May daily weather. Spring is SPRINGING!!!!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Houston, Texas

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Blooms that is a beautiful rose, and I thought I was looking at my own hand there.
Andy, Speedwell is also a medicinal herb, thus "Speedwell". That is if my memory is good, LOL.
Debi, Thanks for the pretty picture. Come-by often and let us know what's happening with the skys too.
Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
70.0 °F / 21 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 63.5 °F / 17 °C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h from the West.
Here's some Purple Fan I have as a ground cover.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Cloudy - promise of showers - don't think they're going to happen.

Hi today - 75*
Low - 45*
Minor winds - breeze actually
Hum - 23% - you can see why I think it's not likely to rain
DP - 30*

A closeup of the Pleasure rose.

PS never heard of purple fan - it looks a wonderful plant.

This message was edited May 5, 2006 11:36 AM

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

The bleeding hearts make me remember spring in NY and the Texas and Calif shots make me yearn for a climate without the freezes of winter.
Citrus in your own yards. Flowers happy in the sun of eternal summeriness?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We got an inch of rain yesterday. Yayyy! It was hailing for a while, too. There is a 40% chance of rain this afternoon and a 60% chance of it tonight, so hopefully we will get some more.

Current conditions:
Clear 84°F (29°C)
Humidity: 50%
Wind Speed: Vrbl 6 MPH
Barometer: 29.93" (1013.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 63°F (17°C)
Heat Index: 85°F (29°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Sunny today, and 68F at the moment. It should get up into the 70s.

first waterlily of the year

Thumbnail by Kelli
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

As I read the new posts for today, I thought I might have the high temp, Marylin beat me by 1 degree.
Low was 51 F, High 83, currently 82, sunny with high, thin clouds. Light west wind.
Last night was the first that the heat did not go on since last Fall, Spring is here....
Sidney, I've seen that 'fan' plant before, very pretty.
I'm sitting in the back yard right now, inhaling the most wonderful Apple blossom fragrance. Actually it's the Crab Apple. It's not quite fully open yet so the pic will have to wait, LOL.
I did take a pic of an Apple blossom today.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

High here was 93º (Mid Central Florida near Disney) and NO rain in sight for the next 15 days. I'm ready to move back to the Appalachian Mountains!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's cold here! Whine. 60* and a north breeze. Hardly any sun.

Here's my fern peonies on the backside of the Half Moon bed.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Billy what a pretty chilly Yard!
Everyone's pictures are so pretty. Keep them coming.
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Hi all, sorry that I just disapered on you. Too keep my "sanity" (the little I have) I have been doing the best thing one can do for that. Building things and gardening

We skipped spring and seems to be jumping strait to summer. Daily temp has been for the last couple of days a (for us) wopping 68 F. Night temp a "bit" lower around 50 F And the sun is shining or should I say was..........its sunset now.

I am building a porch and have fenced in the front yard so that Tayson can SAFELY be out all day and dont have to ware that dredded collar
I have also cleared some flowerbeds grrrrrrrrr NEVER plant Scilla in a flowerbed (not shown in pic) like some one has here it takes foreve to get rid of and takes over everything.Scilla belongs in the lawn.

Now dont laugh at my work. I dont have a fortune to spend so I took what was availible and made the best of it and the frontyard (read scrapyard) is all big rocks under that gravel so the poles ended up in different hights. I have done half the porch and on monday I am getting more wood. Along the fence I am going to make smaller raised flower beds. This area has only been used as a parking lot.
Hugs to you all
Janett

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Janett, well you certainly have been busy... that's a huge project... I love the fence/rail to display plants against. Keep us posted, this is inspiring. I have a front yard in total need of total re-doing. So I'll be watching for ieas to steal - like the fence thingy ~waving to Janett~~ ~Blooms

I think that the white fence and porch posts add to the house. Is that kind of roof typical in Sweden? Do the windows open? Do they swing out or up?

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Thank you,
Blooms just steal away :0))
No this house is absoluty not typical for Swedish house look, Its made of some famouse 50:s Danish arcitect. the window all swings both up and down so to speak. The hinges is placed on the middle on both sides. The top floor window, because the roof is so steep is an absolut nightmare to clean because you cant fully swing them all around so you have to sort of lay flat on your tummy across the window to reach the whole thing.
The arcitect that drew this house was NOT for a split second in to functional, just looks. He even made one window above the garage so wrong so it couldnt be opened at all , they had to move the hinges to the the shortest side. imagine two hinges on the side that is just about 1 foot and holding not a rectangular window but still 3 1/2 squarefeet and very heavy window...................had it repared last summer.glad the landlord payed for that :0))
But one thing Danish arcitect are good at its space this house looks rather small from the outside but when you get in......... its humungus.
On the ground floor I have two average bedrooms with good space for kingsize beds, large kitchen and hall bathroom and toilett and a wopping 177squarefeet livingroom (think the mesure is right) its 54 square meter.
On the topfloor its one normal sized bedroom and one huge bedroom. and a middle space large enough to furniture with TV and sofas etc. and there is also another floor "behind" the house with four bedrooms bathroom and a separate toilett.
and all this for 3 people and a dog :)) oh and I have garage space for 4 cars and rotflmao I dont even have a drivers license........
Janett

So you can't put screens in the windows?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Janett, Glad you're back.

Another great day, High was 81 F low 56, currently 70.
Had a clear start then clouded over as a cold front came through around 3 PM.
Light north wind and mostly cloudy, now. Easy to take.

I mowed the lawn for the first time of the season, after I took the pic of my Bobwhite Crabapple. I couldn't wait any longer, it's 90% open - close enough.
Andy P

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Thanks Andy
Kelli
I can but have to take them down if/when I open the windows or they fall out. I dont have to open any windows on the lower floor if I want to air the rooms. on the other side I have a balcony all along the house and a balcony door both in the living room and my bedroom.
The lower part of the window goes out and the top part goes inwards.
Janett

Just beautiful Andy, Welcome back Janett. Fence looks great.
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Well the summer weather seems to stay, at least that is what this weeks forecast says
Temp 70 F
night aroung 50+ F

Slight change of plans for the porch :0))
Thursday afternoon a Dove came flying....... circled around my head 3 times and finally landed ON my head. He is completely tame and absolutly raised by humans, we can pet him, touch him even "grab" him around his whole body without him freaking and trying to get free as a wild bird ones helpt by humans would.

He also have a fungul infection on his feet that only caged birds can get (medicin tomorrow). This bird wont leave and we tried to get him too so the only safe place that he would follow to was the garage. I cant let him live in there and cant have him loose on the property since this bird obviously cant fend for himself. Tayson will get him (hate birds) or the dovehawk that prowles the property several times a day.We alsao have had some problems with wild cats, saw traces of one today in my flowerbed.
So a big part of the porch will turn into a birdcage so he will have company. Dont get me wrong I will let him out also just making sure there is a safe place for him to come back too.
I have tried to find if someone has doves around here or is missing a dove but no thing turned up.
So this is how it looks today.......From the window the back part of the porch where the white garage door is will be turned into a cage. Already have the beams up and I think you can see where the door is gonna be!
Janett

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It rained again! Woo hoo! There is a good chance of rain everyday this week until Thursday when a cold front (well, more of a cool front, really.. when the high is still going to be in the 80's after it goes through, it's hard to call it "cold"!) is going to come through and settle everything down. The garden is looking much happier. The weeds, of course, are thrilled and need some serious pulling. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this afternoon if it isn't raining already.

Current conditions:
Overcast 83°F (28°C)
Humidity: 72 %
Wind Speed: SE 7 MPH
Barometer: 29.85" (1011.2 mb)
Dewpoint: 73°F (23°C)
Heat Index: 89°F (32°C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi.

Marylyn, These are more "Just slightly Cooler frounts", LOL
Here it's slightly gray and there with rumors of rain, ROTFLMBO!!!!!!
Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
82.4 °F / 28.0 °C
Thunderstorm
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 56 °F / 14 °C
These are the 3rd year of my favorie Caladiums.
Sidney
Wind: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

A lovely Caladium (sp?) Sidney.......our local greenhouse just got a shipment of them from Florida.

Currently:
72 °F / 22 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 39 °F / 4 °C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h from the West
Wind Gust: 17 mph / 28 km/h
Pressure: 29.58 in / 1002 hPa

Tonight
A few clouds. Wind west 30 km/h becoming light this evening. Low plus 39°F / 4°C.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Let's try this again, must have been a glitch at Daves this afternoon.

Very pretty Caladium, Sidney.

This will likely be the last really nice day for us this week.
Low was 40 F, high 69, currently 64.
East wind at 8, Dew Point is very low at 22. The high clouds are thickening.
Extremely high pollen counts this week are killing me. The older I get the worst it gets.

Forecast is for another ocean storm to back in on us. Showers starting tomorrow and becoming a general rain until Saturday. This should reduce the pollen and the fire danger.
Lets see if we can get another inch or two of rain.

Here is my last Tulip.
Andy P

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We had a trace of rain this AM but not enough to wet the cement sidewalk. Temps in the 60's throughout the day. No more moisture expected until Thursday - when there is a 'chance'.

I'm irrigating my 2006 seedling plants. The 2004 seedling daylilies are growing 2/3/4 fans but they may not bloom unless we get a substantial rainfall. We are on a well so I can't water everything.

I have planted about 60 new daylilies so far and am using my old method of a 2 gal bucket of water to plant each plant. Then mulch. This will keep the newbies good for about 2 weeks. Hoping for rain.

Cold and windy tonight - upper 50's. The wind actually dried off any moisture we got this AM.

My tulips are over - columbine starting to bloom in some spots. Also see the annual somniforium poppies are coming up. The perennial Dianthus is just beginning to bloom with that wonderful clove-nutmeg scent. Will post a pic when it is further along.

Andy, your white crabapple tree is glorius.

Sugar, I love your caladiums. I had Parks Seed Co send a mix of pink, white and red to my daughter in Fla. for a Valentines day surprise. The leaves are more 'strappier' though.

Wonderful Cloudy morning here. Precipitation 0.47in / 11.9mm. Heres what WU says right now.

71.1 °F / 21 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 68.3 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h

I'd do a rain dance, but I don't think it would help.
I have Caladiums planted several places and just waiting for them to come up.
I have been very dissappointed with all the bulbs I ever purchased in a bag at WM.
Here is Jeremy's prettiest..........Can't think, LOL, I know but can't for the life of me think!
Sidney
Edited to add it's an Amaryllis

This message was edited May 9, 2006 9:30 AM

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hey Sugar, Looks like we MIGHT get a little rain today! I looked out about 3AM this morning (calling the cat) and I could smell the smoke from all the wildfires. There was a haze across the moon also. They've closed portions of I-95 and now some of the secondary roads going towards Lake O because of low visibility. So scary! At least the humidity is back up some.
Pati

Observed At: Ft Pierce, Florida
Elevation: 23 ft / 7 m

73 °F Clear
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the SW

Yes Pati, I think the rain is headed your way http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=MLB&ty
pe=N0R
Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Cool, grey, and dimly lit out there today.
They promise showers today, I don't really expect any water to fall from the sky but the lack of sunshine makes it cooler for the raking job I have in the yarden today.

Now: 58*
Hi: 78*
DP: 28*
Hum: 32%

And I'm joining Billy in the whiiiine - it turns out 58* feels chilly. I went out to take pics and my hands actually felt the chill. Here's my Peace rose today.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice Rose, Blooms.
The predicted showers have given us a quarter inch so far.
Low was and is 44 F high 49, East wind at 15, gust to 34. Wind chill 36.
No sun predicted until Sunday, maybe.

Andy P

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

All you pictures.........just yummy. The Peace Rose oh how good they smell, can sence it all over to here.
Todays temp is still 70 F
Nightemp expected 48 F
Humidity 39%

Well the birdcage got finished today and the dove moved in and he is thrilled, even put in a (dead)small cherry tree and some branches for him.
Janett

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a great cage, Janett! I'm glad the bird found you. :-) I've never seen a black dove before... Around here they are usually grey, brown, or (a very dirty!) white.

~ Marylyn

Current conditions in Houston:

Mostly Cloudy 88°F (31°C)
Humidity: 63 %
Wind Speed: S 12 G 17 MPH
Barometer: 29.72" (1006.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 74°F (23°C)
Heat Index: 97°F (36°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

There's a small chance of rain tomorrow and Sunday.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice bird cage, Janett.
Have you named the bird yet?

These 'showers' have turned into a steady, wind driven rain.
Two thirds of an inch, so far. It's been raining for 6 hours.

Sarah and I are bored, so I snapped a couple pics.
Andy P

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

LOL Janett, looks like you got a pet dove. Why would he want to leave such kingly accomodations?

My whole yarden is a competition in rose scents. On the far side of the front yard is a Jadis that you can smell the minute you round the corner. The Peace is over by the near fence and you hafta get fairly near to smell its wonderful fragrance. Halfway down the side yard you start to smell and 'see' the Pleasure rose in its overwhelming full bloom state.

the only way to smell the Tropicana is to bury your nose in one, which is difficult to do as all its flowers are from 7 to 10 feet in the air. Or up the Redbud tree in the one case.

AndyP, Am jealous of your quarter inch, our clouds are moving steadily eastward, all chance of showers is moving into Colorado. waaah.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Another beautiful 75 degree day in Pa. The rain which was expected for Wednesday may not come until Friday (I sure hope). We are under a high pressure dome and clouds just go north (from the midwest) or south (From the Atlantic seaboard).

I am thankful we do not have Florida's wildfires. Hope they soon get rain. I am searching for upliting things and found these Lilies of the Valley.

Thumbnail by se_eds
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I went strawberry picking with my daughter and grandbabies yeaterday and had to wear a sweat shirt!Sweat shirt weather on May 9th.I usually just wear the sweat from May on.I am not complaining because I am not a fan of hot and humid but it's coming,maybe today.

I hope you guys in Florida get rain.I remember the fires of 1998.We left S Florida in 1999.

The pictures are great.I'm starting to think of buying a camera.

Nancy
coastal SC.

Blooms the peace Roses are beautiful, and the the Lilies are truly uplifting Seeds.
i too want that lucky birds name Janett and Sara truly looks Bored.
Nancy, I love my Canon Powershot, and it has never had to be repaired. It's only bad is it's operator, LOL. I know we want to see your pictures too.

It's still cloudy out, but we haven't had any more drizzle.........dern-it!
Overcast
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 64.6 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
50% chance of precipitation
At least that sounds encouraging.
Sidney

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

So far this storm has dropped one inch of rain.
Low was 44, high 46, wind NNE at 12, gust to 29, cloudy with drizzle.
There is a slim chance of a little sun tomorrow, then heavy rain Friday evening.

Who else has a 'Rain Gage'? They are cheap and easy to find in the 'Yard and Garden' department.
Another boring day for Sarah, she just stands in the living room and stares at nothing. She likes to look out the storm door but not when it's raining.
Andy P

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Another beautiful sunny day in Pa. High is supposed to be 80 this afternoon. My DH and I planted out 20 tomato plants this AM, then he said we should "rest up, once". Sure can tell he comes from Pa. LOL Now I have to get together 20 buckets to cover them up when we get the next frost.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Cool cloudy and barely 70* with a north breeze. Pear tree and asparagus roots came today. 3/10'' rain yesterday. Woke at 3:30am to thunder. Perfect!
Fern peonies are beautiful and scented.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

It hit 93 today here, warmest day yet this spring, but pleasant w/low humidity. Now it's a beautiful evening.
75 °F / 24 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 54 °F / 12 °C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h from the NW

For your enjoyment, almost as close as you can get to perfection (except for my camera skills) 8-) Janet

Thumbnail by jcangemi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.