it today..take it as easy as you can..
billyporter - what a nice Christmas Card you've sent us - thanks..
The kitty photos are darling...
Fresh snow to fall into -
kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm so laughing at myself! I didn't realize we could all see the procrastinating mixer on the counter. Remind me to clean up the background next time!

Rannveig, take care! Make sure you take aspirin every day. It helps take swelling down besides the pain. I never used to take aspirin. Thought I could just get over it. No more!

Beautiful cats! I had a light colored pastel feral. We named her Patsy. She had a moonlight yellow cat we named Simba. Never saw such a pale yellow.

Aww, fresh snow and innocence! She's going to grow up too fast.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Our tires are designed to grip the road (and we have good heaters)......as Kiska said life here has to go on as usual (or else we'd be hibernating for months ;). DH though made sure he did calls in town that day (he was supposed to drive to the southwest corner of the province.....3 hour drive away). He's on the road 3-4 days a week and I do worry about his vehicle breaking down (but he has a satellite cellphone now and a GPS system so is much better off then even a year ago).

Not a bad day today:

Light Snow Low Drifting Snow
Temperature: 16 °F / -9 °C
Wind: 21 mph / 33 km/h from the NW
Pressure: - / -
Humidity: 90%
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 900 ft / 274 m
Overcast 1500 ft / 457 m

Love the kitties and kiddie Ü (oh the wonderment of snow at that age.....until they leave their mitts off for awhile;).
Here's what we are guessing to be a wolf (way too big for a coyote).....DH spotted it near Gardner Dam)

Thumbnail by Lilypon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.