How old are we?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)
There are a total of 895 votes:

I'm an octogenarian or older (80 and up)
(8 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I'm between 65 and 80 years old
(75 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I'm between 50 and 65 years old
(347 votes, 38%)
Red dot

I'm between 35 and 50 years old
(340 votes, 37%)
Red dot

I'm between 20 and 35 years old
(99 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I'm younger than 20 years old
(6 votes, 0%)
Red dot

It doesn't matter how old I am - I feel young!
(20 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

i will be 65 in january, i looked forward to drawing ss, but they tell me i can,t
i been married allmost 20 years, now they say my hubby to young far me to draw, hes 51 ,now i feel really old,and that stinks

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Make another call and talk to someone else. The age of your husband, even your marital status, is not a reason for being unable to collect your Social Security. You probably would want to wait the extra 8 months to collect your full earnings but they can't possibly tell you that you can't collect based on your husband's age, provided you're filing on your own employment record.

Menahga, MN(Zone 3b)

Just voted......I'm an octogenarian, as of this past Monday. I cannot believe it, as I got a lot of garden gift certificates, so there must be hope for me yet!

Belated Happy Birthday wishes! I hope you enjoy gardening forever.

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

pirl
i have talk to a bunch of different ones,
see i only worked about 6 months in my life so that has a lot to do with it.
if i had never remairred i could of drawed of my dead husband but since im married
i can,t do nothing.i even ask about disability cause the dr.said far me to look into it .its the same way and so is medicare.only way i can get it is pay far it.
just don,t seem right to me,

If you only worked six months in your entire life you haven't earned Social Security benefits. They are based on earnings, not longevity.

New Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

68 Sassy years here!!

Still undertaking huge projects in the yard -- just takes longer to get them done now.

Some mornings I have "Tin Man Syndrome" -- "Oil me... oil me ... creak creak"! LOL

Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

I just turned 39 last Saturday. Can I start counting each birthday down now instead of adding them on to the total? Guess it really doesn't matter because I still feel 18 and hopefully will for a while yet.

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Dawn, to answer your question....YES. That's the math I am using!

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

According to Chele's method, I am only 11.....I can live with that. Although, I really don't think about age. Just like Andycdn, I actually spent a year thinking I was 24, when I was really 25. Even my mother would argue that I was only 24. Go figure. I guess I just didn't act my age then either.

I just do whatever feels good. I live LIFE everyday that rolls around.

Dee :)

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

and just think - you're a day older today.....

Pittsboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm 54, and I'm lovin' every minute of it! Reached the place where I don't really give a hoot what folks think of me! I think teaching middle school kids for 33 years has kept me feeling and thinking younger, even though I'm pretty sure I can attribute a few of my gray hairs to them. I've been a plant-lover since I was a kid; I'm pretty sure I inherited that from my mom and grandmother! I even like pulling weeds! LOL

Thumbnail by lwhalliday
-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

lwhalliday, I think that is one of the wonderful things about the 50's. You realize that you are fine, you've made it to here, you've accomplished so much in your life already, and you have lots of years to keep on doing other things. It's really a wonderful feeling! Thanks for the picture. :)

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Hard to believe I was 25 last year but I'll be 28 next. =)

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

duckmother and pagancat: I second those sentiments!!!!

i've heard of some folks when they hit 4-0 they say, "I'm 39-10!" It works for any age! But you truly are as young and fit as you allow yourself to be.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2006 3:01 PM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I think the 'years' migrate south with the hummers and Monarchs .. and I prefer to pretend they get left there. .. lol ..

BetterBloom .. I can relate ..

Quoting:
I'm not sure if life is passing me by or trying to run over me.

Life's certainly 'included' me: the wrinkles'll prove so. But, there's no doubt that [it's] definitely ran me over also (& on more than one occasion). * heehee *

Tis said I'm 'over the hill' .. and by golly: sure nuff I am. We live down on the side of one, and it makes for keepin' the climb to the top (repeatedly) .. in-sight and do-able. Ahh, but seriously .. I wouldn't trade a wrinkle one, for all of which I've endured & enjoyed .. and for each additional blessed day.

Kinda like the old tv antennas: the reception gets a bit 'fuzzy' once in a while .. and the rabbit ears have to be re-positioned. But, it'll do me .. till that new model is issued.

- Magpye

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I am 30 - pushing 31 (December 22nd, Christmas baby). Some days my body feels like it's 100 years old!!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I am 67 and don't feel that old unless the Bobbie asks me to do something and then I feel real old.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

well i'm a 72year old teenager..and refuse to grow up....8))

Fort McCoy, FL

Ha! Goes to show that us baby boomers still got what it takes.
Gail

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

greenbud, we share a birthday, not in years but the day. Hope you have a great 22nd this year!

cardiff, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Wow I never knew i would be at the very bottom (with a VERY low percentage lol) I am in fact 12 years old, no jokes but i LOVE gardening, it would be nice to find someone my own age around here, it,s ok for you lot because i have to go to school and YOU don't lucky devils XD
Jacob

I'd guess we all paid our dues and went to school, Jacob, and many of us probably wish we went even further with our education. This is your "job" in life at this point so do your very best so you can spend your life doing what you love - then it's never "a job" but a pleasure.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Wellllllll, I'll be! Then allow us to wish you .. a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG to ya, Jacob!

Will hafta get a couple of the grandyoung'uns on here one day soon .. and look you up.

Glad to see you're starting early .. along with the fact that you enjoy it so; is quite a delight to 'hear'.

(( Good 'luck' to ya, with your studies & your gardenin' ))

- Magpye

Edited: .. to fix the fangers' key skippin'. (hee)

This message was edited Nov 5, 2006 3:37 PM

cardiff, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

awwww im blushing!

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Think that I am older than EVERYONE!! I can remember when I was too young for everything. Now I am too old for everything!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm 70 . . .and as Henry Fonda (as Norman Thayer, 80yrs) said in "On Golden Pond", "It got here so fast."

Corky

Added: Youth is fleeting, but I can be immature forever.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2006 5:06 PM

Rincon, GA(Zone 8a)

My kids (teens) are always telling me I'm old. What do they know?? I'm 41 and loving it. I'm at a point in life that I don't care what others think of me. I do believe gardeners live life fuller and longer. They stop to "smell the roses" and have something to look forward to each day.

Age is a matter of mind! (Of course, tell that to my body after I've worked in the yard all day! LOL)

Sheila

Thumbnail by Sheila965
Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9a)

Well i glad to see that i am not the only 30ty something
to enjoy gardening!

Al

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

62 this coming February and I've already reached the "pleasant day" mentioned above and have quit striving to be young or slender! The hair on my head is gray... I've earned everyone of them and I don't plan to cover them up! Life's good. Grandchildren are truly Grand and I'm still hooked on my garden even though it was just too hot to spend much time out there this year. Was status quo no changes just maintenance and several more pounds accumulated than usual without the extra exercise. Hoping for a cooler summer in '07!

Madison Heights, MI(Zone 5b)

In March I will celebrate the 20th anniversary of my 25th birthday! It just keeps getting better every year too :-)

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

As you've known, I am 43 years of age.In China people say when a person steps into 40s,
he has reached a span of 'willing period', that is, whatever he wants to do something he is will to do, he just does it.
Gardening is my life-long hobby. Though there are not so many masterpieces worth being proud in my yarden for the time being, yet I find serene peace. And that is more important, what can I ask more from it?
picture: My new bonsai. Plant: sisal; English Name: Bill-to-Bill; Chinese Name: Duiho

Thumbnail by Jianhua
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Jianhua - Is this the sisal from the genus Agave? This plant can get 6 ft.! Amazing bonsai! I was in Beijing five years ago for a few days. I very much enjoyed visiting this fabulous city. The high point of the trip was the Great Wall, of course. We are thinking of making a return trip next summer. What or where in China would you consider a "must see" for a returning tourist?

Mary

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

A must see of China, as a nature lover, I think, is Xishuangbanna, a natural tropical botanical garden in Yunnan Province, where you can find various plants in the rain forests.
Yes, the sisal shown here belongs to Agave family.
BYW, beside the bonsai is a tiger. It is not a real one or a paper one. It is a cloth tiger, placing on the table or on the bed, used to scare away demons - a very popular folk artifact in my region.
Thanks for sharing.
Jianhua

Reynoldsville, PA(Zone 6a)

i will be 30 in march but i have 5 kid's(who tell me i'm old now) to keep me young although i'm dreeding the big 3-0. i enjoy being able to grow old with them and i wouldn't want it any other way.

the best part is i have 5 gardeners in training already and we all enjoy it together. i even got my dh hooked on it last year!! gardening is my theropy so to speak it gives me a hobby to love and enjoy and that i can share with many others. someday i hope to enjoy it just as much if not more with my grandkid's(hopefully that's not for a long time to come yet,lol).

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Don't dread the big 3-0. I'm going to be 50 in April and it's still just a number to me. You have years and years left to get old. (45 and on was the beginning of me needing glasses, and middle age spread.)

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

50 is the new 40.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yayyy! I quit smoking 10 years ago so ve gotten all my years back doubled!

Myrtle Beach, SC

52 is a breeze !! I've learned more than I thought I could about gardening in the last 4 or 5 years and lived to enjoy it :)) My roses are growing, my brugs got Winter burned but have put out new growth, my lilies and daylilies are multiplying and life is pretty darn good :)) Oh, did I mention my DH is 64 looks 54 and acts 44 ?? Yayyyy me !! There will always be obstacles....health being a major, but we take it one day at a time and keep looking forward to our afternoon siestas LOL. God bless you all, Margo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.