How old are we?

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)
There are a total of 895 votes:

I'm an octogenarian or older (80 and up)
(8 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I'm between 65 and 80 years old
(75 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I'm between 50 and 65 years old
(347 votes, 38%)
Red dot

I'm between 35 and 50 years old
(340 votes, 37%)
Red dot

I'm between 20 and 35 years old
(99 votes, 11%)
Red dot

I'm younger than 20 years old
(6 votes, 0%)
Red dot

It doesn't matter how old I am - I feel young!
(20 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm 36 and very happy to be alive and well. As Flwrlady said,...."beats the alternative!"!!!! Uh huh!

GH

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just squeaking in the 35 to 50 age group...will turn 50 in about 3 months.....still feel 16 and bulletproof though. Nobody better tell me I can't do something.....I'll prove them wrong.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

41 and counting.. :)

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

melody, you go, girl!

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

glad you asked this question this week, as next week it would change...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I fit in to the 35-50 range well. I always thought the average age here was 50, so we'll see what the survey says.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I've been around the Sun more than 75 times, and each year I watch the flowers come and go. I help them more now.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I think we're missing one answer...it doesn't matter how young I am, I feel old! some days, anyway LOL maybe it comes from being a grandmother at 39. now the first grandkid is approaching 18 and I don't hear 'oh, you look way too young to be a grandma' anymore :-) OK..you guys do the math

gram

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday, Huffy! Tomorrow I will turn 62--I feel privileged to have found DG this year. I wonder: do gardeners have a more balanced view of aging because of their total immersion in the way life cycles work in Nature?

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I am 42. I am not certain what happened, yesterday I was 16!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good answer! Me, too!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

This is my least favorite topic you've ever discussed here. :-))))

(I like that 35-50 range......it's the same age range I use for what age men I will date!)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Yeah! I'm in the majority! (that's the only good thing I can say about pushing 50) Will be 48 in 11 days - where have all the years gone? I don't feel 48.........most days............ :)

Debra

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I believe the cult of youth is a farce - or maybe a marketing campaign that we all somehow started to believe in. LIfe has become much happier as I've aged. I've begun to accept more and worry less.

Except about my plants. Now there, I worry!

BTW, 42 and looking forward to more.

Thomson, GA

CapeCodGardener - I think maybe we just appreciate the changing of the seasons more as they pass, 'cause we must have a little patience waiting for the fruits of our labor "next" season. I'm a pretty new gardener at (ahem) the big 5-0, and I know gardening has changed the way I look at things, for the better.

One of my favorite sayings is about wrinkles: "a wrinkle merely marks the spot where a smile has been."

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

One thing for sure, the older you get, the faster the season come and go! It will be Christmas in eight weeks... or seven... ???

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Older than dirt. Which comes in handy.

Seward, AK

59. Never really paid (nor will I) much attention to the chronology of my life. No hair dye, no make-up, nothing fake, just me.
Carol

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I do think gardeners have reason to live longer. It is just becoming evident to me how little I really know about the world of plants and how much fun it is to learn more and experiment with new things in the garden. At this time of the year, I am already ordering seeds and making plans for next season. Can't wait to see the first blooms on the new daylilies I planted last summer and also the old ones that have become like dear friends. Here is another quote I like by Edith Wharton:

"It spite of illness, in spite even of the archenemy sorrow, one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in a small way."

Susan

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm not sure if life is passing me by or trying to run over me.

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

43 springs and autumns has passed by before my eyes.
Still I am a senior bookworm and junior yardener.

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Just turned 46 this month! A little creaky at times, but not too bad!! I worry more about my plants than anything else!!!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2006 8:43 PM

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I suppose I could have divulged my age, but after a girl gets to certain age....We're not supposed to give it out, right? I don't feel my age & I don't act it either. ;-)

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

I am 58. There are blessings that weren't there when I was a lot younger, 3 to be exact with another on the way in February. The blessings, my grandchildren.

Great quote Susan: I believe in it, especially the thirst for knowledge and being curious.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I love the quote Susan posted. That is the way I feel also.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I keep trying to tell you guys, add the numbers together! At 38, my actual age is 11! :)

With my method, you can never be older than 18.

If you are so blessed as to live to see 18 (9+9), you get to start over at 1!

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

61 this month. Just started gardening about 2 years ago. Some days I get it done and some days it does me in :-)) It's supposed to keep my mind off my illnesses, but some days makes them worse. It is worth it when I look at those blooming beauties. Karen Shaver (liebran-our kennel name)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

62 here. For those of you about to reach the 60 mark - there IS life after 60 and as my high school classmates agreed the year we all turned 60 - it's sure better than the alternative. but if I followed Badseed's advice above, I'd only be 8 LOL

Ann

Crossville, TN

I don't know how I got to be 72!! As someone said above..."Yesterday I was only 40....tomorrow I may be 25. Jo

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Turn 26 next week ;)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I was a young 80 until I hit 80 this year. Health has been not too good this year but getting better all the time. Have gardenend alll my long life and hope to keep getting the fingers in the dirt. Donna

My namesake, the real PIRL, Pauline Isabelle Reid Loeffler, gardened on her knees until she was 88 and the arthritis hit her. She still continued to bend and weed until she was 95. She died at 102. What a wonderful teacher and role model she was.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

rutholive! You go girl!

I was 50 in April so had to pick the 50 to catagory! :-(

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

"...just yesterday I was 40". LOL! I can definitely relate to that. Where do those years go? Hey, I know for sure where the pounds go as age creeps in. I used to be able to work all day outside; now I work all I can and quit. Is that due to age or just getting smarter? And if 50 is the new 40, what is 60...the new 50? I'd love to know before I get there.
Young 58.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I agree with the "I feel 100" people! I'm 31, I've been managing an estate landscape since I was 24, working in all sorts of weather...and most mornings I creak like I'm 60. Still, somehow I managed to landscape my own yard this year... my 2 year old helps out at home in the garden and keeps me motivated... yesterday we cut down our kitchen garden and peeled open the dried tomatillo husks so they looked like lace flowers. The most fun I've had outside in weeks!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

50! Didn't phase me a bit to turn 50, just had another great day, took a vacation day to stay at home as is my practice, which is much better than a sad and brooding day!

By the way, since it had 50 in both, and it said "... to 50" I felt it was legitimate to mark that one, after all I am 50!

Later, Suzi

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I cant remember how old i am ......................... i just guessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehe
40 something i think..................

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Just turned 60 in September. Since the cooler weather has hit I really feel like 60. Art has come to visit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.