Daily Weather, January 2006, New Year, New Start!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, yeah i saw that monkey too [WINK]

hve been having morning temps in the 20s, might be warmer tomorrow!

Yes, i knew Ben was 300 yesterday, just forgot to tell anyone but my n ieghbor,a nd she already knew [she is so old, she probably met him LOL]

Currently:
55° Dewpoint: 12° Wind: SW 16 MPH
Humidity: 18% Pressure: 29.76 in Hg

Average: High 49° Low 23°
Record: High 76° (1986) Low -3° (1984)

Today's Sunrise: 7:54AM
Today's Sunset: 5:59PM (10:05 hours of sunlight)

Current conditions data read at Wed 9:51PM CST from Hutchinson County Airport (the nearest weather reporting station).

WOW, only getting down to 46 inthe AM!!! it may be dry, but not too cold or windy, YIPEE!

tf

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Some missreading they did for this weekend. At first they said it was going to be rain and up to 8 dgr Celsius and its going to be MINUS 8dgr Celsius and a LOT of snow.
So the weather forecast for the next few days:
Temp between 10 dgr F and 17 dgr F and a lot of snow, so they are sending out warnings for weekend travelers not to be on the roads.
Look like spring is even further away :( and the x feet of snow is coming back.
Stay warm
Janett

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

sorry Janett!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Greetings from *the* windy city.

Updated Jan 19 10:45 a.m. PT
Canoga Park, CA (91304)
Fair
56°F
Feels Like
56°F
Wind: From NNW at 22 mph
gusting to 37 mph
Humidity: 38%
Pressure: 30.14 in.
Dew Point: 30°F
(Actually, it doesn't "feel like" 56F, it feels warmer than that. I was out without a jacket and felt fine, wind and all.)

A Wind Advisory remains in effect until 3 PM PST this afternoon.

Areas of north winds 25 to 35 mph with local gusts to 45 mph...
slowly subsiding later this afternoon.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

The 7 or 8 inch snow drift across my driveway all melted off today...low 50s.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Just 2 hours ago I came back from a trip to the store. Have stocked up with food so I don't HAVE to go out for about 2 weeks, just have to let the dogs out, and they hardly want to go, just some quickies.
The snowing is on its third day and the wind have been picking up. It looks more and more like a snowstorm.
Outside my front door I now have a snow drift 4 1/2 feet high. The neighbour have already plowed my driveway ones when I was at the store today and its already 1 feet of snow on it.

wind is 22 mph
Temp : 17 dgr F

Also bought some extra heater so we wont freeze our butts of, just keep your finger crossed that we don't loose the electricity.
Stay warm and safe, I sure as heck wont set my foot outdoors until this baby calms down.
Janett

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Janett is the amount of snow you are getting more than what you usually get?

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 2:26 PM

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Defenatly a LOT more then usual. The last two winter have been very hard. I just thank God that it isnt as heavy snow as it was last year when 10 years of forest/wood was knocked down and can only be used for heating now, so the price of usable timber for building is skyhigh and will keep climbing.
Janett

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Out of the last 14 years here 10 have been much warmer than usual (breaking recorded reading history). Have you read anything about the Gulf Stream changing?

edited to say I'll send you an article if you are interested.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 2:41 PM

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Cant you put it up here so everybody can read it, I sure for one is always interested in these matters.
Janett

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

An Ominous Current Event
London, Matthew Hart

In southern England, on the latitude of Labrador, the grass is green. The landlord's cats are padding along a flagstone border by the garden, and morning sun is striking sparks from the spikes of a little palm.

That this scene is possible in January at a point on the globe 800 km farther north than Toronto is because of a trillion kilowatts of heat released into the air by a limb of the Gulf Stream flowing northward west of Ireland. This great ocean current is now in danger of collapse. If the Gulf Stream goes, so does the heat. Things very quickly will get harder for the palms, the landlord's cats and, I guess, the landlord too.

Six weeks ago, researchers announced that a summer program of ocean monitoring had revealed a weakening of the Gulf Stream by six million tonnes of water per second-something like 30 per cent. If the heat from the current is equivalent to the output of a million power stations (apparently someone has worked it out), then if looked as if a few hundred thousand of them were going to shut down.

The forces of climate change deal their cards with disdain for the intuitive. Canada faces a future in which rising temperatures will rewrite the environment of the North and a navigable Northwest Passage will challenge Arctic sovereignty.

The United Kingdom, on the other hand, may find itself confronting not a rise but a drop in temperature. There could be snow cover in England for several months of the year, and a slump in net primary production--the sum of things that grow.

When the Gulf Stream story broke, the British press fell on it with relish, dealing out such headlines as: Britain faces big chill as ocean current slows; Alarm over dramatic weakening of Gulf Stream; Weaker Gulf Stream threatens Britain's climate.

It's not hard to imagine what might happen.

"Thys yere was the grete frost and ise,:" a Londoner wrote in 1410, "and the most sharpest wenter that ever man sawe, and it duryd fourteen wekes so that men might in divers places goo and ryde over the Temse."

In the Little Ice Age, which lasted for at least 300 years until the mid-19th century, people often skated on the Thames. In the hard winters of 1855, 1861, 1869, 1879 and 1886, a collapse in food production triggered bread riots in London.

In my first winter here, 2002-03, torrential rains flooded the southeast, and then turned to snow. Traffic ground to a halt. The Automobile Association scrambled hopelessly to respond to 2,000 accidents in an hour. Some train lines closed, stranding commuters.

The London Underground started grinding to a halt, line by line. I was riding home when my train came into Baker Street Station, where five lines meet. The conductor announced that the train could go no further, and we poured out onto a dangerously crowded platform. Then they announced that the station itself was closing. Police enforced the evacuation. Outside, I saw young women dressed in light coats and shoes weeping as the struggled into the blizzard.

Unable to find a taxi, I walked south to Bond Street station to see if I could board there. There were already guards posted at the entrance, and a scuffle had broken out between them and incensed Londoners. I got home five hours later, walking. The next day, stories erupted in the press about the ice age headed Britain's way.

It was just before Christmas, three years ago, that I first flew north to Aberdeen to investigate the apocalypse, and boarded a large blue-and-white vessel with the flag of St. Andrew snapping at her bow. This was the Scotia, a Scottish research ship, bound for a cruise into the seas from whose frigid depths the Gulf Stream draws much of its strength.

The Gulf Stream is the north-bound surface expression of a system that returns cold water at depth back south--usually called the "overturning circulation" of the Atlantic. The warm surface water flows north to Greenland Sea. There, for the past 10,000 years, it has cooled, sunk and displaced the water below it, driving the now frigid water southward into the abyss.

This cooling and sinking is the key driver of the whole Gulf Stream system, apparently pulling the water northward behind it as it sinks. Scientists sometimes describe this action as a pump, and that particular site as the Greenland pump. At the Marine Laboratory in Aberdeen, researchers had begun to suspect that the pump was failing.

One source of this suspicion was the fortunes of a tiny animal called Calanus finmarchicus, a translucent crustacean smaller than a grain of rice. Forty years ago, Calanus made up half the supply of zoo-plankton in the North Sea; by the time I arrived in Aberdeen, that population had collapsed by half. Since fish eat zooplankton, and Scotland had an important fishery, scientists wanted to discover what had happened. Mike Heath, a researcher in the field of mathematical biology, thought he knew.

The diet of Calanus is phytoplankton, the green matter of the sea. Because there is less phytoplankton in winter than in summer, Calanus goes into a kind of winter hibernation, drifting with the currents into deep, cold-water pockets. Mr. Heath believed that those pockets lay in the Faro-Shetland Channel, and in 1993 he sailed out into the strait and dropped a plankton net.

"It was very exciting," he said, "because we thought that's where they wintered, but you never know until you find them."

Perhaps it is a rarefied passion, the study of a minuscule shrimp, but it has it's moments. Take the way they mate. After sleeping through the winter at a depth of 800 metes, they begin to stir.

"The first ones to wake," Mr. Heath said, "moult (physically alter) to adult males and start to swim upwards, but they stop at around 400 metres below the surface and sit there in a layer. As time progresses, an increasing number of the animals that wake up moult into females, and these swim right on up to the surface--through the layer of males. We assume that the males are lying in wait for the females and ambush them on their way to the surface."

Their Saturnalia done, the sated zooplankters drift on currents that carry them back to the North Sea to get eaten.

Having located Calanus's wintering ground, Mr. Heath moved to the second part of his hypothesis; Since fewer numbers were showing up in the North Sea, correspondingly fewer should be found upstream in the Faro-Shetland Channel. This also proved true, prompting a further supposition that the number of Calanus had declined because their habitat had shrunk. In other words, there was less cold, deep water in the channel than there had been before. Since the Greenland pump was the source of that water, the decline of Calanus reinforced an idea already taking root in researcher's minds. The pump itself was failing.

"Pump" means not a single site, but a whole series of sites where cold water forms from the warmer water of the Gulf Stream. Some call them "chimneys", but the action is the same: cold water forming, sinking and flushing deep water below it southward into the Atlantic.

A line of sills rises from the seabed between Scotland and Greenland, forming a impediment to the flow of bottom water south. The greatest volume of this southward flowing water takes the channel between the Faros and Shetland, where a gap in the sills at Faro Bank provides the widest opening into the abyss.

And so on a bright December day, with a sparkling sea and a spanking breeze, Scotia came into the strait and began a sampling run that would carry her back across the seaway towards Shetland.

Taking a census of Calaus is an exacting task. It is crucial to know not only the depth at which you catch them, but also that you are catching all of them at that point. The number of ways to do this is stupefying: If you type "plankton net" into google you will get more that 800,000 results.

Generally one should tiptoe around such exotica, but in the person of John Dunn, chief scientist of the cruise, Scotia carried a man so besotted by plankton nets that only a few words about them seems polite.

Mr. Dunn is a tall, grey-bearded Scott with piercing blue eyes and a pleasant growl. The contraption he hoisted overboard, which sampled the salinity and temperature of the water as well as capturing Calanus, was called ARIES, an acronym for Auto-Recording Instrumented Environmental sampler. It was his own invention, and the latest chapter in an eye-crossing saga of net evolution, a tale made dizzying by drop gates and bridles and slings.

First to Scotia came the Isaacs-Kidd net, an European contraption with an aquaplane depressor for taking it down. It was a troublesome device, and nothing more need be said about it.

Next came the English-made RMT 1+8. RMT stands for Rectangular Mouth Trawl, and 1+8 meant that there were eight smaller nets contained within the one larger net. The eight smaller nets were opened and closed acoustically from the surface and the whole things was, in Mr. Dunn's assessment, "bloody awful."

An American then developed MOCNESS, for Multiple Opening and Closing Net Environmental Sampling System. Dunn did not buy it, nor the next in this catchy vein, a Canadian offering called BIONESS. Instead, Scottish heart aflame, he seized the gauntlet and cam up with LOCHNESS-- Large Opening Closing High-Speed Net Environmental Sampling System--"possibly." Mr. Dunn averred, "the largest plankton sampler ever built."

LOCHNESS weighed 4 1/2 tons, stood 21 feet high and had five separate nets, each with a mouth measuring six feet square, and each mouth opening into its own 45-foot-long net. It took a flatbed truck to move it to the ship.

"It was a fairly large piece of steel to take charge of," Mr. Dunn admits. It had what seamen call a good grip on the water."

Too good a grip, alas. LOCHNESS, too went by the board.

Taking the pulse of a patient the size of the Greenland Sea requires more than counting plankton. Multiple measurements of temperature and salinity at various depths in the water column were scrupulously taken as the ship steamed back and forth across the Faro-Shetland Channel.

One of the crucial indicators of the state of the pump is salinity. To sink, a mass of water must not only cool, it must be salty too. Water sinks when it becomes denser than the water below it. Density is a function of both temperature and salinity.

Oceanographers Bill Turrell, from the Aberdeen lab, and Bogi Hansen, a Faroese, have scrutinized for years the water that pours down the strait at depth and funnels through the gap at Faro Bank, When they begun their study in 1990, they found that the pump was sending about 1.5 million cubic metres per second of cold, salty water through the lower stratum of the gap. Five years later, that flow had dropped by 5 per cent. In ocean terms, a swift plunge. But was it a blip, or a longer trend?

The scientists had a context to help answer this: 50 years of measurements from Ocean Weather Station Mike, a weather ship at the edge of the Norweigian Basin. Mr. Hansen developed a model based on Mike's salinity measurements from 1950 to 1990, and asked the model for a forecast of the next five years. The forecast matched exactly what the oceanographers had found themselves from sea measurements, inviting the conclusion that the decline in the pump's production was part of a longer trend, and not a hiccup. Moreover, the model revealed that a measurement of the decline since 1950 showed a drop of 25 per cent. Now, in the latest reports last month, the Gulf Stream System seems to have weakened a further five percentage points. Why?

The evidence points to global warming. Greenland's icecap has been shredding itself into the northern seas at an accelerated clip, and ice is fresh water. The top 1.5 kilometers of the Greenland Sea have rapidly freshened. This robs the pump of it's salty power, and it is a fresher, weaker current that it now sends south.

From Faro Bank, the water follows a snaking route until at last it descends the Greenland slope into the abyssal reaches of the Labrador Sea, another pump whose deep water has also been freshened.

"Other observations confirm," Mr. Turrell and five other oceanographers wrote in an earlier edition of Nature, :that the deep and abyssal freshening we describe has already passed equatorward along the North American seaboard in the Deep Western Boundary Current.

With 'new and stronger' evidence of anthropogenic warming, coupled climate models seem to be reaching some kind of consensus that a slowdown of North Atlantic Deep Water production and of the" ...overturning circulation will be one outcome"

They appear to have been right. Peter Wadhams, an ocean physicist at Cambridge University, checks the state of the pump on voyages through it in Royal Navy submarines.

"Until recently," he said, "we would find giant chimneys in the sea where columns of cold, dense water were sinking from the surface to the seabed 3,000 metres below, but now they have almost disappeared."

A feature Mr. Wadhams used to look for was the Odden Ice Shelf, which formed in the Greenland Sea in winter. It has not done so since 1997. "In the past, we could see nine to 12 giant columns forming under the shelf each year. In our latest cruise, we found only two, and they were so weak that the sinking water could not reach the seabed."

Scientist do not all agree about what is happening, or how fast. Peter Killworth, a theorist at Britian's National Oceanographic Centre in Southhampton, said, :When Iheard them release their numbers (In Nature, in November), I kept my mouth shut. They said there was an error factor of plus or munus 30 percent, but it could be more."

Mr. Killworth wonders if a Rossby wave might have distorted the findings. A Rossby wave is an enormous submarine formation, from trough to peak the height of a 15-storey building that moves at caterpillar speed through the ocean, from east to west, taking years to cross. Sometimes they are called "planetary waves," they are thought to be generated by a combination of forces, including winds and certain effects from solar heating. The waves are a mechanism for stirring local climate evens into the broad ocean, and a wave's passage could have an impact on sea temperature.

Mr. Killworth insists that years-long monitoring is the only way to understand exactly what is happening to the Atlantic's overturning circulation.

As to timelines, no one delivers ironclad predictions. Mr. Wadhams, who did the submarine surveys, and Richard Wood, a climate modeller, envisage global warming eventually compensating for the loss of heat from a failure of the overturning circulation.

The problem is that no one can say when this balance would be reached, any more than they know when, or absolutely if, the stream will stop. There could well be a gap of decades between one effect and the other, and if there where, Britain would be devasted.

Mr. Wood runs one of the world's three or four most sophisticated climate models at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire. He has modelled a shutdown of the Gulf Stream, and said temperatures would fall by 5 degrees Celcius--the steepest plunge in temperature in 8,000 years. For comparison, the difference between the medieval warm period, when vines grew in England, and the Little Ice Age of the 1600s, was not much more than one degree.

"A small temperature fall," Mr. Wood said, "would have huge consequences. You would have severe winters and the summers would be significantly cooler. The knock-on effect would be felt in agriculture, and rainforests (north of the Amazon River) would become shrub land."

In the Hollywood disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow a failure of the Gulf Stream plunges the world into catastrophe. Suddenly Manhatten is encased in ice and the Royal family freezes to deathin London. Although the scenario was fanciful, some scientists welcomed the movie for attracting attention to the climate. "There is one scene where Hall [the scientist played by Dennis Quaid] stands up at a conference to express his concerns," oceanographer Meric Srokosz said, "but says he cannot guarantee what will happen. That is the sort of thing I would do."

It is the sort of thing most of them would do. The ocean is so vast and the forces acting on it so profuse that auguries are hedged. This proper scientific caution can promote a feeling in the wider community that, whatever happens, it won't happen now.

After two weeks at sea, three years ago, Scotia ran a last pattern of sampling lines off Shetland and then turned her bow for home. I had made friends with a young oceanographer , Sarah Hughes, a woman of indelible ferocity. We were standing together on the last day at sea, watching the grey coast of Scotland harden into sight.

"What amazes me," she said, "is, I give a talk to the Salmon Trust, and they have hopes that they can make things go back to the way they were. They own Salmon Rivers. They have memories of their youth, when they could go out and catch big salmon. They remember what things were like when they were young, and they want them that way again."

"And I try to say, our climate is going to change. amd rapid change, one way or another, and human influence has caused the change to happen faster. There were other speakers, and they were telling them how everything was going to be okay. I was last, and I said, everything's not going to be okay."

Matthew Hart is a Canadian writer based in London. His latest book is The Irish Game.

The Globe and Mail
Saturday, January 14, 2006.

It was written a year or two ago.......A search on the internet says at least one pump has been found in the arctic and another off Norway.

The above article was also published in Granta.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I didn't put it up for anything other than curiousity about how the weather is changing in Europe. I'll delete it if it causes a problem.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

63.7°, 33% sunny, calm, nice

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

And this article is only written to enlight the problems that has been proved on the europeen side. The changes in the Gulfstream does also affect the whole globe. I am a scientist news nerd in that way that I do read alot on these topics and watch discovery and such and you only have to look out the window to see that something isnt right.
Regarding the salt in the golfstream, all the fresh water suage we (all countrys) poor out in the seas/oceans DO affect the Gulfstream, our pump to make good weather.
Janett

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's raining! It's raining! It's... well, it WAS raining! LOL Pretty hard, too, for a bit there. I hope it's not copletely done for the day. We could use a LOT more!!! The good news is they have changed the forecast for the week and it looks like there is a good chance of rain every day. Yayyy!

Current conditions:
Overcast with Haze
71°F (22°C)
Humidity: 79 %
Wind Speed: S 14 MPH
Barometer: 29.97" (1015.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 64°F (18°C)
Visibility: 3.00 mi.

Edited to say: Thanks for posting that article, Lilypon. It was very interesting! :-)

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 3:41 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Lilypon, Thanks for posting that article. One thing I can feel good about is that if dramatic climate changes occur and food production is affected, The people who frequent this site will be able to grow food to meet their requirements.
again thank you. - Dyson

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Something to think about (and plan for.......our crops will have to be planted differently) that's for sure....we here are *really* noticing it.

We've had posters from the Government for a number of years now about the changes that are happening but this is the first I've seen regarding the Gulf Stream.

Congratulations on your rain Marylyn! :)

This message was edited Jan 20, 2006 4:25 PM

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

very interesting, thanks!

we got the cold and the wind, but not the precipitation first promised.

sorry about all your snow, Janett!

tf

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here we are in April, High temp 58F, low 34, light SSW wind and blue skies.
OH wait it's still January!!! Could have fooled me.
Andy P

It's like the eastern U.S. is having and El Nino and the West is not. We've been having what seem to me to be normal temperatures, but the rainfall amount is way down.

The cold weather in Europe reminds me of a story how during WWI, it was bitterly cold in the trenches in France - as cold as anyone could remember - yet in the U.S. the president was able to go golfing in January.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Lilypon thanks for the article. I copied it out for my son too.
None of it is new information for either of us, but it is interesting to see it strung together in this fashion. We've talked about skating on the Thames before.

We had another snowfall on Wed morning and again by tonite it is mostly gone except where the sun cannot touch it. This one actually made the soil slightly damp. We could use some honest moisture, tho we're not hurting as bad as Flagstaff - with one inch of snow instead of 40 to 50.

Our high today only 37* but with our low humidity it feels warmer on the south side of the house. I dug under the leaf mulch and found the daffys are above the dirt by and inch. omygoodness it's too early for that.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Lilypon, thank's so much for the most interesting article. I'm going to copy it off also. Being on the opposite end of the Gulf Stream than you all, anythng about it always catches my attention. For instance, watching the temps of the waters rise at the beginning of hurricane season. (sigh)

Janett, now I'm going to expose my ignorance......I always thought Sweden was buried in snow all winter! I see that I need to get my old geography book out and brush up on northern countries.

It's strange here too.....two days ago, frost on the lawn...today highs in the 80's. I keeps me busy just pulling out the appropriate wardrobe for the day. LOL
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Good morning all. Lilypond please don't deleat that I really want to read it when I get a chance.
We didn't have Pati's frost, so I am hoping we don't. I'm 165 miles north of her. Go figure!!
I have been practicing welding all week so I've been too tired to log on.
Here it's 66.7 °F / 19.3 °C 66 °F / 19 °C 98% Calm 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa SUNNY!!!
It really doesn't feel that humid out.
Stay warm.
Hugs all,
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

patischell, the winter of 89-90 we had no snow at all and we could go without jacket and just wear a sweatshirt.
Sweden is a VERY long country and I belive the 5th largest Europeen county (ink europeen side of Russia). It only takes about 5 h to drive from east to west on the widest part but almost 2 days to go sout to north.
I live in the sout part and its the north part that has ALL that snow.
Here you have a picture from today showing my daughter Hanna when we are trying to dig us out to the driveway. She is 5 ft 1 inch, so you see we have abnormal snow for us.
Janett

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Opps forgot the picture

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Whoa,

From the perspective of a Southern Californian.....That's a lot of snow!

Hanna is a cutie,

best to you always,
don

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Pati/Sidney I wondered about your end too when I read it......if the cold arctic water isn't going down there then what is cooling the Gulf waters?

This message was edited Jan 21, 2006 4:53 PM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

When checking out the facts of the above article I also found this:

In the February 2000 National Geographic magazine there is a small article titled "End of an Ice Age, Onset of a Cold Spell" the page # isn't listed it is about 11 pages in from the cover........prior to the section where the pages are numbered.

"End of an Ice Age, Onset of a Cold Spell"
Roughly 18,000 years ago the ice sheet that extended south of the present-day Great Lakes began to recede. By about 8,200 years ago the leading edge of the ice had moved so far north that an ice dam blocking Lakes Agassiz and Ojibway in Canada melted and collapsed, loosing a massive flood.

According to a study led by Don Barber of the University of Colorado, more than a hundred trillion cubic meters of frigid water poured into the Labrador Sea and on into the Atlantic. The result: a shift in the warm Gulf Stream so great that average air temperatures fell as much as 15 degrees F in Greenland and 6 degrees F in continental Europe and stayed down for more than two centuries.

Barber and his co-workers identified a reddish layer of sediment that stretches 800 miles from Northern Hudson Bay into the Atlantic. Careful dating of the distinctive layer "put it spot on the onset of the cold spell," he says.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Lilypond, I have seen several scientific programs on just that topic and they have proved it to be accurate to almost 99% that it indeed occurred. and also the affects it had all over the globe.
They are concerned about our fresh water sewage out into the oceans doing the same thing, only slower.
Janett

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It looks like our April weather is over. It got up to 60F today with milky sky and a brisk south wind.
A sharp cold front just came through and the temp is dropping fast. North winds are howling up to 40MPH now.
Rain/snow is predicted for Monday.
Andy P

This message was edited Jan 21, 2006 7:27 PM

Hey, guess what?

... Wind Advisory in effect from 9 am to 6 PM PST Sunday...
... High wind watch in effect from Sunday evening through Tuesday
morning...

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has issued a Wind
Advisory... which is in effect from 9 am to 6 PM PST Sunday. A high
wind watch has also been issued. This high wind watch is in effect
from Sunday evening through Tuesday morning.

A Wind Advisory means that winds of 35 mph or greater are expected.
Winds this strong can make driving difficult... especially for high
profile vehicles. Use extra caution.

A high wind watch means that winds will potentially be in excess
of 45 mph with possible gusts greater than 60 mph. Be alert for
flying debris. If on the Road... keep eyes open for fallen trees
and downed power lines. Secure all doors and windows and stay
indoors if possible.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Finally got some sun today. yeaaaaaah but there's a price for the sun and clear blue sky............

-0 F is excpected toworrow. partially clody
Small and I mean small favors..........no wind (keeping fingers crossed for that)
Janett

Yes those clouds are great insulation. It's 68 at 10 AM here. Supposed to get to almost 80.
Sidney

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Rain threat dissolved and just some cloudiness forecast. Maybe we'll get some sunshine
here and there. Sure could use a sunny cheering up, as a dear friend passed away last night from terminal cancer. I know he isn't suffering now, and I'm happy I was able to be close by through his very fast illness and help him. But now there's such an emptiness.

Janett. . so glad you got some sunshine and you're well-stocked for the next few days of extreme cold.

46 °F / 8 °C
Overcast
Windchill: 43 °F / 6 °C
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 44 °F / 7 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h from the NW
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1024 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 3.0 miles /

Oh Janet a little prayer for you and that loss.
((((((((Hug)))))))
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

(((((Janet))))) so sorry for your loss.
Janett

Thumbnail by Janett_D
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so sorry, Janet. ((((((((((((((Janet))))))))))))))))
~ Marylyn

(((((((Janet)))))))

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 22, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
66 °F / 19 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 20 °F / -7 °C
Wind: 22 mph / 35 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 30 mph / 48 km/h
UV: 4 out of 16

Thumbnail by Kelli
Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and prayers. One sad, sad thing is that he was only 60 and left behind his 83 year old father and he is so lost now, even when surrounded by so many that love him. I guess only time and lots of love and support from his friends and family will ease that emptiness, tho it will never, ever go away. He just keeps saying over and over how it wasn't supposed to happen this way. It just wrenches your heart to see him. Thanks to all of you again for being a 'shoulder' for me and for your kindness.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Prayers for you Janet - may God's grace sustain you and yours. I guess anyone who loses a child feels the same way - it's not supposed to be this way.

tayson - your picture of the tree in the snow against that sky is stunning.

Temps in the 40's today, I was out checking daylilies and pulling weeds. National Weather service has issued a warning for ice, snow and freezing rain for tonight into tomorrow. Says we may get 5-6 inches of snow. Oh well, I haven't had to run the snowblower since sometime in December. If the temps are going to drop, it is good to have a good snow 'mulch'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.